RELAX457
Topic Author

Items Got Stolen Out Of My Suitcase @ LAX

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:26 am

hi folks,

something really weird happened to me on Wednesday November 1, 2006 at Los Angeles int´l airport. I got in from San Francisco on united 979 and I had a onward connection on Lufthansa 457 to Frankfurt/Germany. I´ve checked all my luggage already in San Francisco so I didn't´t need to pick it up again in LAX.
once arrived in Germany and opened the luggage later on, I realised that one suitcase was ransacked and some items were missing. among other stuff, I´m missing my camera, some hats (don´t ask why they took those?!), an iPod and also a sweater (again: wonder why they took that kind of stuff?! - in fact, it wasn´t that cold in southern California).

so, I called Lufthansa airlines and they told me that I have to mail them a list with any items that are missing and also any information about my itinerary and all that kind of stuff. I also called the police and they told me that I have to fill out another report on monday.

so, I am just wondering, did anyone of you experienced something like that before? I am traveling to and from LAX on a regular basis but nothing like this happened before. in fact, I always carry the camera in onboard luggage but since I had limited space this time I had to put it in the luggage. well, don´t get me wrong but I would expect something like this while traveling through Bogota or Johannesburg but not through a us-airport??? or do I just have to high expectations on that?

I am also wondering if "they" can get something out of the luggage, they can also get something IN the luggage, right? hazmat or something even worse comes to mind. like a bomb or something. so, what kind of guys do the ground handling at LAX???? PLEASE, don´t get me wrong! I am NOT judging and I know not all of them are "bad" but hey, I miss stuff worth about $ 2,000.00 !!!!!!!!!

just a note on the side - I didn't find any note in there by TSA which said that my luggage had to be opened due to a security reason... so, you do the math!

thanks for your replies...

RELAX457

ikramerica

RE: Items Got Stolen Out Of My Suitcase @ LAX

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:31 am

Unfortunately, around the world and not just in the USA, putting expensive stuff in a suitcase is asking for it to be stolen.

Airline employees (or inspectors) seem to have iPod radar, too. I know two others who've had iPods taken from luggage the one time they decided to just check it.

I'm sorry for your loss, but LH will do nothing, at least that's the policy of most airlines.

Sad
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

NikonDFW

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Airline employees (or inspectors) seem to have iPod radar, too. I know two others who've had iPods taken from luggage the one time they decided to just check it.

I would file a complaint with United as well. Both TSA and UA handled your luggage at SFO, and UA again at LAX, and possibly a third party ground handler at LAX who transfers luggage between UA and LH at LAX...I don't think LH parks at the UA gates at LAX...Not sure...

APFPilot1985

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 am

If none of the airlines are willing to help you I would call KNBC or some other news channels and give them a sob story and see if they will help.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Arcrftlvr

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting NikonDFW (Reply 2):
I don't think LH parks at the UA gates at LAX...Not sure...

No, LH uses the gates at the TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal)

Quoting RELAX457 (Thread starter):
well, don´t get me wrong but I would expect something like this while traveling through Bogota or Johannesburg but not through a us-airport??? or do I just have to high expectations on that?

Same thing happened to a friend of mine at SEA who was flying on AS. AS told them that they are not responsible for items that are lost or stolen from checked baggae, as per their policy. So, it happens everywhere. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience...

RELAX457
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:33 am

...well, if they (LH) will bitch me - I´ll bitch them back! I don´t care about their policy. I am a paying passenger and I give a sh*t if they think they are responsible or not. in fact - they are responsible indeed. no matter how they think about it. you know the saying: don´t bite the hand that feeds you....

I´ll let you know how the saga continues...

nra-3b

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:47 am

I am a little puzzled. If you checked your bags in SFO and did not pick them up until you arrived at FRA, how do you deduce that the bags were pilfered at LAX? Your bags were inspected and possibly opened in SFO, transferred in Los Angeles, and off-loaded in FRA. This gives 3 distinct locations where the thefts could occur. I have had baggage pilfered in the past, and it turned out there was a baggage theft ring working for the contractor at my destination. ( I received no compensation.) I initially thought that the bags were broken into at my origin.
Anyhow, sorry to hear about your experience. I hope that this would be happening less and less, but then I am just an optimist.

Cheers,
Bob

ikramerica

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting RELAX457 (Reply 5):
I don´t care about their policy.

Then you shouldn't have bought a ticket with a contract of carriage that clearly states that, no matter how unfair, they are not responsible for ELECTRONICS in your luggage, including cameras, music players, etc., etc.

UA, DL, CO, AA, BA, VS, AF, etc., etc. all basically give their employees carte blanche to steal anything of this nature by this rule...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PanAm747

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:11 am

NEVER, under ANY circumstances, should you EVER put ANYTHING of value in your checked luggage.

In the fine print of the "Contract Of Carraige" it is specifically stated that airlines are not responsible for lost items in checked luggage. This is very sad, but since the airlines cannot and will not check every single item in every suitcase, they limit damage claims. Can you imagine what kind of fraudulent claims people would make trying to screw the airlines? "Uh...yeah...I lost several Rolex watches that I had in my checked luggage...yeah, um, they were all worth...um...yeah, $10,000 each. Yeah, I had five!!". Every airline would be out of business in less than a week.

It would be grossly unfair to say that "those (TSA or airline employee) goons will steal anything". The vast majority are hard working people. But in every business everywhere, there are people who can put aside the ten commandments and justify stealing from other people. Even in the days when you COULD lock your luggage, I myself had a suitcase broken into. When I picked up my suitcase from baggage claim, I discovered my lock had been cut off and a pair of candlesticks I had received as "free gift with purchase" were missing. Some moron probably has them on his mantle thinking they are priceless antiques, when in reality they are junk.

The moral of this story is this: Anything of personal value should be carried on with you. Electronic equipment, cameras, pictures, valuables - whatever - should NEVER leave your posession. If you have too much, you might want to consider mailing these things to yourself beforehand. A hassle, but MUCH more secure.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

luv2fly

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:12 am

Well remember the loudest squeak gets the oil.
You can cut the irony with a knife

eatmybologna

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:17 am

At ROC (Rochester's airport,) we are required to bring the suitcase to a baggage inspector, and then to a scanning machine. After that, the airline employee adheres tape to the handle indicating that the baggage is acceptable to load on the aircraft. Can’t we then, lock the up the bags?

Thanks,

E-M-B
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

N353SK

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 10):
At ROC (Rochester's airport,) we are required to bring the suitcase to a baggage inspector, and then to a scanning machine. After that, the airline employee adheres tape to the handle indicating that the baggage is acceptable to load on the aircraft. Can’t we then, lock the up the bags?

Thanks,

E-M-B

No. The airline and the TSA have full right to open and inspect anything before it goes onto the airplane. You can get the TSA approved locks and rampers won't be able to get your bags open (most common luggage thieves ) but TSA will.

laca773

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 3):
If none of the airlines are willing to help you I would call KNBC or some other news channels and give them a sob story and see if they will help.

APFPilot1985, I feel this isn't a sob story. It has happened to the best of us and it's completely unacceptable. Considering the amount of security screening and scrutiny we all have to endure, it sounds like they need to follow all airport/airline personnel much more closely and have them go through some sort of screening process when they come on and sign off of their shifts like they do at retail stores.
I think it's a great idea to contact KNBC or KCBS. They have great undercover stories & though it will take them sometime, they will get to the bottom of it.
Earlier this year or late last year, KCBS had a big expose on the LAXPD in regards to how they were not doing their job duties and when paged, they caught them in nice restraunts having long extended lunch breaks, getting there haircut, at by their kids toys at the likes of Toy-R-US.

Good luck Relax457. I hope you're able to get this resolved quickly.

LACA773

SA7700

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting RELAX457 (Thread starter):
don´t get me wrong but I would expect something like this while traveling through Bogota or Johannesburg but not through a us-airport???

Which is why SA now offers a complimentary baggage shrink wrap service at JNB...  Smile

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

n844aa

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 8):
Every airline would be out of business in less than a week.

Well, to be fair, they're all on track for that anyway.  Wink
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

eatmybologna

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 11):
TSA approved locks

Can you tell me where to get these?

Thanks,

E-M-B
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

Areopagus

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:38 am

I had the experience of a BA gate agent not allowing me to bring my carryon onto my connecting flight, on grounds that it was too big and too heavy. Actually, it was neither too big nor too heavy, and I had just had it with me on the same type of airplane (747) on the same airline. It had an expensive telescope inside. Don't tell me not to check it, for I had no choice. I feel that since BA forced me to check it, it would have been highly unfair of them to disclaim responsibility if they had let it be stolen.

flywithken

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 15):
TSA approved locks

Can you tell me where to get these?

I know Brookstone carries them. They have locations in many airports. Heres a link for you
http://www.brookstone.com/store/thum...=subcategory&cm_re=C*Luggage*Locks

n844aa

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Flywithken (Reply 17):
I know Brookstone carries them. They have locations in many airports. Heres a link for you
http://www.brookstone.com/store/thum...Locks

Thanks for the link. How do these work? Is the sole purpose of that keyhole on the bottom for keys distributed to the TSA?

Also, as an aside, these locks presuppose that it's not TSA employees that are involved in luggage theft... Personally I've been very happy with the federalization of airport security, but I understand other folks have had problems.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

Shenzhen

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:23 am

This type of thing happens a lot at LAX. If you fly one airline in, then transfer to another airline, your bags are subject to theft, as everyone will point their fingers at someone else.

The International carrier is the responsible party. In addition, you should be able to make a claim with your homeowners insurance.

This type of thing gets really bad around the Christmas Holidays, both before and after.

Cheers

SkyvanMan

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:05 am

I had video-games stolen from a checked bag in 2003 and since then when I travel with electronics I carry or ship ahead as much as possible. For example on my last trip I had only Clothes, a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard (minus the USB receiver, effectively making it useless), some random electronic cables with low resale values. I had two carry-ons, one of which weighed in around 40 pounds that included A CD case contianing between 500-1000 discs, PSP games in cases, a PS2 (slim version), two PS2 controllers, two external hard drives and power adaptors, a Sirius Satellite Radio Boombox for my radio, and a few other things like my firefox plushie and some hard to find magazines in addition to a box containing my cuff-links. That was jus tin one bag! I can only travel with just carry-ons on short trips since for the longer ones I take so many electronics. I fit everything that I noted above into a Tumi roller bag that fits in the overhead bins on most aircraft. I also carry a laptop backback contiang the more valuable cables (Proprietary cables, I-GO, etc), my spotting book, a 12 cd case, a psp, my D100 withj 300mm zoom, some magazines, medication...and....two laptops with accessories. As you can see it is possible to pack up a ton of valuable items into you're carryons and avoid having to worry aobut it being rummaged through by the baggage handlers. If you don't like to fly with heavy carry-ons you could also consider shipping the stuff with Fed-Ex Express in multiple shipments (it is actually not that expensive for the lighter weight stuff but for all the stuff I carry-on it would likely have cost a few hundred bucks cross country 2 day) so that you get the insurance coeverage on each package (don't even tryi wth the USPS!) but for that to work you have to make sure that everything that is breakable is carefully wrapped and bubbled well beyond what seems neccesary and that you lable the outside of the boxes fragile if they are super fragile (crystal for example).

Anywho that is all I have to say but mainly if you want to avoid having stuff stolen you can just take it with you. And one other much simpler thing to try is to take an inventory of everything in each bag (down to serial number) and make sure you can prove that it was in there and then if it doesn't come up and it isn't one of the things that is banned in checked-luggage then you would have a pretty good argument in trying to get the value of your item reimbursed.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

RELAX457
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:06 am

thanks a lot for your replies!

well, it is always the same with different kinds of policies all over the world and in any kind of business. the party who sets the policies wants to make the whole thing waterproof. the party on the other hand wants to get as much rights as possible. naturally it doesn´t go together that well. so, you can imagine where most of that ends up.

anyways, the carrier is -from my point of view (which might be wrong but I need to hear that by a judge)- responsible for the passengers AND their luggage. a service provider is always, and no matter what, responsible for anything they do or are providing. even if their policies says their not.

thank god we have that euopean law-thing going on about that passenger rights and everything. I don´t know all the details yet but I am sure I will find something about it. but first of all, we will see how this case is going on. I´ll let you all know....

another thing that I won´t accept is the right airlines are giving to their staff to feel free about doing what they want to do with the passengers baggage. I want to trust them since they are telling you, that you can.

it´s just like Shenzhen mentioned before: that type of thing happens a lot at LAX. that is exactly what I´ve heard numerous times. so, I am asking you - what´s wrong with that picture?

however, you all are still missing my point. what do you think about the fact that if they are able to get something out of the baggage they are also able to put something in there what doesn´t belong in there.... ?!?!

n844aa

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Shenzhen (Reply 19):
This type of thing gets really bad around the Christmas Holidays, both before and after.

Kind of sad to think about a baggage handler's kid getting a nice new iPod for Christmas -- one preloaded with music that's engraved with someone else's name.

Of course, surely part of the reason theft spikes around Christmas is sheer availability of shiny new electronic gadgets. Still, you have to figure at least some of those items wind up in the stocking of someone other than the original recipient.

PanAm747

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:22 am

Quote:
Kind of sad to think about a baggage handler's kid getting a nice new iPod for Christmas -- one preloaded with music that's engraved with someone else's name.

"Oooh, daddy, thank you for the new iPod!! But why is the name 'Ray' on it?"

"Because...err...ummm...well...uhh, you're my little 'Ray' of sunshine!!"

Couldn't resist.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

RELAX457
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 23):
"Oooh, daddy, thank you for the new iPod!! But why is the name 'Ray' on it?"

"Because...err...ummm...well...uhh, you're my little 'Ray' of sunshine!!"

Couldn't resist.

;o))))) very nice!

jwenting

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:09 am

I don´t care about their policy. I

You entered into a legally binding contract with them when you agreed to the terms of transportation.
So you're bound to those terms just as they are, and those terms state they're not responsible for luggage theft or damage over a specific (low!) amount and never for certain items (like electronics, optics, and jewelry).

Quoting N353SK (Reply 11):
You can get the TSA approved locks and rampers won't be able to get your bags open

There isn't a lock they can't open given a few minutes...
Most theft is by people with access to the X-ray machines anyway, to make it easier to select promising bags for closer "inspection", so having access to the keys to those locks would be just as easy as they'd have the security staff as accomplices.

Quoting RELAX457 (Reply 21):
thank god we have that euopean law-thing going on about that passenger rights and everything.

That covers only compensation in case of delays, preventing situations where airlines cancel flights that aren't full "enough" and leave passengers with nothing at all.
I wish I were flying

flyboy_se

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:42 am

its sad that it happened, but you should only transport clothes and toileteries in your checked baggage.All valuable items should be taken with you onboard.if you have too many then shipping is the best way to do it.
I dont think you will get any compensation, but its worth trying.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

Shenzhen

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 25):
You entered into a legally binding contract with them when you agreed to the terms of transportation.
So you're bound to those terms just as they are, and those terms state they're not responsible for luggage theft or damage over a specific (low!) amount and never for certain items (like electronics, optics, and jewelry).

Doubtful. Only a court can decide if there was a contract (certainly no signatures) and if said contract is even legal. My guess is a court would find that the airlines have certain obligations when accepting the bags for transport, regardless of what is says on the back of the ticket.

I certainly hope that the airline has a signature on the back of the ticket which shows the passenger even read it, let alone agreed to it.

cheers

mlsrar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 25):
There isn't a lock they can't open given a few minutes...

Yeah, I've officially deemed them useless after having them cut-off twice in MSP. I'm not sure if they were after my luggage contents (clothes only), or they were just too lazy to open it.

TSA locks are a joke.

Exercise preventative packing.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

iairallie

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:59 am

I never lock checked bags and I've never had anything stolen. Luggage keys are a dime a dozen and I think the locks just advertize that you have something worth stealing inside. I also do not check any valuables. If I can't fit it in my carryon I don't bring it or I ship it.

I agree with the post that asked how you knew it was LAX? It could have been any of the stations you transited through.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

MEACEDAR

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:01 am

well, if they (LH) will bitch me - I´ll bitch them back! I don´t care about their policy. I am a paying passenger and I give a sh*t if they think they are responsible or not. in fact - they are responsible indeed. no matter how they think about it. you know the saying: don´t bite the hand that feeds you....

Damn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep bitching......they will eventually reimburse you.

I was once flying from MCO-AMS on Martinair then AMS-BEY on KLM all the way. I had the same problem like you, no space. I put my camera and my portable printer and they both got stollen at AMS. I know it is AMS because II had to spend a night in AMS so I got my bags. Anyways, I opened my bags in AMS and the items were not there. In MCO, I watched by bags go into the scanning machine and onto the aircraft without anyone opening it, so I highly doubt that anyone opened it in MCO.

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 10):

That's how it is in MCO. You check your bags then you take it to the scanning machine.

LAXintl

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Shenzhen (Reply 19):
This type of thing happens a lot at LAX.

: that type of thing happens a lot at LAX. that is exactly what I´ve heard numerous times. so, I am asking you - what´s wrong with that picture?

Hey wait a minute here.

For starters, you dont have the slightest evidence that anything happened at LAX. Your bags chain of custody also involved folks in both SFO and FRA.

As far as Los Angeles, does baggage theft occur? Regretfully like every airport it does.
Does the LAX have an increased risk compared to other major international airports? No.
Keep in mind LAX handles, over 60 million passengers annually and only a very tiny percentage of passengers ever have problems related to theft.

Matter of fact, you can see this press release showing crime statistics at LAX. The airport has one of the lowest rates of incidents amongst US airports.
http://www.lawa.org/news/newsDisplay.cfm?newsID=673

So instead of making broad accusations about a specific airport, lets instead just say this was a regretfull incident that could have happened any where along your trip.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

rdwelch

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:23 am

Though it might be expensive to do internationally, I would FedEx the High Value items, rather than check them. Of course you'll have to use appropriate packing materials and insure the shipment if it is of exceptional value.

When ever I non-rev on particularly heavy loads, I'll FedEx my heaviest bag to my destination using my airline discount so it's already taken care of. You'll have to call the destination if it's a hotel to give them a heads up. As far as items of value, if you can't carry on, then ship. I'm of the guild that if it's important enough that it must go with me, then I'll leave it to the shipping companies that can at least insure your shipment and employ a tried and true "chain of custody" system (scanning).

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

hamster

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:40 pm

I would start by listing the lost items and their values and write to the pres/executive offices of Luftansa. Then they will responde and if it is a no, keep writing and calling those who responded. That could work. Also, a letter from a lawyer will help. May cost a few bucks but they dont want to go to court for 2k. Will cost more to defend themselves. I think if you play your cards right, you can collect something no matter what their "policy" states.

jorge1812

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Got several items stolen from my suitcase when flying LTU from PUJ to DUS in Jauary. Called LTU and had the same to do like you, in the end I got a cheque over 80 Euro I think - not worth the itmes but a good move by LTU.
LH/LT To DRS-DUS-PUJ-MBJ-DUS-DRS - Long! (by Jorge1812 Feb 21 2006 in Trip Reports)

Quoting Jorge1812 (Thread starter):
When we arrived at home I noticed that my flashlight, two necklaces, my perfume and the Olympus Batteries were missing. One necklace we found in my girlfriends suitcase but all other items remain lost. What a shame! The suitcases were secured with a lock each and the one of my girlfriend with a seal too which was untouched. Maybe some baggage handlers have stolen the items or just put them in the wrong suitcase when checking them again. I’m still waiting for the airline to deal with this issue.

Georg

RELAX457
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:19 pm

as for LAX:

that is the only place where they had a chance to do. I checked in at SFO one hour prior to departure and I doubt somebody took my baggage since they had a lot of work to do at that time since it seemed almost half of the bay area was about to fly somewhere to. but you´re right - I am not sure.

at LAX on the other hand they had about 5 hours time to take good care of my stuff - if you know what I mean.

FRA didn´t even had a chance to take it, since they have been also very busy at that time and I picked it very soon after landing.

as I said, I do not want to be prejudice but it all seems to be cristal clear. however, I look forward to hear anything by the airlines involved (I wrote to united as well since they were also involved) and will see what´s going to happen...

I will also write to lufthansa again and will let them know that I am very concerned about that fact that someone either among their staff or by TSA doesn´t do his/her job right and is able to get things out/into passengers baggage. if that is not a security risk then I don´t know what else to say....

maperrin

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:25 pm

How are we going to deal with this with new carry-on extreme limitations in Europe ?

Khalyavia

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:36 pm

I also lost an iPod from a checked bag on a United flight from SFO to ORD. There was a TSA note (from the private company at SFO who fills TSA's role)when I opened my bag, but no sign of the Pod. The United people in Chicago were rude and unhelpful beyond belief (and I'm a regular passenger on Aeroflot!). I filed a claim with TSA and they at least returned to me with a statement to the effect that they checked their video tapes, saw my bag being checked and saw the iPod being replaced. United essentially told me to go fly a kite (I might just do that, but you can guess what I WON'T be flying in the future).

Good luck!

YYCowboy

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:43 pm

I think you were correct in reporting the theft. Even if nothing comes of it, the airline, airlines or airport authority can spot a trend and in time hopefully correct the issue. I am interested in the locks approved by the TSA. I used to put on cheep locks, but not anymore. Passangers should think twice before taking things of value, is it realy needed. I'm trying to recall an incident, at LAX I believe, where a passanger had packed a distinctive mask or hat, probably from a costume. To his horror, he watched a ground crew member dancing around the tarmack with it on.

Good luck
Its hard to soar like an eagle when you're flying with turkeys

TheSorcerer

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:13 pm

Why did you have your Ipod in your suitcase?
I'd take mine on the plane to listen to during the flight.

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

RELAX457
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 39):
Why did you have your Ipod in your suitcase?
I'd take mine on the plane to listen to during the flight.

Dominic

well, the battery was low... that is why I put it in the luggage. besides of that it was an overnight flight and I can sleep pretty much everywhere so I don´t need anything to keep me awake. they also have an IFE where you can watch the latest (pretty much) movies and listen to different kinds of music - if you want to.

satx

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Personally, I think airlines will never fix this unless and until they're forced to address it by new rules that make them more accountable. People seem to understand that you can't trust tobacco companies and oil conglomerates to do the right thing on their own, but for most other markets people seem rather clueless to the fact that nothing will get done until the law favors consumers over business interests. At the moment nearly all laws are being re-written in the opposite direction, giving companies even less incentive to treat average customers right. People can come on here and tell you that you're an idiot for not reading the CoC, but in all honesty they know just as well as the rest of us that nearly all airlines are the same in this regard.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

WDBRR

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:56 pm

Let me add....every time I fly...there is something missing from my suitcase. I had a black army belt stolen, then on another trip I had surgical scissors stolen. nothing surprises me.

jetstar

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:21 am

When I travel and have to check luggage, instead of using the TSA locks on my luggage, I lock my luggage with nylon cable ties that I buy in bulk from Home Depot. They cost about .02 cents each and I just cut them off at the end of the trip with a nail clipper. I leave about a 1 inch diameter loop in the cable tie so I can tell if anyone was in my luggage. I have had my luggage inspected by the TSA and they replaced the cable tie with another but because they tightened in down much tighter I knew immediately when I got my luggage off the conveyor belt that my luggage had been opened. Before I leave the airport I open my luggage to make sure nothing had been taken, I do this so I can file a report with the airline right there at the airport if anything is missing.

So far I have had nothing taken from my luggage, but I do not pack anything of value in my luggage, I pack only clothes and toiletries. I also travel with a roller carry-on and an attaché case. I carry all my electronics and personal items on board with me and even have a spare set of underwear in my carry-on so if my luggage is misrouted or lost I have everything I need with me for at least one night, I can always go to a store and buy extra clothes if needed.

With the new relaxed restrictions on small quantities of liquids I carry the allowed amounts on board with me, you can go to any drug store and buy the trial size toothpaste and lotions which meet the restrictions, but in almost all hotels they will give you or you can buy a small tube of toothpaste and the other items that cannot be carried on board.

B777-700

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 3):

And the news will do zilch. Having worked for a network affiliate before, I can tell you that such reports from passengers are placed right into the round filing cabinet. There's just too many reports of this crap, and airline not compensating for delays, airlines not having meals...Passengers are abusing it. If it even got to a staff member, the first thing they're gonna see is the contract of carriage, that you agreed to, that said not to check valuables, and well, that's the end of it. There's no story here.

...well, if they (LH) will bitch me - I´ll bitch them back! I don´t care about their policy. I am a paying passenger and I give a sh*t if they think they are responsible or not. in fact - they are responsible indeed. no matter how they think about it. you know the saying: don´t bite the hand that feeds you....

And you have no proof that it was LH's fault. It was most likely the TSA, as they're the ones that open bags and see what's in them, and have on going problems w/ this kinda thing. With your attitude here, it's no wonder things like this happen to you.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 9):
Well remember the loudest squeak gets the oil.

You can get more flies w/ honey than you can with vinegar.  Yeah sure

anyways, the carrier is -from my point of view (which might be wrong but I need to hear that by a judge)- responsible for the passengers AND their luggage. a service provider is always, and no matter what, responsible for anything they do or are providing. even if their policies says their not.

No, they're not. Not in the US anymore. The airline takes no responsibility for the TSA. That's what's printed on your COC (eww that sounds dirty!  Wink ) and those words have legal precedent, so you in effect have already heard from a judge.

A lot of people need to realize that the airline isn't to blame for everything.

another thing that I won´t accept is the right airlines are giving to their staff to feel free about doing what they want to do with the passengers baggage.

Again, you blame your airline for something that prolly isn't their fault.

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 30):
Damn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep bitching......they will eventually reimburse you.

Haha, no they wont. But if you need to have a brain clot in the process, knock yourself out. This reeks of a TSA issue, but the bottomline is, unless he can prove it, nothing will come of it. I know how this works...lol

Quoting RELAX457 (Reply 35):
as for LAX:

that is the only place where they had a chance to do. I checked in at SFO one hour prior to departure and I doubt somebody took my baggage since they had a lot of work to do at that time since it seemed almost half of the bay area was about to fly somewhere to. but you�re right - I am not sure.

Well, SFO is where they would have opened it. That's where you got your TSA screening...But I guess that impossible, since they 'seemed busy'...lol

at LAX on the other hand they had about 5 hours time to take good care of my stuff - if you know what I mean.

And how do you know they didn't put it in a can and forget about it until departure time? You're so quick to blame LH...How do you know someone from another airline didn't get to your bags? How about a contractor? Airport staff?

FRA didn�t even had a chance to take it, since they have been also very busy at that time and I picked it very soon after landing.

Right, and I'm sure no one could have been on 'break' and have time to do that.

Look, all you're gonna get out of LH is some vouchers, if that. If you want reimbursement for your lost items, it's gonna have to go thru the TSA, and you're going to have to prove it, or now lawyer will take the case.

I'm sure you'll flame me for my brutal honesty here, but oh well.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

TPAnx

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 am

Sorry to hear about your loss. You might want to file a claim with the TSA, but IMHO, it probably will only result in finger-pointing between it, and the airlines..
Very good advice in the earlier posts. NEVER pack things of value in your checked luggage--and, at least on the outbound trip, pack some underwear and toiletries in your carryon so you can freshen up if your bag's lost. When we think of it..my wife and I pack some of each other's clothing in our bags, so if one bag's lost, we at least have some clothing.
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

ronerone

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 am

Something a bit similar happened to me .. but at JFK.

Last Thanksgiving, I was arriving from Dubai on EK 203, with an onward connection on DL to FLL. I had model airplanes packed in my suitcase, which raised TSA's suspicions at JFK and hence, they paged me and asked to check all my belongings. Sadly, After my EK flight i checked in my carry-on on the DL flight because i was tired. That carry-on had my digi-cam, and my portable DVD player (i was too tired to think wisely).

After they searched me for a good 30 minutes they cleared me, but when i got to FLL my digi-cam and my portable DVD were missing. I saw them pack them back in, but they never arrived with me  Sad

Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

jetstar

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:02 am

Besides what I have said in my previous post about not checking anything of value in my luggage, I also watch my luggage after I check it in at the counter until it is placed on the conveyor belt. At some airports like AA in LGA,, for flights other than to Florida, after check in you have to take your luggage over to the TSA luggage screening area where it is screened and an airport porter, not the TSA will take it over to the AA conveyor belt. I always wait until my luggage is screened and watch to make sure it is placed on the conveyor. For Florida flights the TSA screening takes place in the baggage sorting area after it is placed on the conveyor belt, but an airport porter takes the luggage from the check in counter and takes it over to another conveyor belt and again I watch to make sure the luggage is placed on the conveyor belt.

My wife’s niece and her husband this past February on their return trip from a golf vacation in PHX, they checked in their golf bags with their luggage at the US Air counter, then had to take it over to the TSA screening area in the lobby and walked away. When they retrieved their luggage in BOS both their golf bags were missing, which had high end golf clubs. After filing a complaint with US Air, they were reimbursed for $1500 each for the missing clubs because they had all the invoices for the golf equipment.

US Air investigated and it turned out that the golf clubs never made it past TSA screening because they were never scanned in to be sorted for their flight, it appears that they were taken from the lobby TSA screening area and possibly before the TSA had a chance to screen them by a theft ring that specializes in golf equipment. I do not know the layout at the US Air luggage screening area in PHX to know if the luggage is handled by an airport porter or is the luggage placed directly on a conveyor belt by the TSA so it is difficult to place the blame on anyone, but they heard that golf bag theft is a problem in PHX.

The morale of the story is to watch your luggage until it is out of your sight if luggage screening is done in the lobby or if anyone other than the check in agent handles your luggage.

777ER
Crew

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:05 am

It always pays to purchase a TSA approved lock. I used a few on my luggage in June. I also used a tell-tale plastic loop which clips onto your luggage and to open it you pull a little plastic cord. It has ID numbers on each one and when you first get your bags you check the ID numbers are still the same
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

BAE146QT

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:55 am

I know it sounds pessimistic, but I always take the view that nothing should be put into a suitcase that you can't afford to lose. When deciding whether to check an item or have it as carry-on, work on the assumption that you are never going to see your checked bags again.

Bags go adrift all the time for all sorts of reasons - not just theft. Additionally, this is the reason I always carry a change of clothes, (or socks, shirt, undercrackers at the very least) in my carry-on.

Of course I did grow up in FLA and usually flew out of MIA. You can draw your own inferences from that.

Quoting Mlsrar:
Exercise preventative packing.

I couldn't agree more.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos