dampfnudel

Flight Restrictions Over The East River

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:33 am

I just heard it on Eyewitness News here in New York.

edit-URL added

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4658937

[Edited 2006-10-14 00:37:17]

edit-new info

Those fixed-wing planes have been banned from the East River corridor in New York unless the pilot is in direct contact with air traffic control.

[Edited 2006-10-14 00:44:26]

[Edited 2006-10-14 00:47:16]

[Edited 2006-10-14 00:47:50]

OPNLguy

RE: East River Closed To Private Aircraft

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:43 am

Your subject line is completely inaccurate...

The story at the link says it's closed to fixed-wing aircraft unless they're in direct contact with ATC. That's way different than "closed to private aircraft"....  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DL787932ER

RE: East River Closed To Private Aircraft

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:44 am

Let the meaningless political overreactions begin  sarcastic 

Also, you should consider changing the headline. The East River isn't "closed", the FAA is just requiring that pilots be "talking to ATC" (which I presume means either be filed IFR or on flight following). And seaplanes are exempt.  confused 
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

dampfnudel

RE: Flight Restrictions Over The East River

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 1):
Your subject line is completely inaccurate...

The story at the link says it's closed to fixed-wing aircraft unless they're in direct contact with ATC. That's way different than "closed to private aircraft".... Yeah sure

That's what happens when you listen to the news media without any confirmation. They changed their "Ban" to "Restrictions" a few seconds after I posted my inaccurate subject line.

Bobster2

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:57 am

FAA Reviews "Wild West" NYC Airspace (by Supa7E7 Oct 13 2006 in Civil Aviation)
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Starlionblue

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Gee, if this was a problem you would think they might have closed it off before the accident.

I love Major Bloomberg saying the FAA did not review these flight paths after 9/11. Talk about pandering to the voters! I am quite certain the FAA thought long and hard about the whole thing after 9/11. He also says that a "smart terrorist" could take a small plane without being questioned and fly it over the East River. I have to ask: How does having to contact ATC really change anything substantial in this regard?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

ltbewr

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:45 pm

NY City Mayor Bloomberg is a licensed pilot himself, so I suspect he wanted balanced adjustments. Most of the pressure for even more strict bans was from NY State Gov. Pataki and a number of local politicians looking for easy attention in the paranoid post-9/11 era.
GA's must now keep in ATC voice contact in the 'East River Corridor' where they have been and will continue to be allowed. Helicopters and amphibious aircraft are not affected by these changes. Most likely, this will mean many fewer GA's will be allowed in that area, especially at busy airport traffic times, poor weather and so on.
With the UN and other major buildings along the East and major bridges on it which could be terror targets, these new restrictions are still reasonable and far better than those for Washington, DC metro airspace.

Starlionblue

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
With the UN and other major buildings along the East and major bridges on it which could be terror targets, these new restrictions are still reasonable and far better than those for Washington, DC metro airspace.

I agree they're somewhat reasonable, but wasn't this a known issue before someone crashed into a building? Also, if a terrorist wants to fly a small plane into a building, would being in contact with ATC really do anything to change the outcome?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."