UA777300ER
Topic Author

BRU Officially 'Brussels Airport', New Routes

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:12 am

Surprised nobody picked up on this. I found an article on the internet by a Belgian newspaper (De Standaard) that BRU is now officially called 'Brussels Airport', bringing an end to the confusion of different names (Brussels National, Zaventem, Brussels Airport, Brussels International Airport).

The CEO also said that BRU is looking for new airlines to serve Brussels and that they're especially focusing on new long haul routes. On the moment, BRU only has flights to 9 of the 30 most popular long distance destinations in the world (they will have 10 when the BRU-DTW route starts next year). The aim is to serve 20 of those destinations within the next five years.

The link to the article can be found
here
(sorry, only in Dutch and for subscribers).

Any idea on what does 30 destinations are and which ones BRU is serving now (I'm sure JFK, EWR, ORD, IAD and ATL are in there, not sure about the others though)?

Greetz
Tom

bwest

RE: BRU Officially 'Brussels Airport', New Routes

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:15 am

I suppose Beijing is in it as well?

And for future destinations... we really need more routes to S-E Asia, SIN & HKG should be added I think.
I love my Airport Job! :)

UA777300ER
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Bwest (Reply 1):
I suppose Beijing is in it as well?

And for future destinations... we really need more routes to S-E Asia, SIN & HKG should be added I think.

Yes, I think you're right about PEK, but the frequency is pretty low. I really have my doubts about serving airports like SIN, HKG, NRT,... BRU is only about 300-400km away from major airports like CDG, AMS, FRA and LHR and getting there is pretty easy (1 hour from BRU to CDG by train). These airports have already great connections to those destinations and I don't really see a lot of demand left for pax to BRU, especially because BRU doesn't offer any great connections opportunities compared to other airports.

bwest

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:49 am

It's true that BRU is surrounded by those big airports. But does that mean this airport cannot be ambitious? BRU has a lot to offer as well. It's the gateway to the capital of Europe, which is also the town where tons of major international organisations and companies have their HQ.

You can say that CDG, LHR (and LGW), FRA and AMS are also very close to each other, yet all these airports flourish. Ofcourse, what all these companies have is something what BRU lacks: a strong homeplayer. SN / VEX is a dwarf compared to KLM, AF, BA and LH, with almost no longhaul destinations.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting UA777300ER (Thread starter):
'Brussels Airport'

My congratulations to BRU for keeping it sensible and simple, and avoiding the trend in some countries of naming airports after popstars, pirates or politicians.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

vv701

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 4):
My congratulations to BRU for keeping it sensible and simple, and avoiding the trend in some countries of naming airports after popstars, pirates or politicians.

Robin Hood was not a popstar or a politician and - if you need a ship to be a pirate - not a pirate. But then Sheffield is not in Sherwood Forest!

bwest

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:59 am

With the new name also comes a new logo:

The white lines are supposed to be contrails intersecting over Brussels against a clear blue sky.

I like the logo, it's simple, and a major improvement to the old BIAC log

(BIAC = Brussels International Airport Company, the old name of the company in charge of Brussels airport)

lumumba

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 am

Hi everybody.
Looks that the flight Mumbay Brussels Newark is going to start next summer.
Just read it in the tijd.be a local newspaper for business.
Regards

MAH4546

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:50 am

Any idea on what does 30 destinations are and which ones BRU is serving now (I'm sure JFK, EWR, ORD, IAD and ATL are in there, not sure about the others though)?

Probably includes Bangkok, Bombay, Boston, Delhi, Dubai, Los Angeles, Miami, Singapore, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
a.

tomcat

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:54 am

Quoting Lumumba (Reply 7):
Looks that the flight Mumbay Brussels Newark is going to start next summer.

Indeed, it has been anounced today by prime minister Guy Verhofstadt.

It will be a daily flight !!! Nice to hear that suddenly Brussels is worth a daily flight to Mumbay ! Thank you Jet Airways to discover this  Smile Probably the extension of the flight to NYC is helping in the equation.

Does anybody know if it will be operated in code-share with SN?

vega

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:44 am

PHL, via US Airways - starting next year (if gate access can be obtained at PHL).
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

walter747

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:54 am

BOS

filler

filller

filler
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

tomcat

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 am

which ones BRU is serving now (I'm sure JFK, EWR, ORD, IAD and ATL are in there, not sure about the others though)?

BRU has also flights to YYZ and AUH, even though I'm not sure if AUH ranks among the 30 most popular long distance destinations in the world. Besides that, BRU has of course all the SN flights to Africa: 13 destinations served by 19 flights a week, and Ethiopian is now also bringing it's share of Africa offer, which interesting for BRU if this could help them to be seen as "the" african gateway of Europe. IMO it's not yet the case since the absence of flights to austral Africa and the still weak comparison vs CDG to west Africa. But who knows, one day maybe...

sw733

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:13 pm

BRU is now officially called 'Brussels Airport'

Thats nice and simple...too bad the walk from check-in to gate is so long that the planes actually take off from Rotterdam!  Smile

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 4):

Now, if John Lennon doesn't deserve an airport...I dont know who does!  Silly

flyingfool

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Ok, here's the actual list of long haul destinations from BRU airport:

Abidjan 2x p/w SN A330
Abu Dhabi 3x p/w EY A330
Addis Ababa 3x p/w ET B767
Atlanta 7x p/w DL B767
Banjul 2x p/w SN A330
Beijing 4x p/w HU B767
Chicago 7x p/w AA B767
Chicago 7x p/w UA B767
Conakry 2 p/w SN A330
Dakar 6x p/w SN A330
Douala 3x p/w SN A330
Entebbe 3x p/w SN A330
Freetown 3x p/w SN A330
Kigali 2x p/w SN A330
Kinshasa 4x p/w SN A330
Luanda 1x p/w SN A330
Monrovia 3x p/w SN A330
Nairobi 5x p/w SN A330
New York JFK 7x p/w AA B767
New York JFK 7x p/w DL B767
Newark 7x p/w CO B767
Toronto 3x p/w EY A330
Washington 7x p/w UA B767
Yaoundé 1x p/w SN A330

Most African destinations are served in combination with another one.
Makes 24 long haul destinations out of BRU...

Regards, Flyingfool

manni

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:31 pm

Quoting Flyingfool (Reply 14):
Makes 24 long haul destinations out of BRU...

Good job. Thanks for that!

One small remark, Hewra Bora also flies between BRU and FIH.

Next year US, NW and 9W will also add BRU to her route network.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

flyingfool

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:39 pm

Thanks Manni,

I've listed the current L/H destinations...
I've made a further check and found out that Air Senegal (V7) is also flying with own equipment (B763) between BRU and DKR, can somebody confirm this?

Regards, Flyingfool

MAH4546

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Flyingfool (Reply 14):
Chicago 7x p/w UA B767

UA does not fly ORD-BRU, only AA does.
a.

UA777300ER
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
UA does not fly ORD-BRU, only AA does.

True, there's only one daily flight to Chicago, operated by AA. The only United flight from Brussels is to Washington and continues to San Francisco.

A388

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 3):
BRU has a lot to offer as well. It's the gateway to the capital of Europe

Every airport in Europe calls themselves the 'gateway to Europe'. You can access all European cities from all the current big airports such as AMS, CDG, FRA, LHR, MAD, MXP you name it. You are right in saying that BRU can be ambitious, I just highly doubt the success of BRU for playing an important role as a gateway as long as airport like AMS and CDG are there with their big alliances (KL/AF). Those airports are very hard to compete with in my opinion. The Netherlands also is known with foreign companies having their headquarters there. This all makes it difficult for BRU to compete as it is so close to AMS to give an example. Even so, everything is possible and you are right that BRU should not sit down to watch the competition grow. BRU should continue to further develop and promote themselves.

A388

sw733

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 19):
Every airport in Europe calls themselves the 'gateway to Europe'. You can access all European cities from all the current big airports such as AMS, CDG, FRA, LHR, MAD, MXP you name i

I think Bwest is specifically saying it's the Gateway to the CAPITAL of Europe, which is correct, as Brussels is the seat of the European Union, and thus the "Capital of Europe"

jsnww81

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:15 am

Good to see plans for growth at BRU. I first flew through BRU in December 2002, and the airport still felt kind of empty after the demise of Sabena. I used BRU again twice this year and things felt much busier. SNBA (or whatever they're calling themselves now  Smile ) have built up quite a nice African operation fro BRU... it was impressive to see four or five of their A330s lined up on Concourse B. It was like having Sabena back!

Quoting SW733 (Reply 13):
Thats nice and simple...too bad the walk from check-in to gate is so long that the planes actually take off from Rotterdam! Smile

Hear, hear! Arriving on Concourse B is the worst. American, United, Delta and Continental always seem to get parked at the very end of the pier, and you have to walk for what feels like miles to get to immigration. There are moving sidewalks to help speed things up, but there's nothing to look at except cream-colored walls and signs reading "Brussels - The Heart of Europe."

Here's a question... on my last trip to BRU, I noticed that one of the old terminal concourses had been demolished, and that the old "satellite" concourse looked basically abandoned. Are there plans to re-use the old terminal in the future, or will it be torn down and replaced? I took a walk through the old check-in hall and it was basically empty... the check-in desks were still there but no airlines seemed to be using them.

bwest

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 21):
it was impressive to see four or five of their A330s lined up on Concourse B. It was like having Sabena back!

As much as I would like to see that, I regret to inform you they only have 3 A330's. Though they're looking for an extra longhaul plane (at least, that's what they've been saying for over a year now).

. Are there plans to re-use the old terminal in the future, or will it be torn down and replaced? I took a walk through the old check-in hall and it was basically empty... the check-in desks were still there but no airlines seemed to be using them.

The old check-in hall is sporadically used. I suppose as when traffic grows, the old hall will see more activity.

The same thing goes for the old statellite and terminal, which are currently closed. Seeing Brussels Airport apparently wants to attract more low cost carriers, it might be worth considering refurbishing the satellite a bit and making it into a low cost terminal.

Scorpio

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:09 am

it was impressive to see four or five of their A330s lined up on Concourse B

Very impressive, especially considering they've only got three  Wink

American, United, Delta and Continental always seem to get parked at the very end of the pier,

Done for a specific reason, i.e. so they can easily 'seal off' the area. You can only enter the gate area where the US flights are if you are a passenger on one of those flights. The only way to do that is by putting those flights at the end of the pier. Any other solution would result in many people needing to move through the area to get to their gates.

8herveg

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:47 am

How comes there are so many flights to Africa from BRU? I know there is some connection as I read it somewhere, but cannot remember what it is...could someone help me out please?

bwest

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:53 am

Well, because of the ex-colony, Congo, Sabena started flying almost ever since it was created, to Africa. And with the experience they got from flying to the Congo, they also expanded to other countries of the continent. When Sabena disappeared in 2001, the African operations were started up (on a smaller scale however) by SN Brussels Airlines in 2002 or 2003.

A388

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 20):
I think Bwest is specifically saying it's the Gateway to the CAPITAL of Europe, which is correct, as Brussels is the seat of the European Union, and thus the "Capital of Europe"

Ow okay, I misread it than. Even so what difference will it make, BRU is the capital of Europe that's it. It doesn't add much more value to it. But I do agree as I said already that BRU needs to grow in order to compete and be more agressive in their marketing efforts. It also is very good how well the (air) connections to Africa are from BRU, that's something really nice.

A388 Big grin

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 am

I always liked Zaventum, like DCA-National (can't get used to saying Reagan - talk about ironic) or IAH-Intercontinental (can't get used to saying George Bush), as the airport name. Call me old school.
You can't cure stupid