tony1477

Question About Pilots And Cockpits

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:40 am

Now I am just a admirer of airplanes and don't know too much about them ( but I'm learning ) so please don't kill me on this question.
Every picture I see of the cockpit I wonder how the pilots get into their seats. It always looks so cramped in there. I can't imagine that the have to step over the center counsel and risk stepping on something. Can someone answer this for me.

Be gentle with me please!! LOL

mjzair

RE: Question About Pilots And Cockpits

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 am

Hey,
Yes, sometimes the flight decks do look cramped. I fly the CRJ-200 and do have to kick my leg over the center console. You get used to it very quickly though. Once I am sitting down, the seat is plenty comfortable. The seat slides forward and back, and there is plenty of legroom with the adjustable rudder pedals. As for hitting a switch, I have once or twice knocked into the TOGA buttons on the side of the trottles, but this is not really a big deal since there is no auto throttle, the most it does is bring up the flight director and arms the TO/TO mode.

IAHFLYR

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:58 am

Airline Cockpit Question (by YHMYYZspotter Oct 13 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Try this thread
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

futurecaptain

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 am

First you hide the beer cooler which has been placed on the seat so passengers dont see it while boarding.
Second you open a beer cause taxiing only involves your feet so you have 2 free hands to hold a beer.
Third you step into the seat carefully without spilling your beer, which takes practice.
Next you set beer in beverage holder and takeoff.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos