wolsingerjet

YEG-FRA To Be Announced.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:03 am

EAA has indicated that scheduled YEG-FRA flights will be announced.The route will be announced in the upcoming months for a spring/summer start.Apparently this is a much wanted route by the Capital region of Alberta and comes on the heels of AC adding new YEG-LHR flights.This was indicated in a EAA meeting, but when asked if this was rumored or if someone had committed to this route the latter was the response.The countdown has begun...And i am sure this thread will get very interesting.Also noticed AC's route map is showing YEG-FRA,could it be AC?
Guess what???I dont like you either...

m180up

RE: YEG-FRA To Be Announced.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:05 am

It seems logic, AC an *A member that will fly to FRA the hub of LH another *A member.
Werner from SAL

A332

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:00 am

I also hear that PK is going to be announcing 3x weekly service KHI-YEG non-stop with the 772LR...

Let's wait for the official announcement... speculation is just that.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 2):
I also hear that PK is going to be announcing 3x weekly service KHI-YEG non-stop with the 772LR...

hehe....

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Thread starter):
Also noticed AC's route map is showing YEG-FRA,could it be AC?

This was discussed in previous threads. Since YYC closed down their main runway (18-36) for renovations, a lot of long-haul YYC-Europe runs where shipped through YEG, since YYC's second largest runway is only 8000ft long, and not enough for a B763 or A333 to depart at that altitude (YYC stands at 3,600ft ASL)
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

wolsingerjet

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:23 am

So guys hows Calgary???
If this becomes a YYC VS YEG thread it will be deleted....But thanks Again!

flyb

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:00 am

Great news, looking forward to taking this routing. LHR is great, but FRA is more important to business travellers to the continent from my standpoint. If Edmonton can grasp an Asian flight that would be amazing, truly amazing. I am going to keep that on the rumour bin for now.

The other rumour I keep hearing from within the *A is Mexican to YYC and YEG as reg Sked's starting in 07.

LAXdude1023

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 2):

I have a hard times believing that. The only market that really does well with PK is NYC. YEG's a bit of a strech. However, I think YEG-FRA will do great!!!
It is what it is...

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 6):
I have a hard times believing that. The only market that really does well with PK is NYC. YEG's a bit of a strech. However, I think YEG-FRA will do great!!!

I hope you know he was kidding about PK and YEG!

Hehe.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

wolsingerjet

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:12 am

PK wont be serving YEG anytime soon,or anywhere in western Canada for that matter.It was a poke by A332 thats all.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:15 am

I've always maintained that YOW was underserved and that they deserve a non-stop to FRA, but something tells me YEG will get there first!

This being said, i doubt it will happen in time for the summer season of 2007.

AK

flyb

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:16 am

Why is this always YYC vs. YEG thing? Grow up people.

LAXdude1023

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting Thenoflyzone (Reply 7):
I hope you know he was kidding about PK and YEG!

HAHA, jokes on me this time.  Wink
It is what it is...

A332

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Flyb (Reply 10):
Why is this always YYC vs. YEG thing? Grow up people.

It's not. Nowhere did I slander YEG... I was poking fun at my pal 'wolsie' and his unofficial announcement...  

[Edited 2006-10-24 23:51:43]

flyyul

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:59 am

Wolsingerjet,

You are the source of many interesting discusisons. I would be careful on this one, considering the already sizeable increase in Alberta-Europe supply next summer with new BA + new daily YEGLHR service.

Let's review this thread in a few months time.

flyb

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:41 am

I really don't see BA being an issue with YEG, there is no easy connection on to the BA flight. People either have to make connection via a non-oneworld partner (meaning having to check in again in YYC) or having to drive to YYC which isn't worth it. Right now try booking outside the UK and you are still routed via YYC/YUL/YYZ not LHR. I am one that is 99.9% sure this flight is on its way. YEG can handle it, plus YEG doesn't have the charter schdules like YYC so tourism and Business alike will maintain a new route.

behramjee

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 2):

Let's wait for the official announcement... speculation is just that.

This will never happen trust me...as it is PAK-CAN bilateral only permit 1000 seats a week to be sold which are all used up by PIA for their 3 weekly YYZ flights.

YEG has NEVER BEEN on PIA's radar planner so who ever told u that is talking nonsense.

The only correct piece of info concerning PKs North American expansion is that LAX is NEXT!

wolsingerjet

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:23 am

WOW!!!How is this turning into a PK thread?Read more carefully before posting!

BA no threat to YEG.BA is however a threat to AC and that is why we see AC jumping into the YEG market to stop potential connections to BA and capitalize on itself.We have also seen that BA has scaled back the YYC flights slightly from 5 a week to 4,a sign of demand not being as high as planned I would assume?Also lets not forget YEG can support and has supported multiple flights to Europe before,just because AC hasnt done this in recent times because of its YYC hub does not mean it will not happen again.You seem to forget that YEG doesnt see many flights to europe not because of demand but because we are close to the AC YYC hub and AC would be the primary carrier for such flights.Initial bookings for the new YEG-LHR flights are very strong and AC has said it plans more expansion into the Edmonton market,not my words but AC's.There infact was a press release on this and if I can find it,I will post it.

Samurai 777

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 am

Behramjee, you're taking the PK thing too seriously here! Like Wolsingerjet said, read the whole thread before making comments like that. Jeez.

As for YEG-FRA, that's definitely becoming more and more believable as time goes on, what with Edmonton's strong economy and all. I suppose we'll see AC using the 767-300ER or A330 on YEG-FRA?

aircanada014

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:34 am

cool its nice to see AC continue expanding their route out west  Smile Its good passengers don't have to rely on transfer to YYZ or YVR or YYC on certain routes...

timeair

Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:54 am

Sorry, only YEG-FRA I can see is TS with their 330 non stop starting on 22May07...
You can't get there from here.

VonRichtofen

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 14):
(meaning having to check in again in YYC)

Not entirely true, AC can interline on BA. Happens more than you think. But of course, WS can't interline with anybody much to the shegrin of the kool-aid drinkers who act like WS is already in Oneworld and how they're going to hurt AC so much with their new buddy BA  Yeah sure

But with so many Aeroplan members in Canada as well as BA being only 4x weekly, they aren't that big of a threat.

Kris

[Edited 2006-10-25 05:17:20]

yegbey01

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:20 pm

well....haven't all we been waiting for the YEG-IAH annoucement???

when it's official, I will believe it!!!!

I had hoped for FRA rather than LHR myself. But the AC guys pulled LHR in response to BA's entry. And sure enough, BA downscaled right away! I like this tit for tat strategy. I think Alberta residents are going to benefit big time!

But Wolsie...I hope you are right on this one

timeair

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 20):
Not entirely true, AC can interline on BA

It is true. AC and BA have reciprocating eticketing agreements, and can in fact thru check bags as long as the connecting flights are all on the same ticket. They are not able to issue Boarding Passes on one another, as they would rather you book through to your fdest with one or the other (providing they serve that market themselves or via codesharing).

VonRichtofen

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 22):

Sorry I misread and thought you meant re-check their baggage.

Kris

timeair

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:48 pm

no problem...

Edmonchuck

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:51 pm

HMMMM, very interesting...

Samurai 777

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 19):
Sorry, only YEG-FRA I can see is TS with their 330 non stop starting on 22May07...

If you go to AC's route map on aircanada.com, you will notice that the YEG-FRA route is now showing up.

Oh, and another thing - TS's YEG-FRA flights are actually seasonal charters and I think TS has been at this for at least a few years.

connector4you

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Frankfurt again? Is it Air Canada running out of German destinations from the West Coast ? Munich anyone?

jamincan

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting Samurai 777 (Reply 26):
If you go to AC's route map on aircanada.com, you will notice that the YEG-FRA route is now showing up.

Oh, and another thing - TS's YEG-FRA flights are actually seasonal charters and I think TS has been at this for at least a few years.

AC's route map is a poor substitute for an official media release. YEG-FRA has been showing up for awhile, and before this, it was speculated to be due to the fact that AC is operating YYC-FRA as YYC-YEG-FRA during the runway work at YYC. I'm not saying it won't happen, but a route map is far from an official source.

That said, I'm kind of concerned about transatlantic operations out of Alberta. It looks like it is going to be jumping from 21x weekly to 39x weekly, which is a huge increase in capacity - almost double in fact. I know Alberta's market is hot right now, but at a certain point, growth like that isn't sustainable. I suspect there will have to be some readjustment in capacity in the future.

bastew

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 16):
We have also seen that BA has scaled back the YYC flights slightly from 5 a week to 4,a sign of demand not being as high as planned I would assume?

Hey Wolsinger, checked out the loads for 5 or 6 random BA flights to Calgary in December and January. They were sort of the reverse of what I was expecting to be honest! The premium cabins seem to be selling very well, but the WT cabin seems to be constantly showing '50+' seats available. FIRST is around two thirds full on ever flight, Club half to two thirds full on average, and same for WT+.

As long as the premium cabins continue to perform nicely the route will be profitable....even with NIL passengers down the back!

A332

Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 28):
I know Alberta's market is hot right now, but at a certain point, growth like that isn't sustainable. I suspect there will have to be some readjustment in capacity in the future.

Well, I certainly agree with this statement... but at the same time, might as well take advantage and cash in on the boom.

I'm surprised more services were not announced sooner... it's been red hot in Alberta for several years.

yow

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:29 am

I doubt you'll see AC operating YEG-FRA any time soon for a few reasons.

1) AC just doesn't have the spare widebody capacity available.
2) Last time I heard, AC doesn't have any extra available FRA slots.
3) Daily YEG-LHR service will bring over 150,000 new seats onto the transatlantic market out of Alberta. That's a lot of new capacity to absorb.
4) As to YEG-FRA already being listed on AC's interactive route map, that map is rather weird in that they display temporary nonstop routes. I remember a couple of years ago when YQR-YUL was listed on that route map as a nonstop, even though this service lasted < 2 weeks to cater for the Grey Cup crowds that November.

So if there were to be more YEG-FRA service, I think it'd either be with LH or as a charter, TS or maybe even Condor.

A332

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 16):
We have also seen that BA has scaled back the YYC flights slightly from 5 a week to 4,a sign of demand not being as high as planned I would assume?

BA's site still shows 5x weekly service to YYC... am I missing something here?

flyb

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:56 am

That map is not acurate. It doesn't show anything new since August. YEG's routes to LAS and Mexico aren't on there, other cities like YWG's new LAS flight.

wolsingerjet

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:57 am

1.)The AC route map was not the source of this ''rumor''.
2.)AC was not the airline mentioned,no airlines name was brought up.
3.)BA is down to 4 weekly flights on the YYC-LHR route.It was also posted on this site as BA has made some schedule adjustments.
4.)There is plenty of time to announce the route as the YEG-LHR route was announced in August and it starts on Oct 31.
5.)I agree that there is alot of over capacity to the U.K in particular from Alberta.But AC has said its bookings on the LHR -YEG route are ''Astronomical''.I suspect YYC will see the loads split more evenly now among the carriers flying the services.
6.)The alberta economy is forcasted to boom for a minimum of 10 more yrs,although many say much longer is likely.A benefit to both YYC and YEG.

flyyul

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:24 am

BA is still staying 5 weekly.. confirmed by amadeus.net and expertflyer.com and ba.com

yegger

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:30 am

I always find it so amusing how threads/topics like this get so off track and misinterpreted. The KHI-YEG flight was a funny a bit of humor by someone, which was taken as being very serious by some! As for the the start of the thread:

This was indicated in a EAA meeting, but when asked if this was rumored or if someone had committed to this route the latter was the response

and,

Also noticed AC's route map is showing YEG-FRA,could it be AC?

It is very clear that this info came from an EAA meeting. Plain and simple. The reference to the AC map was simply speculation and nothing more than that. I checked the AC website and it appears that on the world map, the line from Edmonton to Europe is merely a Vancouver flight passing overhead. In fact, if you go to the AC Europe map, Edmonton isn't even on it (not even the newly announced YEG-LHR flight).

I certainly hope that this FRA flight is announced. There have been numerous discussions about how this flight can be justified, and how it can be profitable. I think the best discussion right now is about which airline will operate it? My guesses:

1) Lufthansa, continuing on to YVR, YYC, or perhaps even a US destination (that in itself opens up some interesting discussions regarding 5th freedom rights etc.). The YVR flight would be in addition to the daily Lufthansa 492/493 already operating, and the YYC option would be inaddition to the current AC 844/845.
2) AC, as an independant flight; or continuing to YYC or YVR. This could be either in addition to the current Lufthansa and AC flights to those cities. It could also be in replacement of AC 844/845, operating a FRA-YEG-YYC (and return) route instead (this is possible if AC has no more FRA slots as someone else has mentioned).
3) Condor, continuing on as in examples 1 and 2. This is possible if the airline intends to cater more to the low-middle yielding passengers, as compared to the "First/Business Class" types.

Anyway, I look forward to this, and other, new route announcements in the near future. Until then, I "won't count my chickens until the eggs hatch!"

timeair

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 am

Speaking with a German friend of mine...sounds like LT is looking at spreading its wings further into western Canada from MUC, and YEG is on their radar!

flyyul

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:15 pm

Why would LH introduce a tag to any of their north american ops? That tag could cost LH up to 15,000Euro/flight pending the distance.

It's additional cost, when they can allocate aircraft on any other route without the hassle of a tag.

sebring

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting YOW (Reply 31):
I doubt you'll see AC operating YEG-FRA any time soon for a few reasons.

1) AC just doesn't have the spare widebody capacity available.
2) Last time I heard, AC doesn't have any extra available FRA slots.
3) Daily YEG-LHR service will bring over 150,000 new seats onto the transatlantic market out of Alberta. That's a lot of new capacity to absorb.
4) As to YEG-FRA already being listed on AC's interactive route map, that map is rather weird in that they display temporary nonstop routes. I remember a couple of years ago when YQR-YUL was listed on that route map as a nonstop, even though this service lasted < 2 weeks to cater for the Grey Cup crowds that November.

So if there were to be more YEG-FRA service, I think it'd either be with LH or as a charter, TS or maybe even Condor.

AC's net addition of 777s next year will likely result in an increasing of 767 availability as some double daily 767 services are consolidated into a single 777-300ER flight.

People should also understand that AC and LH have a complete revenue sharing agreement on the North Atlantic, so to talk as if they are indepedent of each other is a little disingenuous. They will launch this route together, or not at all.

wolsingerjet

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Everyone can calm down,just sit back and see what happens.Sheesh I didn't realize that YEG getting a new flight was such a big deal.This is the same thing that happened when LHR was rumored,it was the same and now its here.Fact is EAA has someone who wants the YEG-FRA run,I asked again today and was told the same thing.TS will still have its charters next summer to FRA but this is someone new altogether.Also hear that TS will be doing YEG-LGW next year.

yow

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 40):
Also hear that TS will be doing YEG-LGW next year.

TS will simply be replacing My Travel next year for Canadian Affair.

wolsingerjet

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 41):
TS will simply be replacing My Travel next year for Canadian Affair.

Yep,they sure are...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos