vfw614

Inconsistency In UK Security Procedures?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:34 am

I have been on eight flights from six UK airports over the past three days and I was surprised to find out that the procedures at the security check points were quite inconsistent.

Sometimes, it was shoes off, belt off, laptop out, at other airports it was none of this. What I found even more surprising was that the strictest check was carried out at the tiny airport of Benbecula on the Hebrides, which included all of the above plus a routine body search (I was later told that BEB only very recently got a x-ray machine, so mabye they wanted to show off their new equipment). So you cannot say that the smaller the airport, the less strcit the security is.

Which raises the question - can every airport have its own standard procedure - or does it depend on the x-ray equipment, the number of passengers etc. A standard procedure certainly would also help to speed things up a bit as everybody would know what to remove etc. rather than wait to find out what the airport in question has in store.

jmc757

RE: Inconsistency In UK Security Procedures?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Vfw614 (Thread starter):
Which raises the question - can every airport have its own standard procedure - or does it depend on the x-ray equipment, the number of passengers etc. A standard procedure certainly would also help to speed things up a bit as everybody would know what to remove etc. rather than wait to find out what the airport in question has in store.

I agree with you, airport security is very inconsistent. Trouble is that security is up to each airport. I'm sure they have standards and guidlines to meet, but still it depends on the airport. Even worse is that most airports "outsource" this work to private companies for a cost. And basically you get what you pay for.