SInGAPORE_AIR

Thank You From Your "xxx" Based Flight Attendants

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:56 pm

Greetings,

I notice from many videos on Youtube, and also my experience with United Airlines, that on many airlines, the flight attendants thank passengers for flying with the respective airlines while mentioning where they're based (and sometimes even the pilots).

So, why is this?

The cynic would argue that it's about one base trying to make sure that passengers know that their base is better than the other. The offshoot of this competition theoretically would mean that each base tries to improve its service offerred to customers and that there are metrics to measure this performance in terms of complaints for example.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jfidler

RE: Thank You From Your "xxx" Based Flight Attendants

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm

I think it adds a personal touch -- you know a bit more about the flight crew. I'm not sure if that's why they do it, but it makes it seem more personal to me when I fly.

Justin

PS. Weren't you planning to write a trip report for your flight to SIN on SQ that took place this year? I was looking forward to it but didn't see it when I searched.

FA4B6

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:12 am

From my experience, a lot of customers ask where we're based out of general curiosity. At JetBlue, it isnt the standard to mention because we're all considered Crewmembers (though I do agree it adds a personal touch).
"Leap! And the net will appear."

Alitalia744

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:15 am

Personally I like it. They did it this morning as I stepped off DL1832

"on behalf of your New York City based flight attendants and your Los Angeles based Cockpit crew, thank you for choosing Delta Air Lines...."
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:45 am

Part of what I say is "on behalf of our SkyTeam partners and everyone here at Continental Airlines, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your flight today".

I never did like the mentioning of where the crew is based. Just me.
You can't cure stupid

COEWRNJ

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
Part of what I say is "on behalf of our SkyTeam partners and everyone here at Continental Airlines, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your flight today".

I've noticed it the most on CO. Instead of "everyone here at Continental" it's normally "your XXX based flight crew."

I like to hear where the crew is based. It's interestig, but not necesary especially on CO where the service is by far the best no matter where the crew is from.

I remember in Aug 01' I was on a EWR-PBI flight that had a EWR & LAX based crew. That was by far the best crew I had ever had. Does the LAX base still exist?

flyCMH

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:18 am

I believe it also helps to promote the city in which the airline has a crew base. In the states, as of late, many cities have offered airlines all sorts of incentives to locate crew and maintenance bases at their respective cities. By saying the base of the crew on board, it helps to promote awareness and supposedly prominance of a city, since not all cities can be considered crew bases. I have to admit, being from Columbus, I do enjoy flying on Chautauqua and Shuttle America and hearing "On behalf of your Columbus-based flight crew, we thank you for choosing..."

Aeroflot777

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:28 am

It adds a very nice personally touch, I really enjoy it when they say it!
Always interesting to know that your SFO-JFK leg was operated by a MCO based crew.

Aeroflot777

Cadet57

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:30 am

SOT. But when I flew AA SJU-AUA in July they did this and they said "On behalf of this Dulles based crew we thank you for flying us" Since when does AA have an IAD base?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

deltaffindfw

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):
But when I flew AA SJU-AUA in July they did this and they said "On behalf of this Dulles based crew we thank you for flying us" Since when does AA have an IAD base?

Maybe they meant Dallas based  Smile

kelebek

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:42 am

at OS and even LH I never heard them mentioning their base. I guess this might be cuz OS's only base is Vienna and LH's base is mostly FRA.
So it's quite clear, where they are coming from...

qqflyboy

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):
Since when does AA have an IAD base?

We have a Washington DC crew base, and IAD just might have been the airport they flew out of that day. Our DC crew base covers all three airports: IAD, BWI and DCA.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

blueflyer

RE: Thank You From Your "xxx" Based Flight Attenda

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Thread starter):
So, why is this?

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 1):
I think it adds a personal touch

It is an attempt to make the crew more personable and make sure their service is seen as that, a service, rather than a product, while at the same time making the airline appear less of a monolithic giant from some "other place" and more like a "local" company, which, surveys after surveys have shown (across a wide breath of industries), customers tend to prefer.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):

I never did like the mentioning of where the crew is based. Just me.

Personally, I think it's irrelevant on domestic flights, not just because there's no particular reason to believe that Houston-based cabin crews perform better than their colleagues in Newark, but also because, with so many commuting crew members, "base" means less and less every day, sometimes it's just "the place I landed at on my commuting flight to report for duty."

On international flights, it may have another cachet altogether if the base happens to be outside of the US. It tells passengers residing outside the US that the airline is trying to make efforts to better accommodate their needs by hiring "locally."
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

skyyblue

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 2):
JetBlue, it isnt the standard to mention because we're all considered Crewmembers (though I do agree it adds a personal touch).

I've never 'not' heard it on JetBlue. "On behalf of this JFK-based inflight crew..."

I also think it adds a very nice personal touch and passengers bring it up quite often anyway.

teixeim

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:13 am

The announcement I get a kick out of goes like this: "on behalf of your professional flight attendant crew based in x, we'd like to thank you for flying with us...".

What's silly is the use of the word "professional". Anyone paid is "professional". Whether they conduct themselves "professionally" is another topic altogether. I don't know why anyone would use this wording. Everyone knows that a flight crew is a group of professionals.

fjnovak1

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 am

I've had crew based just about everywhere on the evening ATL-BDL sectors...i've had ATL crews, MIA/FLL crews, LAX crews, CVG crews, and SLC crews. I've noticed on Delta the non-ATL based crews are the ones most likely to identify themselves, perhaps to signify that they aren't from where you think they might be from... many times though when on an MD-88 they will refer to themselves as "Your MD-88 flight crew"....the most scripeted and memorable one was from the SLC crew, they said something like "On behalf of Delta Air Lines employees worldwide and especially your Salt Lake City based crew, its been our pleasure to bring you to Hartford this evening...we hope that you have safe travels to your final destinations and we certainly look forward to seeing you again on another flight, right here, on Delta Air Lines. Good night." Since it sounded different from other "welcome to xxx" messages, i wondered if this might have been the type of message they did on Western Airlines.

I hope Delta continues to prosper and hopefully grow again in BDL....I am leaving Connecticut tomorrow across country for a new job where i will now fly Delta from Ontario Int'l (ONT)....Have already booked a trip w/ them Nov 22nd ONT-SLC-CVG-DTW....
Go Blue!!

EWRCabincrew

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting COEWRNJ (Reply 5):
Does the LAX base still exist?

Unfortunately, no. Only CLE, IAH, EWR and GUM (CO Air Micronesia (Air Mike))are our bases.
You can't cure stupid

We're Nuts

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:52 am

I cut out a lot of the unnecessary stuff from our announcements to make it flow better, and this hit the chopping block first. Our crews are frequently a mix of bases, anyway. Instead I say something like:

"On behalf of all of us here at United Express, and especially this Mesa Airlines flight crew, I'd like to thank you for choosing us this afternoon. It has been our pleasure having you onboard. I do hope that the next time you are traveling to the Washington, DC area, or wherever you happening to be going, you'll think of us here at United Express. Have a great day and a great week, come back and see us again soon, and please drive home safely from the airport."
Dear moderators: No.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 17):
"On behalf of all of us here at United Express, and especially this Mesa Airlines flight crew, I'd like to thank you for choosing us this afternoon. It has been our pleasure having you onboard. I do hope that the next time you are traveling to the Washington, DC area, or wherever you happening to be going, you'll think of us here at United Express. Have a great day and a great week, come back and see us again soon, and please drive home safely from the airport."

Sounds cool, good job

FL is has some nice announcements as well  Smile
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Thread starter):
So, why is this?

So when you get rude service and you then hear "on behalf of your New York based flight crew", you know why.  Wink
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AlexPorter

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:13 am

I always like on Frontier how they always say "On behalf of everyone at Frontier Airlines, I would like to be the first to welcome to our hometown of Denver, Colorado." I wish Sun Country or Northwest would do that, just so I could hear something like "Welcome to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, home of (Northwest / Sun Country) Airlines. Being from the Twin Cities, it would be nice to hear, rather than just a reference to "this Minneapolis-based flight crew."
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:30 am

On some carriers, crew base tends to make a HUGE difference in what kind of service you are likely to receive. NW/MEM might be an example (quite good), though I've had some nice expreiences with NYC based crews on NW as well.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

freedom747

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:34 am

It can add a personal touch, for sure. I always made mention that the "ACS"...Airport Customer Service at Wash. Dulles Int'l Airport would like to thank you....blah blah. Good buddy of mine with Delta is the formerly called the On-Board Leader, and I don't know what Delta calls their domestic F/A nowadays...always made mention to the following: On behalf of our 5 Los Angeles *and* 1 Orlando based flight attendants' we'd like to thank you...blah blah blah. Definately, a warm 'n fuzzy feeling touch.

skyyblue

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 am

One of my all time favorites:

(With a warm caribbean accent, mind you)

... On behalf of Cayman Airways, Captain Jackson, First Officer Brooks and your Georgetown-based cabin crew, it's been our pleasure serving you. We sincerely hope that you've enjoyed your flight with us this evening and we look forward to serving you again in the near future. Vistors to our islands, we wish you a very pleasant stay and to our returning residents we'd like to say welcome home. Thank you, goodevening.

LHRSpotter

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:47 am

My all time favourite on board an EZY flight: "I hope you enjoyed your EasyJet flight today and may I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to fly with us. If you found the experience less than enjoyable I would like to thank you for choosing to fly Ryanair."

skyhigh777

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
SOT. But when I flew AA SJU-AUA in July they did this and they said "On behalf of this Dulles based crew we thank you for flying us" Since when does AA have an IAD base?

Actually I know of quite a few AA pilots and FA's that live here in the DC area and are based out of Dulles. In fact, my old classmates mother, Michelle Heidenberger, was a FA based out of Dulles when she was tragically killed working as head FA on Sept. 11.
Prepare for take-off.

ba747

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:07 am

When I used to fly for British Airways, upon arrival at CCS from LHR I used to say on the farewell speech: On behalf of British Airways, flight commander xxx and the rest of the crew based at London, Caracas and Bogota we thank you for flying with us today, is been a pleasure looking after you and we hope to see again in any of our flights.
The World`s Favorite Airline

L1011Lover

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting Kelebek (Reply 10):
at OS and even LH I never heard them mentioning their base. I guess this might be cuz OS's only base is Vienna and LH's base is mostly FRA.
So it's quite clear, where they are coming from...

I usually mention the base when making announcements. I´m based at FRA, but LH has quite a few bases. In addition to FRA we have bases in MUC, TXL, STR, DUS and HAM. Also foreign bases in NRT, BKK and DEL.

So from time to time especially on domestic/European flights the crew might be composed of different bases. Like one additional crew member being added when a certain crew switches from A320 to A321 a/c.

Also on all flights to India, Thailand and Japan you´ll find local flight attendants of the respective base.

Best regards

L1011Lover

N62NA

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 am

Here's something somewhat related to this topic.

I'm curious if this happens with other airlines, since I almost exclusively fly AA from here in MIAA.

Whenever we land at wherever it is we're going, after the jetway has pulled up to the plane and the front door opens, we hear a local service rep come onto the public address system of the plane and welcome us to "wherever" we happen to be.

Is this common practice on other airlines?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 1):
PS. Weren't you planning to write a trip report for your flight to SIN on SQ that took place this year? I was looking forward to it but didn't see it when I searched.

Yes. I owe Airliners.net trip reports for SQ321 in August, LX182/183 and UA896/895 in September. Due to vastly increased daily activities, these have all been put off. Sorry!

Quoting N62NA (Reply 28):
Is this common practice on other airlines?

Not on Singapore Airlines (I think) but on United Airlines some rep welcomed us to Hong Kong if I remember correctly.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

mats

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:55 am

My favorite is at British Airways, where they usually announce the languages spoken by the crew. Since it's often an impressive array of languages, it adds a certain sense of global style and professionalism.

On longhaul flights, the multilingual cabin crew often made a brief announcement in their native language, even if it was not particlularly germane to that flight. I distinctly remember a Finnish greeting on a BWI-LGW flight.

The base of the crew always seems pretty irrelevant because the crew could live on another continent; that's just their base.

The worst used to be Delta's arrival speech, which ended with "Good Day." It was such an odd phrase. In Spanish, however, the speech was translated to "Muy Buenas Días," which was much nicer.

I also never liked United's HNL-based crews who would say, "Welcome to our little corner of the world." It seemed kind of condescending.

bastew

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:43 am

At BA all our long haul flights have London based crew on them so we don't really tend to say 'on behalf of your london based crew'. On certain routes we get a few crew based at one of our foreign bases - BAH/CAI based crew (usually 2) work on BAH/CAI/AUH/DXB/MCT/DOH/KWI routes. SIN based crew (usually 1) on SIN/SYD/PVG. HKG based crew (3) on HKG/PEK. BOM based crew (3) on BOM/BLR. DEL based crew (3) on DEL. DAC based crew (3) on DAC/CCU. MAA based crew (4) on MAA. GRU based crew (3) on GRU. EZE based crew (1) on EZE. MEX based crew (4) on MEX. NRT based crew (4) on NRT. I think thats all of them!  Confused These crew introduce themselves in their national language and also provide the passengers (and crew!) with information on immigration forms, customs requirements etc.

Our short haul based crews are at LHR, LGW, MAN and GLA/EDI and I don't think they mention where they are based, though it is often easy to tell by the accents!

Quoting Mats (Reply 30):
My favorite is at British Airways, where they usually announce the languages spoken by the crew. Since it's often an impressive array of languages, it adds a certain sense of global style and professionalism.

Those were the days, I think that was when they were driving the whole 'world tails' foreign slant. We don't do this anymore. The Cabin Service Director, in his after take-off address will list all the languages spoken by the crew but thats about it. Sometimes if we notice we have a large group of, say, Italians on a LHR-JFK run and we have an italian speaker onboard they may introduce themself. But we don't go thru the whole english, french, german, italian, swedish, romanian etc etc welcome on a LHR - LAX anymore. Though i did quite like it when it was like that!

laxatljfkcvg

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 am

The flight attendent I had when I was going from SEA-CVG she took the time and told us the whole layout of CVG.

tockeyhockey

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:45 pm

as a frequent flier, when i hear "thank you from your "XXX" based flight crew", it means something to me, especially if they are getting off the plane where i am getting off the plane. when you realize they are working hard just like you to get home on time and in one piece, it means something personal.

home means something and you connect with others who share your home town.

57AZ

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:42 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 21):
On some carriers, crew base tends to make a HUGE difference in what kind of service you are likely to receive.

This is true for all forms of passenger transportation-not just the airlines. On Amtrak, the passenger service crews based out of NYC are really hit or miss while crews based out of New Orleans, Miami or Los Angeles are consistantly better. A friend of mine and I both discovered this when riding the Amtrak Crescent. He rode from Atlanta to DC and return while I rode from New Orleans to Atlanta one way. Both trips were incidentally close to each other. On the northbound legs, dining car service was terrible-very unprofessionally done. On the southbound leg, service was great. Turns out that on the northbound legs, we both got crews that were based out of NYC. With any luck, the steward and onboard service director for my train are no longer employed by the National Passenger Rail Corporation. That experiance resulted in a complaint to the passenger relations office and then CEO of Amtrak/National Passenger Rail Corporation-David Gunn. Shortly thereafter I recieved a response from Mr. Gunn's office to the effect that he had directed his Onboard Services director to look into the aforementioned incidents and apologized for the shortcomings.

Like I said, quality of service can vary from base to base. Informing the passengers of your base can help you in certain situations.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

wingedarrow

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Signore e signori, benvenuti a Roma aeroporto di Fiumicino. Sono le ore 11, ora locale e la temperatura è di 10 °C. Vi preghiamo di rimanere seduti con le cinture allacciate in quanto non abbiamo ancora raggiunto la nostra area di parcheggio. Per evitare la caduta di oggetti, vi raccomandiamo di usare cautela nell'apertura delle cappelliere. Vi invitiamo a non dimenticare bagagli a mano e oggetti personali. Vi ringraziamo per aver scelto Alitalia, partner dell'alleanza Skyteam e nel darvi appuntamento per un nuovo volo vi auguriamo un piacevole soggiorno!

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Rome Fiumicino airport. It's 11 local time and the temperature is 10 °C. We kindly ask you to remain seated with your seatbelt fastened because we haven't reached our parking area yet. To avoid the falling of objects, we recommend you to open the overhead lockers carefully. Please do not forget cabin bags and personal belongings. We hope to welcome you on board again. Thank you for flying Alitalia, partner of Skyteam, and have a nice stay!

...it never mentions the poor FAs...but a taste of Italy is always accepted, isn't it?  Smile
אליטליה

ShowerOfSparks

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:56 am

I'm a little surprised in this day and age with the possiblility of cabin crews names being revealed to passengers through their id cards, that they would then tell the passengers where they live.

Seems like it could be a risk to personal security to me.

S5FA170

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting FlyCMH (Reply 6):
"On behalf of your Columbus-based flight crew, we thank you for choosing..."

Not only do I say "Columbus" I make the announcement in the following manner:

"On behalf of your Columbus, Ohio based flight crew, I'd like to thank you once again for choosing to travel with Delta Air Lines and Delta Connection, and we look forward to serving you on another flight operated by Shuttle America in the very near future. Have a safe and wonderful stay here in the xyz area, or wherever your travels may take you."

Its not just Columbus ... its Columbus, OHIO! (And every now and then, on a CMH-bound flight, I'll add "Home of the Buckeyes!")
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.