cumulus

Maho Beach - Is This Dangerous?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:32 am

Now I know this is every spotters paradise, on the beach with a beer watching the heavies landing - but is this not a bit on the dangerous side?

It's a Air France 747 throttling up for departure, but look at the jet blast into the water!! And are those people running with the jet blast into the sea or are they being blown?

What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Kevin777

RE: Maho Beach - Is This Dangerous?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:36 am

WOW!!!!!! Cool video! Don't know if it's dangerous, but it's awesome!! By the way, wasn't that a 747-200?? Does AF still operate these??

Kevin777
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

miamiair

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:37 am

They are running for the water to stop getting sand blasted. They call it riding the fence. A little wind at your back probably gets you into the water quicker...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

kmh1956

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:39 am

Sounds like fun.....definitely not fun for the wussies.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

BatonOps

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 1):
WOW!!!!!! Cool video! Don't know if it's dangerous, but it's awesome!!

Awesome is right. Althought I'd rather sit on the beach and watch all the landings. I could do without getting sand blasted!  Smile  Smile

ATAIndy

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 3):
Sounds like fun.....

It does sound like fun. I sure wish I was there, riding the fence as you say, Miamiair. It would sure beat school, which is where I am stuck at the moment.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

cumulus

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 am

Now this is much more like it!!!

What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Cumulus (Thread starter):
And are those people running with the jet blast into the sea or are they being blown?

When i was there the people were running into the water with the jet blast as an added "assistance".

As for the sand blasting... I did it for a BWIA 737-800 and it HURT... there is no way id do it for any sort of wide body. Start small with like DH-8 then work your way up till the pain isnt worth it  Wink

Maho beach should be on every aviation enthusists to do list.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

BatonOps

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 7):
Maho beach should be on every aviation enthusists to do list.

Isn't that the truth.  Smile  Smile  Smile A must see for anyone that loves aviation.

beech19

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:04 am

Start small with like DH-8 then work your way up till the pain isnt worth it

This is maybe the strangest statement i've ever heard. LOL No offense mean't by that.

Its just odd that we are discussing the pros and cons of the pain level of getting sand blasted by a jet engine. LOL
KPAE via KBVY

D L X

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 am

My question is, is there any chance at getting sucked into an engine when they're landing over your head?

IAHFLYR

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:12 am

If you've ever watched the take-off from the beach bar along the approach end, you'd call what these folks get "sandblasting"!  Smile It's fun but nuts to watch
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting Beech19 (Reply 9):
This is maybe the strangest statement i've ever heard. LOL No offense mean't by that.

Its just odd that we are discussing the pros and cons of the pain level of getting sand blasted by a jet engine. LOL

Its not the jet blast that hurts... its the speed at which the sand is traveling! And FYI... if ure at the fence... pray there is no FOD on the runway, it will pierce the flesh!

nonrevman

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:36 am

I wonder how often the sand at that beach has to be replaced.

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 13):

It just washes back up onshore  Wink

neilalp

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 13):

The nice thing is with nature it just washes back up on shore!

andrewuber

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 10):
My question is, is there any chance at getting sucked into an engine when they're landing over your head?

That's a big negative. Safety zones in front of engines vary from 15 to 50 feet, and I doubt an aircraft on short final could pick anything up at all.
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

beech19

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 12):
Its not the jet blast that hurts... its the speed at which the sand is traveling!

Maybe you should re-read what i said.

Quoting Neilalp (Reply 15):
The nice thing is with nature it just washes back up on shore!

Gotta love mother nature... There are pics of the "beach" after a hurricane came thru. Nothing but steep rocks. EEK!!
KPAE via KBVY

N766UA

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:38 am

It's certainly a good way to get dry after a swim!  silly 

As long as you close your eyes it's really not dangerous. Hurts a bit on the fence, though, because rocks and dust eat at your skin. Plus when I did it I held onto the fence and the chain link cut into my knuckles. Still Killer, though.
This Website Censors Me

Kevin777

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 pm

I so wanna go to Maho Beach as well!!! As everyone here I suppose.. it must be the Mekka for a.netters..

But actually, we have at least one little SXM in Europe.. (but there has to be many others though..): ZTH (Zakynthos, Greece)

Rwy is a just off the popular Laganas beach shore (just after a road), and it is such a pleasure to sit in the sand with a Mythos beer and enjoy the incoming a/c over your head... however, the runway is not as close to beach as at SXM, and the beach is a bit lower, so you cannot really see it from the shore... In addition, apart from the odd 767 (very rare) only narrow body a/c serve the apt, just not the same being sandblasted by a 737! However, the "paradise-meets-final" (= ultimate paradise) is still there at ZTH!!

Kevin777

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 787 File size: 231kb
ZTH final.... miss that island...

aa61hvy

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 pm

I'd try to run against the engine thrust, see if I can run in place, or get blown back...
Go big or go home

ClearedDirect

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:36 am

Had the opportunity to "ride the fence" two years ago.
We got a "thumbs up" from the co-pilot of a COA 757 who saw us standing at the fence when they turned onto the runway, held the brakes, throttled up and blasted off. Awesome experience to feel the heat and power of those engines.

blueflyer

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:41 am

Similar sandblasting video on YouTube, just a little bit weaker (A340) but a little bit closer (taken from the fence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPiPrxKvzY&NR
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

airbusfanyyz

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 2):
They are running for the water to stop getting sand blasted. They call it riding the fence. A little wind at your back probably gets you into the water quicker...

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 3):
Sounds like fun.....definitely not fun for the wussies.

Been there done it! One more thing crossed off my "things to do before I die list"

Cheers,
Kaz

TurkishWings

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:22 am

I stood behind departing aircraft several times when I was at SXM. At first, I stood on the beach which was a big mistake  Smile A tiny stone hit my head and it hurt like a b***ch for several days. But if you are holding on to the fence, facing the sea-not the aircraft, you should be fine... If you are wet before, you get dry in a few seconds... Its crazy but LOTS of fun...

Each and every aviation enthusiast should visit this island at least once in a lifetime....
Coffee - Tea or Me?

YHMYYZspotter

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:28 am

I remember hearing something about the beach being shut down for airport expansion. Is this still happening or was it just rumours? If so when is it going to happen. I want to plan a trip there next spring. Beer and airlines!

TurkishWings

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 25):
I remember hearing something about the beach being shut down for airport expansion. Is this still happening or was it just rumours? If so when is it going to happen. I want to plan a trip there next spring. Beer and airlines!

As far as I know, the airport extension was towards the other end of the runway....
Coffee - Tea or Me?

flydreamliner

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Beech19 (Reply 9):

Huh, when I go to St. Maarten I'll have to bring my hunting jumpsuit and my grinding mask so I can survive getting sandblasted by a 744.

I wonder what that would do to a camera lens..... i don't think I want to find out either.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

ZakHH

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 am

Dunno if this one was on here before. Probably yes. Nice anyway.

Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

toering

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:51 am

A Corsair 744 about killed me when I attempted to "ride the fence" last January.
I tell everyone that was the dumbest thing I have ever done..... but truthfully, that was the coolest thing I've done! I was filming with my camera and have all captured, but the sand that is embeded in it makes it not work so well. I wish I knew how to up or download the videos so ya all could see them. I was taken to the ground when the heat and pelting sand hit my exposed skin.....my Boeing ball cap that I was wearing flew into the ocean, and it's all on film. That was so awesome!!!! Words can not discribe what it is like at Maho. I can't wait to go back!!

Kevin777

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 26):
As far as I know, the airport extension was towards the other end of the runway....

I hope they're not changing anything at RWY 09 at SXM!!!!.... At least I wanna go there first..! Does anybody know exactly what they're doing??/ Hope it doesn't involve extending the runway; maybe it could mean less sandblast at Maho Beach....

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 24):
Each and every aviation enthusiast should visit this island at least once in a lifetime....

Can't wait till I make my first visit to the Aviation's Mekka....

Kevin777

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:39 am

In August I had the great experience of visiting Maho.

I thought I had cleared the threshold behind a Corsair 747-400 but forgot to take into acount that she has four engines and was blown away. I can say it wasn't exactly an enjoyable experience and had to grab on to my dad who was grabbing onto the fence in order not to be blown away. The heat and sand that was being blown into my face was pretty powerful and I did watch a couple of people on the beach get blown into the water.

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 127kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 175kb

Even standing behind a Dash-8 you get a little bit of blast.
No Vueling No Party

Jonno

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:58 am

Maho looks like the perfect honeymoon spot for two a.netter newlyweds! Imagine, all day, looking at aircraft taking off and landing, w/a cool drink in your hand!

lredlefsen

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:19 pm

Start small with like DH-8 then work your way up till the pain isnt worth it

Actually, in my very limited experience at another airport in the Caribbean, the widebodies give you *less* blast than, say, a 727. I think it has to do with the velocity of the exhaust gas -- the high-bypass ratio engines of, say, a 744 expel much more gas at slower speed than those on the 727. Sunglasses are definitely a good idea, though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos