DL4EVR
Topic Author

TSA Screener Arrested

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:25 am

http://www.todaystmj4.com/_content/news/topstories/story_4773.asp

I don't think it's been posted...I searched and couldn't find anything. Anyway...it's an interesting read.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

nonfirm

RE: TSA Screener Arrested

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:52 am

It's sound like another star employee for TSA in MILWAUKEE.I guess she will be a supervisor soon.  stirthepot 

aa61hvy

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:54 am

I was told by a TSA screener in DAY to take the money out of my wallet before I put it in the xray. She said there is nothing wrong with that and that it wont be detected etc. She also said, there are some scary people working here. Ever since then I pocket my money and throw the empty wallet in.
Go big or go home

MeanGreen

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:56 am

What an idiot. But to be fair there are bad eggs in every organization.

airfoilsguy

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 2):
I was told by a TSA screener in DAY to take the money out of my wallet before I put it in the xray.

Why would you put your wallet in the x-ray? Is this some new rule I don't know about?

She was taken to jail awaiting a charge of theft and was being held on a cash bail amount of $200.

Wow, they realy set the bail high on that one! Do you think she will post the whole bail amount or get a Bondsman and post $20?
 Yeah sure  Yeah sure

[Edited 2006-10-19 00:09:45]
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

aa61hvy

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 4):
Why would you put your wallet in the x-ray? Is this some new rule I don't know about?

I was always told to take out everything in my pockets...Not to mention I have a billfold that has metal in it, not a wallet per se.
Go big or go home

Cubsrule

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:29 am

The funny thing is that the TSA at MKE is much, much more competent than their compatriots at some other airports.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

lincoln

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 5):
I was always told to take out everything in my pockets...Not to mention I have a billfold that has metal in it, not a wallet per se.

I use a Montblanc stearling sliver money clip* and neither it nor my credit card holder leaves my pocket when I'm going through security...and I've never had a problem with it.

If I ever did have a problem, I would request a hand inspection...There's no way I'm putting negotiable instruments through an xray machine. (Not only because I have minimal trust for TSA agents, but that while I'm going through the metal detector any passenger on the other side could "accidenially" grab it.

Lincoln
*- Sadly, it's probably worth more than the amount of cash in it at any given moment, but the combination money clip+credit card holder is a plesant change from the 2"-thick wallet.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HPLASOps

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 7):
I use a Montblanc stearling sliver money clip* and neither it nor my credit card holder leaves my pocket when I'm going through security...and I've never had a problem with it.

Really? I use a money clip too (nothing fancy, just an ordinary metal money clip) and I used to just throw it all in so my pockets would be empty. Then one time, a TSA agent advised me to just throw the clip in and leave the money and cards in my pocket. I know there's a lot of things you can leave in your pocket that the metal detectors would never catch - but something made of pure silver? How does that work?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

ANCFlyer

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:18 am

Why would you put your wallet in the x-ray?

Because you're an idiot. Wallet stays in my hip pocket and never had a problem. Cash, however, is never in the wallet . . . for obvious reasons.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 6):
The funny thing is that the TSA at MKE is much, much more competent than their compatriots at some other airports.

rotfl  Based on what?

And if they are, really, that much more competent, it really isn't all that big a deal. I mean, afterall - look at the TSA in general - would it really take all that much to be more competent?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

lincoln

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 8):
I know there's a lot of things you can leave in your pocket that the metal detectors would never catch - but something made of pure silver? How does that work?

I think the mass is low enough and there's enough other junk around it (money, skin, clothing) that the effect is lessened.

Usually by that time it's the only metal left on me -- I dump my keys, cell phone, watch [heavy metal band], iPod, and usually belt in my laptop bag before getting in line for security, so that helps

I used to leave my belt on, but it the buckle has been just a little too much for some smaller airports so I've started taking it off as a matter of habit (Once at a certain larger airport that I visit frequently I had completely spaced and went through with watch, belt, and moneyclip and had no problems. Once I realized how much metal I had just walked through I thought about turning around and asking if they were sure the metal detectors were still on).
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ikramerica

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am

Anything smaller than your average belt buckle (not texas sized) is fine. Most money clips have less metal and density than a belt buckle.

Now, a pile of loose change is heavier and denser, but one or two quarters won't set it off either.

Never take your wallet out of your pocket.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HPLASOps

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
Anything smaller than your average belt buckle (not texas sized) is fine. Most money clips have less metal and density than a belt buckle.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when I fly to PHX.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

access-air

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):
Because you're an idiot. Wallet stays in my hip pocket and never had a problem. Cash, however, is never in the wallet . . . for obvious reasons.

Pardon me for asking this but isnt carrying your wallet in your hip pocket just asking for a pick pocket to come up and snatch it away??? I have never understood what posesses ANY man to place such an item in a back pocket of their pants.....

For myself everything I have of any value goes in the carryon that goes thru the X-Ray.......My passport and ticket stay in my hand and everything including my watch comes off and goes in the bag......It has so much in it that itd take amonth of sundays for any thief to figure out what the heck he is steeling anyway....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

ANCFlyer

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 13):
Pardon me for asking this but isnt carrying your wallet in your hip pocket just asking for a pick pocket to come up and snatch it away???

Not really. Never had a problem. I check it often, it's there. Cash is never carried there however . . . as I said.

And when I travel, passport and tickets are in my front shirt pocket.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

access-air

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 pm

I see.....thats good then.....I have just never been able to feel comfortable about stowing my wallet there....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

SkyexRamper

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:47 pm

Personally my eyes never leave the the screener or the conveyor belt. I'll be damned if I step past the metal cage thing on the other end. Just a little tip, instead of hassling with your carry-on and the items in your pockets. Put all your lose items in either your carry-on or stuff them all the way into your shoes so that you'd have to tip the shoes backward to get your items out.

But yes, don't trust TSA for the life of you.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

futurecaptain

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:57 pm

One more reason why I dont carry cash....at all. Except for certain situations where I know I will need immediate cash I only carry plastic in my wallet. Anyone wants to steal it they can go right ahead, a few phone calls and everything in it is worthless.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

broke

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Well, it's time for me to get on my soapbox. I guess I should be at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park; but here it goes.

I have gotten background checks from my company, the local school system, the FAA, and the USAF; and I am being regularly shaken down by someone who is a much greater security risk than I'll ever be.

Boy, do I feel secure!!  Wink

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 13):
everything I have of any value goes in the carryon that goes thru the X-Ray

That's how I do it as well. Watch, keys, money clip, cell phone - it is all removed in line for the x-ray and placed in a secure pocket in my carryon. The whole carryon gets scanned and then upon exiting the machine I pull the items out and back on my person.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

halls120

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Why would you put your wallet in the x-ray?

Same here. My wallet never leaves my pocket, unless I intend to use the contents therein.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 19):
That's how I do it as well. Watch, keys, money clip, cell phone - it is all removed in line for the x-ray and placed in a secure pocket in my carryon. The whole carryon gets scanned and then upon exiting the machine I pull the items out and back on my person.

Except for money, I do the same thing. Everything is in the briefcase zipped up, so as to remove the temptation.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Boeing727flyer

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:54 pm

To be honest I NEVER trust those guys. On my trip back from the UK last year I had my English football jersey and some other items removed from my luggage at LGA by TSA staff and they admitted it and got fired,never got my stuff back though. So when asked why my bag is locked I always say " To stop you stealing from my luggage" like last time.
Hail the mighty Boeing 727

VEEREF

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:19 pm

I won't let my stuff go through the machine until it's my turn to walk thru the xray, nor will I leave it behind to do the same. Never let your stuff out of your sight. You have the right to do that. Not just TSA, but anybody can grab stuff if it's unattended.
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

call911mfc

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:37 am

The big problem with the TSA is the general attitude within the TSA bureacracy. They want a law enforcement-type agency, but are only willing to pay WalMart wages. When you have sub-standard hiring practices coupled with sbu-standard pay, it only leads to problems.

When they started the big hiring push several years ago, I had a friend with 20+ years of law enforcement experience. 10 of those were spent in management/leadership positions. He went through the hoops to get hired on, but was turned down for a management position for someone with NO managerial experience.The only reason this person got hired was that they knew the person doing the hiring.

The best way to handle it is to treat the TSA as a legitimate law enforcement agency and train them as such.

flybyguy

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 am

The whole TSA screener crew are thieves... probably not former criminals though (because of the background checks). The TSA has been given very broad powers and leeway in airport security and TSA agents take advantage of this situation by stealing and intimidating complainers either with arrest or through less than sympathetic customer service. Heaven forbid if the TSA is unionized (if it isn't already) then it will become a huge racketeering organization.

Paying TSA agents more is not really the answer either... look at our politicians in Washington, they loot and accept kickbacks despite large personal wealth. With the TSA, you need stricter hiring standards and perhaps heavier penalties for law breakers in uniform... then, and only then, can you reward honest employees with higher pay.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Tod

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
Anything smaller than your average belt buckle (not texas sized) is fine.

Not always. The sensitivity threshold varies.
I've been pulled aside at LAX because of the tiny rivets in my Levis.
TSA joker told me that "should have known better".

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 16):
or stuff them all the way into your shoes

Just remember to take your watch out before you shove your shoe back on.
Been there - done that = ouch!

Tod

YYZYYT

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 10):
Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 8):
I know there's a lot of things you can leave in your pocket that the metal detectors would never catch - but something made of pure silver? How does that work?

I think the mass is low enough and there's enough other junk around it (money, skin, clothing) that the effect is lessened.

Usually by that time it's the only metal left on me -- I dump my keys, cell phone, watch [heavy metal band], iPod, and usually belt in my laptop bag before getting in line for security, so that helps

I used to leave my belt on, but it the buckle has been just a little too much for some smaller airports so I've started taking it off as a matter of habit (Once at a certain larger airport that I visit frequently I had completely spaced and went through with watch, belt, and moneyclip and had no problems. Once I realized how much metal I had just walked through I thought about turning around and asking if they were sure the metal detectors were still on).

That raises an issue I have wondered about. I have had a lot of trouble in the past travelling through YYT, a smaller airport that I use a lot. For a bout a year or two after 9-11, I would leave my wallet in my pocket (no metal in it as far as I know) but then would have the machine beep. The wand disclosed nothing, and off I would go.

Once, I was asked to take my wallet out of my pcket and go thorugh again, so I complied... and no beep. The screener said that their machine was being set off by magnetic strips on the credit cards, security pass for work, etc..

Can this happen? Can they adjust the sensitivity of the machines - I noticed after a while that it had stopped happening?

VonRichtofen

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:47 am

The TSA... hahaha

I hate to bring Bush into another thread but it's funny when the Bush administration accuses other nations of lax security when their own is a joke. TSA doesn't even X-ray all checked baggage, right now they X-ray 88% Canada's CATSA on the other hand X-rays 100% of checked baggage.

So on a flight with 200 bags checked 24 of them have had no screening whatsoever... Do you really feel safer with the TSA at the helm?

lincoln

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 27):
So on a flight with 200 bags checked 24 of them have had no screening whatsoever... Do you really feel safer with the TSA at the helm?

As I've told coworkers, I'd almost rather have no security than the illusion of security -- At least
(a) People wouldn't be treated like criminals
(b) There's the equal probability of someone with ill intentions and someone with no ill intentions having a weapon should an issue develop.

It may not be logical, but it couldn't be any worse than TSA, it seems.

Lincoln

laxatljfkcvg

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 am

Millwaukeeout of all airports!

Now thats just funny!

laxatljfkcvg

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:51 am

Millwaukee out of all airports!

Now thats just funny!

ckfred

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:58 am

Just a tip. I put everything in my pockets that could have metal (wallets, keys, change, fountain pens, etc.) in my carry-on bag, before I enter the security line. That way, the only items that I put in the x-ray machine are by carry-on bag, shoes, suit coat, and trench coat.

If a TSA screener or professional thief want my money and/or credit cards, he's going to have to open my carry-on bag and do some rummaging.

Tom in NO

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 6):

I'll buy that.....sometime pre-Katrina there were something like 8 TSA agents at MSY arrested at the same time for theft. TSA ought to stand for "Thousands Stealing Again" .....

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SkyexRamper

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 am

Where are the background checks on these people? I mean average good hearted people just don't start stealing. I'll bet 1/5 of all TSA screens have had a punishable offense on their record prior to getting hired. But let us not forget that the government is highly overpaid to do this job at the same effective levels as pre 9/11 contracted screens. Would we be better off it the budget for TSA airport screens went to cities and counties that own/run the airports and staffed checkpoints with just Police Officers??

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 27):

Pre 9/11 there was no screening at airports for checked bags even though since the dawn of airlines, people have packed small bombs into checked bags and taken down flights. But only after people hijack a flight do we start screening bags...what does hijacking a plane have to do with screening for bombs??

Quoting Laxatljfkcvg (Reply 29):
Millwaukeeout of all airports!

Now thats just funny!

I totally agree. Milwaukee is a safe and efficient airport for travel as it was just named #3 in the country for ease of connections and in the top 10 for something else. (Read it in USA Today 2 weeks ago)

TSA is and will always be a joke!! I've never met one friendly screener, they all just bark orders and don't give a damn about who passengers really are, people like them, instead we get treated like cattle.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

YULWinterSkies

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 am

Because you're an idiot

Please, no personal insults on a public forum... Thanks.

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 31):
Just a tip. I put everything in my pockets that could have metal (wallets, keys, change, fountain pens, etc.) in my carry-on bag, before I enter the security line. That way, the only items that I put in the x-ray machine are by carry-on bag, shoes, suit coat, and trench coat. If a TSA screener or professional thief want my money and/or credit cards, he's going to have to open my carry-on bag and do some rummaging.

Good tip. Wallet usually ends up in my coat pocket or anything like that. Small change in pockets too. Because I would lose it otherwise, irregardless of TSA's honesty. As simple as that.

Only metal on me is my jeans buttons, my watch (plastic but some metal screws, ties etc) , my glasses. No more. Well, shoes if they have metallic pieces and not in the USA. I still make the alarm ring 50% of the time. As a result, not having unnecessary non-metallic items on me makes the second search process quicker and less unpleasant. (a wallet in your pocket, and you have to take it out, and you look suspicious until you have not done so, etc...) The less time I spend facing the TSA, the happier I am. So I cooperate as much as I can.
When I doubt... go running!

Tugger

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:32 am

Everything of mine that is metal comes off and goes into my carry-on's zip pocket. I just don't care to have any reason for them to say "please step over here".

I keep nothing in my pockets while I am on the plane/in my seat. Phone/PDA goes in the seat pocket. It can be uncomfortable enough, no need to have a wallet or key and stuff adding to that (or have something fall out and have to reach around under the seat to retrieve it. You know how impossible THAT can be).

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:49 am

Cash, however, is never in the wallet . . . for obvious reasons.

Yeah, cop salaries are way too low  Wink I want a raise!
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

call911mfc

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 am

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 26):
Once, I was asked to take my wallet out of my pcket and go thorugh again, so I complied... and no beep. The screener said that their machine was being set off by magnetic strips on the credit cards, security pass for work, etc..

Can this happen? Can they adjust the sensitivity of the machines - I noticed after a while that it had stopped happening?

Yes, the sensitivity of the machines can be adjusted, but there isn't a machine out there that will pick up the magnetic strip on a credit card or two. Wallets as a whole when filled with just credit cards don't set off metal detectors. It's when there's a metal piece or money clip as part of the wallet that you run into problems.

What sets off most detectors are belt buckles and shoes. The belt buckles are obvious, but many shoes have metal shanks in the heels or in the case of hiking boots and the like, the eyelets will set the machine off.

When machines are set to be very sensitive, even a couple of quarters in a pocket will set it off.

On the flip side, sometimes the machines do miss things when the condition is right. In the 5 years I worked with metal detectors/x-ray machines, I saw the supervisors play around and get some interesting things through the metal detectors at both the lowest and highest settings.

arffguy

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 24):
The whole TSA screener crew are thieves

Dang dude, such a sweeping generalization. I take it none of your friends or relatives work for TSA. Do you get peeved when people say that all of you Cessna pilots are dangerous and we should ban little airplanes? I bet you do.

I still watch my stuff because of everybody else in the terminal not just the TSA.
Time to spare, go by air.

Baron52ta

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Wow, they realy set the bail high on that one! Do you think she will post the whole bail amount or get a Bondsman and post $20?

If the bail is that she would probably have that in her pocket anyway haha. But what happens behind the scenes with checked bags is worse as they require you leave your bags unlocked, I have heard of more than one instance where large value items have gone after TSA have screened the bags out of site of pax.

DABZF

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:10 pm

It's funny how they they are called "Transportation Security"... security as safe, right? I'm always scared stiff when I go through security in US and it's not because I have something to hide. Some of those guys looks like your average criminal on the ghetto... and that's because they probably are.

Yet another great American security flaw... it's great to have tight security rules when some of the security officers are thieves! Great!  bigthumbsup 
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

copter808

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 24):
The whole TSA screener crew are thieves... probably not former criminals though (because of the background checks). The TSA has been given very broad powers and leeway in airport security and TSA agents take advantage of this situation by stealing and intimidating complainers either with arrest or through less than sympathetic customer service. Heaven forbid if the TSA is unionized (if it isn't already) then it will become a huge racketeering organization.

Wow, that's a pretty libelous statement! Where on earth did you get this information from?

57AZ

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 36):
Yeah, cop salaries are way too low

No kidding! Salaries for public servants are really bad, especially those who deal with dangerous duties or confidential information. In the past few years, our agency has had a couple of people who have used confidential information for their private financial gain. They were terminated and prosecuted for the offenses. Airlines are where the automobile industry was thirty years ago-safety does not sell and is therefore not worth the investment. Now the automakers are touting safety ratings (our car is safer than our competitor's).

As for security, it's only as good as what you pay for. Security at our court is good during the day when we have armed judicial security. After hours, it's little better than a commercial office building (pprivate security guards). Federal courts on the other hand are very secure, using the latest technology at all checkpoints and no nonsense armed Court Security Officers who have full arrest powers (usually retired US Marshals).
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

kaukau

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:30 am

How the heck did our civil aviation industry make it from 1919 to 1969 or so without all this BS, and aren't we the lucky ones who remember it well?