ual757

AS Finally Starts SEA-CUN Flights!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 am

YAY! I've been waiting a long time for this to happen! I knew AS would fly this route, and now they are!

(When reading the article, look for something about Hawaii)  Wink

http://www.king5.com/business/storie...706TRBalaskamexicoKC.7eb35054.html

Quote:
Alaska Airlines expands Mexico flights

Friday, October 27, 2006

By GLENN FARLEY / KING 5 News

SEATTLE -- Alaska Airlines, the dominant airline connecting the U.S. West Coast to Mexico, has added more flights to south of the border

Early Friday morning, the sound of a Mariachi band provided the background for a send-off -- the first nonstop flight between Seattle and Cancun, Mexico.

Alaska Airlines has been flying to Mexico for about 16 years, but now it is expanding its capacity by 22 percent.

"I think people are used to seeing the Eskimo in Mexico," said Steve Jarvis, Alaska Airlines, V.P. Sales.

While tourist destinations are still the majority of the ten Mexican cities served by Alaska Airlines, more and more business is not tourism-related, and it's not just Americans who are flying.

"Many visit friends and relatives. There's also a growing business market. And it's really changed the way we've had to look at distribution as well down in Mexico, and our Spanish-speaking capability on board and in our airports," said Jarvis.

This month, Alaska rolled out a Spanish Language version of its Web site.

And it's not just flying from Seattle. The airline will kick off new flights from Portland, Oregon to Mexico this weekend.

Alaska Airlines has been expanding for a while, including flights east to Chicago and Boston.

Now, as the airline completes the conversion of the rest of its fleet to "Next Generation" Boeing 737s, they expect to fly even farther.

Currently, the airline is seeking FAA approval for long, overwater flights.

"Obviously, Hawaii is on the list. But so are many, many others that are available to us if we have that capability," said Jarvis.

So, stay tuned.

juventus

RE: AS Finally Starts SEA-CUN Flights!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 am

That's a hell of a long flight for a NG737. They'll land with not much to spare, is that not correct??

AirTranTUS

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 1):
That's a hell of a long flight for a NG737. They'll land with not much to spare, is that not correct??

According to Great Circle Mapper it is only 2333nm, while ANC-ORD is 2473nm. It is definantly doable. They are operating the route with the 738 and it's range is close to 2900nm, it has at least an hour of reserve when leaving with full fuel.
I love ASO!

Chugach

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 am

This should be a cash-cow for AS. An AS SEA-CUN that bypasses LAX? Thank you, ma'am.
GO ROCKETS