Rick
Topic Author

No Slots For Delta!

Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:09 pm

I read in the Washington Post this morning that there were 24 new slots awarded at Regan National (DCA) for flights beyond the traditional 1,250 mile limit. Among the big winners: America West with 2 new round trip flights to it's Phoenix base, 1 round trip flight to Las Vegas, and several other slots. The paper went on to state that John McCain (R-Ariz.) claims he had no influence in the approval of the slots, eventhough he has waged a 2-year campain to get more slots at National Airport beyond the 1,250 mile limit. It is very odd that DELTA Airlines did not even get 1 slot according to the paper. I was sure they would get a slot or two going to Salt Lake City. All of this information I got out of that newspaper, does anyone else have any further insight into this? How in the world was Delta left out?

RE: No Slots For Delta!

Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:29 pm

John McCain probably had some influence over this, b/c if tou look at the slot breakdown, AWA, a Phoenix headquartered airline, gets 3 of the six slots(2 PHX, 1 LAS). In addition, nat'l got 1(LAS), TWA got one(LAX), and Frontier got one(DEN).
The slots are to have gone to more start-up carriers, and carriers needing help. That is probably why Delta didn't getr any.

367-80

Nor For AA And UA

Thu Jul 06, 2000 10:33 pm

I noticed that American and United failed to win any slots as well. The winners appeared to be the little guys: ATA, Frontier, America West, TWA (unfortunately now a small fry) and Midwest Express.

This appears to be an attempt to by the DOT to help the smaller carriers compete with the big three--or at least to gain some market share and size to eventually take the big three on head to head. It remains to be seen, however, if dividing so few slots among so many airlines will allow them to create competitive service, or will be too little to take on the giants. I'm sure FL and TW, for instance, would prefer more than a single daily frequency.

David Earnest
Arlington, VA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos