What Is Your Favorite Low-fare Airline?

Wed Jul 05, 2000 8:31 am

What low-fare airline do you think is the best? I am not including MEX or Legend, b/c they have first class at major airlines coach fares.

I'd say National Airlines b/c they have great food, clean planes, and nice FA's

michigan4life

RE: What Is Your Favorite Low-fare Airline?

Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:24 am

JETBLUE. Thats all I have to say

Trvlr

Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:48 am

Southwest if you take into consideration all aspects of an airline like destinations and pricing etc, but I need to fly National and jetBlue to be sure. Can't wait until National starts service to SAN!

Aaron G.

Samurai 777

Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:49 am

WestJet - the nicest and funniest FAs I've ever seen!

FrontierMan

Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:50 am

I would have to say Frontier. They truly do keep transcontinental airfare in check. They also keep the DEN area under control.

dc-9-10

Wed Jul 05, 2000 11:20 am

Vanguard deffinitally i just hope this little carrior can make it through.

VirginA340

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:08 am

Jetblue and National are great carriers. Air Tran is not bad themselves now that they are about to have 717 service EWR-Orlando with a stop in Atlanta. The DC-9-30 is pretty good but the plane is getting long in the tooth and nails.
"FUIMUS"

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:42 am

One Word or Two?: JetBlue

michigan4life

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:47 am

You say it like 2 but it is one.

txagkuwait

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:54 am

I wiosh folks would be more specific about WHY they have selected a particular carrier as their favorite low fare airline.

I mean...it's kind of strange to choose an airline that has been in service 3 months...and may or maynot be around in 3 years.

Obviously, I am gonna pick Southwest. Why? The have stamina. They are going to be around for a while. They bring low fares to whatever markets they fly in and out of...and its getting to where they fly in and out of quite a few.

It also helps that they offer a reliable product. Sort of like McDonald's...you may not like the food all that much, but you get the same burger in Fort Worth as you do in Fort Lauderdale, Fort Smith, or Fort Lee NJ.

JetBlue may be a real nice deal...but until we start seeing some financials its gonna be tough to say whether or not they are the future of low fare carriers. Seriously, the business is all about profit...and if they can't make a profit at low fares while offering all those amenities they aren't going to be around.

Vanguard is a bottom feeding discount carrier....not a low fare carrier. I tried to fly them on short notice on a number of occasions and their walk up fares were not low in any way, shape, or form. They were wanting $219 each way from MCI to DFW...I could buy walk up tickets on WN for considerable less (I am active duty military, and the military fare from MCI to OKC and OKC to DAL came out to roughly $112 as I recall).

I asked the Vanguard res agent why the fare was so high...and was told quite succinctly that they were a discount rather than a low fare carrier. Go figure. My guess is they won't last much longer.

AmericanMD80

Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:55 am

Well, I am going to say JetBlue even though I haven't flown on them, everything about them seems amazing! I have flown on one low-cost carrier, Delta Express from Boston (BOS) -Orlando (MCO). Service was pretty good, and flight was great. That 737-232 sure left the ground pretty quickly.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

Click for large version

Photo © Justin Cederholm

Click for large version

Photo © Justin Cederholm

Click for large version

Photo © Andy Jung

Click for large version

Photo © Rob Simmons

do what you like . like what you do . life is good

shankly

Thu Jul 06, 2000 1:59 am

Well after nine posts, nobody has even mentioned the true 21st Century base of low fare airlines...the UK.

In my belief, best low cost is EasyJet:

1. They link second level UK airports (Luton and Liverpool) with key european gateways - Amsterdam, Zurich, Geneva etc. The advantage of this is that these aiports are generally cheaper to access than the majors, thus the low fare ethos is extended to the train fare or carpark bill as well.

2. Their aircraft are generally good second hand or new. I recently flew a Ryanair 737 that must have been 20+ years old (based on the internal signage I would guess ex-LH). I know the old argument that well maintained old aircraft are acceptable, but the repair skin panelling on the rear of this baby was something else.

3. Their fare structure means early booking is rewarded, as opposed to a flat 'nearly low fare' (like Go).

5. The 'buy if you want' on board service is efficient and reasonably priced.

6. My experience of on time departures/arrivals is good.

7. Orange is a cool colour (all those Buddhists can't be wrong)

Cheap flying...
L1011 - P F M

thai747

Thu Jul 06, 2000 2:04 am

Local Japanese Airline , Air DO or Hokkaido international

767-300ER flying between Haneda and Sapporo Chitose

no food serve , but their FAs service was excellent

N766UA

Thu Jul 06, 2000 2:07 am

It took me 2 seconds to think this over:

SOUTHWEST
This Website Censors Me

fanofjets

Thu Jul 06, 2000 2:42 am

I miss the old Laker Skytrain service; the airline could boast the quality of any of the majors while preserving that hometown touch. Sir Freddie is certainly a colorful character, as was his airline (I haven't yet flown the "new" Laker)

Click for large version

Photo © Paul Robinson

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery