thomasphoto60

Kellner Warning The City Of Houston?

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 am

An intresting and possibly telling editorial in today's 'Comical'. The last quote is the most chilling.

"Mayor White and Continental Airlines CEO Larry Kellner met last week with the Chronicle's editorial board and detailed the economic difficulties that would be created by permanently tying the city's enterprise funds to a revenue and spending ceiling."

"As for the airports, White says, defeat of Prop G would make it more difficult to expand facilities and make necessary capital improvements. A situation could be created in which city officials would have to choose between expanding aviation facilities and hiring more police."

"Kellner says Continental wants to use bigger aircraft at Bush Intercontinental, "but that takes more gate space, parking, more concessions and terminal size." If the airline cannot expand here, the CEO says, it would be forced to look elsewhere for that growth."

The whole editorial,

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/4294082.html

While I do not care for these tactics, IAH's future growth is too important, so I will be voting for 'G'.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

badlydrawnboy

RE: Kellner Warning The City Of Houston?

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 am

There have been reports that CO is looking at CLE for more expansion, but I think just about everyone "in the know" knows that. The saga continues....

bdb

TVNWZ

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Thread starter):
While I do not care for these tactics, IAH's future growth is too important, so I will be voting for 'G'.

Then their fearmongering worked. I would vote NO and see what happens. Prediction: nothing.

drerx7

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:08 am

COs fleet plans and the fearmongering tactics don't add up--larger aircraft--the 777s and 767s are maxed out and the 787s don't take up any larger space so its really meaningless rhetoric. I'll be voting for G but its not because CO won't use larger jets into Houston--cause no matter what they will.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

102IAHexpress

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:43 am

I don’t know enough about the propositions to vote one way or the other. I’ll have to do some more research. Although, I don’t care for scare tactics so I’m inclined to vote No on prop G, but voting Yes could benefit HOU and its main tenant; so I might go Yes.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4255969.html

CO767FA

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Thread starter):
." If the airline cannot expand here, the CEO says, it would be forced to look elsewhere for that growth."

CO Executives used similar tactics with Denver....and we know where that got them.