CaptSkibi
Topic Author

6 Hours To Transit DEL

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:23 am

I've got 6 hours to transit DEL, no Indian visa, and transferring from Air India to American Airlines for the flight home.

Is the international arrivals area the same as the international departures area, or will I be confined to a transit lounge until boarding time? If I am not confined, is there a shopping area? I broke my noise cancelling headset.  banghead 

Will I be able to get into an airline lounge with my NWA WorldClubs membership?

Travel agent said I wouldn't need one, but I just found the DEL airport website. It says I may be able to purchase a temporary landing permit for someone with confirmed onward travel within 72 hours for $40 USD.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

kiramakora

RE: 6 Hours To Transit DEL

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting CaptSkibi (Thread starter):
If I am not confined, is there a shopping area?

Haha. I think you are in for quite the shock. On a positive side, enjoy the ability to watch people, soak in the culture, etc. This old-style airport will not remain the same for long.

Quoting CaptSkibi (Thread starter):
Will I be able to get into an airline lounge with my NWA WorldClubs membership?

Same rules apply anywhere in the world. Only in India, your charm and good-looks (if you have either) might be able to break the law.

Enjoy DEL.

utapao

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:40 am

Where are you arriving from? Is your connecton international-to-international? The international terminal is not really very large. The only thing I remember in the area AA/CO/TG and others depart from is a tiny coffee bar. Everything like shops, snack bars, etc., is on the non-secure side. I don't recall any lounges on airside, but I could be wrong.

While $40 is ridiculous, I would pay it for a six-hour layover.

Getting through Security at the time CO and AA and others depart can take a VERY long time. Allow yourself enough time to get through.
Sawasdee khrab!

CaptSkibi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 am

Yes, my connection is international to international. I'm also meeting up with a co-worker who is coming from the landside (being in Delhi for a few days). $40 is still cheaper than getting a real Indian visa like we originally thought we might have to for myself.

It's been over 3 years since I was in that airport, but I hardly remember a thing. I was just so eager to get going home and not feeling all that well, that I don't think I paid much attention.

My question about an airline lounge is more about if an airline lounge is present that I could try to get into.

Thanks again!
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL