jimyvr

UA DEN-NRT Is Likely To Be Launched

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:21 pm

During the inaguration of UNITED's Washington - Tokyo nonstop press conference held on 26OCT, UNITED's executive managements briefly mentioned some of the plans in Japan:

*Looking forward to increase Business and leisure travellers on IAD-NRT
*With additional nonstop flights to Asia, Feeding route out of NRT to Seoul and Taipei is being reviewed
*Insist the importance of NRT hub despite launch and resurrect nonstop Asian routes outside Japan, due to importance of ANA^
*Denver (- Tokyo) nonstop flight has high possibility, but depends on aircrafts
*New F/C class seat rolls out in 2007

Excerpt from 27OCT06 Wings Daily in Japanese

Quote:
UAL、ワシントンDC就航はハブ強化の一環
 シュワブ副社長、ビジネス・レジャー両面に期待
 直行便開設で仁川・台北フィーダー路線を再検討
 成田ハブ堅持、ANAの重要性示す
 デンバー直行便「可能性高い」も機材がネック
 FCクラスの新座席、来年から導入

^additional details was explained in Travelvision. Despite UNITED now have nonstop flights to Shanghai and Beijing, ANA offers 2ndary cities to China out of Tokyo like Tianjin, Xiamen, Hangzhou...where UNITED is unlikely to serve and using Air China or Shanghai Airlines sometimes may not be the quickest option.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

gigneil

RE: UA DEN-NRT Is Likely To Be Launched

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Jimyvr (Thread starter):

I would fully expect this to be a 787 route (or A350, I guess, depends on the tides).

I don't think they have enough 777s right now to do this.

NS

mariner

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Good for them, if they do. It would make Denver International Airport very, very happy.

They've been pushing for this for years.

Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

ZKNBX

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Finally... this has been an opportunity for some time now.. Do UA T7s have the range DEN-NRT? I think they do...

notdownnlocked

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:54 pm

I hope this flight will happen so it will be a good replacement for the long lost KE flights to Asia that happened once upon a time a long time ago.

SFORunner

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 1):

One could suggest that UA's SEA - NRT is an endangered species ... although UA seems to have built a successful non-hub niche there.

But hey, you coulda said the same about UA's JFK - NRT as well eh?

And yes, once upon a time the same 3 class 777 used from SEA - NRT originated / continued onto DEN.

centrair

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:42 pm

I've heard rumors of several routes that could be launched. DEN-NRT was one and the other ORD-NGO (Not too confident about that one.)

How many 777s does UA have available?
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

mymiles2go

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:37 am

Until they ax a different route it's not going to happen. Simple aircraft availability issues.

airfrnt

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Mymiles2go (Reply 7):
Until they ax a different route it's not going to happen. Simple aircraft availability issues.

Remember that UA has some metal in the desert as well.

jfk777

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 am

Denver to Tokyo sounds great to talk about but how many people travel from Colorado to Japan ? Not many. Seems there are better uses for the 777 diverted from another UA route.

airfrnt

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting SFORunner (Reply 5):

One could suggest that UA's SEA - NRT is an endangered species ... although UA seems to have built a successful non-hub niche there.

UA would be stupid to touch a route that is profitable for them internationally right now.

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 9):
Denver to Tokyo sounds great to talk about but how many people travel from Colorado to Japan ? Not many. Seems there are better uses for the 777 diverted from another UA route.

Gee. It's not like Denver is one of the top five hubs in the USA, it's not like there is a sizable japanese community in DEn, it's not like F9 is making a fortune building the international route system that UA decided not to build here, and it's not like there is a very large technology, telecom and startup corridor here that attracts lot of international traffic. It's also not that DEN is UA's primary transit hub and their most efficient hub.

UA made the choice a while agao that they were going to focus on DEN just being transit internal to the US (which makes a lot of sense given that it has just about the perfect location for a national hub) and preserve international at JFK, SFO, and ORD only. Given that international routes are now the only routes that are really making money for the legacies, and how well BA has done (without any alliance traffic) and LH has done (with alliance traffic) UA (correctly, imho) realizes that if they don't launch DEN-NRT, ANA or JAL will.

Stitch

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:03 am

Yup. The station folks I chat with note Business and First do pretty well in terms of paid pax (though volume remains in the middle) and during the baseball season, the Japanese tour groups sell out the back.

DEN-SEA-NRT-SEA-DEN makes more sense to me from an aircraft utilization angle. I imagine DEN traffic also supports the SFO-NRT flights in addition to SEA-NRT, so launching a DEN non-stop could cause one or more of the SFO-NRT 744s to down-gauge to a 777 in addition to pulling the SEA-NRT run. It's easy enough to "back-track" to DEN from SEA, but I'd miss the fantastic crews on UA875 and UA876 and would probably push my business to NW since I can fly direct on the A330 (instead of a 744 via SFO) and just credit to my AS account (MVPG even faster!).

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:14 am

Only how many years since Denver built the 16,000 foot runway?

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 1):

They do if they make shrewd aircraft moves.

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 3):
Do UA T7s have the range DEN-NRT? I think they do...

They didn't until the 16,000 foot runway was built at DEN.

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 8):
Remember that UA has some metal in the desert as well.

Not really anymore.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fxramper

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):

They do if they make shrewd aircraft moves.

...or get a few 787 frames.  Wink

Right now, this route sounds like a pipe dream, they don't wanna fly JFK, and they have IAD, SFO, LAX, and SEA.  confused 

I''ve yet to see any numbers to warrant a flight to Japan from DEN. Please advise!  yes 

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 13):
Right now, this route sounds like a pipe dream, they don't wanna fly JFK, and they have IAD, SFO, LAX, and SEA.

You left out ORD. United's dropping of JFK-NRT had more to do with the fact that their dropping of JFK-LHR meant that they would essentially have to dedicate 2 777s to the station that wasn't getting anything going the other way to increase utilization and efficiency and keeping a hub from having a flight to their strongest international station. DEN, on the other hand, is a United hub that allows them massive amounts of connecting feed as well as pretty strong and high yielding O&D. Remember that domestically, DEN is much stronger for UA than SFO or LAX, meaning that they can gear up connecting chances out of the airport.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fxramper

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
DEN is much stronger for UA than SFO or LAX

Would love to see it work for them!  yes 

Bring on the 787s.

briguy1974

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:06 am

The current SEA flight aircraft is routed NRT-SEA-DEN-ORD-SEA-NRT. This route is very profitable and will remain with UA for the time being. DEN-NRT would be a great way to feed all the midwest and eastcoast traffic through DEN onto NRT.

gigneil

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
Only how many years since Denver built the 16,000 foot runway?

Heh, 2?

NS

MEACEDAR

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:29 am

Agreed. Maybe a MCO-NRT because MCO does have a descent amount of Asian population. Usually people who want to go to NRT are connected in LAX. This might not be a daily flight maybe 3x per week. Can a UA 777 do that route, maybe?

MCOGVADCA

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:30 am

I'd love to see MCO-NRT happen, unfortunately, however, its in all likelihood wishful thinking...anyone who has been to MCO at the United counter at 7 in the morning for the SFO/LAX flights knows the loads are there (hundreds of Japanese tourists returning to good ole Nippon), but im skeptical that such a route would yield the amount of cashmoney that would warrant UA launching a nonstop, especially given their lack of aircraft and the lack of any meaningful connections whatsoever on the Otown end.

As for DEN-NRT, where would the slot come from? the theoretical discontinuation of SEA-NRT?
12 months: mdl heh rgn kmg nng sha gmp icn can pvg sfo mco lwc sin dps cdg gva

SLCUT2777

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
DEN, on the other hand, is a United hub that allows them massive amounts of connecting feed as well as pretty strong and high yielding O&D. Remember that domestically, DEN is much stronger for UA than SFO or LAX, meaning that they can gear up connecting chances out of the airport.

UA doing a DEN-NRT flight makes much more sense than DL doing a SLC-CDG flight, at least on paper. I'll make a few comparisons;
-DEN has nearly double the number of O&D passengers that SLC has, as well as being nearly double in population in catchment area served.
-DEN has more mainline flights on UA to markets beyond and further east...greater connectivity numbers. Despite DL's claims they are a bigger hub at SLC (more CRJ's?)
-DEN has been MUCH more willing to spend the capitol on their airport, adding a lengthy 16,000' runway, whereas SLC has done NOTHING with their airport but fire a recently hired airport director who told the truth.
Now that they are past BK, UA should start to look at utilizing their DEN hub in an aggressive way since it offers the most growth potential both domestically and internationally for them.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

JumboBumbo

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 10):
Given that international routes are now the only routes that are really making money for the legacies, and how well BA has done (without any alliance traffic) and LH has done (with alliance traffic) UA (correctly, imho) realizes that if they don't launch DEN-NRT, ANA or JAL will.

I believe that ANA has already expressed interest in opening DEN as well as YUL when they take deliveries of their 787s. IMHO, UA's move (edit:would) seem to make sense as they could complement an ANA DEN-NRT flight with more capacity seasonally, as UA did (does?) with FRA and LH.

[Edited 2006-11-05 20:34:59]

gigneil

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 20):
UA doing a DEN-NRT flight makes much more sense than DL doing a SLC-CDG flight, at least on paper

Depends on the paper.

CDG provides FAR more onward connections and, generally, Americans travel more to Europe and v.v. than Asia. Paris has more business ties to the US.

I don't believe SLC, the market itself, to be of any value. But all of the connections from SLC tied with the connections from CDG may be enough to power such a flight.

That's all in theory. I believe in execution DEN-NRT will be more successful than SLC-CDG will be.

NS

SLCUT2777

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 22):
I don't believe SLC, the market itself, to be of any value. But all of the connections from SLC tied with the connections from CDG may be enough to power such a flight.

The value of SLC compared to say DEN and PHX isn't that great, even though it is likewise growing substantially making it better than one of the "rust-belt" or "Once upon a time" hubs like PIT. The connectivity point is to be taken well however. SLC is best served internationally by ORIGINATING a flight to Europe; CDG, LGW, FRA, from JFK than flying directly from SLC. Same with Asia through LAX, originate the flight @SLC then make the bigger money stop in LAX. Some have suggested that DEN is better served by being similarly doubled with SEA. DEN is large enough to stand alone now in such a venture should UA wish to try it is my point, with SLC not quite having the numbers to do it.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

wingnutmn

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:20 am

Playing devil's advocate here, but what if NW went into Denver and placed one of their first 787's on a DEN-NRT route to spite UA. UA doesn't really have any assets to put on the route, and NW will be the US launch customer for the 787's. How much would that suck for UA!

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

kiwiandrew

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting WingnutMN (Reply 24):
Playing devil's advocate here, but what if NW went into Denver and placed one of their first 787's on a DEN-NRT route to spite UA.

... and in your opinion NW finances are such that they could afford to operate a route purely to spite a competitor whether they make money or not ?

I suspect UA might have a hard time making a DEN-NRT work even with having feed at both ends of the route . NW's feed would only be from NRT .
NW probably stand more chance of filling NRT-MEM with Japanese Elvis impersonators than they do of making NRT-DEN work

supa7E7

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:38 am

laying devil's advocate here, but what if NW went into Denver and placed one of their first 787's on a DEN-NRT route to spite UA. UA doesn't really have any assets to put on the route, and NW will be the US launch customer for the 787's. How much would that suck for UA!

Sigh. DEN-NRT for NW would be pretty weak.

DEN-NRT for United however would be similar to MSP-NRT on NW. This is a strong, proven concept to say the least.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

manny

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:45 am

UA treats DEN like the bast**d child of all UA hubs. I doubt it happens, but if it does it would be successful.

Denver to Tokyo sounds great to talk about but how many people travel from Colorado to Japan ? Not many

LH flies into DEN with a B744 for most part of the year & A346 for about 3 months during winter. I have taken this flight multiple times on both the B744 & A346. And those flights have excellent loads in all classes. I do not think there are enough people who travel between Colorado & Germany. But the fact that UA has a hub at Denver which can provide a great feed will make this flight successful.

DC10extender

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:29 am

I think that Denver is in need of more International routes with UA. They have the least of all the UA hubs without a doubt.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

rwsea

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Manny (Reply 27):
UA treats DEN like the bast**d child of all UA hubs. I doubt it happens, but if it does it would be successful.

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 28):
I think that Denver is in need of more International routes with UA. They have the least of all the UA hubs without a doubt.

There's no doubt that DEN could fill many more International flights given the large UA hub there. Problem is that most of this would be low yield traffic. Passengers in the cities with the most demand (LAX, SFO, SEA, PHX, LAS) already have other options to Europe and Asia, and they'd likely pay a premium for these services over backtracking through Denver.

IAD, ORD, SFO, and LAX can generate significant traffic on their own, and the connecting traffic is just icing on the cake. DEN would be almost all connecting.

But hey, you coulda said the same about UA's JFK - NRT as well eh?

And yes, once upon a time the same 3 class 777 used from SEA - NRT originated / continued onto DEN.

Still does. I've taken the SEA-DEN segment before on the 777 - it's great to be on an Internationally configured plane for such a short trip. When I took it last (in January), there were plenty of connecting Japanese pax who seemed to be going to Colorado for skiing.

That said, UA does well on their SEA-NRT route in terms of business pax and leisure in the summer. It's also successful because it provide passengers in SEA with an easy way to get to Southeast Asia, which is difficult on other carriers (NW being the exception). NW does very well on this route, and is rumored to be going 2x daily in the future. If UA dropped it, NW would go 2x daily immediately, and it's likely a foreign carrier would fill the void. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

DIA

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:44 am

I've been saying it for years. IF UA doesn't start this route...I'd imagine somebody else will...namely ANA (they'd pull Star Alliance pax)...just like LH does.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

Carpethead

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting MCOGVADCA (Reply 19):
As for DEN-NRT, where would the slot come from? the theoretical discontinuation of SEA-NRT?

They could easily do another daily or two of US mainland to NRT routes/frequency. NRT-ICN is flown twice daily with the NRT-ICN route flown by two 777s departing within an hour of each other, so one of the flights can be axed to make way for NRT-DEN. UA still has wiggle room to axe some fifth freedom routes to Asia like NRT-TPE. NH has even started flights that leave Asian destinations in the morning, so UA could forego such routes as NRT-BKK & NRT-SIN should the need arise.

United_fan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:04 am

I noticed that IAD now has NH & UA doing flights to NRT. Is there really enough to fill a NH773 and a UA 772 daily ? I think DEN-NRT would work if there aren't weight penalties or altitude problems.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

unitednrt

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 32):
I noticed that IAD now has NH & UA doing flights to NRT. Is there really enough to fill a NH773 and a UA 772 daily ?

Yes there is through synergies of the IAD hub and the NRT hub.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

OA412
Crew

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 20):
SLC has done NOTHING with their airport but fire a recently hired airport director who told the truth.

Not to go OT here but the problems ran far, far deeper than that. From what I have been told from those with personal experience in the matter, there were many serious and legitimate issues that led to his termination.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

b6sea

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:51 am

I couldn't see the SEA-NRT route being canceled. It's too much of a cash cow for UA right now. Getting rid of this route would not only piss off local businesses (Microsoft, Starbucks, Boeing, etc...) who have people flying between Seattle and Tokyo everyday, but it would give NW and thus Skyteam a monopoly over the route and business traffic. If UA were to start a route from DEN-NRT and risk dropping the SEA-NRT route, then they would likely get a commitment from ANA to begin the former, which won't happen because the Japanese airlines seem to favor NGO-SEA for a new route at this point. It's too important of a route to jeapordize let alone the potential impact on SFO traffic. I think UA's NRT operations from the west coast are as good as they're gonna get in the near future... Now, east coast is a completely different story.

-Chans
'

christao17

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 31):
so UA could forego such routes as NRT-BKK & NRT-SIN should the need arise.

Considering that UA just went to the effort of opening up (actually, re-opening) regional flight attendant bases in SIN and BKK, I doubt they'd drop those routes. In fact, as of last week, UA realigned the flight numbers from NRT-BKK so that the flight is now advertised here as a 1-stop from BKK to IAD.
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...

airfrnt

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am

One last thing to remember is that UA has made a number of agreements with the city of Denver re boosting the number of passengers in Denver in exchange for Denver forgiving debt, and building the new CRJ terminal.

mav75

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:54 am

One thing I don't understand is that people don't seem to be mentioning the possibility of using 744's out of DEN for NRT, especially if 777's are as scarce as I am led to believe by reading this thread. I would think you'd have better hot and high performance with the 744 than you would with the 777. I think some people are also questioning whether the 777 has the range to do DEN-NRT. I would say absolutely yes. UA and ANA use 777's from IAD and CO uses a 777 from IAH. But if payload hits are an issue due to the altitude, then again...why not use 744's?

SkyWest700

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Mav75 (Reply 38):
why not use 744's?

I agree with the use of the 744's. If i remember correctly UA still has atleast one in the desert they can bring back into service. Denver has a high population of asians and i think a 744 would fill up nicely with connecting traffic.

United777atGU

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:49 pm

You think DEN is bad. Come to IAD, buddy. Then you'll have something to complain about. At least UA has said that DEN is for domestic only. We're the bastard child, @ IAD and will always be. It's pitiful. Words can't express how we feel...LOL

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 32):
I noticed that IAD now has NH & UA doing flights to NRT. Is there really enough to fill a NH773 and a UA 772 daily ? I think DEN-NRT would work if there aren't weight penalties or altitude problems.

I thought the same. But it seems that they complement each other very well, let's just leave it like that. I check my flights to see what how they do  Smile

But if payload hits are an issue due to the altitude, then again...why not use 744's?

I remember someone saying in another thread that UA is handcuffed with respect to the 744s. They're tied up in Asia and the 2 non-stop Frankfurt flights, SFO/IAD-FRA-SFO/IAD.

Honestly, folks, I'm not interested in expanding to Asia so much. I mean, expansion is always good, and I'm glad we're a dominant player somewhere, but if we get the IAD-PEK (if, yes, if everyone) authority, can we please focus on something else. South America, anyone? I'd like to become what we once were known for: "Worldwide Service." I know that we are close to non-existent in South America, but that doesn't mean that we can't do some intense research and figure out what to do. I know this is a pipedream, I know. I just wanted to throw that out there. Maybe we can do South America from the LAX, SFO, and DEN since the east coast so tied up with AA, CO, and DL, but ONLY when we get some new planes. We can't do any experimental expanding since we barely have the equipment to do hardly anything now. Well, I guess I just explained why we stay in money-making Asia, 'eh?
Speechless

manny

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting United777atGU (Reply 40):
You think DEN is bad. Come to IAD, buddy. Then you'll have something to complain about. At least UA has said that DEN is for domestic only. We're the bastard child, @ IAD and will always be. It's pitiful.

Where did UA say that DEN is domestic only ? Any links.
If thats the case, why are they thinking about DEN-NRT ?

I dunno how you can say IAD is worse off, atleast as far as international flights are concerned.

baw716

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:34 pm

If UA were to pull down SEA-NRT, it would have implications for UA far beyond SEA itself. Aside from losing a valuable international route, UA's presence in Seattle would be dessimated. UA faces incredible competition from NW to both Asia and Europe, and with NW/DL/CO having close ties with AS, the loss of the SEA-NRT route would force those passengers onto NW, which will cause the market to shift away from UA in other markets. This will have a cascading effect that will cost UA millions in revenue in the Pacific Northwest and I cannot believe that UA would, in essence, give up the Pacific Northwest to move the SEA-NRT flight to DEN.

It's far less expensive to lease another aircraft...or pull down another 777 route which is not profitable (SEA-NRT is profitable for UA).

I've been critical of United for some of their strategic decisions; but they are not that dumb.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

gigneil

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:36 pm

UA doesn't really have any assets to put on the route, and NW will be the US launch customer for the 787's. How much would that suck for UA!

Glenn Tilton would produce 2 shiny new 777s directly from his ass and they'd be on DEN-NRT the next day.

NS

United777atGU

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting Manny (Reply 41):
Quoting United777atGU (Reply 40):You think DEN is bad. Come to IAD, buddy. Then you'll have something to complain about. At least UA has said that DEN is for domestic only. We're the bastard child, @ IAD and will always be. It's pitiful.
If thats the case, why are they thinking about DEN-NRT ?

I dunno how you can say IAD is worse off, atleast as far as international flights are concerned.

Maybe I should rephrase that comment: UA focuses on domestic, on connecting passengers, not on domestic. I should edit that comment, 'eh? I don't know what I'm saying because I'm five seconds from collapsing...but my point was that IAD is not treated well as a hub--not in terms of international flights. I know that DEN has little international flights on UA... I need to go to sleep before I start saying that UA will place an order for the 787 next year...
Speechless

MCOGVADCA

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:56 pm

IAD will always have trouble attracting domestic east coast feed from UA b/c it is too freakin far away from DC.. only a handful of suburbs past fairfax find IAD more convenient than DCA. In other words, high yield domestic east coast O&D traffic is virtually nonexistant...why? Come on United777atGU, why is having class outside such a pain in the ass? Because you can't hear the professors due to all of the planes passing overhead en route to DCA! With the overwhelming amount of east coast traffic into the uber convenient DCA, its understandable why IAD is a ghost town throughout most of the day! the only time in which such a feed would be profitable is in the early afternoon to connect to its transatlantic flights, which is, for the most part, what we see at IAD.
Sorry just my two cents, and, clearly, for this i apologize, a tad biased.
12 months: mdl heh rgn kmg nng sha gmp icn can pvg sfo mco lwc sin dps cdg gva

DL WIDGET HEAD

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:58 pm

UNITED's executive managements briefly mentioned

I hope a member of UA's SR Management did not use the word aircrafts. The plural of aircraft is aircraft. Anyway, I think DEN-NRT could work for UA with a 777. I wonder how far along these plans might be.

nosedive

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting United777atGU (Reply 44):
Maybe I should rephrase that comment: UA focuses on domestic, on connecting passengers, not on domestic. I should edit that comment, 'eh? I don't know what I'm saying because I'm five seconds from collapsing...but my point was that IAD is not treated well as a hub--not in terms of international flights. I know that DEN has little international flights on UA... I need to go to sleep before I start saying that UA will place an order for the 787 next year...

Yeah sleep, good idea  Wink

UAL777UK

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 43):
Glenn Tilton would produce 2 shiny new 777s directly from his ass and they'd be on DEN-NRT the next day.

NS

Brilliant!

rotfl 

airfrnt

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:41 am

One thing I don't understand is that people don't seem to be mentioning the possibility of using 744's out of DEN for NRT, especially if 777's are as scarce as I am led to believe by reading this thread.

UA seem to really be trying to move away from the 744 on routes. The 777 is a much safer choice. In addition, AFAIK, yes the 777 can make the Asian routes no problem, and no, DEN's hot and high isn't a problem thanks to a truly gargantuan runway.

Quoting Manny (Reply 41):

I believe the announcement came after UA ditched their only (FRA?) international route out of DEN. However, with F9 making a small fortune building their new international network UA won't sit idle forever.