Qatara340

Gulf Air Emergency Landing Due To Fire

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:07 pm

According to Al-Sharq Qatari newspaper, there was a fire in the cockpit of a Gulf Air plane carrying 201 passenger. It was enroute from BAH to BEY, and made an emergency landing in KWI. None of the passengers were harmed, and an ulternate plane was arranged.

Here's the PDF link of the newspaper in Arabic: (large file)
http://www.al-sharq.com/UserFiles/PDF/WeeklyArchive/16october06.pdf
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

ZRHnerd

RE: Gulf Air Emergency Landing Due To Fire

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:14 pm

Could you give some more info, as not all of us are native Arabians. Any idea of the a/c type? Any more info on what exactly happened? A fire in the cockpit sounds pretty serious.

I am not surprised at all that it was Gulf Air. Just recently, SRTechnics have taken over the maintenance for Gulf Air's whole fleet, and my Dad was complaining about in what bad condition the whole fleet is, in fact, they (SRTechnics) had to force Gulf Air to ground two B763 because they did not meet the minimum safety requirements.

Glad to hear that everybody is ok.

Qatara340

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 1):
Could you give some more info, as not all of us are native Arabians. Any idea of the a/c type? Any more info on what exactly happened? A fire in the cockpit sounds pretty serious.

Well, actually what I posted is what is pretty much what was mentioned in the article. I presume the aircraft is 767-300ER since they use it between BAH to BEY. However, an article in Kuwait times mentioned a short circuit and not something more serious as a fire--thankfully.

vivekman2006

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:39 am

How old is the Gulf Air 767-300ER?

GFA330

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:13 am

I am not surprised at all that it was Gulf Air. Just recently, SRTechnics have taken over the maintenance for Gulf Air's whole fleet, and my Dad was complaining about in what bad condition the whole fleet is, in fact, they (SRTechnics) had to force Gulf Air to ground two B763 because they did not meet the minimum safety requirements.

This is indeed correct, and putting a big strain on our network.
GAMCO ( AUH ) let a lot of maintenance slip.
One of these 767's had 46 cracks in the bodywork  Smile

It is time we get a new CEO and make some commitments to replace the fleet otherwise we'll e nowhere

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 4):
GAMCO ( AUH ) let a lot of maintenance slip
One of these 767's had 46 cracks in the bodywork

GAMCO is a maintenance contractor and can not accomplish any maintenance unless it it approved by the aircraft owner. So if GAMCO did not find these cracks in the "bodywork" and they required repair, GAMCO is at fault. If they brought them to Gulf attention and Gulf chose not to have them repaired, that is not GAMCO fault.

Tod

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Vivekman2006 (Reply 3):
How old is the Gulf Air 767-300ER?

The first one was built in 1988, but it may not be in their fleet anymore.
It was one of two 763ER prototypes, later converted to customer configuration. The other was the Lauda Air one that fell out of the sky.

Tod

GFA330

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 5):
GAMCO is a maintenance contractor and can not accomplish any maintenance unless it it approved by the aircraft owner. So if GAMCO did not find these cracks in the "bodywork" and they required repair, GAMCO is at fault. If they brought them to Gulf attention and Gulf chose not to have them repaired, that is not GAMCO fault.

You are absolutely right ...... In this case GF was not aware that the cracks were present, whether GAMCO did not find them or chose not to alert GF is unknown to me. This is just one issue of many. Trust me I have seen the pictures, SR took pictures of faults discovered.
I do not mean to blast GAMCO as the fleet always was in a shit state. GF never took properly care of the A320 / 767's and older A340's. Fly Fly Fly was the word. Especially teh A320's suffered a lot.
Under the new management it is expected that GF will shrink because of it's fleet issues and current heavy losses.

In addition to that the technical issues is causing a lot of OTP issues, in some days network wide approx 30% on time  Smile

ZRHnerd

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 7):
GF never took properly care of the A320 / 767's and older A340's. Fly Fly Fly was the word. Especially teh A320's suffered a lot.

Haha, exactly what my dad said Big grin He told me within a couple of weeks after taking over GF's maintenance they had to replace over 10 (IIRC) A320 engines because they were so badly maintained. Oh and it was actually my dad who "forced" GF to ground one of their B763s, by shouting at the GF maintenance manager in a live video/phone-conference Big grin it's funny how he always complains about GAMCO, moaning how thick they are Big grin

Do you work for SRTechnics or anything related GF maintenance?

GFA330

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 pm

GF employee

Good to hear the SR side of the story it concerns many of us.
Hope the situation improves or we just dump the birds  Smile

ZRHnerd

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 9):
Hope the situation improves or we just dump the birds

If SRTechnics were free to do what they want it would have improved a lot already, but unfortunately they have to battle the guys on the GF side on every step they plan because, as you said, the GF management just tries to keep the birds in the air, and GAMCO are very uncooperative and incompetent. It's actually that bad that SRTechnics have already taken action to protect their employees from guiltyness in event of a fatal GF incident.

But I cannot give you any further information on this, I apologise

[Edited 2006-10-17 15:55:31]

zizou

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:03 am

Yikes. This is not I wanted to hear.

I am due to be flying Gulf Air from Cairo to Dubai via Bahrain.

Its going to be a nervous flight!  Sad

YYZYYT

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 10):
It's actually that bad that SRTechnics have already taken action to protect their employees from guiltyness in event of a fatal GF incident.

Now THAT is how you inspire confidence!!!  Wow!

GFA330

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:39 pm

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 10):
It's actually that bad that SRTechnics have already taken action to protect their employees from guiltyness in event of a fatal GF incident.

ZRHnerd : I am not surprised, understand obviously that this is sensitive from your end.

Let's just hope it will never get that far...

Though I must say that I expect the oldest/worset frames to be removed from the fleet very soon....

ZRHnerd

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 12):

Now THAT is how you inspire confidence!!!

SRT have tried to find other ways, but GF dont want to listen/talk, so they simply tried protecting themselves.

Quoting SwissBrazil (Reply 13):

Don't worry, i know what i can and what i cannot say

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 14):
Let's just hope it will never get that far...

Indeed.

By teh way, Are you guys sure that this incident really happened? Because when i told my dad yesterday he didn't know anything, he made a couple of calls but nobody else knew anything either  Confused

But then again he said that it would not surprise him if GF just haven't rold SRT anything about it, it is a frequent occurance  Wink

[Edited 2006-10-18 16:13:39]

Qatara340

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 14):
By teh way, Are you guys sure that this incident really happened? Because when i told my dad yesterday he didn't know anything, he made a couple of calls but nobody else knew anything either

well, that is what it says in the newspaper and also in www.kuwaittimes.net (but they did not mention which airline). The Qatari daily did...

ZRHnerd

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 am

Ye you are right, it is true, apparetly a cockpit side window broke because the window heaters(?), or whatever you call it, blew up, hence the smoke in the cockpit.

SWISSER

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 4):
I am not surprised at all that it was gulf air. Just recently, SRTechnics have taken over the maintenance for gulf air's whole fleet, and my Dad was complaining about in what bad condition the whole fleet is, in fact, they (SRTechnics) had to force gulf air to ground two B763 because they did not meet the minimum safety requirements.

It is since your dad's company took over the contract things get really worse here regarding logistics of spare parts, or that's what engineers told me in FRA.
What time is top of descent?

GFA330

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting Swisser (Reply 17):
It is since your dad's company took over the contract things get really worse here regarding logistics of spare parts, or that's what engineers told me in FRA.

Trust the word from an insider it has defenitely nothing to do with SRT.
It is what and who SRT inherited it from ....

Since years now we can finally credit ourselves with a proper maintenance provider. Things would be worse if the change would not have been made.

HAWK21M

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 1):
in fact, they (SRTechnics) had to force Gulf Air to ground two B763 because they did not meet the minimum safety requirements.

Any Examples.

Quoting ZRHnerd (Reply 16):
apparetly a cockpit side window broke because the window heaters(?), or whatever you call it, blew up, hence the smoke in the cockpit.

Bad WHCU

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SWISSER

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 18):
Trust the word from an insider it has defenitely nothing to do with SRT.
It is what and who SRT inherited it from ....

Since years now we can finally credit ourselves with a proper maintenance provider. Things would be worse if the change would not have been made.

Yeah, you are probably right.
I guess I was talking to a guy in FRA who for some reason has prob's with SR/LX.

In BAH we start seeing some different people as well on engineering, and it looks promising!

Did any of you guys hear about the two RTO's in FRA on A40-LE two weeks ago due to the ENG BLEED?
It was fun! At least something different then always the same routine!
I call that aircraft Lima Engine Bleed now, we did'nt have a nickname for that one!

The best one is A40-EH (Echo Hydraulic), an A320, that guy leaks hydraulic fluids like rain!  Wink

Furthermore we have Lima Disaster, Kilo Bastard and Kilo F*ck*d up!
What time is top of descent?

GFA330

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 20):
The best one is A40-EH (Echo Hydraulic), an A320, that guy leaks hydraulic fluids like rain!

We have this bird in IST from time to time. 26th July two days on the ground here ..........big nightmare

ZRHnerd

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting GFA330 (Reply 21):

We have this bird in IST from time to time. 26th July two days on the ground here ..........big nightmare

haha Big grin