BA
Topic Author

AI(R) 70-seat Regional Jet

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find some information on the never built AI(R) 70-seat regional jet? Were any designs ever revealed?

For those who don't know, AI(R) was a short-lived European consortium between British Aerospace, Aerospatiale, and Alenia aimed at developing a regional aircraft family.

Also, what is the significance of the AI(R) acronym? What exactly did its logo look like?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Tangowhisky

RE: AI(R) 70-seat Regional Jet

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:59 am

The only information would be from back issues of Flight International. They showed some artist renderings with tail mounted engines, and I believe the cross section was 2x2. This program was mainly driven by ATR when they saw the surge in RJ sales back in the later part of the 90's as they had only the ATR-42 and -72 TP models.

The AI(R) consortium was lead by ATR. They initially were talking to Saab and Embraer, but ended up being partners with BAe. The sales of ATR and BAe were combined for a couple of years and the new company was called AI(R) - therefore any ATR or BAE-146 sales were actually made by the new name AI(R). The partnership did not work out with BAe, the two went their separate ways. Perhaps other can add more.

TW
Only the paranoid survive