don81603

Airport Closed, Now What?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:04 am

The recent earthquake in Hawaii, and subsequent temporary airport closure got me thinking. What would happen in the case of WS (for example) being about 30 minutes out, and the airport closes. I highly doubt the 737 would be able to return to the mainland, and if the earthquake was severe enough to damage the runways, what alternatives would there be?

I'm positive the FAA has looked at this, but does anyone know "What next?" Other than the Hawaiian Islands, the next closest runway I'm aware of is Midway, some 1200 miles further west, but can a 737 carry that much fuel for an extra 2 hours?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jdl1527

RE: Airport Closed, Now What?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:06 am

The airports were closed for out going flights only, incoming flights could still come in as normally if they did not divert earlier like many flights did.

ikramerica

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:09 am

The odds of all HI airports being closed to incoming traffic no matter what the emergency are astronomical. Even if your destination airport had a landslide and the alternates had no power, you'd still be able to land the old fashioned way.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:12 am

http://www.airnav.com/airports/us/HI

Out of the above 14 airports listed, about 10 have runways long enough to land a 737, and the odds of all of them (plus military bases) all being unusable strike me as being quite remote.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N766UA

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
you'd still be able to land the old fashioned way.

I don't get it. Old fashioned = either turf or water, and neither is suitable for a large airliner.
This Website Censors Me

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 4):
I don't get it. Old fashioned = either turf or water, and neither is suitable for a large airliner.

I think he was referring to a lack of electrical power at the airport...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

IAHFLYR

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 5):
I think he was referring to a lack of electrical power at the airport...

Tiki torches maybe?

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
The odds of all HI airports being closed to incoming traffic no matter what the emergency are astronomical

That is so true and we would be talking of an emergency situation where any port in a storm, with airplanes with little or no gas having LARGE breaks and motors to stop in a hurry!

But good question for sure.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ltbewr

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 am

ATC, signal systems, some bare minimum runway lighting (at night) would have some emergency power. There would be no outgoing flights. ATC would handle long haul inbound flights, although with some additional spacing, care to make sure a landing airport isn't damaged and diverting a/c if their destination airport is damaged or without any power. Some flights that just departed close to their take off airport would probably have to turn back. Some inbound flights would have to divert if possible.

louA340

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am

What about if there is substantial damage to the actual runway? How would that situation be worked out?
RyEng