Humberside
Topic Author

Northern England Charter Reductions

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm

The past weeks have seen a dramatic reduction in charter capacity for next summer announced in Northern England. Some of this has been covered elsewhere before but I thought I'd put it al in one thread so you can see how dramatic the reduction are

Firstly Excel are a pulling out of HUY. They had planned to have an all week base next summer. Its a bit unclear why they have pulled out of HUY - it appears to be either due to a restructuring within Excel (consolidating on larger bases) or due to a number of diversions this summer and the lack of cat 3. They may operate some flights next summer into HUY on w patterns

ThomsonFly are pulling their MME base. This too was summer only. I think TOM missed a good oppurtunity to set up a LoCo base at MME when bmi baby pulled out. They will continue to operate w patterns into MME

TOM are also pulling their LBA base which was year round, though not all week in winter). They will still operate w patterns into LBA next summer, although their winter sun 2007/08 destinations released today are pathetic, only ALC and TFS

Finally AEU are also pulling out of LBA for unknown reasons. Most flights were on behalf on Airtours/MyTravel and they replaced MYT's summer only LBA base a couple of years ago. This will leave LBA with no based charter airline next summer, although there is talk of a replacement. AEU will continue to operate some LBA flights by positioning aircraft in from elsewhere

As far as the TOM cuts go it appears they are focusing on larger bases - NCL, DSA and MAN
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

CKT789

RE: Northern England Charter Reductions

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:06 pm

The cuts at MME from TOM and WW have been offset by the flights announced by GSM for next year:

Alicante
Faro
Malaga
Palma
Tenerife South

Jamie.

bwaflyer

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 pm

AEU base at Leeds is a summer only base, and as last year closes down at the end of October as planned. I know the base is under review for next summer with a possible upgrade of equipment, but there's nothing definite at the moment.

Humberside
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting CKT789 (Reply 1):
The cuts at MME from TOM and WW have been offset by the flights announced by GSM for next year

Overall capacity will be down as three based aircraft (2 WW, 1 TOM) will be replaced by one based aircraft (GSM) plus some flights from aircraft based elsewhere

More on the larger MME situation - MME Update (by Humberside Oct 26 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting Bwaflyer (Reply 2):
AEU base at Leeds is a summer only base, and as last year closes down at the end of October as planned. I know the base is under review for next summer with a possible upgrade of equipment, but there's nothing definite at the moment.

It has been posted on the lba spotters forum that crews have been informed thebase will close next week and not reopen next summer

However there is apparently a replacement airline lined up to base at LBA

Humberside
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:57 am

The latest talk is that bmi will base an A320 at LBA to replace AEU next summer