Tristarsteve

BA Connect To Be Sold To Flybe

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:47 pm

BA has announced that it is negotiating to sell most of BA Connect to flybe
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6112252.stm

This willnot include the MAN-JFK, or the LCY operations.

a380heavy

RE: BA Connect To Be Sold To Flybe

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:53 pm

So much for BA operating out of NEMA then - guess there will be no long service awards at BACON!!!

A380Heavy
Flown in:732,733,734,738,742,752,763,772,F27,DC9,MD-11,A300,A332,ATR72,DHC-6,Bell206,C172,Auster,PA-28

AlanUK

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:22 pm

I have just read about this, and I cannot believe just how quickly BA has given up on the Connect brand. It seems just yesterday that they announced the relaunch of British Airways regions to BA connect. At the time, they said they would give 2 years for BA connect to return a profit... How long has it been now?!?

I guess Mr Walsh is showing its true colours now, and its ambition of getting rid of anything that doesn't perform without questioning the long term impact on the global BA business. Such a short term vision will probably improve BA's performance in the near term, but will reduce BA's market and brand strenght in the long term.

Alan.

UAL777UK

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:24 pm

Great news for Flybe, but I am surprised with BA's decision................although I would go on to say that I am not so surprised when you have Willie at the helm.......He ruled with an iron rod at EI in his final years there and lets be honest he did turn it around.

gkirk

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:31 pm

So this means no more BA at BHX?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

FRALIM

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:37 pm

here is what BA has to say on their website. I find this part quite interesting: "British Airways will have a 15 percent investment in Flybe on completion of the disposal."

Wonder how they want to keep the LCY ops. Will they just keep a few ARJ and base them in LCY? At the moment no BA aircraft are based in LCY...

GSM763

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Here's what Flybe are saying
http://www.flybe.com/next_gen/default.htm

"Flybe plans to accelerate its current fleet renewal programme and will phase out all of the existing BA Connect fleet as soon as possible. The current Flybe £1.2bn investment programme in Bombardier Q400 and Embraer 195 aircraft will be complete by 2009."

"The acquisition comes as Flybe announces its strongest ever summer trading period, resulting in an operating profit of £20.5 million* for the six months to 30th September 2006, which compares to an operating profit of £12.4 million* in the same period on 2005."

MYT332

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting A380Heavy (Reply 1):
So much for BA operating out of NEMA then

What about services operated by GB Airways from Manchester, East Midlands and Bristol?

Services operated by GB Airways are unaffected by this announcement.

It was fairly obvious to some that Bacon would fry from the beginning. It's a shame but I can see Flybe doing better things at MAN than BA, not like I like that idea but c'est la vie.
One Life, Live it.

Foxy

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:52 pm

"As part of this sale British Airways announced that it will now formally be renaming itself London Airways"

BCAL

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:09 pm

It seems like the BAConnect brand was formed only a few months ago and already a sale has been agreed ‘in principle’. Willy Wonka and the BA Board have certainly given the airline a chance to prove itself! What next? BA hardly has any presence in the UK north of the M25, so shall they rebrand as London Airways? How come U2, FR, Jet2 etc can make regional flying profitable yet BD cannot and BA gives up and pulls out almost completely?

I do not know whether the sale is good news or bad news. It could be good news as flybe might be keen to develop the regional routes and become a strong force in regional flying, rather than just concentrate on expansion at LHR and maximise profits for shareholders, both of which were BA’s principle objectives. It could be bad news as flybe might use the opportunity for a hike in prices, as there will be less competition on many routes.

The BAConnect fleet will be disposed of and replaced with types operated by flybe, but what about the BAConnect staff, who are being told the news as they report for work this morning? Will flybe sort out their pension problems? Will there be many redundancies? I wish all the BAConnect crews the best for the future. Somehow regional flying will now not be the same as before.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

AIR MALTA

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 9):
The BAConnect fleet will be disposed of and replaced with types operated by flybe, but what about the BAConnect staff, who are being told the news as they report for work this morning? Will flybe sort out their pension problems? Will there be many redundancies? I wish all the BAConnect crews the best for the future. Somehow regional flying will now not be the same as before.

Very sad news in deed. It is incredible how BA can not operate a profitable regional service like AF or LH... But it seems that there is an over capactiy in the UK with all these low costs flying around with rediculous prices.

I was in London once and I have flown with BA to LHR. I met some friends there and they asked me if I used Stansted. I said LHR. They told me I must be posh to afford it.

If the UK public is looking fpr 40 pounds tickets from the regions, there is nothing that BA can do about it. And let's face it. In other countries like France or Germany, LH and AF don't have that much competion at their primaray and secondary hubs (CDG,LYS or FRA,MUC)... so!!!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

MYT332

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 9):
I wish all the BAConnect crews the best for the future. Somehow regional flying will now not be the same as before.

Yes I share the same feelings, I've already spoken to one unhappy camper this morning. Will the remaining Bacon fleet still have any business on the IOM maintenance wise?
One Life, Live it.

sam1987

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:34 pm

What will happen to Loganair?

BA's only remaining regional product.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 9):
BA hardly has any presence in the UK north of the M25,

These will be the only non London airports in the UK to see BA:

MAN (JFK, LHR, LGW)
NCL (LHR, LGW)
EDI (LCY, LHR, LGW)
GLA (LGW, LHR)
ABZ (LHR, LGW)
JER (LGW)

Quite sad really!
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

MYT332

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 12):

Well not quite, from a public point of view MAN, EMA and BRS will still see GB Airways flights. Will they still opearte with buy on board too?
One Life, Live it.

gayrugbyman

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm really looking forward to the whole thing. BA have never seriously had any intention of growing from MAN, so let BE come in and make a go of routes.

Wonder what'll happen to the Billund routes and services to BRU from MAN, which are heavily tied in with SN routes out of BRU?

Will we see more codesharing on the enw BE routes with the likes of CO/AF/KL I wonder?

Danny

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:41 pm

What will happen to Loganair?

BA's only remaining regional product.

I don't see a future for them. A possibility would be takeover by Aer Arann.

mainMAN

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 11):
Will the remaining Bacon fleet still have any business on the IOM maintenance wise?

I'll be watching very carefully to see what happens to BA staff at BACON HQ in Manchester, and in the IOM.

MAN (JFK, LHR, LGW)
NCL (LHR, LGW)
EDI (LCY, LHR, LGW)
GLA (LGW, LHR)
ABZ (LHR, LGW)
JER (LGW)

Quite sad really!

Quite alarming that BHX is about to lose all BA services. It's not sad for me, having declined to use BA services for 20 years, from the time they were nationalised and along with the CAA, tried to scupper QF and SQ's plans to operate into MAN.

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 14):
I'm really looking forward to the whole thing. BA have never seriously had any intention of growing from MAN, so let BE come in and make a go of routes.

Hear hear!

Wonder what'll happen to the Billund routes and services to BRU from MAN, which are heavily tied in with SN routes out of BRU?

Good point. Will we see SN/BA codeshare in competition with BE's own services?

gayrugbyman

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:11 pm

Is certainly going to be an exciting time! Am going to hold fire on booking flights for next summer, could be some really cracking offers from MAN to Madrid and Frankfurt with BE! Yayy!!!

gayrugbyman

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Wonder if BE will join OneWorld as part of this deal...?

Would make sense.

AIR MALTA

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 18):

Or BE will be a BA franchise???
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

MYT332

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 18):

Would make sense

It wouldn't. Flybe are a LCC, look what happened to Aer Lingus.

Will Flybe be a member of oneworld?
No

BA Link
One Life, Live it.

Tristarsteve

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:32 pm

BA have said in a letter to staff that 10 Avros will stay in the fleet to operate out of LCY.
At the set up of BA Connect in the spring it was announced that they had two years to become profitable. The sale has come earlier because of an approach by FlyBE to buy the airline.

philb

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Foxy (Reply 8):
"As part of this sale British Airways announced that it will now formally be renaming itself London Airways"

They did that in the early 1980s but have just been too shy to paint it on the aircraft.

cy319

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Interesting news indeed.
GB is likely to make a massive expansion out of MAN/BRS/EMA or BHX. There is always demand for the mediterranean resorts ex any UK airport. The question is: will they choose BHX or EMA???
As for BE, it is a great opportunity for them to expand at many European business cities and thus attract more high yield pax.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 21):
BA have said in a letter to staff that 10 Avros will stay in the fleet to operate out of LCY.

Maybe now that all the testing is going on with the 318 for LCY, BA will consider replacing these birds with new 318's?

vfw614

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Looks as if I will be on the second but last British Airways flight from the Isle Of Man on 24MAR07.....

I would not be surprised if this development will result in a small order for Airbus A318 for the LCY operations. I cannot really see that BA will keep four or five RJ100 just for services from LCY. I would not be surprised if the remaining 10 RJ100s will end up with the Lufthansa group.

If I understand the press release correctly, this will mean a hefty capacity reduction on the UK market as FlyBe plans to withdraw all of BACON's aircraft - we are talking about approx 24 ERJ145, 14 BAe/Avros and 7 Dash 8. Even if FlyBe axes a lot of BACON's routes, most if not all forthcoming deliveries of Q400s and E195 will be needed to fill the gaps and cannot be used for further expansion at new Flybe bases etc. It will probalby also mean that some of the less lucrative Flybe routes will go to allow the take-over of existing BACON routes. As FlyBe also lacks 50seat aircraft, quite a few of the thinner domestic routes that will not be able to fill a Q400 at LCC prices will be axed and probably snapped up by the likes of Eastern Airways, Air Southwest etc.

For Flybe, this comes at the right time. I was under the impression that they had to some extent difficulties in further expanding at UK bases and were facing the decision to grow outside the UK - which would have been difficult because the Flybe brand might be strong in the UK, but is quite unknown on the continent.

Personally, because of the usual chaos at LHR, I prefer to make connections at MAN or BHX when travelling to UK destinations. As this will no longer be an option, British Airways in those cases will no longer get my business (the UK connections through LHR will be fairly limited anyway). Hopefully this means that other network carriers will follow KLM's suit and serve a lot of regional British airport (Lufthansa, please note).

tcxdegsy

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a handful of new domestic routes trialled by BA as full service shuttle offering. Considering shuttle routes such as EDI/GLA-LHR, etc, are profitable, they may look at some additional routes for Summer-only traffic, to feed into GB Airways routes to European Summer destinations.

And of course, as the MAN-NYC route is not affected by this sale, BA need this route to be profitable and may need feeder flights too, so they may end up adding some routes into MAN at tactical times of year to help connect to this route when loads dictate.

Personally, I'd like to see BA offer a transatlantic route or two from EDI or GLA. Since a handful of other airlines can do it, I'm sure they've considered it.

Lets face it, with slots at a premium at LHR, they may have to expand from the north, and use the LHR-Scotland shuttle as the feeder in the opposite direction to help!!
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

skidmarks

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Well, for the IOM, the mood is fairly depressed, with not much optimism. We have been shafted good and proper by BA. Just wish they had been open and honest when they took over BRAL/Manx.

Most people here think this is the end of the line for operations on the IOM and within the next 3 years the whole thing will be wound up and engineering on the rock will cease.

We were given 2 years, and Willie Walsh has done what he is good at, and cut the rug out from under our feet.

It is also bad for the customer here on the Island. What will happen to the IOM-LGW route? And IOM-MAN?

BA sucks and nothing will convince me otherwise. And I work for them.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

8herveg

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:17 pm

I think this is such ashame for BA Connect and an embarrassment for British Airways in general, being the flag carrier of the United Kingdom.

I think that if low-cost flights operating out of these regional airports had some sort of control over them, whereby only a certain amount of slots are available each day, then BA Connect could easily operate some E170's, E190's etc. to destinations around Europe.

bastew

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 pm

BA must see some rosy future for BA Con under the FLYBE banner though. On the staff intrnate, Willie Walsh says BA will have a 15% investment on FLYBE on completion of the deal.

From the mouth of WW:

Chief executive Willie Walsh said: “Point to point regional operations are not a strategic part of our business and we believe that such activities are better undertaken by a regional low cost airline.

“Despite the best efforts of the entire team at BA Connect, we do not see any prospect of profitability in its current form.

”The proposed sale to Flybe provides the best opportunity to secure the long-term future for the many dedicated staff in BA Connect. British Airways will have a 15 per cent investment in Flybe on completion of the disposal.

“London City services complement our mainline business at Heathrow. For this reason they are not included in the proposed sale.”

Eurohub

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:03 pm

Wonder what'll happen to the Billund routes

Since the Billund route is operated by franchise partner Sun Air of Scandinavia, I expect that this route (and their route out of BHX) will continue as normal.

Talking of BHX, what will happen to operations in T2 which has recently benefitted from massive investment in the check-in area with a huge increase in the number of desks? Assuming BE consolidates its operations in T1, might we see carriers like LH and SK joining SN, KL, AF, Swiss and Sun-Air in T2?

Regards,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

jumpjet

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 pm

I simply don't understand BA! As an ordinary member of the public with a basic interest in aviation and a will to fly a minimum of 3 or 4 times a year, I'm left with the distinct impression that they don't want my business.

When I've wanted to fly from regional airports to various domestic and European destinations, I've looked at BA's schedules and prices and guess what - no service or crazy,crazy prices. Because of this I've subsequently been forced to fly with Easyjet or ThomsonFly, it has to be said all without difficulty. I've flown to Florida and to Boston on numerous occasions and it's been exactly the same story, I've tried to fly BA but I've ended up flying with Virgin Atlantic or American because BA quoted lunatic fares.

I thought that with the advent of BA Connect, I'd get a more convenient service from my local airport, Bristol, but they're now abandoning this for a second time, having sold Go to Easyjet. I just don't understand it.

Every time I've arranged flights over the last 10 years, I've given BA a look more out of a misguided sense of patriotism than anything and I've ended up being disappointed. The last time I flew BA was 1988! I firmly believe that they're only interested in business travellers flying from London and I've now given up even trying to become a customer.

sn26567

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Wonder what'll happen to services to BRU from MAN, which are heavily tied in with SN routes out of BRU?

Flybe can only improve service on that route. BA Connect service to BRU has been abysmal and could not compare to SN. A warm welcome to Flybe!

And now we'll have a chance to see other planes than the BAe/Avro on that route.
ex-Sabena #26567

CYatUK

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 2):
I have just read about this, and I cannot believe just how quickly BA has given up on the Connect brand. It seems just yesterday that they announced the relaunch of British Airways regions to BA connect

I wonder what will happen to the service onboard GB Airways planes flying under BA Connect brand. Are we going back to full service or is the ezy type kiosk service to remain?

Also, talking about BA changing their mind continuously, what are people criticising BMI thinking about BAs decision? Interesting to find out.
CY@Uk

CKT789

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Candid76

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. Firstly there's no doubt that domestic point to point non-leisure routes need a business product. Business travellers don't generally want buy on board and they certainly don't want the ridiculously complicated "pricing menu" that FlyBE use or their silly baggage policy. It's a pity Willie sees the FlyBE model as the future, not the Eastern Airways model, when it comes to domestic business flying. Now bmi regional have a great opportunity to differentiate themselves substantially from FlyBACON on their trunk routes from MAN.

Hopefully LHR will continue to be a nightmare and long may its annual August crisis continue! The Exec club holders will no longer get their miles unless they transfer across London. Less leakage over LHR, they'll get Star cards instead and fly with LH, or Skyteam with AF/KL, when they fly to Europe or even to GLA, EDI etc. which might attract long haul members of those alliances to serve MAN and pick up those business pax who may desert LHR (I hope!).

Are FlyBE really the golden boys of the domestic business? Will BACON pilots take this lying down? What is the significance of the 15% BA stake, maybe Willie might make an offer for FlyBE one day and rebrand it as a BA franchise (don't laugh, it happened before with Manx, Loganair etc.) One day the wheels will fall off this low cost bandwagon. BA may have made a clever long term move, I reckon WW is a very clever cookie.

Those are just my initial thoughts. If the pilots desert and don't join FlyBE they'll be seriously stuck for crew, overloaded in Ops, thinner routes may have to be dropped as was mentioned above. Other carriers will be waiting...

vfw614

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Will this mean the end of franchising the BA brand to regional airlines such as Loganair or Sun Air ? As these do not serve LON, there is little chance for them to benefit from the BA brand in regional markets. Connections will not be available either with the exception a flights to LON, so there is no point really to pay a franchise fee. I doubt that the BA brand is a crowd-puller at places like INV, EDI or BLL any longer.....

gkirk

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Sn26567 (Reply 32):
And now we'll have a chance to see other planes than the BAe/Avro on that route.

Assuming that FlyBe don't decide to drop routes such as MAN-FRA/BRU/CDG etc
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

BCAL

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 27):

Andy

As you work for BAConnect, you are personally affected by the decision but it might be a good move and, I sincerely hope, will result in a more secure future for you. BA has never been interested in regional flying. It seemed that the BA Board (and shareholders) frowned on it as an irritating thing that would not go away; there was increased competition from the LCCs, so they simply gave BAConnect 2 years to swim or sink. Flybe is committed to regional flying and does not have the high overheads that BA has. They approached BA and they have a solid business plan for regional. They will need more staff and crews.

The IOM is a tax heaven. I really cannot see how flybe would allow the LGW-IOM or the MAN-IOW links to disappear, after all the millionaires with their fortunes tied up in Douglas, and all the people in the finance industry, would not necessarily want to fly from some small regional airport. Flybe maintained its links from LGW to the Channel Islands and, as far as I know, these have been operating profitably for many years. Why should the IOM be any different?

BA is simply putting all their eggs in one basket, that basket being LHR (and to a smaller extent LGW but how long they will stay there is anyone’s guess). You only have to look at the recent terrorist threats and the subsequent increased security measures introduced at LHR/LGW to see how vulnerable BA is now.

Anyway, Andy, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you hoping that the move will be good one and will give you a secure future.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

BMIFlyer

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 pm

Great news Big grin

I wish Flybe the best of luck with this, i'm sure it will work well for them  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

cardiffairtaxi

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting JumpJet (Reply 31):

I think you just might see a further investment from Easyjet, from BRS.
Ive heard a rumour,they are planning even more services and aircraft from BRS.

David_itl

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:17 am

Manchester Evening News got the story, and has this line:

"Flybe, formerly Jersey European Airways, said it planned to add services from Manchester to new destinations in France, Germany and other European cities and put on extra flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Southampton and other British cities. It will also replace the BA Connect fleet with more fuel-efficient aircraft.

David

Foxy

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 41):
Manchester Evening News got the story

Will have to check if my copy has dropped through my door yet. Was quite dismayed this morning when i turned on BBC news 24 to find there leading story was the BA loss in profits with absolutely no mention of the fact BA had pretty much sold all of its flights which don't originate at LGW or LHR

jmc757

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:44 am

Interesting news indeed. Unfortunately I think the writing has been on the wall for a long time, way before "Connect". Its been clear for a while that BA either don't know what to do with regional, or just don't want to be bothered with it.

If that was the case then perhaps its better it does move on. Don't get me wrong its a great shame our once great "national airline" will now be a London airline only, but Flybe aren't all that bad. They've had great success in recent years with regional flying. If anyone can take it forward I'd guess it is flybe.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 27):
Well, for the IOM, the mood is fairly depressed, with not much optimism. We have been shafted good and proper by BA. Just wish they had been open and honest when they took over BRAL/Manx.

On Flybe's website they have regional press releases, and in particular the Isle of Man one states:

Quote:
As part of the announcement, Flybe outlines its long term commitment to providing air services from the Isle of Man to London Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham. It also announces its intention to introduce a number of new routes, the details of which will be provided once the acquisition is completed.

BA Connect Base Maintenance Facility
Flybe understands the important contribution that the BA Connect base maintenance facility makes to the Isle of Man economy. Flybe’s Aviation Services activities are headquartered at a new £14m facility in Exeter. Post acquisition, Flybe will look to provide both transitional work on the Embraer Jet fleet and new Aviation Service work for the Isle of Man facility. Flybe will work closely with the workforce and the Isle of Man Government to deliver these options.

I sincerely hope it works out for you Andy, and all BAConnect staff. I know its not easy but surely this must be the first time in a long time that you actually know for certain what is going on with BA Regional?

trekster

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:01 am

Not been a good day at work. The Ba Connect offices are on the floor below me, and saw one or 2 people crying around the office 

I can see why BA have done this, and am looking at the good points
Better Aircraft, getting rid of the older fleet
Better service
More destinations

Then on the bad side. BA loose a significant number of destinations from the regional side. BHX looses BA completely. Call centres will be alot more quiet, and i work in one of them.

We shall see what happens in the next few months

Also, whats going to happen at MAN, now its only seeing the shuttle route to LGW and LHR, plus the JFK, theres not goin to be as much need for all teh space it currently has

[Edited 2006-11-03 18:03:27]
Where does the time go???

sam1987

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:09 am

Well not quite, from a public point of view MAN, EMA and BRS will still see GB Airways flights

My apologies... I also forgot the GT routes ex MAN.

So, from March 2007, these will be the only non London airports in the UK to see BA:

BRS (TFS)
EMA (TFS)
MAN (LHR, LGW, JFK, TFS, PFO)
NCL (LHR, LGW)
EDI (LCY, LHR, LGW)
GLA (LGW, LHR)
ABZ (LHR, LGW)
JER (LGW)

Is the above correct?

Is it right to assume the current BA Connect INV to LGW service will become part of BE too?

Quoting CYatUK (Reply 33):
I wonder what will happen to the service onboard GB Airways planes flying under BA Connect brand

I suggest they bring back Club Europe and free onboard food.

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 35):
One day the wheels will fall off this low cost bandwagon

I'm not so sure. I think the future of short haul is low cost and the future of long haul (and long haul feed) is full service.

Quoting Foxy (Reply 42):
Was quite dismayed this morning when i turned on BBC news 24 to find there leading story was the BA loss in profits with absolutely no mention of the fact BA had pretty much sold all of its flights which don't originate at LGW or LHR

I know; most bizarre!
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

BA787

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:10 am

banghead 

The more I hear about BA, the more I hate it. They're gonna ruin themselves!!!!

trekster

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:17 am

BA787

There going though a change, as are alot of airlines.

BA is getting rid of a loss making part of the company, and at the right time, some wants to buy them, and they dont have to negotiate and lower the prices etc to get people to tender for them. FlyBe are a good company, with a good business plan. I have flown them and loved the trip, crew etc. Its a big change, dont get me wrong. But airlines are in business to make profit, and if something does not make money, they have to do something with it. I see this from both sides, both working for them, and on the outside. Its not good and good at the same time
Where does the time go???

jmc757

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 am

Just a thought. Anyone know what will happen to the ground handling? BA have a large full ground handling operation at BHX (and I guess other airports). They won't want it once they don't fly there. And I doubt BE will want to go self handling. Pretty sure they're happy with battering down the cost for 3rd party handlers. Bet thats cheaper than running your own operation in many cases.

So what will become of it? Sold off to existing handlers?

Pe@rson

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:26 am

Unexpected, but quite unsurprising.

I flew EXT-GCI-JER last night (BE311; DH4). The flight was less than 50% full each time. We would have pushed-back at EXT about 3 or 4 minutes early, but we were delayed by 30 minutes - just so a JER-based BE pilot, who was running late, could get the flight (as a passenger). I thought that that was unfair to us paying passengers.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."