Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ptknight
Topic Author

TAP To Buy PGA (NI) - Confirmed

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:45 pm

According to a leading Portuguese newspaper (publico.pt, in pt only), TAP has reached an agreement to buy PGA Portugália Airlines ( NI ) and the deal will be signed this Friday.
The current owner, Grupo Espírito Santo, agreed to sell 99.8% of PGA to the still State owned carrier, but the deal still has to be approved by the National Competition Authority (and probably the European Competition Authority, I say).
BTW, Portugália Airlines has been voted Best Regional Airline in Europe again in the annual Skytrax survey. This is the sixth consecutive year that PGA wins this award.

This leaves Portugal pretty much with only one airliner and no compettion what so ever... Probably that's why my next trip to Brazil (OPO-GRU) cost me 1,300€

[Edited 2006-10-31 15:48:05]

godbless

RE: TAP To Buy PGA (NI) - Confirmed

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Ptknight (Thread starter):
Portugália Airlines has been voted Best Regional Airline in Europe again in the annual Skytrax survey. This is the sixth consecutive year that PGA wins this award.

Just too bad that they scaled their network back so dramaically in the past years. Alone in Germany they used to serve CGN and STR.

Quoting Ptknight (Thread starter):
This leaves Portugal pretty much with only one airliner and no compettion what so ever... Probably that's why my next trip to Brazil (OPO-GRU) cost me 1,300€

Since NI never served Brasil I doubt that that is the reason...

Max

ptknight
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting GodBless (Reply 1):
Since NI never served Brasil I doubt that that is the reason...

hmm, right. I forgot to mention VARIG doesn't fly to pt anymore, hence my 'complaint'...

druida

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:08 am

Dear friend, is truth that very probably I negotiate it realize. If to think me about strategy terms I very think that the TAP this to be intelligent, therefore with the increase of the company low-cost in the Europe or the Tap obtains to follow the market or can have problems. When acquiring PGA the TAP is with a recognized company as most good in the regional flights being able when increasing the fleet with new the Embraers to execute the majority of the European flight of the TAP, what it will allow the TAP to strengthen or to widen its routes of medium range course, but will be to with a company capable to make low-cost without deep alterations in the organic of the company. Desire that strategy plan if materialize personally with success therefore I am a great admirer of Mr. Fernando Pinto and of its it equips, therefore in many years she was the unica person who obtained to raise the name of the TAP of the best world-wide operators. One I hug

Sorry about mi english

druida

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:11 am

A this moment Varig almost only do regional flights , and with some problems

ricardofg

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:25 am

Its a shame NI never started transatlantic service. I used to fly them quite a bit LIS-FAO and service was excellent! I had heard they were joinging Skyteam a while ago which would have provided nice competition to TP. However it looks like that wont happen. Will TP take over there old aircraft though since TP flies a new, and exclusively airbus fleet? How will NIs old Fokkers and Embraers sit there?

Buyantukhaa

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Druida (Reply 5):
Druida From Portugal, joined Oct 2006, 4 posts, RR: 0

Our new member Druida managed to get himself a ban within 4 posts! That must beat the record I'd say. His first was an ad for his company (now deleted) and the remaining 3 are all above.

Druida, nearly all of us have a post deleted once in a while (myself included) but you may want to take a look here (the link can be found immediately above the window where you type): https://www.airliners.net/discussions/rules.main?confirm=no

Happy posting.

FMAL

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Druida (Reply 4):
A this moment Varig almost only do regional flights , and with some problems

What problems, exactly?

From my recent experience and knowledge, Varig is doing a superb job under the new owners. Varig has, in september, consolidated the lead on the main Brazilian market, the Rio-SP shuttle, with 66% occupancy. TAM was second.

jimyvr

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:24 pm

not to mention Skyteam losing the future "associate" member since TAP scoops PGA. Either merge it with TAP or get PGA a regional star membership

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos