globalflyer

Will EK Compete With DL On The DXB-ATL Route?

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi all... just wondering after the annoucement by DL on new nonstop 777 service ATL-DXB if EK will compete? I have heard a list of cities that EK has on its North American "wishlist" including SFO, IAH, ORD, YYZ, etc but never ATL. Since EK are not in a global alliance I do not see any feed out of ATL but only on their end out of DXB. Appreciate your thoughts.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

deltadawg

RE: Will EK Compete With DL On The DXB-ATL Route?

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:39 pm

I said in another thread that DL needs to have some sort of codeshare with an airline there at DXB to really make this route work. I believe you will see some codeshare flights on both ends in order to make this a successful route for DL and a good opportunity for both feeder business and gateway into N. America for EK.

If it works out well for both, could it lead EK to joining SkyTeam?
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

fewsolarge

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:30 pm

Heck no, they won't double up to ATL. And DL can probably do fine on the route without connecting traffic on the DXB end. Although they'd be smart to try to get some. SkyTeam, if EK is even interested in an alliance, could be an interesting choice. Having MH on board would make it much more attractive.

airbazar

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:37 pm

They will compete indirectly, in the sense that both EK and DL will make it possible to travel between Dubai and many cities in the US, with only one stop.

papatango

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 3):

Yes but only one can offer same carrier service to these cities! DELTA!

rwsea

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting Globalflyer (Thread starter):
Hi all... just wondering after the annoucement by DL on new nonstop 777 service ATL-DXB if EK will compete? I have heard a list of cities that EK has on its North American "wishlist" including SFO, IAH, ORD, YYZ, etc but never ATL. Since EK are not in a global alliance I do not see any feed out of ATL but only on their end out of DXB. Appreciate your thoughts.

No way - DL is going to be relying on it's connecting feed from the US and possibly Latin America to feed this flight. ATL has almost no O&D traffic to DXB. If EK were starting the route, the main users of the flight would be ATL-based pax going to the Middle East or India, and there are very few of those.

deltadawg

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 am

This could lead to a win-win situation for both companies with feeding and connection possibilities for both. DL with further W. Asian/Indian/African connections and EK with N. American/Caribbean/Latin America connections through two of the largest airports in the world.

If I were Grinstein I would be on the first flight to DXB to pound out a deal as soon as possible.

Just my $.02
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

777boi

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:42 am

EK and DL already codeshare on some flights out of LGW, so maybe we could see some sort of codeshare agreement on outbound flights from DXB. It will be a very welcome sight to see a US carrier on ground here in DXB.