hovitzer

TLV Is A Transit Airport.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:14 am

Hello fellows,
I was thinking about the topic mentioned above thousands of times.
Shall I start from the current situation. Ben Gurion Int'l airport got a new ultra modern terminal running for almost two years now. Currently, due to lot's of reasons, all flights arrive TLV as a final destination. No transit flights at all.
A massive political act is taking place in Israel now to change the "Open Skyes" policy, which will open the door for transit flights in and out of TLV.
The new terminal is capable of handling transit flights and also (Base on my knowledge with TLV facilities) will have no problems of handling more traffic in the sky and on the ground,
How about DL flying ATL-TLV-DXB?
Or maybe BA on LHR-TLV-SYD?
Endless posibilities.
Would like to hear your oppinion about it.
Cheers,
Hovitzer.

semsem

RE: TLV Is A Transit Airport.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 am

TLV to Dubai? Meshcugge.

BOAC used to operate a 707 from London to Tehran with a TLV stop about 30 years ago. TLV will never be a major transit stop due to problems overflying hostile countries that won't allow it.

ehho

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Hovitzer (Thread starter):
BA on LHR-TLV-SYD

Quoting Semsem (Reply 1):
overflying hostile countries that won't allow it.

The G-C distance TLV-SYD alone is 14166km. Add to that a detour over Turkey (as LY is currently doing on its B762 runs to PEK), or Egypt and the red sea, and even a B772LR won't do it w/o weight restrictions, never mind the B744.

Maybe if political winds change TLV could become a transit hub (i.e. for passengers, not flights), but with so much competition in the region (DXB, DOH, AUH, IST) that could prove difficult.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

EL-AL

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 pm

I do not see Ben Gurion Int'l becoming a major hub in the near future.

Geographically, Tel Aviv is not located in a good spoot for transit flights. TLV can not link flights between Europe and America, or flights America to Europe. No one will fly to the far east from TLV because a/c taking off TLV can't fly over Muslim countries while heading east. The only 2 destinations in Africa served out of TLV is Adis Abeba & Johannesburg. I can't see Europeans or Americans flying to TLV just in order to fly to Africa, the range of destenations in Africa from Europe is much larger.

Tough BNG2000, Terminal 3, is a large & modern terminal fitting Transit passengers, I am afraid that Tel Aviv will continue to be the last stop for the PAX flying here.
every day is a good day to fly

CXA330300

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:32 am

The only case where I can imagine this scenario working is from East/Southern Africa to Turkey and Eastern Europe. Considering that only two African destinations are currently served from TLV, not likely to happen.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

semsem

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:13 am

LY used to also fly to Nairobi but stopped due to security issues.

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 2):
Maybe if political winds change TLV could become a transit hub (i.e. for passengers, not flights), but with so much competition in the region (DXB, DOH, AUH, IST) that could prove difficult.

One other thing to be considered - would any transit passenger willingly subject themselves to the agonisingly thorough Israeli security if they were only spending 2 hours in Israel (in fact, because of the security, MCT would be about 4 hours).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

4xRuv

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:55 am

I don't see it happening in the near future for several reasons:
1. The detour all aircraft leaving Israel has to make to avoid Muslim countries
2. The extra security taken for flights to TLV might scare many pax.
3. Though built for it, operationally, TLV isn't ready for transfer pax. People who work there tell me that in the rare occasion people do transfer are experiencing many difficulties (no one at the transfer desk, re-doing security, baggage problems).