CastleIsland
Topic Author

AirTran Terminal C At BOS

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 am

It's been a little while since I flew FL, and in the meantime, Massport has done away with the Terminal D designation at BOS (the International Terminal, now "E," will become "D" in the not-too-distant future), and now includes what was "D" in Terminal C. I remember that FL's gate area was nothing more than that - no amenities. So I was wondering if the change has included any post-security improvements in the FL gate vicinity, or if it's nothing more than a change in terminal designation. Thanks.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

gr8slvrflt

RE: AirTran Terminal C At BOS

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 am

The AirTran gate area has been redone. It is rather nice with a snack bar and newstand. You can still walk directly over to the Northwest/International area without exiting the secured area for more food options (although not many people know this).
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

COERJ145

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:24 am

Its pretty much the same, a Uno Pizzaria, a Hudson News, and Lavs. If you want better concessions, you can walk down the corridor near gate 1C, which leads to a cafe and to the NWA gate area of Terminal E.

COERJ145

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:32 am

CastleIsland
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:18 am

Great, thanks to you both for the info. It's good to know that the FL gate area has been done over; that section was pretty bleak.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

WMUPilot

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:02 am

Friends at the AirTran station in BOS have told me that they will be moving out of that dank dark pit that they are in now and up to the main ticketing level on the C concourse.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

RICguy

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Are they still using C11? I noticed the last time I was in Boston there was construction going on near one of their gates. I believe they were replacing the ramp. I also saw an FL jet parked at gate E3 I believe. It was on the other side of the four NW gates.

Any news on CO's move to Terminal A? I wonder if NW will join them. I know about 6 months to a year ago Massport wanted DL to make space available for other carries.

One other thing I have noticed at BOS. What is up with Cape Air and their operation? I am not a pilot, just an airline geek...so pardon me for asking this question. Has anyone ever noticed how fast they taxi their planes to the gate? The pilot even opens the front left window too? Is that so he/she can see? It is quite a funny sight. Is there a F/O on the flight. I thought I only saw a Captain on one of those planes.

WMUPilot

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting RICguy (Reply 6):
One other thing I have noticed at BOS. What is up with Cape Air and their operation? I am not a pilot, just an airline geek...so pardon me for asking this question. Has anyone ever noticed how fast they taxi their planes to the gate? The pilot even opens the front left window too? Is that so he/she can see? It is quite a funny sight. Is there a F/O on the flight. I thought I only saw a Captain on one of those planes.

They almost taxi as fast as Southwest does! As far as the window being open, that is for cooling the cockpit and cabin down as the prop generates a great deal of wash which really helps coll things down. I'm pretty sure that they use a captain and an f/o, don't quote me on it but i'm pretty sure that they do.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

travatl

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:32 pm

Wmupilot is right. AirTran will be moving to 4 gates and a new ticket counter in the C Terminal. 2 gates will be retained in the old area to be used as overflow/ron parking, and/or charters....

eastbay

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Cape Air uses one pilot; the aircraft only seats nine so that's all that's required.

RICguy

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Okay, thanks for the response. That makes sense about the cooling off the cabin. It was back in mid September and it was very hot that day. I would think they Cape Air has to use a F/O on their flights. Years ago, when I worked for United Feeder Service d/b/a United Express in FWA, they worked the ramp for Midway Connection. They flew SWMs out of MDW to FWA and I recall one of our gate agents saying that they only required one pilot if the other was ill or unable to fly? I thought that she was incorrect, but you things were VERY different before 9/11.