jumpjet

British Airways Fleet Purchase Plans

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:41 pm

Sincerest of apologies if this has been already covered, but I've just noticed this article and thought it might be of interest. I do however appreciate that it tells us nothing we didn't really already know.

"BA to order fleet of long-haul planes"

Tuesday October 17, 2006
source - Guardian Unlimited

British Airways said today it was planning to place a major order for new long-haul aircraft that could be worth billions of pounds to Airbus or Boeing.
The order is likely to spark fierce competition between the two rival manufacturers.
BA said it is planning to place orders next year for new aircraft - its first major order in nearly a decade - to replace 20 Boeing 747s and 14 Boeing 767s.
It has invited Airbus and Boeing, as well as engine manufacturers Engine Alliance, General Electric and Rolls-Royce and other key component suppliers, to bid.
It said it was considering three Airbus aircraft - the A330, the A350 and the A380 superjumbo - and three Boeing aircraft - the best-selling 787 Dreamliner, the 777 and the 747-8, a new version of the 747.
"Both major manufacturers have their reasons for wanting to make us attractive offers," said a spokesman for the airline.
It said the fuel efficiency of the aircraft would be one of the key criteria in its decision.
BA's last major aircraft order was in August 1998, when it ordered 59 Airbus A320s and 16 Boeing 777s. The airline currently has 114 long-haul aircraft in operation, all of which are made by Boeing. Its short-haul fleet is a mixture of Airbus and Boeing aircraft.
British Airways' chief executive, Willie Walsh, said: "For the past four years, we have grown capacity by using our aircraft more efficiently. In order to continue to grow our longhaul business we now need additional long-haul aircraft."
The order increases the pressure on BA to tackle its £2.1bn pension deficit. "It is a major blocker to growth and investment in our business but I am confident we will resolve it," Mr Walsh said.

SAS A340

RE: British Airways Fleet Purchase Plans

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:50 pm

I hope they go for A380!!
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

vsflyer747400

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:51 pm

It has already been covered - see the following threads...

BA rfp longhaul replacement
Being on: (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA

KQ772

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:57 am

A 773ER would look really nice in BA's colours.

I hope they are a regular site at Heathrow in years to come as well as the new 748's which I guess they will plan to purchase since they have had 747's in their fleet since BOAC's time.

Well its a wait and see moment to who finally gets the order (Boeing or Airbus) although whichever one it will be good to see some new aircraft in BA's fleet  Smile

KQ772

MEACEDAR

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:51 am

I would imagine that BA's colors would look awesome on an A330. I hope they go for the B787 and the A380.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos