Palladium
Topic Author

Garuda Plans To Close All Int'l Flight From Bali

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:06 pm

I just read on the local newspaper, it said that starting in March 2007, Garuda Indonesia will close and stop all of their international flights to/from Bali.

Yes, that means there will be no more Garuda flights from Australia directly to Bali.

The garuda vice president of sales executive said that this will help garuda to cut their cost and save money.

After March 2007, every passenger who wants to travel with Garuda to Bali must go via Jakarta.

To me:
This will bring down the number of tourists coming from Australia to Bali. It'll be ridiculous if you have to go to Jakarta first in order to get to Bali from Australia. Perhaps a chance for Qantas to add more direct flights to bali from Australia.

any comments?

anstar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting Palladium (Thread starter):
This will bring down the number of tourists coming from Australia to Bali. It'll be ridiculous if you have to go to Jakarta first in order to get to Bali from Australia. Perhaps a chance for Qantas to add more direct flights to bali from Australia

I'd expcet Jetstar to pick up the slack (If needed)

aussieindc

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:13 pm

Well Qantas and Jetstar would win big if that is the case.

For Garuda's sake, I hope they re-think their strategy.

HB-IWC

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:26 pm

There are issues pertaining to the future of the A333 fleet with Garuda. It is possible that the airline will not be able to hold on to this aircraft, and that Garuda will find itself with just 3 widebody aircraft. A number of destinations already got the axe or are about to get the axe, including Beijing, Adelaide, Auckland and Fukuoka, and more cutbacks are on the way. A number of B737s are also set to leave the active fleet and as Garuda cannot immediately find or pay for replacement aircraft drastic cutbacks have to be made.

mandala499

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Looks like the "lease recycling" has come at a bad time then... And unlikely that GA can find those 767s for a good price, I heard one went a few months ago in Europe for about 400k a month... while GA in the past was obliged to pay around 500k a month for each A333, but that amount is set to increase from the end of next month... Looks like Garuda's up for a big one again!  Sad

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

easyholiday

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:50 pm

Garuda axed their Beijing flight as of today. My dad's friend just called, he is now stranded in Beijing.

HB-IWC

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting Easyholiday (Reply 5):
Garuda axed their Beijing flight as of today. My dad's friend just called, he is now stranded in Beijing.

The cancelation of the Beijing services was decided almost three months ago, so it is kind of surprising that someone would be left stranded in PEK. Alternative arrangements have long been made for ticket holders on the route and range from accommodation on GA's Shanghai/Canton/Hongkong services to rebooking on MH. This was NOT an overnight decision.

planemanofnz

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 3):
A number of destinations already got the axe or are about to get the axe, including Beijing, Adelaide, Auckland and Fukuoka

Auckland is getting the axe? Since when has this been announced? I thought the AKL service was just breaking even and that they didn't want to leave AKL because they would have to give up their landing slots as they think AKL will recover in the next couple of years.

There are issues pertaining to the future of the A333 fleet with Garuda.

Well the fact of the matter is they need aircraft for AMS and maybe another european route. The 333 is ideal for this. Can the 738's make it to SYD, BNE e.t.c?

Very sad news indeed.

easyholiday

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 6):
The cancelation of the Beijing services was decided almost three months ago, so it is kind of surprising that someone would be left stranded in PEK. Alternative arrangements have long been made for ticket holders on the route and range from accommodation on GA's Shanghai/Canton/Hongkong services to rebooking on MH. This was NOT an overnight decision.

It's not suprising that people got stranded. The answer is because GA don't have the courtesy to inform the travel agency and travelling public before hand.
My friend own a travel agency here, and I have another at least 3 friends who are working for different big travel agency, none of them got any fax or email or letter from GA telling them when not to sell anymore seats to Beijing. Now they have lots of complains from departing and stranded returning pax.

COSPN

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:56 am

What about Japan ?? Could good news for CO's GUM-DPS, not doing so well

planemanofnz

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 9):
Could good news for CO's GUM-DPS, not doing so well

Yes, CO would be able to connect PAX from these flights to the routes to Japan and Taiwan with little competition. How often do CO fly into DPS and what aircraft do they use?

ZK-NBT

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):
Auckland is getting the axe? Since when has this been announced? I thought the AKL service was just breaking even and that they didn't want to leave AKL because they would have to give up their landing slots as they think AKL will recover in the next couple of years.

This was announced several weeks ago. Loads out of AKL are pretty average most of the time. Last flight is on November 18th.

Well the fact of the matter is they need aircraft for AMS and maybe another european route. The 333 is ideal for this. Can the 738's make it to SYD, BNE e.t.c?

They don't fly to AMS anymore, though there have been rumours of a return I can't see it now atleast in the near future. The 333 wouldn't make it anyway not even 1 stop. I doubt the 738's can make SYD, BNE from CGK.

malaysia

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Garuda is starting to sound like Varig
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

malaysia

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:15 pm

I tried to take CO once to DPS, not daily though and its a 737-800 by AirMike
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

777ER
Crew

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:36 pm

A number of destinations already got the axe or are about to get the axe, including Beijing, Adelaide, Auckland and Fukuoka

Yikes, this was announced weeks ago, there was a thread on here also about it.

Lufthansa

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:49 pm

This is the begging of the end

BUT a lot of serious travellers gave up on GA a long time ago anyway, and after the bali bombings a lot of ppl started holidaying in thailand insteand. I wouldn't be surprised to see SOME jetstar flights but don't expect anything like the frequencies GA used to put there. I think the demand is simply far greater from thailand now.

JAAlbert

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:00 pm

Is the decision based on lack of passenger traffic, perceived safety issues deterring travelers to Bali, or the failing economics of the airline??

How is travel to Bali since the various terror attacks?

I flew to Bali one week after the first terror attacks. I flew Cathay. The 747 from LAX to HNG had only 67 passengers -- I counted those of us in the departure lounge. Most were business class. I had the entire back of the 747 to myself. An amazing experience. The 777 from HNK to DPS had only 37 passengers. Painful for the airline, but an experience for me.

Loved the trip, the island was empty and i was treated like a rock star for coming.

Would go again in a heartbeat.

Australia1

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:13 pm

I think a 738 could operate DPS/BNE/DPS with a full load. Pax luggage might have to be restricted BNE/DPS, but we probably talking pax carrying very little, ie. board shorts/bikini, few t-shirts & pair of jeans !!!

If 738 could operate DPS/BNE then it could also operate BNE/AKL, (preserving their links to NZ) & other NZ ports.

Hell, we'd charter it across the Tasman if we could (not to AKL but to South Island) if they flew a 738 into BNE !!! Their crew costs would surely be a fraction of DJ, NZ, QF etc., so presumeably, charter prices would be good.

HB-IWC

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting EasyHoliday (Reply 8):
My friend own a travel agency here, and I have another at least 3 friends who are working for different big travel agency, none of them got any fax or email or letter from GA telling them when not to sell anymore seats to Beijing. Now they have lots of complains from departing and stranded returning pax.

The CGK-SIN-PEK flights have not been bookable ever since it was decided to stop the route, so what you say is simply not possible. The route was cancelled over two months ago, and at that time it was decided that it would continue until and including the first week of the northern winter schedule to allow for the increased travel during the end of ramadhan holiday week. From the moment decision was taken to cancel the flight, it was immediately lifted out of the reservation systems and it was impossible to still sell tickets for these flights. Passengers already booked and ticketed on the suspended flights were contacted individually by the airline inasfar as accurate contact details were available.

HB-IWC

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:23 pm

Well the fact of the matter is they need aircraft for AMS and maybe another european route.

Don't hold your breath for the resumption of Amsterdam services! The airline currently has other fish to fry. As I said before, the very future of the A333s in Garuda's fleet is in jeopardy and it is entirely possible that some, if not all of these frames will not stay in Garuda's active fleet.

Can the 738's make it to SYD, BNE e.t.c?

I guess they could make it, but what's the use with just two frames in the fleet, both of which are thoroughly used. Let's not even mention the abysmal one-class configuration in which these planes are operating.

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 11):
They don't fly to AMS anymore, though there have been rumours of a return I can't see it now atleast in the near future. The 333 wouldn't make it anyway not even 1 stop.

The A333 could perfectly fly to Amsterdam with one stop somewhere in the Middle East. As a matter of fact, Garuda has previously considered resuming AMS operations with A333 via AUH, but abolished the plan, amongst others because of the presence of Etihad, with its far superior product, on the CGK AUH route.

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 15):
I wouldn't be surprised to see SOME jetstar flights but don't expect anything like the frequencies GA used to put there. I think the demand is simply far greater from thailand now.

That is so true! Yields on just about every international route out of DPS are disastrous, and even the likes of CX and SQ are not exactly making money on their Bali operations. As such, the revival of Air Paradise is doubtful to say the least.

Australia1

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:55 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 19):
Can the 738's make it to SYD, BNE e.t.c?

I guess they could make it, but what's the use with just two frames in the fleet, both of which are thoroughly used. Let's not even mention the abysmal one-class configuration in which these planes are operating.

For flights to DPS, high density Y class is what is required, foer this leisure route !!!

HB-IWC

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 20):
For flights to DPS, high density Y class is what is required, foer this leisure route !!!

I don't think many passengers would be enchanted to get stuck in a B738 in charter configuration for their 6+ hours SYD DPS trip with a seat pitch in the 29" range...

Australia1

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 21):
I don't think many passengers would be enchanted to get stuck in a B738 in charter configuration for their 6+ hours SYD DPS trip with a seat pitch in the 29" range...

I disagree, the most important thing to the majority of DPS bound pax is price.

Maximum seating in a 738 is 189 (I think DJ have 180 & seat pitch of apporx 30 inches is fine) & if GA can't produce a seat at lower cost than JQ, there is something seriously wrong at GA !!!

From Boeing website, can have 184 at 30 inches. (page 49) below

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/737sec2.pdf

Ryanair!!!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:47 pm

This will be a very drastic change in operations for ther airline. Most international traffic for Garuda goes though DPS before continuing to CGK. On a good day, international traffic for the airline out of CGK is only a trickle at best.

With the threat of the A330 leaving the fleet, I am sure the remaining 744s will be put to good use on some high density routes (off hand, I can only think of SIN and DPS during the festive seasons).

This is really bad for the airlne. And to think that they came out of the disasterous crisis of 98 much leaner, only to be drained away by the Bali bombings and SARS.

When is the A330 leaving the fleet?
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Razza74

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Big blow for Bali,

Bali rieceives a great deal of it's tourists from Australia, many people I know go every year as it is cheaper than a holiday in Australia.

Current shedules show 9 flights a week PER - DPS with 738 equipment

It is going to be tough to fill the loss

Raza74
Ahh the joy of living under a flightpath

HB-IWC

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 22):
I disagree, the most important thing to the majority of DPS bound pax is price

The passenger feed back from Garuda's daily B738 operated DPS PER flight seems to disagree with you. The problem with these two frames (PK-GEE and PK-GEF) is that they are on a relatively short term lease from some Turkish charter company and that Garuda is not changing the cabin layout. There is actually a small business class demand on the PER route, but the aircraft is operated with this horrible one-class configuration. Passenger feed back has been far from desirable and it is possible that Garuda will once again deploy the B734s on the route. The problem there is that the 16-seat C-section is just too much for DPS PER.

malaysia

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:53 pm

Well GA may eventually go out of business...... oh well.

Like several airlines that have been around in Indonesia, but are gone or dying.

I dont have plans to go to Bali this time, but I guess I may go on Mandala or something to visit family in Manado.

Indonesia needs a good solid LCC carrier of its own. not some partnership scheme with Singapore or Malay investments.

An American owned airline in Indonesia, oh I am dreaming  Smile

thaia345

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:11 am

Well, I guess its not surprising it would come to this. However, may I make one point of GA's international fligths operating out of CGK instead of DPS. Good news for people like me who are based in CGK, as it saves time and the needless transit in DPS.

However, to add to that remark, even myself and many other Indonesian's do not even fly GA to international destinations. Highest load and 1st choice for Indonesians is of course SQ. FOr myself, my choice is ...well go figure based on my username. But for intra-SE Asia usually MH is my choice.

The only reason I use GA on domestic flights is that sadly they are the 'best' in Indonesia, and as I usually travel in business class, they are the only ones providing business class, but as for international trips, I am sad to say, I have to turn my back 100% from GA. Inflight comfort and entertainment...well...lets say even SQ/CX/MH and others are better 10 years ago than GA is now.

Xkorpyoh

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 am

It is sad to hear this.
I flew GA in Feb DPS-JOG-CGK and was very impressed with the service on those short flights. I made last minute changes and was able to board a flight 10minutes before departure, no charges. The FA were super friendly and profesional, the uniforms looked great. OVerall a very pleasant experience.
I flew to DPS from KUL and Air Asia and the flight was packed, so maybe GA is hurting from the LCC as well on the regional routes.
I felt very welcomed in Bali and can only remember smiles from people say hello everywhere. I feel like going back already. Never felt threaten or uneasy anywhere, so It is sad to see that tourist are not returning in masses like in the past.

baroque

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 am

It used to be a real pain taking GA to Jakarta from Syd to have to stop in Bali. So I assume that going to Bali via CGK would be an even bigger pain.

This seems a bit like the roundabout outside the Hotel Indonesia with its traffic lights in the roundabout.

All a great pity for Garuda cabin crew who are indeed super.

There are many strange patterns in Indonesian aviation. Such as being able to take a Merpati flight from Bandung only to Halim and not to CGK, and the only LCC into Bandung flies to Kuala Lumpur. So whatever GA does it would be a low level surprise. Expect the unexpected!

HB-IWC

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:39 am

Garuda has never been large enough to run a dual hub operation and it is about time that the international operations are centralized in CGK, the airline's homebase. For the kind of fares the airline is netting from DPS bound passengers, the passengers may as well make an additional stop at CGK, it won't matter. By concentrating international and widebody operations at CGK, the airline at least stands some chance to attract some business traffic, of which there is virtually none to and from DPS.

The problem, however, is that it remains unclear what kind of international operation Garuda will be able to run from its recentralized CGK hub. As I said, the future of the A333 is very much in doubt, because it seems the airline simply can no longer afford to hold on to these frames. Replacements seem to be hard to get by and at the end of the day Garuda may very well be stuck with just three B744 widebody frames.

Even the dwindling B737 fleet is becoming a problem. So far, 8 B737 frames have left the fleet this year (7 B734s and 1 B733) and none have joined the fleet. Garuda is desperately trying to source additional B738 frames but so far the airline has not been particularly successful. Many cutbacks in the domestic system have been made already and because of further 737 frames leaving the fleet, Garuda is now planning to reschedule its BKK operations so as to save one frame which is currently operating CGK-SIN-BKK-SIN-CGK, a daylight rotation which takes about a full day. This daylight operation will now be changed into an overnight nonstop operation as follows:

GA866 CGK BKK 2100 0030 - daily B734
GA867 BKK CGK 0130 0500 - daily B734

Obviously, this new schedule makes one additional B737 frame available for the airline's daylight operations, but Garuda is foolish to believe that this new BKK operation could possibly be a commercial success. No more SIN feed to the flight, and absolute horrible timings. The remedy seems just as bad as the disease...

I predict a further shrinking of the international network to include just RUH, JED, SIN, KUL, BKK, HKG, NRT, PER, SYD and MEL and a closure of the airline's own operations to DMM, PVG, CAN, KIX, NGO, ICN, and BNE.

Finally, for those interested, an overview of the B737s which have recently left that Garuda fleet:

1. B734 PK-GWV - April 2006 to Lion Air
2. B734 PK-GWW - March 2006 to Oceanair
3. B734 PK-GWX - May 2006 to Oceanair
4. B734 PK-GWY - April 2006 to Pacific Airlines
5. B734 PK-GWZ - June 2006 to Air One
6. B734 PK-GZF - March 2006 to Skynet Asia
7. B734 PK-GZG - March 2006 to Skynet Asia
8. B733 PK-GGS - September 2006 parked

9. B733 PK-GGX - left the fleet in 2004
10. B733 PK-GGY - left the fleet in 2004

COSPN

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:38 am

CO Flight is 737-800 2x per week before JAL started Bali flights CO flew 757's 4 to 5 x per week it Connects with the Japan flights both ways

HB-IWC

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 31):
CO Flight is 737-800 2x per week

... and according to their countrmanager here in Jakarta, the service is not doing as well as the airline would want it to do.

ZKNBX

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Aussieindc (Reply 2):
For Garuda's sake, I hope they re-think their strategy

Quoting Razza74 (Reply 24):
Big blow for Bali,

Yes and No re the above. Bali has proven itself to be very resilient, despite enormous difficulties. And there are alot of people who return to Bali frequently. I fly there twice a year, so I should know a thing or two. How many foreign tourists fly GA anyway? Most arrive on carriers like QF/Jetstar, SQ, TG, CX, JL, MH and KE. I think where GA and Bali could loose out the most, will be Japan - but JAL will no doubt pick up some of the slack.

GA has been in difficulty for a long time, long before the Bali bombings, due to corrupt and poor financial management. This has been their archilles heel and it won't change easily.

There are also several budding Indonesian carriers at present (not talking about Air Paradise), all updating their fleets, and if GA disappear, I am sure that others will move in - at least on local intra-Asian routes. We may also see - finally - the advent of intra-asian low cost carriers (from Sing and BKK) flying into DPS. At present, it is restricted to KUL-DPS on Air Asia.

Bali is unique - and tourists will continue to visit it. If GA aren't flying the passengers, then other carriers will. And I doubt most tourists will want to fly via CGK. I wouldn't if I could avoid it!

HB-IWC

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 33):
How many foreign tourists fly GA anyway?

Plenty, for the time being. Garuda's flights between DPS and KIX, NGO, ICN and PER and to a lesser extent SYD, MEL, BNE and even NRT are for a large part carrying tourists. Load factors are not the problem. The real problem is that these people are paying next to nothing for their airfare. Garuda's operation is too small to keep sustaining those losses.

ZKNBX

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:51 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 34):
flights between DPS and KIX, NGO, ICN

Yes - I agree that the Japan flights will be a loss to Bali, but I still believe that other options will open up before too long, because of the unique attraction of Bali as a destination. Too early to say where those flights will come from - whether an Indonesian airline or other carriers adjusting capacity.

COSPN

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:34 pm

HB-IWC

COrrect CO's DPS not doing so well but if they can pick up a few EX GA pax it will help, would be nice to get back to 3x a week

viasa

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 30):

2. B734 PK-GWW - March 2006 to Oceanair
3. B734 PK-GWX - May 2006 to Oceanair

Not Oceanair... it's Orenburg Airlines (Orenair)

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 30):
8. B733 PK-GGS - September 2006 parked

She would go to Sama Airlines.

HB-IWC

RE: Garuda Plans To Close All Int'l Flight From Bali

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Viasa (Reply 37):
Not Oceanair... it's Orenburg Airlines (Orenair)

I don't doubt for a moment that you are right. I, however, was reading the information from a Garuda memo. Not even that they can do right.

Ryanair!!!

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting Palladium (Thread starter):
just read on the local newspaper, it said that starting in March 2007, Garuda Indonesia will close and stop all of their international flights to/from Bali.

Hi there... is there a link to the article? Just spoke to my friend in JKT and he is understandably disturbed and he travels pretty frequently on GA. Plus he has heard nothing about this which I find it quite surprising as he works in the media.

HB-IWC

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 39):
is there a link to the article? Just spoke to my friend in JKT and he is understandably disturbed and he travels pretty frequently on GA. Plus he has heard nothing about this which I find it quite surprising as he works in the media

There is unlikely to be an official link to this news. Garuda Indonesia and Indonesian companies at large are not very strong at external communication. The recent or upcoming closure of the PEK, AKL, ADL and FUK have never been officially announced by the airline. But then again, the opening of new destinations also hardly ever gets any attention. It is still very much in Garuda's corporate culture to keep all strategic decisions as secretish as possible.

Ryanair!!!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:14 pm

You know... this thread set me thinking...

I am comparing the parallels between CGK/DPS and BKK/HKT. These 2 countries have a capital city and a major tourist island resort.

TG works very closely with TAT and thus have been pretty successful in promoting BKK, while not forgetting secondary hubs like HKT and CNX. But the focus has never shied away from maintaining BKK as the center for most international flights, with a selected few going direct to CNX and HKT.

Now lets look at GA with respect to Indonesia. While the tourism authorities have not been very active in promoting JKT as a destination in its own right, maybe they should start now. JKT has never been known to be a very tourist friendly city and is more business-like than anything else. Maybe it is time the airline join hands with the tourism department and really start to work rather thansit around all day dishing out surat-jalan, collecting undertable monies and drinking teh botol.

There is a lot more to JKT than what people think. Shopping, eating and more shopping! Promote Blok M, PS, PI, CITOS and a whole lot of other malls! Menteng, Kemang... cafes galore. Etc etc... geez... I wish I could go shake up the offices of these people.

thaia345

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 41):
There is a lot more to JKT than what people think. Shopping, eating and more shopping! Promote Blok M, PS, PI, CITOS and a whole lot of other malls! Menteng, Kemang... cafes galore. Etc etc... geez... I wish I could go shake up the offices of these people.

Yup...and don't forget Senayan City and the upcoming Grand Indonesia, and of coz not forgetting the many 5 star hotels in the capital Smile

There has always been a serious lack of the govt as a whole in promoting Jakarta into a favourable tourist destination, and...as a hub (After major refurbishing to the Soekarno-Hatta Airport of coz. Good news is , Air Transport safety directive came out a couple of months ago banning 737-200's 24 months from now  Smile ....yipppeeee

HB-IWC

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:35 pm

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 42):
Good news is , Air Transport safety directive came out a couple of months ago banning 737-200's 24 months from now ....yipppeeee

The banning of the B732s in Indonesia is tenuous at best. Not the aircraft but the operators' questionable maintenance and safety records are to blame for a spate of recent mishaps with the B732 at Indonesian domestic carriers. Do you really believe that everything in Indonesian aviation will be happy and gay once the B732s have left the scene? The same airlines who for years have been mismanaging their B732 fleets will now start doing exactly the same thing with whatever aircraft will be chosen as its replacement. Typically Indonesia... let's blame Boeing and the B732 for our own shortcomings - after all, they are foreigners, and it's easier to blame them than admit our own faillures.

aa1818

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:52 pm

Will Garuda keep the 787 order or cancel it now that they are stopping Int'l flights???

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

malaysia

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 am

I sure get awesome Airline discounts at Ibis hotels, they may not be the highest stars in Indonesia, but nothing beats getting 4 nights for just 400,000 RP  Smile at Ibis hotels around Indonesia and some Mercure hotels. it pays off not just my standby ticket there.

Australia1

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Thursday, 9 November 2006
Garuda announces boost in services to Western Australia

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp?id=58086&nav=2

Garuda Indonesia is to increase its capacity to Bali and Jakarta by more than 50 per cent from December 10 and offer improved connectivity to destinations throughout Asia.

Daily direct flights from Perth to the Indonesian capital from that date will complement existing daily direct flights to Denpasar, says Rob Moro, WA Sales Manager of Garuda Indonesia.

The daily Jakarta and Bali flights – all operated by the latest Boeing 737-800s New Generation aircraft - bring total Garuda Indonesia’s weekly seating capacity to Indonesia to 2352 and provide huge benefits to local travelers, says Mr Moro.

“The daily direct flights to Jakarta will give our booming Perth market connectivity via Jakarta to destinations such as Thailand, Japan, China and Singapore.

“This will benefit both the expanding number of business travelers operating throughout the region as well as offering new options to holidaymakers wanting to combine Indonesian destinations, including Bali, with the Asia-Pacific network served by Garuda Indonesia from its Jakarta hub.

“A further benefit is that the expanded Jakarta flights connect readily with Bali so we can also ease any shortage of seats over peak periods by offering this alternative for virtually the same price,” he said.

Effective December 10 Garuda Indonesia will operate the following services, in local times:

Daily
GA727 Perth-Denpasar 0800 – 1135 ( as current)
GA726 Denpasar-Perth 1240 – 1620 (revised timings)
Note: This flight will turn around in Bali, providing holiday makers with a convenient arrival time in Australia at the end of their holiday

Daily (new services)

GA731 Perth-Jakarta 1720 – 2045
GA730 Jakarta-Perth 0115 – 0630

Introduction of the all-economy 168-seat Boeing 737-800 on the Jakarta route will mean that Executive (business) class is no longer offered from Perth to either Jakarta or Denpasar, says Mr Moro. However, the added capacity, better connectivity and convenient daily travel times would be a huge positive for travelers from Western Australia.

“Not only is Bali coming back in a big way as a tourist destination for WA, but also the State’s business and leisure travel is expanding greatly throughout the Asia-Pacific as the booming WA economy leads the way to engagement with our neighbours,” he said.

“Never has travel to destinations including Bali and beyond been more accessible or affordable.”

Source = Garuda Indonesia

Ryanair!!!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Wait a minute... is this info valid till March 2007 when ALL INT'L FLIGHTS to and from DPS will be cancelled?

HB-IWC

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 46):
Garuda Indonesia is to increase its capacity to Bali and Jakarta by more than 50 per cent from December 10 and offer improved connectivity to destinations throughout Asia.

Daily direct flights from Perth to the Indonesian capital from that date will complement existing daily direct flights to Denpasar, says Rob Moro, WA Sales Manager of Garuda Indonesia

The setup of this fits in Garuda's strategy to increase utilization of the B737 fleet by adding overnight sectors, and although it represents a considerable increase in service over the current 9 weekly offerings between Denpasar and Bali, Garuda has previously operated twice daily services on the route.

The schedules for the route are, however ill-chosen, and given the current market conditions the CGK-PER-CGK flights have failure written all over them. Also the statement pertaining to increased connectivity makes little or no sense as I don't see where the increased connectivity is going to be established.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 47):
Wait a minute... is this info valid till March 2007 when ALL INT'L FLIGHTS to and from DPS will be cancelled?

The suspension of all international service to and from Bali from next year pertains to the widebody services. It is likely that Garuda will keep service to Perth and Singapore alive at DPS.

ZKNBX

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:50 pm

SUSPENSION OF ALL WIDEBODY SERVICE from DPS... makes a lot more sense indeed, than a total suspension of service. GA will be able to maintain service to SIN, KUL, BKK and PER from DPS.... The problem I have with all this, is that it just doesn't make sense - given the east west orientation of Bali and Jakarta, for Australasian passengers (excl. Perth) to fly all the way west to Jakarta, and then have to double back to DPS. To a lesser extent, the same problem affects service to and from Japan and Korea and Taiwan. So GA will be surrendering much of their long haul traffic.... to and from DPS. Sounds like GA are getting out of long haul altogether.