malaysia

I Got To Watch 2 Kites Get Clipped Into CGK :)

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:06 pm

I forgot to post this earlier, but I was arriving around the early evening near Sunset into CGK in a MH A333 last week, and I was watching out the window on approach and saw some dark objects floating around, I thought they were big Vultures, but no! they were hand made kites. I saw swarms of them all above the houses that all surround CGK. and as we got closer, two kites went right above our wing and I guess they snapped. I tried to take a photo, but it was too fast.

I wondered how the Government in Jakarta allows the residents to just fly kites all over the place near CGK. They have one of the best residential properties in CGK, you can buy a house right next to the perimeter fences pretty much around each runway. An interesting fact, the houses are cheaper than apartments in Jakarta.

But too many kites were flying around maybe something to do with Ramadan Holidays? Reminded me of Barrage Balloons, as if they were doing it on purpose to see how many planes would hit the kites.

I need to have my camera more prepared next time I go into CGK.

I have a poor shot photo of some of the kites further out. you can see two behind the tip of the winglet.

The Irony is that MH has a Kite on the its tail, and some looked very similiar in construction and the big MH Kite cut through some  Smile

[Edited 2006-10-09 06:18:10]

[Edited 2006-10-09 06:19:02]
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

zeke

RE: I Got To Watch 2 Kites Get Clipped Into CGK :)

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:48 pm

It is a common event on 07L.

Sometimes at the threshold when lining up kites are only 50-100 above you.

NOTAM for pilots ....

A0990/06 - ALL ACFT ARE REQ TO CTN WHILE TAKE OFF/LANDING DUE TO KITES WI APCH AREA RWY 07 AND RWY 25 (REF AIP PAGE WIII AD 2-26) SFC 600FT 07 AUG 07:30 UNTIL 07 NOV 23:59
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

NASCARAirforce

RE: I Got To Watch 2 Kites Get Clipped Into CGK :)

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:23 am

I am glad to read that they were handmade kites. I thought at first I was going to read about the bird called the "kite" such as the Swallowtail kite, which is a beautiful bird.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos