SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Last Flight: SJC-NRT AA Boeing 777 Video...

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:31 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2559793675772704731&hl=en

here it is,,the final tribute to the American Airline employees, who flew the final flight to Tokyo, Japan on October 27th, 2006 from San Jose International Airport. It's hard to believe the flight started about 15years ago,,,(it can't be that long- my gosh)...starting with the DC-10-30 model in 1991..and then the MD-11's, and as of 1999 - the Boeing 777 service. As a long time airline photographer at SJC, there was nothing better waiting for the big American Airline 'Heavy's' smokin' onto 30L or 12R at SJC..I will truly miss this airport action, but most of all, a big "thank you" to all of the AA employees, past and present, who made this flight seem so easy....this flight didn't go, without the dedicated employees of American Airlines......all of you, ........made it happen!

SJC Alien

VivaGunners

RE: Last Flight: SJC-NRT AA Boeing 777 Video...

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:39 am

It must be very sad indeed for all the SJC spotters to see it go.
Was the flight performing that badly? It is quite strange AA decided to drop it after 15 years.
Any ideas for a signature?

mikesairways

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:05 am

Thanks for posting this - I wanted to make it out there yesterday but was stuck at work. It definitely is sad to see what is left of our airport in terms of flights.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:07 am

I flew up from SAN yesterday. Not specifically to see this...would have been nice but I decided to come up later in the evening. The last AA 777 at SJC took off this morning. Ferry flight I believe. I didn't even make it to the airport for that. Damn.

I did get to take a full tour of the AA 777, inside and out, when I worked at SJC. I'll never forget that. Massive bird... Sad day for SJC.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting SJC-Alien" class=quote target=_blank>SJC-Alien (Thread starter):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2559793675772704731&hl=en

here it is,,the final tribute to the American Airline employees, who flew the final flight to Tokyo, Japan on October 27th, 2006 from San Jose International Airport. It's hard to believe the flight started about 15years ago,,,(it can't be that long- my gosh)...starting with the DC-10-30 model in 1991..and then the MD-11's, and as of 1999 - the Boeing 777 service. As a long time airline photographer at SJC, there was nothing better waiting for the big American Airline 'Heavy's' smokin' onto 30L or 12R at SJC..I will truly miss this airport action, but most of all, a big "thank you" to all of the AA employees, past and present, who made this flight seem so easy....this flight didn't go, without the dedicated employees of American Airlines......all of you, ........made it happen!

SJC Alien

I saw the rotation yesterday..I was parked a littl bit off of Scott St....saw it fly right over my car.. biggrin 

Quoting VivaGunners (Reply 1):
It must be very sad indeed for all the SJC spotters to see it go.

Indeed it is. Sad

Quoting VivaGunners (Reply 1):
Was the flight performing that badly?

Yah..unfortunately, it lost between $14-$15million last year..

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):
The last AA 777 at SJC took off this morning. Ferry flight I believe.

I saw the arrival today from NRT, as well as the departure to DFW (yes it was a ferry flight-AA Flight# 2222)....

Man..did that plane rotate EARLY....!! I've got some photos of it which I will be posting up in a few days...just amazing (I heard it was a full flight as AA was giving a special fare which included a free flight back from DFW..that is what I heard...I'll try to find out more about this later)

Today is a sad day in SJC history...no more 777's here... Sad  Sad
"Up the Irons!"

UAL747

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:40 am

From the Video, the new terminal at SJC looks nice. I had the god awful pleasure (yeah right) of going through the customs "shack" back in 1999 coming in from NRT. It was like getting out of an awesome plane and going through the ghetttttto.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 5):
From the Video, the new terminal at SJC looks nice. I had the god awful pleasure (yeah right) of going through the customs "shack" back in 1999 coming in from NRT. It was like getting out of an awesome plane and going through the ghetttttto.

UAL

Lol..the A-terminal is nice..small but easy to deal with..the beauty was right after security, the gate for the NRT flight was a minute or so walk...such an easy airport to deal with..ther are some on A.net who don't fancy SJC..
"Up the Irons!"

deltagator

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 am

I meant to ask a question about this flight so this thread is timely. Did they make a stop for fuel somewhere? The runway in SJC just doesn't seem long enough to handle a fully loaded 777.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

mikesairways

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
The runway in SJC just doesn't seem long enough to handle a fully loaded 777.

The runways 30R/L are both 11000 feet - plenty long. Ironically, the runways were originally extended for this particular flight as well as many of the terminal improvements were made for AA for their ever so abandonded hub.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 8):
The runways 30R/L are both 11000 feet - plenty long. Ironically, the runways were originally extended for this particular flight as well as many of the terminal improvements were made for AA for their ever so abandonded hub.

AA has tried quite a bit to make SJC into a large hub..but with the .dotbomb crash a few years ago, and all the other external problems/situations, it was difficult for AA to justify a flight which lost over $14 million in one year......right now, the market doesn't dictate AA expand @ SJC and AA is better off using its equipment elsewhere for greater returns

It might take a few years, but once all the carriers stablise (if they ever do), AA could once again work on expanding SJC.....AA/MQ are still the 2nd largerst carrier out of SJC after WN..and after having spotting there countless amounts of time, AA/MQ has a nice base of operations there..

Interestingly enough, if one looks at AA's website under the fleet section, the 777 is a photo from SJC..
(I wish it was mine)

http://www.aa.com/content/aboutUs/ourPlanes/boeing777.jhtml

edit: the reg# was: N759AN (I will be posting a photo soon)

[Edited 2006-10-29 00:44:00]
"Up the Irons!"

deltagator

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 8):
The runways 30R/L are both 11000 feet - plenty long.

Indeed they are. They just don't look that long to me when I see them. Thanks for the info that I was too sluggish to go look up. I think I was thinking about SNA's runwys instead which led me to think they were shorter.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

jetBlueNYFL

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 am

My friend flew on the inaugural 15 years ago...wow does time go fast!

What's the main reason for this flight being discontinued?
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 11):

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 9):
it was difficult for AA to justify a flight which lost over $14 million in one year.
"Up the Irons!"

Wsan581

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 11):
My friend flew on the inaugural 15 years ago...wow does time go fast!

It was just not profitable...as mentioned above it was loosing about 15 million a year.

Where will AA relocate this 777?
Blue Skies Ahead!!

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Wsan581 (Reply 13):
Where will AA relocate this 777?

There were a few listed here on A.net..I think South America will see a 777(but don't quote me on that..)..also, if AA wins the China route, then it will probably be deployed there...
"Up the Irons!"

Wsan581

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 14):
if AA wins the China route, then it will probably be deployed there...

I sure hope AA wins the slot to China...Thanks.
Blue Skies Ahead!!

SJCRRPAX

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:54 am

Hey thanks Alien!! I wonder if when they say they were losing $15M if what they really mean is they would make $15M more by moving the flight to a different route. I had in the past talked to a couple of FA's for the flight that told me the flight was generally fairly full. I guess we can still watch the FedEx planes take off, that's about the next fun thing to do a SJC.

kanebear

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:25 pm

Not a direct indicator but a fairly good one: The loads were often weak. SJC-NRT regularly had C (business upgarde) inventory as well as D and I class, when the ORD, JFK, LAX and DFW flights wouldn't even have D (discount biz) available!!

jkarp2112

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:40 pm

If they could move the route to SJC-TPE-MAA/BLR/HYD they might have done well. With the "Off-Shore Development" model for tech companies in Silicon Valley myself and many others find themselves driving 45-60 minutes to SFO 4-6 times per year to catch a flight on CI/BR/SQ/UA/Others to India (or Taiwan if it's notebook PC related). Maybe a daily wouldn't work but if they offered a flat seat in J, a decent C seat, and finally came around with some sort of Econ Plus it might have worked. Here's the break down of who you would see in each class: J=Chief Level Execs, C=VP's, Econ Plus=Directors/Managers, Y=Everyone else. Of course it's too late now with Connexion folding, but if you threw in Internet Access it could have been the Asia version of the Nerd Bird.

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting Jkarp2112 (Reply 18):
If they could move the route to SJC-TPE-MAA/BLR/HYD they might have done well. With the "Off-Shore Development" model for tech companies in Silicon Valley myself and many others find themselves driving 45-60 minutes to SFO 4-6 times per year to catch a flight on CI/BR/SQ/UA/Others to India (or Taiwan if it's notebook PC related). Maybe a daily wouldn't work but if they offered a flat seat in J, a decent C seat, and finally came around with some sort of Econ Plus it might have worked. Here's the break down of who you would see in each class: J=Chief Level Execs, C=VP's, Econ Plus=Directors/Managers, Y=Everyone else. Of course it's too late now with Connexion folding, but if you threw in Internet Access it could have been the Asia version of the Nerd Bird.

With SJC-TPE already doing well, this might have potentially worked....of course, the -200LR would have worked better...also, I don't know what rights AA has out of TPE

That being said, if AA gets some 787's, I think it could make the route potentially profitable....

Whatever carriers comes to The Bay Area first will clean house..there is no direct service to India, and The Bay Area has a huge Indian population...especially places like Sunnyvale, Fremont, San Jose, etc....
"Up the Irons!"

sjcfly

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm

A sad day for SJC. Just a few years ago SJC was a mini hub for AA with direct flights to JFK, BOS, PHX, DIA and more flights to ORD and DFW for connections. AA even had direct flights to TPE, Paris and Maui.The NRT flight made more sense then as passangers had more options for connections. So AA management kind of made this cancellation a forgone conclusion but cutting all their flights.

Now SJC is just a shell of the good old days and losing flights as they now finally upgrade the airport. What lousy timing but at least SJC will be better set up when the number of flights start growing again, maybe even AA will beef up there again.

I traveled on the SJC/NRT flight regularly, even had my first 777 go around at SJC as a RENO AIR plane did not clear the runway in time. Now I will have to go out of SFO (JAL) or LA (AA) if I want to get miles. I flew the SJC/NRT flight a few weeks ago and on my return, head count was less than 60! Sad day as it was always great to see that silver 777!

ASMVPGOLD

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Sad to see this flight go. I have taken it many times and it was always a wonderful trip. I much prefered going do to SJC and taking AA (after they droped SEA-NRT) vs. UA SEA-NRT. So long AA777... i will miss seeing you at SJC.
721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,741/2/3/4,752/3,762/3/4,772,DC9/30/50/80/90,DC10,MD11,L1011,F100,319,320,332,CRJ,ERJ,DH8/2/4

aal0616

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:06 pm

Thank you for posting the video of yeterday's final flight AAL 129, and ship 759. I had forgotten that October 27 was the last day and was busy traveling in another direction yesterday, so it was nice to catch your video. It has been a great 15 year run at San Jose and many are very disappointed to see the Tokyo service withdrawn. It will be interesting to see if, when or how the open slot at Narita is handled or filled. For now, the Dallas, Chicago and New York trips remain to Japan, and the San Jose bird redeploys to the east and south like Seattle did. San Jose will be missed.

jacobin777

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 22):
For now, the Dallas, Chicago and New York trips remain to Japan,

add LAX... Wink

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 22):
San Jose will be missed.

I agree... Sad
"Up the Irons!"

laca773

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Sad day indeed. I remember when I was still at SJSU before transfering to USF, the inagural flight to NRT from SJC. There was much warranted fan fare over it, and the chaos over having to stop in OAK to complete fueling as the MD-11 had severely disappointing performance issues, so until they could get SJC to extend the runway further, they brought the D10-30 in.

I haven't flown into SJC in a long time, have they finally started to upgrade the airport build a new terminal, etc.? It so needs it. It's ancient like BUR.

Any hopes of F9 expanding more?

LACA773

UAL777UK

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:24 pm

Nice Video, thanks for posting it.

deecee8

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:13 pm

Where were the Flight Crews based that staffed this flight ?? Does anyone know ? Does AA have a SJC base ?

DTWAGENT

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 pm

Sad sight to see. Where will this aircraft be station at now? In LAX or DFW or JFK?

Chuck

SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:07 am

Many thanks to all of you who responded about the video..and with a wealth of information I must add. SJC is finally starting to build the middle terminal after a years delay, so we'll hafta wait to see how this pan's out for the rest of the airlines..I don't see anything big, other than finally getting upgraded services for the flying public....air bridges and the like,,,but I have always liked the SJC old terminal C..a classic and easy to use. It will be torn down after the midddle terminal is built.

As far as another carrier running the Pacific from SJC, I don't see it soon....maybe they'll surprise me, but whoever tries it, won't do well unless the economy picks up here, no matter what the news media is telling us...the TPE and CDG flights didn't last long..and after 9/11...it hasn't been the same at SJC.

I used to go inside and check the passenger loads off loading and loading - interested in who was flying also,(families vs business types) but after the terminals were closed to the flying public only, I lost interest. But over all, I like to watch planes take off and land, and have a great interest in the airlines. Many thanks to all for all of your responses,,,like, I didn't know a 777 did a 'go-around' years ago,,,,dang, missed that one on film.!!

enjoy your day

SJC Alien

jacobin777

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting SJC-Alien" class=quote target=_blank>SJC-Alien (Reply 28):
Many thanks to all of you who responded about the video..and with a wealth of information I must add. SJC is finally starting to build the middle terminal after a years delay, so we'll hafta wait to see how this pan's out for the rest of the airlines..I don't see anything big, other than finally getting upgraded services for the flying public....air bridges and the like,,,but I have always liked the SJC old terminal C..a classic and easy to use. It will be torn down after the midddle terminal is built.

And they are going to close the observation deck too.. ..

There are people who are trying to get SJC managment to have another observation deck, as it is used quite a bit..not just by us spotters, but by people in general....

edit: here is a photo I took on arrival of flight #129 from NRT yesterday...I'll be posting the departure to DFW in a few days..

[Edited 2006-10-29 17:45:43]
"Up the Irons!"

sjcfly

Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:05 am

I forgot to thank SJC-Alien for posting the video and his comments. A follow up to my go- around with on the 777 at SJC, I knew one of the flight attendants on the Reno Air flight that caused the go- around..It was a real kick to hear the engines throttle up and we had a running joke for a while about her trying to delay my incoming flights..

SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:26 am

Thanks SJCfly - I knew a few people that worked the QQ counter back then- all very nice people. That would have been a great running joke.  Smile

I went in and videotaped the last counter and ticket gate action on the last flight from SJC of Reno Air- to Reno,NV from SJC, with an MD-87. I still have the video - they escorted me to the ramp and I was able to get photos & video of the final terminal crew by the jetway, then down to the push back send off on the ramp, cabin photos of the last QQ 5 person Crew out of SJC-(it's posted on Ben Wangs excellent RenoAir collection page) and take off (though 9pm..a bit dark) and ....I may post it - but I have also been working a "best of" all of my videos I've filmed the last 25years-(make it into a 3 set DVD collection when I get my act together-)....We tried to get any RenoAir stuff we could carry out of the terminal, but the AA boyz were nervous about us walking out with Reno Air collectibles,,,so not to jeapordize anybody - I left it there....Grrr.

I also witnessed a MD-11 make an AA MD-80 on a 3 mile final go around -mid-90's- I was atop our building downtown SJC photographing jets on final at lunch one day, and the MD-11 didn't launch...the MD-80 executed a perfect go around....it doesn't happen that often...but fun to watch. I can just here the 'kidding' that goes on in the ready room......................thanks to all!

SJC Alien

SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 9):

not being mean, jacobin777...isn't that an LAX photo ...maybe? No mountains like that east of SJC,,other than the coast range which aren't too tall. That looks like an LAX Imperial Hill shot looking NNE towards the San Gabriels.

Alien

centrair

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:48 am

SJC-Alien. Thanks for the video. No cannon? How about in NRT? Is SJC still a hub then or a focus city for AA?

So I have to ask...What is AA's Asian Gateway? Seems like they were trying to get SJC to work as a gateway but it didn't quite catch. Is it LAX, DFW, or ORD?

Hope AA can rebuild a good dedicated Asian Gateway someday hopefully it is SJC.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

bdl2stl2pvg

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm

Does AA still retain one of the precious slots at NRT to use as it sees fit? I know that HNL-NRT was heavily rumored a year or so ago, but I have not seen anything elase announced to fill this slot. With the difficulties acquiring "good" arrival and especially departure times at NRT this truly seems like a waste of a key asset.

commavia

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting BDL2STL2PVG (Reply 34):
Does AA still retain one of the precious slots at NRT to use as it sees fit? I know that HNL-NRT was heavily rumored a year or so ago, but I have not seen anything elase announced to fill this slot. With the difficulties acquiring "good" arrival and especially departure times at NRT this truly seems like a waste of a key asset.

Indeed, it does seem like a waste of resource, as I believe AA is, indeed, relinquishing the slot back to the Narita Airport authorities. HNL-NRT was more than rumored; in fact, AA applied for and received approval from the U.S. DoT to fly on the route, but for more than a year could not get slots. Now, it appears that AA has the perfectly-timed slots it was looking for but now no longer wants to fly the route because of a softening U.S.-Japan market.

It seems like a stupid long-term decision because, as you rightly say, Narita slots at peak times for the U.S.-Japan schedules are next to impossible to get hands on. While I understand that AA wants to use the single 777 it now deploys on SJC-NRT elswhere where it can be more profitable, but the slot could be held with a 767 flying HNL-NRT.

Just my $.02.

tundra767

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I saw the flight land. Little did I know this was the last flight.

SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:29 pm

CENTRair- nope, no water cannon......(didn't think they would...the tower even tried to impart some 'memories' during radio talk, but the talk back was "strictly" professional from the AA boyz..............)

But,..I really have no clue what they are going to do with the NRT slot..the SJC Officials made it sound in the local newspaper article, that there were 'other airline' options, but I don't see it. I have no idea if AA kept the slot....but the HNL-NRT seems like nothing now..seems like they are wasting it to me, also.......Something I thought I'd never see and be happy about, is an AA MD-80 on final to SJC....but seems like now, that is all we're going to get.........sheesh!

Tundra'67 - if saturday, that was the last AA 128 Heavy into SJC..!!

SJC Alien

bdl2stl2pvg

Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 35):
Indeed, it does seem like a waste of resource, as I believe AA is, indeed, relinquishing the slot back to the Narita Airport authorities.

It seems like a stupid long-term decision because, as you rightly say, Narita slots at peak times for the U.S.-Japan schedules are next to impossible to get hands on. While I understand that AA wants to use the single 777 it now deploys on SJC-NRT elswhere where it can be more profitable, but the slot could be held with a 767 flying HNL-NRT.

Regarding that, AA could use a 763 for the HNL run as previously planned or even to add a 2nd daily to/from LAX. For that matter, if the SJC-NRT was unprofitable with a 777, could it have been profitable running a 763? The 763 should have the legs for it as NW runs the 333 SFO-NRT and AC runs a 763 YVR-PVG. If there is a route that could even be marginally profitable it seems as if it would be a prudent hedge if the market indeed strengthens in the future, if not, dump it then.

commavia

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting BDL2STL2PVG (Reply 38):
Regarding that, AA could use a 763 for the HNL run as previously planned or even to add a 2nd daily to/from LAX.

The original plan was to route a 763 from LAX through HNL to NRT. The plane would fly LAX-HNL at night, RON at HNL, fly out to NRT the next morning arriving the afternoon next day, departing NRT that afternoon, arriving in HNL early the same morning, and leaving back to LAX as the morning HNL-LAX departure. That is why AA launched the morning HNL-LAX flight, which is still operating.

LAX would not get a second flight, as the route is already weak to begin with. Flooding the route with even more capacity would not be helpful.

For that matter, if the SJC-NRT was unprofitable with a 777, could it have been profitable running a 763? The 763 should have the legs for it as NW runs the 333 SFO-NRT and AC runs a 763 YVR-PVG.

But how to get a 767 to SJC in order to get it to NRT? The cost of flying a 767 from somewhere (most likely DFW) to SJC would likely destroy any profitability on the SJC-NRT route.

jacobin777

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting SJC-Alien" class=quote target=_blank>SJC-Alien (Reply 32):
not being mean, jacobin777...isn't that an LAX photo ...maybe? No mountains like that east of SJC,,other than the coast range which aren't too tall. That looks like an LAX Imperial Hill shot looking NNE towards the San Gabriels.

Hmmm..interesting.. scratchchin ..I was discussing that with a local spotter..that is why I came up with my comment..I guess its something which will have to be looked into more....

Quoting SJC-Alien" class=quote target=_blank>SJC-Alien (Reply 37):
about, is an AA MD-80 on final to SJC....but seems like now, that is all we're going to get.........sheesh!

Don't forget, SJC is going to have the return of the "Nerd Bird 757" soon..

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

NW runs the 333 SFO-NRT

Actually, NW runs the A330-200 on that route... Wink

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

Quoting Commavia (Reply 39):

LAX would not get a second flight, as the route is already weak to begin with. Flooding the route with even more capacity would not be helpful.

I heard that LAX-NRT is doing ok...while I'm sure its not strong enough to see a "daily-double"...its strong enough to keep the flight going...I would be a bit surprised if it was cut...
"Up the Irons!"

legacyins

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:10 am

To supply some numbers for the last inbound/outbound flight(s)

On 10/27: AA 129 had 170 PAXS Outbound.
On 10/28: AA 128 had 228 PAXS Inbound.

A side note, CBP will no longer station full time officers at SJC. The officers will be assigned from SFO.

jacobin777

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:26 am

Now here is something funny...

"Last week, Frontier Airlines announced that it has applied to the Department of Transportation to begin service from San Jose to Cabo San Lucas four times a week in March. Bill Sherry, the airport's director of aviation, said he is also in talks with three other carriers on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific routes, including Tokyo."

Lets see.. scratchchin ..

AA lost $15 million last year and ended 15 years of service to NRT..now who in their right mind is going to start SJC-NRT service again?

However, this sounds optimistic..

"''But it's my hope that if we're able to secure those routes, service will be announced by the end of the calendar year.''"

Plus..I like this too..

"Although American Airlines has made no firm promise to increase its business in San Jose, Sherry(Bill Sherry, the airport's director of aviation) said, ''They have told me this is the end of the decline. They've now gotten it down to where they are going to hold it.''"

full article at..

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...the_valley/15883749.htm?source=rss

There is always hope...the article has stated that SJC is an important location for AA..so hopefully if market conditions allows, AA will again expand @ SJC....I certainly hope so!!!

Transpacific service would probably mean either an A330 or a 777....oooh..to see another 777 @ SJC.. cloudnine ...

Cheers..
"Up the Irons!"

SJC-Alien
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:24 am

..........Thanks Jacobin777 - I saw that article too.....but being a 'jaded' SJC watcher,,,,I'll hafta wait and see. I agree with you, AA lost big bucks or they wouldn't have cancelled the flight. Whomever tries something similar...will probably fail....I don't see it, in the bad economy that I see around here,....and I DO NOT believe the 'Rosy' picture the media portrays in Silicon Valley....I feel we're in for tough times at SJC for awhile.

Alien

jacobin777

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting SJC-Alien" class=quote target=_blank>SJC-Alien (Reply 43):
.....Thanks Jacobin777 - I saw that article too.....but being a 'jaded' SJC watcher,,,,I'll hafta wait and see. I agree with you, AA lost big bucks or they wouldn't have cancelled the flight. Whomever tries something similar...will probably fail....I don't see it, in the bad economy that I see around here,....and I DO NOT believe the 'Rosy' picture the media portrays in Silicon Valley....I feel we're in for tough times at SJC for awhile.

Yah...I think I'll wait until I hear an "official" announcement before I believe anything...

IF AA couldn't make NRT work, besides UA who else can (and they run too much operations out of SFO anyway)? Bottom line...NRT just isn't going to work.. no 

Yah..Silicon Valley isn't rosy either......however, while Silicon Valley will never be what it once for for generations to come, it's not doing all that bad..it certainly is better than 2002, when it got REAL bad..

The biggest problem is not salary (believe it or not), its very high taxes on corporations..(thanks Silicon Valley politicians...morons)..it just not cost competitive to keep offices in the Valley (hence, why Intel moved some operations up to Oregon).....

I agree...until The local economy picks up, I'm afraid SJC will be a 2nd-tiered airport for a while..
"Up the Irons!"

bdl2stl2pvg

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 40):
Actually, NW runs the A330-200 on that route...

Yes, my bad, how well I know that. We were on the 332 on NW 027 in August and NRT had rain showers. Our hold consisted of exactly one rotation and then a diversion to Niigata. By the time we and the other 332s (SEA, PDX) refueled and returned to NRT all of the 744s had left or pushed back and we were stuck for the overnight. Several hundred unhappy campers with only 4 ticket agents to assist. At least on that day the 332s seemed to have very little endurance for a holding patterns after their hops from the West coast.

jacobin777

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting BDL2STL2PVG (Reply 45):
At least on that day the 332s seemed to have very little endurance for a holding patterns after their hops from the West coast.

West Coast Asia with either an A332 or B767 (not that there are any 767 flights to Asia from SFO).. is a bit pushing it....
"Up the Irons!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos