vikinga346

Airline Jobs/ Aircraft Dispatch/ Post College Grad

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 pm

Hey All,

I have read many of the archived posts about airline jobs - here is my deal.

I'm finishing University in the Spring and am really interested in getting a job with the airlines. I have always wanted to be a pilot but am concerned that my vision (which cannot be corrected to 20/20) is going to get in the way. I am therefore looking at my options. I did some research and Aircraft dispatch caught my eye. Since I am interested in a position with authority and responsibility, I figure this might be a good job for me.

Can anybody with some background in this field comment? What kind of opportunities are there for entry level positions in this field? Also, I am a world traveller and have been since I could stand - I WANT TO TRAVEL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE - so any job with travel benefits (Cheap flights!!) would be more important to me than 10k more a year for example.

Any insight would be very helpful. I need to know where to start.. Who do I contact, what do I do, anything....

Cheers!!
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

FutureFO

RE: Airline Jobs/ Aircraft Dispatch/ Post College Grad

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:06 pm

I don't know about Oz but in the US you need to be certified by the FAA as a dispatcher. So just check with the CAA and see if you need a certification to dispatch.
I Don't know where I am anymore

mjlhou

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:41 pm

Just my added 2  twocents ........

Most Airlines in the US will not directly hire dispatchers without some kind of previous airline experience, aside from requiring that you have the FAA certification mentioned above. That being said, your best option is to just get in with an airline at some level and then while gaining some work experience with that airline, get your certificate and then after some time apply for the dipatching position. This business is a tough business to get into, but once you're in, it's a very different and fantastic world. Good luck to you!

Cheers

MJL  bigthumbsup 
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

cy319

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:13 am

I have just done an MSC in Air Transport Management. I also have a BA in Business Management and I speak 4 languages.
So,I applied for more than 40 jobs and all i could get is customer service advisor @ thomson (holidays). It seems that aviation is the only industry that education is not appreciated. All they ask for is experience....for all kind of positions
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?