747hogg
Topic Author

If Flight Has To Med Devert, Will Trip Ins Cover?

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:06 am

I understand it could cost as much as $100.000 in some cases if a heavy has to dump fuel and nose down to some sub standard airport that has no service facilities for a jumbo, in the event a real medical crisis comes up. Can a pax buy a policy that will defray the tremendous burden the airline will suffer just to try to save a life?

OPNLguy

RE: If Flight Has To Med Devert, Will Trip Ins Cover?

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:29 am

If you're asking if you, the individual passenger, can buy a policy that will pay -you- the $100,000, I say no.

If you're asking whether you, the individual passnger, can buy a trip interruption policy, the answer is yes, but you'd need to check the fine print of whatever policy you might buy to see if delays from passenger medical diversions were covered and what they'd pay for, or not covered. Heck, they might consider them "Acts of God" and not cover them...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bond007

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting 747hogg (Thread starter):
that will defray the tremendous burden the airline will suffer just to try to save a life?

...just to try and save a life .....how inconsiderate. Let's hope it's not your life...they might not bother and try and save some money!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

747hogg
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 am

Don't be an ass bond, if by a pax being considerate enough to shell out a few bucks to complement the airline for sacrificing money they don't have, in the way of a policy that would help cover this cost, everyone would benefit! I think it's a hell of a good idea, and the odds of someone ever have the insurance co. pay a claim like this are mighty slim. Insurance companys love this kind of risk ratio and I'm really surprised they are'nt pushing it. If American only made a rotten $200 on the cross country trip as seen on tv recently, one heart attack over El Paso would have set them back tens of thousands.

PER744

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 am

Er...wouldn't this be something the airline insures against, rather than the passenger?

N1120A

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting 747hogg (Reply 3):
If American only made a rotten $200 on the cross country trip as seen on tv recently, one heart attack over El Paso would have set them back tens of thousands.

That rotten $200 is after AA includes all their other expenses, including the costs of their various diversions over the course of a year.

Don't be an ass bond, if by a pax being considerate enough to shell out a few bucks to complement the airline for sacrificing money they don't have, in the way of a policy that would help cover this cost, everyone would benefit

He's not the one being foolish, you are. It is the airline's duty to get all the passengers to their destination safely, securely and ontime. If a passenger has a heart attack, they need to make sure that their health is not compromised by some idiotic wish to make money. Further, airlines are required to carry their own insurance policies, for the benefit of passengers, not the other way around for passengers who have already paid their part of the contract by buying a ticket.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bond007

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:30 am

Don't be an ass bond,

Yeah sure
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

BigOrange

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 2):
just to try and save a life .....how inconsiderate. Let's hope it's not your life...they might not bother and try and save some money!

I don't understand how he is being inconsiderate  confused 

To answer your original question 747Hogg, so that I do not get a message deleted for being off-topic, I am not aware of any policy that you can buy to cover such an event, but I'm sure airlines will start passing the cost on to the sick passenger very soon as another way to make money, in which case then the insurers will include it in trip insurance policies.

As for the airlines having such coverage, I don't know, but if it's essential for your health to know  Wink then I can try to find out from one of our aviation underwriters.

oznznut

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:51 am

I think that maybe the thread-starter was asking if there was an insurance policy that an individual could buy to cover the costs IF the airline tried to recover the cost of the diversion from the pax that got sick. Example--pax A got Sick. Airline diverted to XYZ Airport. Airline sue pax A for cost of diversion. Insurance that pax A bought before flight paid airline. Anyway, thats what I think we are talking about.

Boston92

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:08 am

100,000 dollars is basically a 20 dollar bill for the airlines. Airlines pay hundreds of millions of dollars just for a RIGHT to a certain route.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

ctbarnes

Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 9):
100,000 dollars is basically a 20 dollar bill for the airlines. Airlines pay hundreds of millions of dollars just for a RIGHT to a certain route.

This is true. Airlines generally eat the cost of diverting in the case of a legitimate medical emergency. It would be very difficult, if not impossible to try and get the customers to pay, insurance would refuse to remburse, and from a PR standpoint this could backfire very badly as we see news reports of United or American sending a $100,000 bill to a widow whose husband died of a heart attack that occured on board.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos