Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:28 am

Courtesy: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Striking Mechanics, Northwest Reach Deal

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/731078.html

isitsafenow

RE: Striking Mechanics, Northwest Reach Deal

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:12 am

Well now, that's interesting news.
At least NW did not leave those forgotten folks hanging. Perhaps it is deal they can live with....we shall see.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Lumberton

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:19 am

From the article:

Quote:
f the deal is ratified by AMFA members, workers would be converted from on strike to layoff status.
Northwest agreed to pay up to 10 weeks of separation pay for workers who decide to resign their employment from the airline.
For workers who remain with the company on layoff status, workers will receive up to five weeks of severance pay.

Does this mean that the AMFA members would go to "the back of the line" behind the replacement workers if they ratify the agreement?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

m404

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:38 am

The current Northwest workforce consists of about 300 Northwest mechanics who crossed picket lines, 300 furloughed mechanics who chose to return to work and 280 new-hire replacement mechanics.

Of a total of 880 techs at NW nearly 600 are exAMFA? Is that right?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

AsstChiefMark

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:52 am

So if I get fired from my job, but pretend to still work for the company, and piss and moan long enough, I'll get promoted to "jobless?" That sounds like a real winner.   

Since I'd been a thorn in the side of my former employer, I'd be welcomed back with open arms. Right? And I'd be at the bottom of the recall list. Right? And we'll all pretend that nothing happened. Right?   

Well... Hot damn! Sounds like the best of all worlds.   

Mark

[Edited 2006-10-10 00:57:54]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Lucky42

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 2):
Does this mean that the AMFA members would go to "the back of the line" behind the replacement workers if they ratify the agreement?

Well, not really. They can't just jump in and displace the replacement workers. The people who choose to remain on layoff status will receive the 5 weeks severence pay and will have 2 yrs to be recalled to a postion than once back on the property seniority would rule so the new hire replacements could not out bid a striker. I think this has a real chance of passing because a lot of us never want to go back and just want to get it over with and get atleast something. For me it is some seperation pay and hopefully my stock money from a previous concession that nw never made good on.

Quoting M404 (Reply 3):
Of a total of 880 techs at NW nearly 600 are exAMFA? Is that right

That is essentally corrrect...the furloughed mechanics count as AMFA members

TVNWZ

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am

Needs to be ratified. No sure bet. Basically they go from On Strike to a) quit or b) layed off. Ouch.

m404

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:11 am

Lucky42

Thanks for addressing that so well. My next question is - how many NW tech are their on the property right now, active.

And best of luck where ever you go. Sorry it happened this way.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

Lumberton

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 5):
I think this has a real chance of passing because a lot of us never want to go back and just want to get it over with and get atleast something. For me it is some seperation pay and hopefully my stock money from a previous concession that nw never made good on.

I hope this thing works out for you. Good luck and God bless.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

charlienorth

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 5):

Well, not really. They can't just jump in and displace the replacement workers. The people who choose to remain on layoff status will receive the 5 weeks severence pay and will have 2 yrs to be recalled to a postion than once back on the property seniority would rule so the new hire replacements could not out bid a striker. I think this has a real chance of passing because a lot of us never want to go back and just want to get it over with and get atleast something. For me it is some seperation pay and hopefully my stock money from a previous concession that nw never made good on.

Best of luck..at this point in time it is probably best to "take the money and run" and it gives the guys that held out and want the chance of going back without being S#@%s
Work hard fly right..don't understand it