LAXdude1023
Topic Author

LY And SAA At LAX

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 am

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about how the loads are between TLV and LAX on EL AL flights 5 and 6. Specifically, how does it preform compared to the other flights to North America on LY (NYC, MIA, YYZ/ORD). Has anybody taken the flight?

Also does anyone know what the possibility is that we will ever see SAA at LAX? Maybe through GIG or GRU (the later would probably be more likely).
It is what it is...

LAXintl

RE: LY And SAA At LAX

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:02 am

LA-Israel has always been quite a seasonal market. This year will be the first one LY will be trying its nonstop service in the winter. In the past the nonstop flights only operated during the peak summers as suplemental services to the then YYZ or JFK one-stop service.
As far as specific performance this summer, boardings have been strong in the 80% range (possibly a little weaker due the Lebanon conflict).

As far as SAA, they were about to start LAX service sometime in the mid 80s just prior to US sanctions being imposed. SAA had spent quite a bit of money and even opened a ticket office in anticipation of the route. If I remember correctly the flight was to be a tag-on to some other US service they had at the time.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

andz

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
tag-on to some other US service they had at the time.

In the days before sanctions SAA flew to JFK and IAH. This is a first day cover commemorating the first flight to Houston

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/380saa37.jpg
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

OA412
Crew

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
As far as SAA, they were about to start LAX service sometime in the mid 80s just prior to US sanctions being imposed. SAA had spent quite a bit of money and even opened a ticket office in anticipation of the route. If I remember correctly the flight was to be a tag-on to some other US service they had at the time.

I also seem to remember hearing a rumor that SAA were once considering flying to LAX via GRU.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:49 am

Nice post card, Andz.

I was not living in Houston at the time of SA's operations here but I heard the weekly service was doing well. I spoke to a SAA rep in NY back in the 90s and was told that in the early 80s, LAX and MIA (not IAH) were to be their 2nd and 3rd US destinations. However as the cities of Los Angeles and Miami imposed sanctions (many cities and states pre-dated the Feds on imposing trade sanctions on South Africa) on doing an business with South Africa, Houston was selected.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos