JoKeR
Topic Author

Centavia Big Announcement?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:07 pm

My standard morning routine of browsing JU's, YM's and Centavia's websites for latest news and offers uncovered that Centavia's website appears to have been taken down with just a count-down clock on it and "Countdown to the big announcement" flash text....

Any guesses? I suppose scheduled flights finally? Cross-fingers!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

joekuboj

RE: Centavia Big Announcement?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Probably scheduled flights, because Serbian version says "Odbrojavanje do pocetka" (Countdown to beginning)

twocents 
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

RJ100

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:39 pm

This is great news! So I can only wish good luck to this young airline!  Smile

And a big welcome to my local airport BSL Big grin

Regards,
RJ100  Smile
none

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:11 am

OK, but what do we know right now? The sole future destination we know of is Basel and it's fine, but I'd like to hear something more. What happened to BUD, for example?
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:14 am

They will have some big announcement on Thursday at noon. So, we have 40 hours to guess.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JoKeR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 4):
They will have some big announcement on Thursday at noon. So, we have 40 hours to guess.

My guess is that they will start small and low key - I doubt that they will announce anything massive as they only have two aircraft at present and therefore cannot afford a major route network.

It will be interesting to see if their fares are really competitive or will they replicate what is already available on the market - hopefully not!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 5):

Well, with the exception of Basel and probably one or two destinations in Austria and Germany, my guess is that they will concentrate on regional routes. At least, I hope they will.

As for prices, it will be interesting to see that.

BTW, I tries to find out more on beg.aero but without success.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

RJ100

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Half an hour to go  Wink Big grin
none

joekuboj

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:01 pm

From EUR 9,00 to Europe. More details on Monday, October 16th

irked 
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 7):
Half an hour to go

Ahhhhh, they are playing a game with us.... but the fare is fantastic!!! Yipeee!!! 9 Euro! Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:48 pm

I hate that game  Angry "From 9 Euros to Europe", fine, but where in Europe  hissyfit 

Also, you might already add another 31 Euros for taxes (approximately that is how things are with Germanwings from BEG) for one way.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JoKeR
Topic Author

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 10):
"From 9 Euros to Europe", fine, but where in Europe

Hahaha, I thought the same but its obviously just a marketing build-up - I've seen it done before, though not in Serbia...

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 10):
Also, you might already add another 31 Euros for taxes

Very true, but then again, you pay taxes for all airfares, at least this only adds up to 40 euros, not 240 what I paid for a return BEG-CDG-BEG flight. Lets just hope that Paris is one of their destinations... Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 11):
Lets just hope that Paris is one of their destinations...

I want Budapest first so I could go there and spend the first day being fresh and fine and not tired and dizzy.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

RJ100

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:04 am

ok latest news from the Swiss forums are that Centavia initially will operate CHARTER flights (the 3 weekly mentioned earlier) into Zurich and then switches to Basel as soon as they receive all permissions to operate scheduled flights.
In the meantime JAT is relaunching Basel too, with a weekly flight on Thursday beginning in November.

Now I am really interested to see the Monday's announcement!

Regards,
RJ100  Wink
none

JoKeR
Topic Author

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 13):
ok latest news from the Swiss forums are that Centavia initially will operate CHARTER flights

Regular sharters are the only type of flights that they can operate cosnidering that Serbian bilateral agreements are restrictive to JAT only...
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

TripleDelta
Crew

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:54 pm

Another bit of interesting and very welcome news regarding Centavia: I'm just reading in the papers (online version in croatian here) that Centavia is starting charter flights BEG-ZAG-BEG, three times a week, from October 25th.

Dare we hope that the BEG-ZAG airlink will be reestablished after 15 years?

[Edited 2006-10-17 10:10:31]
No plane, no gain.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 15):
(online version in croatian here)

Its sad to see that certain segments of the Croatian public is still very negative towards establishing air links between the two capitals.  Sad

Clearly evident by the first comment made on the site of "Jutarnji list"

Public opinion is Serbia appears to be overwhealmingly positive this morning regarding the flights...
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 16):
Public opinion is Serbia appears to be overwhealmingly positive this morning regarding the flights...

I don't know about public opinion, but this information made me very happy.  bouncy 

Its sad to see that certain segments of the Croatian public is still very negative towards establishing air links between the two capitals.

Yes, first two comments made me sad, too  Sad , but having in mind who is always the loudest and quickest to post such comments both in Serbia and Croatia, it doesn't surprise me that much. What is important to me is that there is a silent majority on both sides that thinks differently.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

TripleDelta
Crew

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:52 am

Its sad to see that certain segments of the Croatian public is still very negative towards establishing air links between the two capitals.

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 17):
but having in mind who is always the loudest and quickest to post such comments both in Serbia and Croatia, it doesn't surprise me that much.

Don't take those comments as having any honest meaning behind them. This is just yer average "knucklehead syndrome" at work. The anonymity of a public internet forum does wonders for the ego... [sentence dripping with sarcasm]  biggrin . Somebody just wants to sound "cool" and "tough", without, as usual, thinking the sentence and its implication through.

However, everybody I spoke to today regarding these flights greeted the news with enthusiasm. If the prices are indeed as low as Centavia advertises for its other routes, I could see the route becoming scheduled rather than just charter. Indeed, several of my friends and I were planning to try out these flights just for the fun of it - and, of course, some good old Belgrade grill while we're at it  bigthumbsup 
No plane, no gain.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 18):
, of course, some good old Belgrade grill while we're at it

Nah you don't!!! Big grin You are absolutely welcome here and don't forget to let Sale and me know when you're coming.

Centavia's flights, but more importantly prices are very, very, VEEEERYYYY welcome!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 am

Neko spomenu rostilj? Big grin

Well, I hope the introduction of LCCs would also mean more visitors to this center of vegetarian unfriendliness  Silly

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 19):
You are absolutely welcome here and don't forget to let Sale and me know when you're coming.

Absolutely  bigthumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

TripleDelta
Crew

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:01 pm

Thanks guys. I can still taste that great pljeskavica I had in Stari Zemun, in a small street-corner shop right across the road from those floating cafes on the Danube...

I presume Centavia will be using their BAe 146s for the route right? Unfortunately, I never got to experience the Jumbolino takeoff on OU's previously leased pair, so I'm hoping to correct that now.

[Edited 2006-10-18 16:04:42]
No plane, no gain.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 21):
I presume Centavia will be using their BAe 146s for the route right? Unfortunately, I never got to experience the Jumbolino takeoff on OU's previously leased pair, so I'm hoping to correct that now.

And it looks like you will not be able to either, Croatian Authorities have rejected Centavia for the planned services, B92 Station just reported the news  Sad

Its obvious that many old wounds are still present, how sad!

Balkane moj!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

TripleDelta
Crew

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 22):
And it looks like you will not be able to either, Croatian Authorities have rejected Centavia for the planned services, B92 Station just reported the news

Was just about to post that, saw a report on TV just moments ago, and a lengthy one too. There was something said that if Belgrade accepts some or other terms, Centavia will be allowed to fly the route.

Balkane moj!

My  banghead   banghead   banghead  sentiments exactly...
No plane, no gain.

Aleksandar

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:51 am

Balkane moj!

Let me join the club
 banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead 
 cry   cry   cry   cry   cry   cry   cry 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

TripleDelta
Crew

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:55 am

Anybody need a wall torn down? So far two offers for banging it down with our heads  bigthumbsup . I've always hated the Croatian ministry with the lengthy name responsible for aviation.......
No plane, no gain.

JoKeR
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:57 am

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 23):
was something said that if Belgrade accepts some or other terms, Centavia will be allowed to fly the route.

Private enterprises suffering as a result of political fighting, that cannot go down well with investors, from the region or further afield.

Looking towards the day when the skies open up...FINALLY!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

TripleDelta
Crew

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 26):
Private enterprises suffering as a result of political fighting, that cannot go down well with investors, from the region or further afield.

Sadly, a reality of life here... hopefully this will ease down once new generations replace the old ones currently in power. These are to obsessed with the past and to zealous to see progress staring them in the face...

We can only  crossfingers  that cooler heads will prevail and that somebody responsible takes this into their hands. Heck, speaking with people on the street, I got the impression that Centavia's 146s would be way too small to cover the demand for a BEG-ZAG-BEG flight...
No plane, no gain.