Legallykev
Topic Author

Toronto Pearson Voted "Best Global Airport 2006"

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:30 am

Source: www.gtaa.com

Date of Release: Oct 30, 2006

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is pleased to announce that Toronto Pearson International Airport has been selected as the "Best Global Airport 2006" by the Institute of Transport Management (ITM).
The award is granted on the basis of the ITM’s annual aviation research program, conducted by the Institute’s research team, that sets out each year to establish which airport has demonstrated the political leadership and commitment backed by considerable investment. The findings of the institute followed an extensive research program through testimonies from users of Toronto Pearson and airports across North America and other global regions.

The ITM noted that Toronto Pearson has become a growing force within North America, and wider destinations, for its excellent facilities and customer focused attitude towards passengers. In making its decision, the ITM Awards Committee commented that Toronto Pearson’s strong management structure has enabled the airport to meet current industry demands through its high operational standards and focus on service excellence. They also praised many other facets of the GTAA’s operations and the fact that the GTAA has positioned Toronto Pearson to handle the challenges that lie ahead because of its foresight.

Commenting on receipt of the award, GTAA President and CEO John Kaldeway said: "We have established a model emulated by other airports and have set the standard for how an airport can be run. Receiving an award of this nature solidifies what we already know and proves that we are on the right path."

The ITM is an organization formed in the United Kingdom in 1977 with the express aim of providing further education and information to transport managers.

The GTAA is the operator of Toronto Pearson International Airport, one of the largest airports in North America in terms of passenger and air cargo traffic. In 2005, the airport handled nearly 30 million passengers.

jamincan

RE: Toronto Pearson Voted "Best Global Airport 2006"

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 am

??? This came out of left field.

ehho

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 am

I haven't been to the new Asian airports like HKG, BKK, ICN, KIX, but of what I've seen the new international terminal in Toronto is certainly the most ergonomical facility there is. For North-America, it must the best by really far. Well done YYZ!
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

yowza

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:54 am

Wow! I am frankly quite shocked by this assessment. I could probably name a dozen better airports without having to think about it... Still good for the GTAA I guess.

YOWza

Cessnapimp

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 am

Institute of Transport Management. Sounds like someone's tax writeoff organisation.

Have they ridden the vomit comet? (cable car)

lailaiyyz

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:57 am

They certainly make good use of their "highest landing fee" in the world.. eh?

CF188A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:02 am

how much is their landing fee?
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

MissedApproach

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
I could probably name a dozen better airports without having to think about it

Is Ottawa one of them?  Wink
They must've made some big changes at Pearson since 2000, because I found it to be an incomprehensible dive at the time, with security staff that could charitably be called curt.
Can you hear me now?

NZ748

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:08 am

This is no surprise to me.

I've been to the likes of HKG, SIN, ICN, KIX and others good airports such as DXB and SFO, but Toronto's new international terminal tops them all.

The cleanliness, large open spaces and proactively friendly staff is all very refreshing after a longhaul flight.

Well done!

NZ748
A commercial aircraft is a vehicle capable of supporting itself aerodynamically and economically at the same time.

flyyul

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:34 am

Really?

While T1 is quite nice and efficient, it cant beat the WorldGateway in Detroit.

KLMA330

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:47 am

YYZ and BEST in the same sentence sounds like some kind of a joke to me... but if that's what they're saying.....

planemaker

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 1):
This came out of left field.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
I am frankly quite shocked by this assessment.

Quoting Cessnapimp (Reply 4):
Institute of Transport Management. Sounds like someone's tax writeoff organisation.

Can't be much of an Institute. I went to their web site and they don't have any info on the GTAA's "Award"!

http://www.itmworld.com/award_archieve_listing.php?iCategoryId=81
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

jamincan

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 am

I think the thing that is surprising is that it seems to be referring more to the management of the airport and not the design. Personally, I kind of like the new terminal, but YYZ is one of the last airports I would call well managed.

kiramakora

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:00 am

I just did a transfer from the HKG AC flight to the EWR flight and can think of over 20 airports better than YYZ.

parisien

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 am

yay, i was surprised too...thinking that toronto has probably improved a lot in the last few years ? But then again, as somebody commented above the award seems to focus on management, and proactive service etc....

ricardofg

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Riding in that thing everyday is like final approach into FCO!

wowpeter

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:51 pm

Quoting Nz748 (Reply 8):
This is no surprise to me.

I've been to the likes of HKG, SIN, ICN, KIX and others good airports such as DXB and SFO, but Toronto's new international terminal tops them all.

The cleanliness, large open spaces and proactively friendly staff is all very refreshing after a longhaul flight.

Well done!

NZ748

Hum... I repect your opinion on this matter but I do have a different thought with regards to YYZ compare to HKG, ICN and DXB, etc... The new terminal at YYZ is nice but it is no where close to be superior to many airports in asia. This is my personal opinion of course and I have been to all of these airports many many times. One thing I do agree is that YYZ is probably the best airport in North America and it is built to the same standard as many Asians airport. But in order to call it the best, a lot more work needs to be done by YYZ, one of the major issues is transport to the city... Anyway, this is just my opinion...

Pete

UpperDeck79

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting Nz748 (Reply 8):

It's quite weird that you compare one terminal to whole airports and decide that the winner is the terminal when the rest of the airport can be as bad as it gets.
AY and ANA rock!

ReidYYZ

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:41 pm

Quoting CF188A (Reply 6):

Depends on a/c type, but A330 in YYZ is $10,600.00 vs. $2,000.00 in CDG.

SLCUT2777

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:45 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 1):
??? This came out of left field.

Obviously some writer who loves the NDP and their economic development policies!  laughing 

Quoting ReidYYZ (Reply 18):
Depends on a/c type, but A330 in YYZ is $10,600.00 vs. $2,000.00 in CDG.

This makes YYZ a VERY expensive airport to do business with for ANY airline. If this fee is across the board and is similar for other aircraft types including a 737, it is why your highly unlikely to see WN ever offer service to YYZ. It ranks as high or higher than the costs at MIA, SEA or DFW (DEN was also in this group until 2-3 years ago) for U.S. airports.

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 12):
I think the thing that is surprising is that it seems to be referring more to the management of the airport and not the design. Personally, I kind of like the new terminal, but YYZ is one of the last airports I would call well managed.

Both the ITM and the GTAA still live 20 years in the past when AC was a Crown Corporation owned and operated by the Federal Government of Canada.  sarcastic   rotfl 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

trekster

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 pm

I did not really like the airport when i flew there with BA.

Check was murder, not alot of shops landside, i cant recall airside as had to walk very fast to the plane (oh the joys of standby) Security was a laugh, no line i can recall, jsut people standing around with the que almost to the door.
Where does the time go???

sanjet

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting CF188A (Reply 6):

A 747 will cost $13,000 per landing in YYZ.
Will Fly For Food!

naritaflyer

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 pm

I think to say that YYZ is the best global airport in the world is a joke. Also, please see the source of the award: Institute of Transport Management? Who?
I'm getting tired of various organisations awarding some dubious awards to airlines or airports. Most of these awards brandied about by various airlines are handed out by organisations I have never heard of.

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 pm

HAHAHA. I have, and I needed a nice combination of Percoset, Dramamine and Robaxacet after I got off.. What a joke.

Guess what folks? Your AIF (Airport Improvement Fee) is going to go up, and so will the cost of landing a plane at YYZ.

This will give them even more power to up the ante.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

dgehfx

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:17 pm

How perverse!
I challenge anyone arriving for the first time into Terminal 1 to find the city bus stop. The signage is inadequate. Some elevators don't go to all floors - but there's no sign to tell you this. The escalators are not near entrance doors. There's nowhere to get information on local ground transport, you just have to wander the pavement - if you find the right level - and read signs, without a map of the city, mind you. There's a Down escalator before the security wall but not an Up escalator. Of course no passenger has ever had to return to the ticketing hall and certainly airport staff only travel one way.
The building is monochromatic white with the charm of a hockey arena. I admit there's an interesting work of art, as you pass the security wall, of stained glass people falling from the sky!
I just tried the new light rail system that runs from the long term car park to terminals 1 and 3. It felt like a corduroy road.
It's not all bad. There are lots of baggage carts - for pay - which is great for all the people who arrive already carrying Canadian currency. There's no place to acquire Canadian currency in the baggage hall, though. There's also WiFi service - also for pay.
There's no light rail transport connecting the airport with the city. This is standard at true global airports, eg. FRA, CPH, LHR, SYD, MAD, CDG.

yow

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting MissedApproach (Reply 7):
Is Ottawa one of them?

Yup.  Smile

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 9):
While T1 is quite nice and efficient, it cant beat the WorldGateway in Detroit.

I agree 100%. The WorldGateway is ultra-efficient.

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 22):
I think to say that YYZ is the best global airport in the world is a joke.

Exactly. What kind of credentials does this institute, which no one has seemingly ever heard of, have at ranking airports?

Airports Council International's (ACI) Airport Service Quality (ASQ) program is the real source for rating the world's best airports. This program asks real passengers what they think of the airport they're travelling through, on over 30 different aspects, including items such as the ambiance of the terminal building, the availability of baggage carts, walking distance, friendliness of airport/airline/security/customs staff, food & retail, value for money, parking, etc.

In 2005 Seoul-ICN was ranked the world's best airport, while Halifax-YHZ, followed by Ottawa-YOW were ranked 1 & 2 respectively amongst airports in the Americas. YVR was also ranked the 2nd most improved airport worldwide. YYZ didn't even make the top 15 in the Americas and didn't even make the top 30 worldwide...remember this is according to the passengers using the facility.

Maybe a portion of the new $20 AIF is going towards paying off someone to create artificial awards for the GTAA.

See http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/disp...nt.jsp?zn=aci&cp=1-7-46^6702_9_2__ for more details about the ASQ (formerly called AETRA) 2005 awards.

beechnut

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:41 pm

I think Terminal 1 sucks. I agree with the baggage cart issue. Utter nonsense in an airport, serving international passengers, to require Canadian coins. Also, have any of you rented a car at Terminal 1? I have. The walk from the terminal to the car rental counters from arrivals is ridiculous. First you have to go up a level, cross into the parking garage, and take an elevator down to the rental counters. Renting a car at T1 easily adds another 1/2 hour onto your journey. The wait for baggage at the carousels sucks as well. Never under 1/2 hour, and the last time, on a rapidair from Montreal, I waited longer (1 hour) for my baggage than the flight time from Montreal.

I regularly go from my home in the Eastern Townships of Quebec to Cambridge in Ontario to our head office. If I fly: need to leave home 3 hours before the flight (last time barely made it as the security line was so long). Check in. Fly to YYZ. Total, 4 hours. Get bags, rent car: total, 1 hour (to be charitable...). Drive to Cambridge: 1 hour. Total elapsed time, 6 hours. I can drive it in 7.5 hours in my nice diesel Passat on expressways, leave and come home at my leisure, and not have any of the aggravation of the airport. Or I can take the train. Leave home 2 hours in advance, 4 hours on the train, 1.5 hours to rent car and drive to destination at the other end. Flying has gone down my list as my method of last resort.

On the other hand I have used ICN regularly. What a wonderful airport that is!

yow

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting BeechNut (Reply 26):
Check in. Fly to YYZ. Total, 4 hours. Get bags, rent car: total, 1 hour (to be charitable...). Drive to Cambridge: 1 hour.

BeechNut, have you ever tried using YHM? That would probably cut 2 hours off your journey time. Even Porter's new YUL-YTZ service, for which I believe the start date is being announced today, would probably be faster, even with having to negotiate the Gardiner.

voodoo

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:54 pm

Having not been there for two years...whats this cable car/vomit comet thing referred to above?
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

airbusfanyyz

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:02 am

As a frequent passenger through YYZ especially T1, I can't imagine it being voted the best Global Airport.
Despite my misgivings about the sterile T1, and the lack of any real link to downtown Toronto it still is much better to pass through than many US airports like LAX, DFW, IAH, MIA to name a few.
But even within North America YVR and DTW are superior facilities, let alone the wonderful asian airports like ICN.

It might just be that this award acknowledges the farsighted planning the GTAA is doing with the size and capacity of T1, additional runways and cargo facility growth.
In the last year we have seen AI, AM, EY, Transaero, and CX Cargo all start services to YYZ. 2007 will see increased service from KL and CX, capacity increase by AF, nonstop AUH-YYZ on EY A345 and some other rumoured developments. Hopefully this growth continues... some lower fees would help!  Wink

Cheers,
Kaz

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 29):
But even within North America YVR and DTW are superior facilities, let alone the wonderful Asian airports like ICN.

YVR especially is a great facility having been there in the last month myself. It is also far and away less expensive than YYZ let alone it's close U.S. Neighbor down I-5; SEA!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

ricardofg

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 29):
Hopefully this growth continues... some lower fees would help!

Flyglobespan first flight into YYZ is this Friday from MAN.

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting RicardoFG (Reply 31):
Flyglobespan first flight into YYZ is this Friday from MAN.

I think for international flights that get high fares (from Europe, Asia, South America) the high fee model works, but for domestic and USA trans-border operations (that likely make up as much as two thirds of the movements) this hurts YYZ tremendously.

congaboy

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:14 am

Maybe the landing fees are so high at LPBIA because they are busy buying off and creating organizations like ITM. Never heard of it...and like many have indicated, there are many other airports that provide a better overall experience than YYZ. Personally, the airport is way to large to support 30 million per year...I know their stated goal is to become the premier North American gateway, and ITM may be helping them get more spin in the marketplace.
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 23):
Guess what folks? Your AIF (Airport Improvement Fee) is going to go up, and so will the cost of landing a plane at YYZ.

Now DEN on the other hand has seen their fees drop by over one third in the last couple of years. Selling off the real property from the old Stapleton site has helped eliminate some of the bond debt to build the DIA facility. DEN for a number of years was above $15/per passenger, and they are now down to @$9.50. This is one change in the business climate there that has enabled them to finally get WN to come back after a 20 year hiatus.

zschocheimages

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 2):
I haven't been to the new Asian airports like HKG, BKK, ICN, KIX

KIX and HKG are the best of the Asian airports. I would like to get to BKK sometime.

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 9):
While T1 is quite nice and efficient, it cant beat the WorldGateway in Detroit

Well said! I feel that way also. The new terminal at IAH is pretty nice too.

[Edited 2006-10-31 21:01:57]
Why fly with 2 engines when you can have 3?

Legallykev
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:59 am

Doesn't the government have something to do with the rents, which somehow affects the fees or something like that? I never really understood that petition that was going around a while back...

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting Legallykev (Reply 36):
Doesn't the government have something to do with the rents, which somehow affects the fees or something like that? I never really understood that petition that was going around a while back...

While Transport Canada charges rent for the facilities at airports, the GTAA loves to pass the blame onto TC for the high costs of this facility. This is something that isn't completely accurate. They have only themselves to blame.

congaboy

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 37):
While Transport Canada charges rent for the facilities at airports, the GTAA loves to pass the blame onto TC for the high costs of this facility. This is something that isn't completely accurate. They have only themselves to blame.

Spot on, SLC. The GTAA are empire-builders, and at some point companies and customers are gonna make another choice. Do some checking on how many people they employ....
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

yegbey01

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:18 am

YYZ is not even near what HKG and ICN look like. From the space mamagement, and pax friendly psrecpective...these ITM guys are a joke!!!

YYZ has NO SHOPPING (unless you consider ROOTS and Tim Hortons world class!!!!0

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 39):
YYZ has NO SHOPPING (unless you consider ROOTS and Tim Hortons world class!!!!0

YVR is so much better for shopping than YYZ this makes me laugh out loud!  laughing   rotfl   rotfl 

cayman

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 37):

Well except for the fact that you are aware that TC charges GTAA 2/3 of the rent it collects and YYZ represents a little less than half all of the national traffic. On top of that, there is a formula in place that will reduce rents at other airports at a much faster rate making YYZ pay an even more disproportionate share of rents collected.

It is stunning that this has not become more of a political issue. The federal Liberals started all this but the Conservatives how now missed the boat in terms of correcting it.

ultrapig

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:57 am

You gotta be kidding-spawled out all over and you have to hard stand a commuter jet and then be bussed to the mail temrinal and walk a while. Not that I'm complaining-its part of flying but it can't be the best

hotelbravo

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:05 am

Sorry, but any airport where you have to collect your luggage, clear customs and put your luggage back on the belt yourself as a transfer passager scores poorly in my book. This includes YYZ and all US airports. European and Asian international hubs allow passengers in transit to change planes without having to see their bags, and sometimes even without having to change terminals. Much, much better transit experience in ZRH, FRA or VIE to name just three.

airbusfanyyz

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting Hotelbravo (Reply 43):
Sorry, but any airport where you have to collect your luggage, clear customs and put your luggage back on the belt yourself as a transfer passager scores poorly in my book.

This will no longer happen at YYZ once the new International Pier F is operational in 01/2007 for something like GRU-YYZ-NRT.
However, if you're going Europe-YYZ-USA you will still need to go through this process due to US preclearance regulations. Don't think there is a way around that one.

Cheers,
Kaz

SLCUT2777

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Hotelbravo (Reply 43):
Sorry, but any airport where you have to collect your luggage, clear customs and put your luggage back on the belt yourself as a transfer passenger scores poorly in my book. This includes YYZ and all US airports. European and Asian international hubs allow passengers in transit to change planes without having to see their bags, and sometimes even without having to change terminals. Much, much better transit experience in ZRH, FRA or VIE to name just three.

This is a standard practice at YVR as well, so i can only assume that it is standard protocol at all Canadian airports after an International flight or trans-border flight where one flies in w/o coming through a pre-clearence facility.

Quoting CayMan (Reply 41):
It is stunning that this has not become more of a political issue. The federal Liberals started all this but the Conservatives how now missed the boat in terms of correcting it.

Since that issue with the Federal Conservatives is over looked, I tend to think that the Harper Government looks at it as being more of an Ontario problem given they've been controlled by a coalition of Liberals and NDP's for heaven knows how long. There is also some very geographical political division in Canada, just as there is here in the states.

Alibo5NGN

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Legallykev (Thread starter):
by the Institute of Transport Management (ITM

confused   confused 
It takes knowledge to make a career. It takes wisdom to live a life.

hotelbravo

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 44):
However, if you're going Europe-YYZ-USA you will still need to go through this process due to US preclearance regulations.

Add to that NRT-YYZ-USA, or just-about-anywhere-in-the-world-YYZ-USA. A sizeable fraction of YYZ transfer passengers I'd say. I know it isn't a YYZ-specific problem, but it does mean IMHO than the title of Best Global airport can't go to a North American airport, at least if you are going to take the traveler's perspective into account.

yow

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting Legallykev (Thread starter):
growing force within North America, and wider destinations, for its excellent facilities and customer focused attitude towards passengers

If that's the case then why is there practically no shopping in T1, why aren't there any CRJ-100/200 capable loading bridges?

The GTAA spends money like it grows on trees, yet passes up on millions of dollars in revenue each year. More concession stands = more revenue.

RJ loading bridges at T1 new would bring a lot more revenue too.

Just for domestic flights, assume there are on average 30 CRJ-100/200 departures per day.

If those flights used a bridge at $80/flight, that would be an extra $2,400/day in revenue to the GTAA or $876,000/year. Instead these RJs are ground loaded in that tiny holdroom...not exactly customer focussed I'd say.

CF188A

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:38 am

Is there a website which states how much each aircraft will cost upon landing at YYZ?
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos