AirSpare
Topic Author

Aeroflot Ends IL-86 Service Next Month

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:57 pm

Fair use excerpt:

From Reuters-MOSCOW, Oct 24 - Russian airline Aeroflot will speed up reform of its ageing fleet, it said on Tuesday, announcing plans to pull its nine fuel-thirsty Ilyushin Il-86 planes from service next month.

"Il-86 planes will not be in use starting November 15, and it is too costly to keep them through the winter and fly just two or three months in the summer," Aeroflot's Deputy Director General Igor Desyatnichenko told reporters.

The article goes on to state they are looking to lease them, to me, it sounds like somebody in Africa may get them.

Is there a A330 lease/sale in the air for next years tourist season? A 767-X possibility? I thought it interesting they are only flying these a few months out of the year, replacing them with a few Busses makes sense, as they can then be scheduled into European destinations year round.

ed:spelling

[Edited 2006-10-24 14:00:19]
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

noelg

RE: Aeroflot Ends IL-86 Service Next Month

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Oh no!

Now I'll never get a chance to fly on them! One of the most beautiful Russian airliners I think, alongside of course the IL76!

Cheers
Noel

MEA-707

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:20 pm

The Il-86 will continue modestly with some other Russian and former Soviet airlines for a few years. Current operators are supposed to be:
Russia: Pulkovo, Atlant Soyuz, Vaso, Aeroflot, Russian Sky/East Line, Ural Airlines, Sibir, Kras Air, Tatarstan, Continental Airways
ex Soviet: Uzbekistan Airways, Air Kazakstan, Armavia

But if you want to fly it, or the Il-62 or Tu-134, I would say, hurry to the CIS within the next five years before it's too late!

Outside the Soviet Union, the Il-86 only flew in China shortly. I don't expect it to turn up in Africa as it doesn't have a cargodoor, it is a lousy climber which needs long runways, it's too noisy to go anywhere in Europe, and the only airlines who have 300+ passengers to fly around in one batch have too high standards (SAA, Kenya, Egyptair) to want them.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

American 767

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:37 pm

I'm also sad to see them go as me neither, I will probably never have a chance to fly on one. The IL-96 however will be around longer. But it was not built in large number and only four airlines have them: Aeroflot, Kras Air, Domodedovo and Cubana. I don't see what other airline is going to buy it. Maybe Uzbekistan? If Aeroflot needs an aircraft any larger than the 767-300 they will pick up additional IL-96's.

I was wondering why Aeroflot never painted any, not even one, IL-86 in the new colors. Yes you are going to tell me it's because they are to be phased out soon, but the TU-134's did receive the new paint job and those are also due to be retired soon.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

afay1

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 am

As with anything Aeroflot says (787vsA350 and the Sheremetyevo 3 vapor terminal/railway), believe it only when they physically disappear. It is more likely that they will continue to serve in charter/regular capacity to winter holiday destinations this winter...

Aeroflot777

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 4):
As with anything Aeroflot says (787vsA350 and the Sheremetyevo 3 vapor terminal/railway), believe it only when they physically disappear. It is more likely that they will continue to serve in charter/regular capacity to winter holiday destinations this winter...

Agreed. We might just see them a little while longer. If seats need to be filled, SU will still use them from time to time. Although, there is a chance of the press release being correct. It's really sad to see this amazing bird leave SU. But there are still quite a few Russian/CIS airlines flying them. So they won't completely disappear from the scene.

Aeroflot777

akelley728

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:16 am

It's too bad that they can't re-engine these beautiful birds with PS-90As.