EI321
Topic Author

Is The Shorts Belfast Freighter Still Flying?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:46 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows of the whereabouts of the ex-Heavylift Shorts Belfast. AFAIK it went to Austrailia for use there a number of years back but thats the last I heard of it. I remember seeing this massive plane a number of times in DUB when I was a kid.

CV580Freak

RE: Is The Shorts Belfast Freighter Still Flying?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:08 pm

I believe it is still in BNE, not sure if airworthy though
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

RAFVC10

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm

From heavyliftcargo.com

Rushing back from extensive maintenance at Prestwick in Scotland after the “mercy dash” to deliver the replacement NZ America’s Cup contender NZL81 to trials in Valencia after the unfortunate problems with NZL82, the HeavyLift Belfast took on a new mission:

delivering additional materials for a new reality TV show at a super-secret location in the Pacific.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

A342

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 2):
delivering additional materials for a new reality TV show at a super-secret location in the Pacific.

Haha ! Brilliant !

Other "activities":

Quote:
Double-take! Not only can HeavyLift's Belfast compete with Jumbos, we can fit them in our cargo bay! And we're not talking about just their engines...When we say that we handle "heavy, oversized, uniquely-shaped cargo" we really mean it and one of our next trips is a perfect example. We'll be transporting eight elephants from Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand to quarantine in the Cocos Islands before we return to deliver them to zoos in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.

Emergency dash. HeavyLift has stepped in at almost no notice to help out the United Nations following the break-down of a DC-10 freighter. The Belfast is on a mission from Fiji to the Middle East.

Other recent HeavyLift jobs have included trips to Penang for Dell Computer; Solo, Indonesia for General Motors; along with our regular weekly turnaround services to Honiara and Port Moresby.
Meanwhile, the 727-51C continues its regular work around the Pacific.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

A342

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:43 am

Oh ! It needs a lot of runway, 2560m (ISA, sea level, MTOW I guess) according to their website ! That rules out quite a lot of smaller airports.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Alessandro

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:56 am

Cool, I enjoyed the http://www.justplanes.com DVD a lot.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

StearmanNut

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:05 am

I have seen a Belfast parked at PHX about ten years ago. I have no idea what its purpose was. I just noticed it while on the way to catch a flight. At first I thought it could have been a big Antonov turboprop. I made a couple of rounds around the terminals before I figured out what it was. It was owned by Heavy Hauler.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

melflyer

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:22 am

The Belfast is still flying around and airworthy. Saw it depart on my last visit to BNE in July. Sounded awesome. Search the photos here and elsewhere on the net, there are photos of that departure available.

ptrjong

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Melflyer (Reply 7):
Search the photos here

Bingo.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis / Travel-Images

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

EI321
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Does anybody know why the Belfast used to appear in DUB some years back? Im pretty sure it was it, unless they also operated a Hercules.