planemannyc

JetBlue Gets Approval For 4 Flights To ORD

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:00 am

Crain's is reporting that news

http://newyorkbusiness.com/news.cms?newsId=14998

Service to start in Jan 2007.

Searched topics, but could not find the confirmation of flights (although some discussed the request for 8 services, then 4 services).

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

[Edited 2006-10-16 22:01:34]

TWFirst

RE: JetBlue Gets Approval For 4 Flights To ORD

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:09 am

Interesting... the article states B6 says the service to ORD would be from "a city that we already serve".... so perhaps it isn't a foregone conclusion the service would be from NYC.... which perhaps isn't too surprising.... the CHI-NYC market already has AA, UA, CO, DL, TZ & FL, I believe.... so would B6 operate BOS-ORD? IAD-ORD?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

ikramerica

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:10 am

All heck is about to break loose at ORD...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Jerseyguy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:11 am

And for all who have to see it to believe it

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf98/418851_web.pdf

Let the games begin!!!
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

deltaffindfw

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:11 am

Interesting since DL just announced BOS-MDW today also.

planemannyc

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:18 am

I had not realized that the approval would come this quickly.

Best,

wasim / Planemannyc

jetblueatjfk

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:22 am

Here is the talks about lowering the application to 4 slots:
Jetblue Cuts Request To ORD In Half (by Lowecur Oct 13 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Glad to here they got these slots and if the flights work out they can go back for more if their is any slots open.

B6jfk airplane 

CMHSRQ

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:23 am

So what does everyone think, 3 a day to JFK and 1 a day to BOS?
The voice of moderation

jetblueatjfk

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 7):

Most likely since they have to 1100 slots they can't have that as a LGB flight since it would have to leave before the curfew. Probably BOS or maybe a Florida city, but I would think BOS since they are building up the 190 Business routes.

B6jfk airplane 

FA4B6

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 7):

I think 4 JFK's, even with the two 11AM slots. They can do a redeye from LGB that would arrive before 0700.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

CMHSRQ

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 8):
robably BOS or maybe a Florida city,

Like SRQ which has 0 flights to ORD. That would be nice, but I expect BOS and JFK.
The voice of moderation

EWRandMDW

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:44 am

Yawn.....

The world is saved! B6 is coming to O'Hare!  bored 

STT757

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 1):
the CHI-NYC market already has AA, UA, CO, DL, TZ & FL, I believe.... so would B6 operate BOS-ORD? IAD-ORD?

How about 4 daily ORD-LGA.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

PanAm747

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 am

Quote:
Yawn.....

The world is saved! B6 is coming to O'Hare!

Be careful what you wish for, B6...if you have ever experienced the delays that ORD is subjected to, you are in for a RUDE awakening.

Who knows? Maybe they'll pull out after experiencing a few operational nightmares and run to GYY where they'll have the whole airport to themselves.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

DAL767400ER

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 am

So, how many flights will AA and UA now each add at ORD, 50, 75, or 100?

belizexp

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Planemannyc (Reply 5):
I had not realized that the approval would come this quickly.

I agree

Quoting STT757 (Reply 12):

I can't see this one happening anytime soon.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 14):
So, how many flights will AA and UA now each add at ORD, 50, 75, or 100?

Good one I can't wait to see AA and UA next move.
Belize my home sweet home...

MAH4546

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:28 am

I'm thinking they might do Florida. Easier to compete.
a.

United787

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 13):
Who knows? Maybe they'll pull out after experiencing a few operational nightmares and run to GYY where they'll have the whole airport to themselves.

I would bet on that!

AIR757200

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
All heck is about to break loose at ORD...

Just from four arrival slots? I doubt that.

futterman

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 am

Quote:
In particular, JetBlue must initiate service at ORD by October 28,2006, and it must commence flight operations by January 27,2007.

What's the difference between initiating service and commencing flight operations? (ie: What will we be seeing on October 28?)
What the FUTT?

Mikey711MN

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 18):
Just from four arrival slots? I doubt that.

He didn't say from B6.

Because B6 got these slots by virtue of UA and AA "voluntarily" reducing their schedules in ORD to ostensibly reduce delays, the award of these slots that would otherwise be controlled by UA and AA may trigger those two airlines to undo their previous reductions, hence a dramatic increase in ORD traffic. Read: all heck breaking loose.

Or so the theory goes.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

supa7E7

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 20):

Because B6 got these slots by virtue of UA and AA "voluntarily" reducing their schedules in ORD to ostensibly reduce delays

Do we know that's true?

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 20):
the award of these slots that would otherwise be controlled by UA and AA may trigger those two airlines to undo their previous reductions, hence a dramatic increase in ORD traffic. Read: all heck breaking loose.

I really don't think the FAA would allow that to happen. Besides, UA and AA have competing China bids on the table, for just ONE reason why they wouldn't dare. The FAA makes it clear that UA and AA's slot needs will come last. They need each slot the least.

B6 really needs those measly 4 slots to serve ORD. ORD can easily accomodate everybody's basic service. Basic service is not what is flooding ORD. UA and AA's hubs are doing the flooding.

It appears the FAA granted the slots _so_ quickly to send a message to UA and AA. What that message is, you be the judge.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

B6WNQX

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:29 am

How many flights do you think B6 will schedule before 7AM or after 9PM. I heard that they still have 2 slots at LGB, do you think they would do a redeye to arrive before 7AM and an afternoon departure to arrive after 9PM. I know B6 has no problems with utitizing their planes at random times so the slot hours are not a complete road block from flights unless they don't have an open gate. Any thoughts?

nuggetsyl

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:32 am

I think aa and ua should go back and jam up the airport again. Having jetblue go to ord is not the problem giving them slots during rush hour is.

daron4000

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 21):
I really don't think the FAA would allow that to happen. Besides, UA and AA have competing China bids on the table, for just ONE reason why they wouldn't dare. The FAA makes it clear that UA and AA's slot needs will come last. They need each slot the least.

B6 really needs those measly 4 slots to serve ORD. ORD can easily accomodate everybody's basic service. Basic service is not what is flooding ORD. UA and AA's hubs are doing the flooding.

It appears the FAA granted the slots _so_ quickly to send a message to UA and AA. What that message is, you be the judge.

Agreed, which is why we won't see UA and AA's response until after the route is awarded, which is supposed to be before 2007, so before B6 starts service.
Completely disagree here. B6 does not need the slots, they want the slots to serve the passengers who fly ORD-NYC daily. However, they should have to play by the rules. UA and AA gave up slots to help the FAA and in return, the FAA snubs UA and AA. This is unfair and I believe UA and AA will respond with more flights at the time B6 received landing clearence.
I think UA and AA will have a similar message to the FAA. Go F$$$ yourself! Wait and see

ca2ohHP

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 22):
How many flights do you think B6 will schedule before 7AM or after 9PM. I heard that they still have 2 slots at LGB, do you think they would do a redeye to arrive before 7AM and an afternoon departure to arrive after 9PM. I know B6 has no problems with utitizing their planes at random times so the slot hours are not a complete road block from flights unless they don't have an open gate. Any thoughts?

Actually they were just awarded a 27 slot in LGB, but only average about 24 daily departures. One LGB slot is under the assumption the flight is operated 7 days per week. So currently B6 is offering some limited weekly frequencies. The LGB "soft" curfew begins at 10:00pm (no scheduled arrivals/departures after that), and is lifted at 07:00am.

B6WNQX

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 25):
The LGB "soft" curfew begins at 10:00pm (no scheduled arrivals/departures after that), and is lifted at 07:00am.

That's why I think that if B6 had a flight leave just prior to 10PM it could arrive in ORD before 7AM and they could have an afternoon departure to ORD that would arrive at ORD after 9PM that way they can avoid the "slot" timeframe at ORD.

That is good to hear that they got an additional slot at LGB. So B6 has around 3 more daily flights it can offer at LGB before they are maxed? If they were to send 2 to ORD where would the 3rd go? Maybe MCO since BUR didn't work out they could try another west coast and with LGB getting feed from LAS, SMF, OAK, and LAS maybe it could wort!?

chrisnh

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:32 am

How likely is it that controllers and others at ORD--their bread largely buttered by the likes of UA and AA--will wreak havoc with those four jetBlue flights? You know, long & circuitous taxi instructions...Hold short while nine UA jets land in a row...stuff like that. Is this an 'old wives' tale? Does stuff like this happen? I was wondering moreso for Boston, because jetBlue will always have a much bigger presence there than at ORD. Also, does anyone really think that FOUR flights a day is going to cause 'all hell to break loose?' I mean, looked at another way, hell certainly didn't break loose when jetBlue came to Boston. If anything, the big incumbents--DL and AA--went the other way...they've shrunk at Logan.

Chris in NH

ca2ohHP

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 26):
That is good to hear that they got an additional slot at LGB. So B6 has around 3 more daily flights it can offer at LGB before they are maxed? If they were to send 2 to ORD where would the 3rd go? Maybe MCO since BUR didn't work out they could try another west coast and with LGB getting feed from LAS, SMF, OAK, and LAS maybe it could wort!?

All I've heard is the limited weekly frequencies will be upgraded to daily.

As much as I see UA/AA's point to keeping B6 out of ORD, I respect the DOT's decision. Now I just wonder who will give up the gate space?

ScottB

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 22):
I heard that they still have 2 slots at LGB, do you think they would do a redeye to arrive before 7AM

Well, the biggest problem with a red-eye from LGB to ORD is the fact that LGB has a curfew on departures after 10 PM. Assuming they were to push the envelope by scheduling an ORD departure at 9:45 PM, they'd be arriving ORD around 4 AM CT. Not a terribly appealing arrival time at all. It's certainly conceivable that they'd throw in a couple of arrivals from JFK and one from LGB after 9 PM when the arrival slots no longer apply.

I don't know what they'd do with two arrival slots in the 1100 half-hour; one daily frequency to/from BOS wouldn't even be remotely competitive, and two would be hardly any better (assuming an evening arrival). And an arrival at 1100 is too early for anything from the West Coast.

B6WNQX

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 28):
All I've heard is the limited weekly frequencies will be upgraded to daily

That will be good. I didn't know that they had so many flights that were not daily. I guess they are trying to maximize their revenue thru LGB, which is a good thing. Hopefully there is enough demand to expand the many sub weekly freq flights to daily.

http://www.longbeach.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=12838

CcrlR

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:47 am

How about ORD-JFK, not many airlines can do that. B6 uses JFK-DEN only there.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

SANFan

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:18 am

Question: do we have any idea which a/c might be available/used for these new ORD flights? Are there Airbi available or should we assume 190s will be used? I just thought this might help narrow down possibilities of the mystery destination(s)... West Coast, Northeast, Florida, other.

Another clarification please: do I understand that slot-control only applies at ORD after, what, 7AM, and up until 9PM? So outside of that time frame, B6 could have as many flights in and out as they want?

Finally, what's the latest regarding that bunch of "available" Indi Air slots that were supposed to be returned to the pool or something? Are they something that could potentially increase B6's presence even more at O'Hare?

Thanks in advance for any answers. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out in the long run. Good luck Blue!

bb

airportplan

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 27):
How likely is it that controllers and others at ORD--their bread largely buttered by the likes of UA and AA--will wreak havoc with those four jetBlue flights? You know, long & circuitous taxi instructions...Hold short while nine UA jets land in a row...stuff like that. Is this an 'old wives' tale? Does stuff like this happen? I was wondering moreso for Boston, because jetBlue will always have a much bigger presence there than at ORD. Also, does anyone really think that FOUR flights a day is going to cause 'all hell to break loose?' I mean, looked at another way, hell certainly didn't break loose when jetBlue came to Boston. If anything, the big incumbents--DL and AA--went the other way...they've shrunk at Logan.

ORD controllers generally have no preference for any any airline. Just fly UA to ORD and listen to channel 9. ORD controllers harass AA and UA pilots as much as they harass anyone else. ORD is a very large complex airport with 2614 passenger operations scheduled for today so Jet Blue's 4 flights won't much of a difference to the ORD controllers. For comparison BOS has 1065 passenger operations scheduled for today or less than half the flights of ORD.

United777atGU

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 21):

Very true. Complaining now and raising havoc would be like murder to their proposals. AA and UA better keep quiet--especially UA. I'll shoot Glenn Tilton myself.

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 24):
I think UA and AA will have a similar message to the FAA. Go F$$$ yourself! Wait and see

Yea, AFTER and ONLY AFTER the China route has been awarded!! (Love the comment though!)
Speechless

TWFirst

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 am

I'm not sure if you're being serious or if that's sarcasm... AA has almost hourly ORD-LGA.... combined with UA, DL, & TZ.

If it's NYC, it's going to be JFK.... might as well make the most of the service by offering connection opportunities, don't you think?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

fanoftristars

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 8):
building up the 190 Business routes.

ha, ha, ha. Business routes... that gave me a chuckle or two!

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I don't know anyone who travels regularly for business that doesn't stick with a carrier that offers upgrades, flights to more than one continent and other elite flyer conveniences. Especially Bostonians.

Well, maybe I just need to get out more, but seriously that gave me a chuckle... I just don't think the business traveler is B6's primary customer. Especially when there are legacy carriers on the route. What might be nice is the drop in fare we'll most likely see.

I was so glad when WN started SLC-DEN. Fares dropped from $250-350 RT to $130-200.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

warreng24

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Where did these 4 slots come from?

What airline stopped serving ORD?

Or, were these the slots from the group of slots voluntarily given up by AA and UA to help reduce congestion at ORD?

Jerseyguy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 36):
I was so glad when WN started SLC-DEN. Fares dropped from $250-350 RT to $130-200.

Me too, I was able to snag a $59.30 one way all in on Frontier about a month ago.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

DL4EVR

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 37):
Or, were these the slots from the group of slots voluntarily given up by AA and UA to help reduce congestion at ORD?

checkmark 
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

jetBlueNYFL

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 pm

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I don't know anyone who travels regularly for business that doesn't stick with a carrier that offers upgrades, flights to more than one continent and other elite flyer conveniences. Especially Bostonians.

Well, maybe I just need to get out more, but seriously that gave me a chuckle... I just don't think the business traveler is B6's primary customer. Especially when there are legacy carriers on the route. What might be nice is the drop in fare we'll most likely see.

Actually, you'd be very surprised. Considering the fact that elite upgrades are harder to come by these days, especially those on lower levels...you would be surprised how many frequent business travelers fly airlines like jetBlue and Southwest.

Agreed that the business traveler is not jetBlue's PRIMARY customerr, but they are definitely growing in the business travel market. After all, take a look at the nice growth of CompanyBlue, the jetBlue AMEX Business Card and the expanded route map to many "business" cities. They are definitely targeting more business customers than before.
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

jetbluefan1

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:51 pm

Keep in mind that arrivals can also be scheduled after 9pm and before 7am, so there won't necessarily be only 4 flights. I'm assuming that ORD will see 4x to JFK (1 flight arriving after 9pm), and 1x to a Florida city...not sure which one, though MCO could be successful simply because it's Orlando. And there may even be an outside possibility of a redeye from OAK arriving before 7am or something. That would make 6 flights a day. Unfortunately I don't see BOS happening, though JetBlue may come and surprise us in that respect...

JetBluefan1

ASFlyer

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting Futterman (Reply 19):
Quote:
In particular, JetBlue must initiate service at ORD by October 28,2006, and it must commence flight operations by January 27,2007.

What's the difference between initiating service and commencing flight operations? (ie: What will we be seeing on October 28?)

Does anyone know the answer to this question???

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Is there a reason that we haven't seen a press release from B6 on this yet and nothing on the routemap; even though the destinations from ORD haven't been choosen?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Wsan581

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 41):
Keep in mind that arrivals can also be scheduled after 9pm and before 7am

checkmark  The only issue would be gate space. I believe that is why B6's request went from 8 to 4 slots.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 43):
Is there a reason that we haven't seen a press release from B6 on this yet and nothing on the routemap; even though the destinations from ORD haven't been choosen?

I don't think the destinations have been chosen.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I don't know anyone who travels regularly for business that doesn't stick with a carrier that offers upgrades, flights to more than one continent and other elite flyer conveniences.

jetBlue offers shuttle service between JFK/IAD/BOS. Which has been successful.

Especially Bostonians.

Funny you say that...since they started service between JFK and BOS, jetBlue has increased service and upgraded some of there E190's to A320's. That should be an indication on how well the route is doing.
Blue Skies Ahead!!

burnsie28

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 15):

B6 shouldn't have got approval, if ORD is already at or beyond its max, and AA and UA had to give up slots, then no one else should get more slots.

Wsan581

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 45):
B6 shouldn't have got approval

Really...  scratchchin . Do you think the Wright amendment is fare?

My point is that the system is not always fare. jetBlue followed procedure and received approval just like any other carrier could have done.
Blue Skies Ahead!!

Historic747

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 15):

Well if they moved that would be sucide. Like always....  Smile

icebird757

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Reply 25):
Actually they were just awarded a 27 slot in LGB, but only average about 24 daily departures.

Actually we have 28 slots now in LGB. I could see 2 flights LGB-ORD and 2 JFK-ORD.
LGB....where you can watch the grass grow because the traffic is so slow.

MiCorazonAzul

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 32):
Are there Airbi available or should we assume 190s will be used? I just thought this might help narrow down possibilities of the mystery destination(s)... West Coast, Northeast, Florida, other.

I can almost gurantee that ORD will be an A320 city. IF we were to start out with E190s, equipment upgrade would be needed rather quickly as I know ORD will be huge for us.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 45):
B6 shouldn't have got approval, if ORD is already at or beyond its max, and AA and UA had to give up slots, then no one else should get more slots.

We followed the proper procedure and got approval. And btw, AA and UA gave up A LOT more slots than what we are occupying. Or are you seriously gonna say that 4 JetBlue flights a day will cause a ton of delays at ORD....palease.

Quoting Wsan581 (Reply 46):
jetBlue followed procedure and received approval just like any other carrier could have done.

Exactly.......pretty much sums it up and couldn't have said it any better.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.