777jaah
Topic Author

Pizza Delivery In Alaska, By Airplane.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:33 am

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been discussed before, or even if it belongs to the right forum, but I found this pretty interesting. I just want it to share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHLVPHSGxI&mode=user&search=

I bet there's no 30 min guarantee on this delivery ahh??? I sure would take that delivery job any time.

Cheers

JAAH
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

futurecaptain

RE: Pizza Delivery In Alaska, By Airplane.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:21 am

Where do I apply to be a pizza pilot?

Although it may arrive with a slice or two missing.  Wink
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

KLM685

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:20 am

WOOW That's so cool. I can't imagine a plane bringing me my weekly pepperoni pizza! lol

Plus being a pilot and eating pizza onflight must be definately a cool and delicious experience. Probably the first deliveries would be incomplete and by the end of the day our weight would be alot more. hehe
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

HPLASOps

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:21 am

$30 a pie? Can you really be profitable delivering by plane on $30 bucks a pie? The fuel alone must be that much, maybe more, let alone the cost of the pizza (and labor).
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

Dtw757

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:19 am

Wow...someone is flying these pizza's for charity because you'd never cover the costs at $30 a pizza.....Where do I apply?
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

mtnwest1979

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 3):
$30 a pie? Can you really be profitable delivering by plane on $30 bucks a pie? The fuel alone must be that much, maybe more, let alone the cost of the pizza (and labor).

They just fly them in on the regular Frontier Flying Service flights, I believe. So the only extra cost is the weight of the pies.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

N1120A

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 4):

Wow...someone is flying these pizza's for charity because you'd never cover the costs at $30 a pizza

There was something on this before. I believe a small costs $30, while larger ones with more complex toppings are more.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BoomBoom

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 1):

Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks AK 99709
Attn: Human Resources
Fax: 907-450-7274
http://www.frontierflying.com/jobs.html

[Edited 2006-10-21 00:20:05]
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

Avsfan

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:01 am

When I was an ATC Controller on a remote assignment for the USAF, we would have Domino's pizza delivered at times from Fairbanks, AK to Galena, AK. Delivery was by either a Navaho or Chieftain aircraft that flew for Friendship Air out of Fairbanks.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

L-188

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 3):
Can you really be profitable delivering by plane on $30 bucks a pie? The fuel alone must be that much, maybe more, let alone the cost of the pizza (and labor).

As mentioned earlier, you just pay the freight weight for the pizza adn it comes in on the normal mail flight.

Now if you want to charter the plane to specficily to fly the pizzia in then it is going to cost a lot more.

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 7):

Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks AK 99709
Attn: Human Resources
Fax: 907-450-7274
http://www.frontierflying.com/jobs.html

Actually just about any of the bush companies will do this.

When I was working for Reeve, I saw Domino's and Pizzia Hut come in from town on a couple of occasions.

And one time the high school booster club in the next town had 300 McDonalds Cheeseburgers flown in to sell at the game that night....I had to help load them on a crab boat to make the trip over.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

United767

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 8):
When I was an ATC Controller on a remote assignment for the USAF, we would have Domino's pizza delivered at times from Fairbanks, AK to Galena, AK. Delivery was by either a Navaho or Chieftain aircraft that flew for Friendship Air out of Fairbanks.

LOL, a few weeks back we called a pizza place in LGA and had it put on a Delta Shuttle plane and flown down to DCA for our lunch. We met the plane and had hot pizza for lunch. The flight attendants kept it up front and the place even kept it in the warmer box. We sent the box back on the return trip.  bigthumbsup 
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:59 am

We had a thread on this not so long ago . . .

I attempted a search . . . using this ridiculously crappy search engine A-Net has now . . . with no result.

It was a decent thread, lots of info, this topic . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

COERJ145

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:12 pm

When I was at ERAU prescott last july for a flight expo, we were flying PRC-SEZ-PRC. On SEZ-PRC, we had to return to SEZ due to severe weather in PRC. We then had to order dominoes pizza at SEZ b/c the airport restuarant was closed. We had about 2 boxes of pizza left when we had to return, so we did a "pizza delivery service" back to PRC, lol.

TK787

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:39 pm

When I worked at Port Bailey, Kodiak Island in Alaska, in the winter of 1989; we used to order pizza from downtown Kodiak to be delivered to us by a float plane, since Port Bailey was a cannery in the middle of nowhere; no roads, no town just accessible by boat or plane.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/bonbonturc/airlines/Picture2.png

falstaff

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Not exactly an airplane story, but...

On 8-12-06 I was on a tour vessel (M/V Friendship) on the Detroit river and we had pizza delivered by the J.W. Wescott II mailboat.

In 1994, when I was in high school, I had Corky's in Memphis FedEx me their ribs. I did it to impress a girl. It worked! The ribs and the ******* were very good.

Although it may arrive with a slice or two missing.

That is why I could never deliver pizza, I love it too much.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

sw733

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:29 pm

I was in Prague this past new years, and they delivered pizza by subway...kinda funny seeing a guy carry a pizza box (with no insulation) onto the subway in 20 degree weather...that could NOT have been even warm when it arrived.

Pizza by airplane...that would be neat to see for sure! Not sure if I would pop the money for it.

HAL

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:31 pm

While on furlough from Hawaiian in 2003 and 2004, I flew for Warbelow's Air Ventures in Fairbanks, a competetor to Frontier flying service. We flew Navajos on a regular schedule all around the interior. I often flew stacks of pizzas (10 or more at a time) as freight to places like Ft. Yukon, Huslia, Hughes, and Anaktuvik pass. It sure was nice to replace the normal smells of wood smoke, fish, and wet clothing in the planes with that of pepperoni and sausage!

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

futurecaptain

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 15):
Pizza by airplane...that would be neat to see for sure!

Speaking of pizza makes me think of beer.....

I know some guys who made a beer run to Alabama one afternoon. Rented a C-172 and filled up the back seats with cases of beer because the alcohol content is more across the border.
Sometimes it's good to be a pilot. lol.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

BoomBoom

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
And one time the high school booster club in the next town had 300 McDonalds Cheeseburgers flown in to sell at the game that night....I had to help load them on a crab boat to make the trip over.

I'd rather have crab!.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
I attempted a search . . . using this ridiculously crappy search engine A-Net has now . . . with no result.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't find ANYTHING using the new useless "search" feature.
 Angry

ikramerica

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 14):
The ribs and the ******* were very good.

I hope they sent extra wet naps.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

L-188

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 18):
I'd rather have crab!.

They have crab, that was a fishing town....But there is a shortage of cows in the islands.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Finally found the damn thing with this search engine . . .

Pizza + Delivery, All Words, Most Recent First . . .

RE: Alaskans Get Their Pizzas By Air (by Airwave Apr 11 2006 in Civil Aviation)?searchid=2712917&s=Pizza+Delivery#ID2712917
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Vref5

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm

I just wonder how they keep it warm in the winter.  Smile

The weather near the arctic circle is brutally cold in the winter... temperature can be anywhere between -25 deg F to -60 deg F. Trust me; it's COLDBig grin I've been to the arctic for vacation in January.

When it gets THAT cold, cabin temp of a GA plane, with maximum heating from the carb heat, warms up to about -20 or -25 deg F at most. Common issue for GA or bush pilots is keeping extremities warm (especially toes!).

The specially insulated bags for the pizzas are great, but I really have to wonder how they hold up in extreme temperatures.  Smile

Summers are much warmer... gets up to 40 above (+40 deg F). I can't imagine too much issues in keeping pizza warm with these bags down to 0 or so, but not sure about below 0.

Makes me wonder if it's a summer-only service... or if it's year round, how they cope with the wintry temperatures.

a3xx900

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:32 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
And one time the high school booster club in the next town had 300 McDonalds Cheeseburgers flown in to sell at the game that night

Hmmmm.... Now that sounds nasty. I know that we throw them away (I work for Micky D's) after 10 minutes if they dont get sold. Having them flown in for a game must take... hours. Naaaasty!
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting Vref5 (Reply 22):
The weather near the arctic circle is brutally cold in the winter... temperature can be anywhere between -25 deg F to -60 deg F. Trust me; it's COLD! I've been to the arctic for vacation in January.

I would assume that the pizza would be frozen in only a few minutes under those conditions. So you would have frozen pizza you would have to warm up in an oven, just like you got it from your supermarket freezer, although fresher, probably better tasting.
Consider that lobster and other seafood is delivered fresh all over the world by air, especially to fill up freighters for return runs to Japan and other Asian countries. Then you have mail order in insulated containers of speciality foods, high grade steaks, seafood and resturant specialities like BBQ food from various areas of the USA to other areas, overseas.

N31029

Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi Everyone.

For great pizza, the price could never be too high nor the distance too far. Those that have never experienced Chicago, Illinois' greatest contribution to the culinary world cannot even imagine what they are missing. Awe-inspiring is just a start!

Living in the pizza capital of planet Earth (again, Chicago, Illinois) we are blessed (and spoiled) by the likes of the true heavyweights in Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, Giordano's, and, Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due.

Lou Malnati's in particular, arguably the "best of the best" will fly your pie just about anywhere ready to be "brought to life" in your own pizza kitchen.

A few years back, while travelling IAD-MCO on a UAL 752, we were treated in F class to a Pizzeria Uno deep dish cheeseburger pizza as a meal choice. Needless to say this flight ranks as one of my all-time personal favorites.

Blessings, N31029
John 3:16

Frontiercpt

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Although it may arrive with a slice or two missing.

Last week, I ordered a medium pizza from a Pizza Hut...and when they guy delivered it, he was really jumpy and thrust the pizza at me and ran down the stairs after shoving the change in my hand. When I opened up the box, there were two slices missing.  boggled  I guess it went for a good cause? Big grin

flybyguy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting United767 (Reply 10):
LOL, a few weeks back we called a pizza place in LGA and had it put on a Delta Shuttle plane and flown down to DCA for our lunch. We met the plane and had hot pizza for lunch. The flight attendants kept it up front and the place even kept it in the warmer box. We sent the box back on the return trip.

Huh? What's so wrong with pizza in DC to go through the trouble of ordering it from NYC and have it put on a flight?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

BoomBoom

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Vref5 (Reply 22):
I just wonder how they keep it warm in the winter.

What's wrong with cold pizza?

I often have it leftover the next day.

20 seconds per slice in the microwave is all it takes.

ikramerica

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting N31029 (Reply 25):
Living in the pizza capital of planet Earth

Chicagoans are funny, thinking their pizza is the only pizza on earth. It's a very delicious TYPE of pizza, but there are other very delicious TYPES of pizza.

Chicago is the world capital of Chicago style deep dish pizza. It is not the pizza capital of the world, however...  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

call911mfc

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:53 am

I have a couple of friends who take a hunting/fishing trip to the northern territories of Canada every couple of years. There are no roads in. They fly in and plane doesn't show up again until comes back to get them a week or two later. The pilot says he can make a trip in for several hundred dollars, empty or not. They got to joking with the pilot about the cost of delivering a pizza. He laughed and told them that it would still be a couple hundred bucks and might be missing a piece or two.

The funniest thing is that the pilot told them there's a guy who goes up there once a year who flies some pizzas in at the end of the first week just to impress his buddies.....

roadrunner165

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:08 am

I've had Airport Pizza many times while living in Nome and I can honestly say its worth every penny. Its some of the best pizza I have ever had, and they provide excellent customer service too. The pizza is delivered at no additional cost (free) for those living in the villages, courtesy of Frontier Flying Service.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.airportpizza.com/

This type of thing really isn't that uncommon in rural Alaska. I know people from Nome who call up relatives in Anchorage and have them pick up KFC, McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc and gold streak it on Alaska Airlines to Nome several times a year. It arrives a little cold, but taste great nevertheless!

Seeing this story makes me so excited to move back to Nome next spring.

Adam

captaink

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:45 am

Gotta love America. Big grin

But food on planes is common for airport workers. I worked in Grenada. Trinidad is an airline nearby with a greater variety of food. Many time we had a flight that would stop in GND on its way to POS and return via GND. SO at times we arranged for them to bring up donuts from a Trinidadian joint, some other Trindadian/Indian food etc. After the hurricane of 2004, pretty much everything was out of order in GND, but we were having KFC for lunch. I mean we deserved it ay.. instead of repairing our houses we were working.
There is something special about planes....

thegreatchecko

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:08 am

As hard as it is to believe, Frontier does it for free.

It's a goodwill thing. The business relys on villagers thinking of them when they want to go somewhere and what better way to do that than bringing them pizza. Not to mention the free publicity.

And where they got the $30 charge, I don't know. Thats the price of an extra large specialty pizza, not a regular pepperoni.

For those of you who want to fly for Frontier, there are two ways to do it. Either get to know a pilot who recommends you or show up in person a couple of times a year in Fairbanks and ask to see the chief pilot. Its a small and very personal company.

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

SJUboeingGirl

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:00 am

wow, that sounds so cool! We don't have that service over here but there are a couple of pizza places like domino's and pizza hut that delivers to the beach 4 free.
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

lordg

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:06 am

i guess that's wat u call plane pizza.
somone had to make that trashy gag.
If you're going through hell- keep going!

N1120A

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 29):
Chicago is the world capital of Chicago style deep dish pizza. It is not the pizza capital of the world, however...

You are right, Chicago is most definately not the pizza capital of the world and deep dish isn't very good anyway.

boo25

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:14 am

That is just pretty pathetic in my mind....

No wonder the world is running out of oil, if people are able to waste it like this for the sake of a damn pizza .

Just proves oil is just too cheap in some parts of the world....

The pizza place owner said it was all part of the American Dream, more like a nightmare environmentally.

I'm all for aviation, but not on this scale.

Why don't these people just stock up on good frozen pizza when they head into a town - and do the planet some good in the process?

Pretty ridiculous.

Chugach

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Boo25 (Reply 37):

No wonder the world is running out of oil, if people are able to waste it like this for the sake of a damn pizza .

The pizza place owner said it was all part of the American Dream, more like a nightmare environmentally.

Why don't these people just stock up on good frozen pizza when they head into a town - and do the planet some good in the process?

Pretty ridiculous.

Did you even read this thread? The pizzas go on regularly scheduled flights. Nobody is chartering a plane to order a "damn pizza." I'm all for resource conservation, but lighten up.
GO ROCKETS

N1120A

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:46 am

Why don't these people just stock up on good frozen pizza when they head into a town

Because frozen pizza is not the same thing.

Pretty ridiculous.

You missed it, didn't you. These communities in Alaska have only one way of getting food, mail, transport, etc. and that is by airplane. Frontier Flying Service does a lot of this bush flying and happens to carry a few pizzas on as a free service (which impresses me BTW) so that these people can have a little extra luxury. The fact that the pizza restaurant is right at the airport just makes things all the easier.

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:02 pm

Pretty ridiculous.

Boo25 =  footinmouth 

I'll tell you what is ridiculous - people making ignorant posts because they fail to read and comprehend the thread . . . now THAT is frackin' ridiculous!  irked 

sarcastic 

dxBrian

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:08 am

Boo25, those planes are how people get to town in that part of the world. Everything is delivered by airplane. Most of these towns are not linked by roads.
There's not much in the way of frozen foods available from what markets there are because it is not cost effective to carry items which will bulk out a small aircraft.