ben88

AOM DC-10 At LAX

Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:23 am

Today (7/4/00) at 4:30 p.m. (at LAX) I saw an AOM DC-10 take off from runway 24L. This seemed odd to me because AOM only operates night flights from LAX. LAX-ORY departing at 9:40, and LAX-PPT departing around midnight. Does anyone know why this DC-10 took off at 4:30 and where it was heading? I can never snap a shot of an AOM bird because they always take off at night. I finally had the opportunity and my camera battery died 10 minutes before I spotted the DC-10. What a shame!

RE: AOM DC-10 At LAX

Wed Jul 05, 2000 2:22 pm

It could have been there for maintenance as United and FedEx have large facilities there. It could also be doing a charter for another company or a private charter. I know they do a lot of charter work and even do some cuban flight but I doubt this flight went there!
Iain

ben88

Wed Jul 05, 2000 4:27 pm

Does anyone else have any ideas on what this plane was doing there at this time? Thanks,

ZRH

Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:21 pm

I don't think that this DC 10 was there for maintenance because Swissair (AOM is partly owened by the SAirGoup) has a large DC 10 / MD 11 maintenance base at Zurich. Perhaps it was a charter flight.

ben88

Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:43 pm

My first thought was that it might be a replacement for the A340 (F-GLZF) that is being repaired in ZRH. Perhaps this plane was flying the LAX-ORY flight one day late because of an equiptment change.