ILSApproach

Last Avro Flight From MSP

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:38 am

XJ has ended RJ flights to and from MSP as of 10/29............but will continue from DTW til years end. I will try to post link from Mpls Tribune later today. My poor neighbor was a high senority pilot flying the BAE-146 (RJ75's to XJ) I haven't seen him to ask him what he'll be doing now.......downgrade to Saab 340 I'm sure.

Sad to see this unique aircraft go......but I can see why in light of Mesaba's current condition, it only makes sense.

Mike @ MSP

treebeard787

RE: Last Avro Flight From MSP

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:58 am

I'm glad I got to fly on the RJ-85 last year.....It was a very unique plane and I enjoyed it very much.
Allons-y!

SkyexRamper

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Ilsapproach (Thread starter):
My poor neighbor was a high senority pilot flying the BAE-146

Quoting Ilsapproach (Thread starter):
.......downgrade to Saab 340 I'm sure

I highly dought a senior captain (most likely) would take a HUGE pay cut from a 100 seat airplane down to a 34 seat bird. He is better off applying to JetBlue and Air Tran.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

thegooddoctor

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:35 am

The "BugJet" was definately my favorite RJ - spacious and unique. Also, had F - not gonna see that on a NW RJ for a long long time (if ever...).

S
The GoodDoctor

scouse

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:14 pm

About 10 or 11 years ago when I lived in the Manchester area a friend of mine worked at BAE where the RJ85 was built and he was able to get an invite for me to go to the family open day. We were guided around the factory to see the planes in all stages of build and when we got to the end there was a finished and painted RJ waiting to be delivered in NWA colours. I had never heard of NWA then and thought they may have been a small upstart somewhere in a third world country but have now been a platinum elite worldperks member for the last 2 years. I wonder if that one was the last RJ to leave the fleet.
I have travelled on all NW plane types except the RJ but I suppose from Oct 29th I have now been on all thier plane types.
Many years ago I have flown BA and Lufthansa RJ's and they were very nice flights.
Love to fly

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting Thegooddoctor (Reply 3):
Also, had F - not gonna see that on a NW RJ for a long long time (if ever...).

Umm... 76 seat aircraft at Compass? Sounds like there will be some first class there to me...

[Edited 2006-10-31 04:44:49]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

N31029

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:02 pm

Economics may be dictating the end of actual service, but, this sensational aircraft will live on in a great many hearts for years to come.

What a pleasure it was to fly. Its unusual qualities and the unique aviation experience it supplied in today's world of endless twins was unmatched fun and appeal.

It's "Regional Widebody" stature made it comfortable and spacious.

The design and look of this small jet created quite the impression as well; its four engines, mounted on the high wing, allowed it an imposing profile for such a compact package.

The sights, sounds, and sensations of this plane - and its forerunner, the BAe 146 - will be sadly missed. But not forgotten.

Blessings, N31029
John 3:16

burnsie28

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 2):
He is better off applying to JetBlue and Air Tran.

You were talking about a big pay cut... there you have it. He would still make about $64 an hour at the Avro, sure a lot less, unless he goes to the CRJ which is just a $2 pay cut, and if Mesaba gets the CRJ-900 he will probably be on that.

Quoting Thegooddoctor (Reply 3):
Also, had F - not gonna see that on a NW RJ for a long long time (if ever...).

The CRJ-900 and EMB-170's will have FC.

azjubilee

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:00 am

23 of the RJ-85s will live on wearing the tri colour of AirFrance. CityJet, the Irish subsidary partner is in the process of aquiring these fat ladies and will be flying the CityJet route map from November. They'll be totally gutted, refurbished and repainted and will come out smelling and looking like new. They will be configured with 95 seats with the euro modular business class divider thing.

It will be a sad day when the leave the fleet. It was always a sense of individuality when we rolled into airports where we were the only jumbolino in town! It was a great time flying them and will always be lucky to have done so.

AZJ

ABQopsHP

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:04 am

I was nonreving on PS years back and was supposed to be on a BAe146. They did an equip sub to DC9. Then I tried to take AW from DEN-ASE and it was full all day. Alas I will never get to fly this beauty.  Sad
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)