Strange Approaches To DCA Today

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:40 am

We've seen some very strange (at least to me) approaches to DCA this afternoon (Friday).

Some of the planes are going well south of the Potomac, and flying quite low over Rosslyn (just west of DC across the river). A few have gone south of the twin towers at low altitudes, which is very unusual.

Another plane (sorry, no ID) came in very low and had to go around. I don't know if the low altitude had anything to do with going around.

Most of the people in the office are nervous about it. I've told them everything will be ok, but I think they're about ready to stage a mass exodous.
Flying Colors Forever!

RE: Strange Approaches To DCA Today

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:54 am

a couple of possibilities, mostly attributed to the south ops in poor weather...

1) approaches to rwy 15 (i saw a couple come in straight in without the normal curved path over the river) - this could explain the aircraft passing south of rosslyn

2) vor/dme rwy 19 approach (often used in south ops with fog/low ceilings), which has an approach path more in line with the runway heading

the go-around could be attributed to not having a visual on the runway at the decision height/final runway heading turn.