Shinkai
Topic Author

How Is Singapore Airlines An Industry Leader?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi this is my first post! i just signed up to a.net 5 minutes ago.

anyway, a few months ago Singapore Airlines ordered about 20 A350s. many people claim that Singapore Airlines is an industry leader and whatever Singapore Airlines orders, many other airlines will closely follow but its been months now and i don't see airlines queueing up to buy A350s?

and for the 787 order, Singapore Airlines is more of a follower than of a leader isn't it?

so is Singapore Airlines really an industry leader that other airlines should learn from? or is this a claim that Singapore Airlines "fans" made up? it seems to me that no other airline really gives a da** about what Singapore Airlines does, isn't it? otherwise, do discuss and give some examples where SQ bought "so and so" model and then a while later many other airlines followed suit and bought "so and so model."

on a minor note, i just like to comment that i don't like Singapore Airlines' updated livery on the B777-300ER and the A380 very much. not especially the tail. why couldn't they just finish painting the tail instead of leaving a white "stripe" at the bottom?

thank you and have a nice day!
please relax, enjoy your flight... Good Luck!!

a3

RE: How Is Singapore Airlines An Industry Leader?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Welcome to a.net

The industry haw many and various fields, a leader doesn¢t have to be always followed in all of them.
Also with the expansion of other carriers its only natural that some of them will be eventually leaders on some fields.

Rgds
A3
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:15 pm

if everyone is a leader, then what's the point of leading?

its the same as saying "hey i think you're unique... just like everybody else!"

Coal

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:22 pm

I don't think airlines (SQ for that matter) are titled as leaders just for the type of A/C they order, but more likely for the level of service they provide. In this aspect, I do believe SQ is one of the leaders.

Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

kaitak744

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Thread starter):
so is Singapore Airlines really an industry leader that other airlines should learn from?

Well, if any, it was certainly Singapore Airlines who proved the 777 to be what it is (after going through MD-11 and A340-300).

Also, SQ has some firsts:

First airline to offer free head sets in all classes.
First airline to offer PTVs (?).
First airline to offer free drinks.
First airline to offer internet connection (connexion by Boeing).
First airline to offer live international TV broadcasts.
First airline to offer free live news feeds.
First airline to offer 19 inch wide economy class seats
First airline to offer 30 inch wide business class seats
First airline to offer 35 inch wide first class seats
First airline to fly A380.

ag92

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm

First airline to cross the pacific (?)
Longest non stop flight with SQ; SIN - EWR

Regards

chiad

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Hasn't Singapore Airlines also been the most, or one of the most, profitable airlines for about a decade or so?
I dont know if Singapore Airlines have had a loss since the separation from Malaysian Airlines, but I doubt it. This kind of makes them a model of how to run a successful airline.
And the fact that they are heavily involved in every new widebody project makes them an industry leader ... I think.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:32 pm

First airline to offer free head sets in all classes.
First airline to offer free drinks.
First airline to offer live international TV broadcasts.
First airline to offer free live news feeds.
First airline to fly A380.

so are you saying that all the other airlines that started offering PTVs, free drinks, internet connection and so on offered them because they were inspired by Singapore Airlines?

and for the A380, SIA may be the first to fly, but they weren't the first to order.. the first airline to order IS the leader and is the one deserving the attention. but now, i don't even know who was the first airline to place an order for the A380! if i recalled correctly, even Emirates ordered the A380s before SIA!

if all the other airlines start offering ridiculously wide seats on their J and F classes, i'd believe that Singapore Airlines really is a product leader. if airlines start ordering the A350 because SIA ordered it, then i'd be convince that they're a leader.

don't get me wrong i'm no SIA basher but i am just confused over why many people hold them in such high regards.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Shinkai, welcome to Airliners.net. You have indeed written an interesting and thought provoking first post.

While I do not have the time during the next 24 hours to provide a more thorough explanation...

1) I share your views on Singapore Airlines Limited's "new" livery. It is indeed....different from what we all expected.

2)

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 7):
if all the other airlines start offering ridiculously wide seats on their J and F classes, i'd believe that Singapore Airlines really is a product leader

An airline industry leader's leadership position should not be decided upon whether follower or lesser airlines adopt its position. Often, due to a number of factors including financial ability, ethos and management objectives, airlines take different paths.

3)

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 7):
the first airline to order IS the leader and is the one deserving the attention

You've said that however you have contradicted yourself in your thinking with the paragraph above the aforementioned quote.

Again, welcome to the forums.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 pm

hi! thanks for your warm welcome. i do hope somebody does something about the tail.

You've said that however you have contradicted yourself in your thinking with the paragraph above the aforementioned quote.

i make a fine distinction between "first to fly" and "first to order."

looking forward to your thorough explanation!

art

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:01 pm

so is Singapore Airlines really an industry leader that other airlines should learn from?

Singapore Airlines, by nearly all accounts, delivers an exceptional service. It also makes a lot of profit.

The airline business is... a business. Other airlines that do not do so well would be very foolish not to study Singapore Airlines' operation and to emulate it where it is more successful than their own.

So, in answer to your question, I would say "yes".

BTW it's good to welcome another anetter on board.

[Edited 2006-11-05 14:07:36]

art

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 12):
why do i keep quoting myself when i highlighted a quote from someone else?

The Quote Selected Text button is at the TOP of the post concerned.

ANYWAY, since when is singapore a country with decent civil rights laws? from what i heard, it is the most barbaric nation in europe that bans chewing gum and even hangs people!!

Since, you are new to a.net, a word of caution: political comments that are not relevant to aviation are not allowed.

BTW Singapore looks like it's in Asia in my atlas.

don

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I agree with most of the firsts by Singapore Airlines (SQ) mentioned in an earlier post.

But IMHO why SQ is regarded by many as an industry leader is their consantly high service standards.

While many airlines such as CX, EK, VS etc has similar service standards, SQ does maintain that standard on highest percentage of flights. And also many airlines can maintain their standards when things are going nice and smooth. But most of them does not handle problems such as delays, missed connections etc as efficiently as SQ does.

The higher service standards at SQ is even more impressive and says a lot for the training methods especially when the home base, Singapore and the people are not exactly well known for their graciousness.

utapao

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:06 pm

ANYWAY, since when is singapore a country with decent civil rights laws? from what i heard, it is the most barbaric nation in europe that bans chewing gum and even hangs people!!

Are you saying Singapore is in Europe?

And what does Singapore's civil rights laws have to do with Singapore Airlines?

Sorry... I just lost your train of thought about the airline.
Sawasdee khrab!

gilesdavies

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 4):

Think you might have your dimensions wrong!!!

10 inch widescreen in Y
15.4 inch widescreen in J
23 inch widescreen in F

(I can't comment if SQ were the first with screen of this size.)

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/new/index.jsp

They are considered by many as a leader in the industry as they can't do a lot wrong.

They are one of the most protitable airlines world.
They offer very innovative products and they are usually considered one of industry leaders in levels of service and other legacy carriers usually end up having to play catch up...

But their are other airlines which are hot on their heals. Airlines that spring to mind are:

Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, PIA, Asiana and Cathey Pacific. (All coincedently Asian too!)

[Edited 2006-11-05 15:14:34]

richardlu

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:38 pm

I believe he was talking about seat widths, not how wide the PTVs are.

Female F/As know perfectly the terms when they sign up for the job. They do treat it as a 5-7 year experience rather than a lifelong career, unless if they choose to go higher up. Being a Singapore Girl is something very much coveted.

And Singapore is a country in ASIA. As for all the harsh laws, most of us are grateful for them. Yes we may a bit "restricted" from many people's point of view, but we do get to enjoy the economic prosperity, low crime rates and stability here.

BMIFlyer

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Singapore Airlines is very good, see my trip report  Smile
Asian Delight, LHR-SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR On SQ With Pics (by BMIFlyer Feb 22 2006 in Trip Reports)

Welcome to A.net  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Sabena332

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:16 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Lufthansa (their 744 with the registration D-ABTE, to be exact) was the first airline with internet connection onboard:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Kondziela
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Waser

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

a3

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 am

is singapore a country with decent civil rights laws? from what i heard, it is the most barbaric nation in europe

I remember last time I was there , that it was a 14 hour flight away from Europe  Smile
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

timboflier215

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 11):

You seem to have something against Singapore? Its a lovely, stable country which is highly civilised and NOT barbaric. SQ offer excellent services and have offered many innovations over the year. Many would see them as a market leader, along with the likes of CX etc.

MCOGVADCA

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:13 am

I think you're right Sabena, IIRC Lufthansa was the first to offer Internet onboard, I vaguely recall seeing ads on the Washington Metro advertising such a service. But besides the point, SQ is unequivocally an airline industry leader and I feel basing one's assessment of an 'industry leader' solely on the aforementioned premise of airplane purchases and whether other airlines follow suit is a bit of a superficial analysis. As has been previously stated, SQ is a remarkable airline offering truly exceptional service, which in my book, qualifies them as an industry leader.

And any city with Indian food that spectacular cant be all that bad!  Smile
12 months: mdl heh rgn kmg nng sha gmp icn can pvg sfo mco lwc sin dps cdg gva

777ER
Crew

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:20 am

EK was the first to offer PTVs

SQ is and has been proven many times to be an industry leader, their awards etc speak for this

ph0king

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:59 am

SQ is a leader because of its legendary customer service ( how many other airlines have flight attendats with attractive looking young women serving as your flight attendants. And not only are the flight attendats attractive and polite for the majority of the time, but all the inflight ammenties are great as well(food, video games, etc). ) I hear SQ has strict standards on hiring flight attendats, so rarely will you ever see an old stewardess on a fight unless she is the chief of the cabin.

The airline makes a profit every year ( in this day of airline bankruptcies, how many other airlines can say they do that?)

Their fleet is quite young. I believe the average age of their fleet is only 6 or 7 years. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe SQ aircraft orders from Airbus are partly subsidized by the European Governments which is why they are going towards the 380 and 350 . . although last year there were a large amount of orders for the 777- 300 from Boeing which contradicts.

SQ also owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Perhaps that is why Virgin is such a good airline and pehaps this is why SQ is making lots of money as wel. I notice the flight attendants on VS are quite attractive as well compared to BA which reminds me of United.

Changi Airport is consistently rated as one of the best airports in the world. Do you ever hear this about Ohare or DFW?

I know its probably apples and oranges to compare United/American vs. Singapore. Especially Since SQ doesn’t have to deal with a huge domestic market such as the U.S which contains a lot of low fare competition from airlines like Southwest/Jetblue. I guess it helps that the markets the compete in arent as competitive.

Also SQ hires flight attendants from Malaysia and India. I wonder if they take advantage of this to save on labor costs?

From reading an article in the LA Times a few months back I hear SQ places all their money in their product vs. on their workforce. In fact of I hear SQ travels the most miles per employee compared to all other airlines. What does that say about how they work their people? I also hear that their headquarters is old and is at the top of a flight hangar. Guess they save a lot on overhead?

I know this doesn’t have to do with why SQ is an industry leader, but I think its interesting to note aside from going to its homebase of Singapore, SQ has routes that fly to other carriers homebases as well. For example.

SFO- SEL(Korean, Asiana, United)
SFOHKG(Cathay Pacific, United)
LAXNRT(JAL, ANA, UNITED)
LAXTPE(CHINA, EVA, UNITED)
LAXSIN(NONE)
JFKFRA(LUFTHANSA)
EWR - SIN(NONE)

At least from a U.S. perspective, how many asian carriers fly to singapore that arent singapore airlines? Thinking about it the other way, how many Asian carriers stop in Singapore when they go to Asia from Europe ?

SQ also provides service to India and all cities in China. What other airlines on the west coast does this? I know Air India just recently entered LA., but before this, what other airline did this? They are jumping on board to provide services to the very big an upcoming economies. I don’t see any of their other competitors doing this. Perhaps its because of where singapore is located . . between Asia, the middle east, and Europe.

[Edited 2006-11-05 20:02:51]

Lostmoon744

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:15 am

With respect to barbarism, Nihongo certainly doesn't have their hands clean on that one.

As for Singapore in Europe? It certainly was there at one point in time (Pangaea).  Smile

But, SQ certainly has an ethos and lore that the world has come to know, and has continuously proved itself to be an industry leader when it comes to their product.

jamincan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting Ph0king (Reply 23):
I know this doesn’t have to do with why SQ is an industry leader, but I think its interesting to note aside from going to its homebase of Singapore, SQ has routes that fly to other carriers homebases as well. For example.

SFO- SEL(Korean, Asiana, United)
SFOHKG(Cathay Pacific, United)
LAXNRT(JAL, ANA, UNITED)
LAXTPE(CHINA, EVA, UNITED)
LAXSIN(NONE)
JFKFRA(LUFTHANSA)
EWR - SIN(NONE)

At least from a U.S. perspective, how many asian carriers fly to singapore that arent singapore airlines? Thinking about it the other way, how many Asian carriers stop in Singapore when they go to Asia from Europe ?

SQ also provides service to India and all cities in China. What other airlines on the west coast does this? I know Air India just recently entered LA., but before this, what other airline did this? They are jumping on board to provide services to the very big an upcoming economies. I don’t see any of their other competitors doing this. Perhaps its because of where singapore is located . . between Asia, the middle east, and Europe.

I suspect that SIN simply doesn't have enough O&D for SQ to operate exclusively out of it. That's likely why they have so many SIN-XXX-YYY routings; it gives the airline an opportunity to expand beyond the limited demand of its home market.

FCAFLYBOY

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:01 am

Sponsor Message:

I don't really try to suggest a factual link between a nations civil laws and an airlines way of conducting business. Ultimately, everyone's opinion of what defines an ''industry leader'' will always differ.

However, one thing SQ is good at is being consistent - both in terms of being dynamic, but also, and perhaps more importantly, in the service they offer on the frontline.

Yellowstone

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:52 am

Shinkai,

So who would you consider an industry-leading airline, then?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

orbis

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:30 am

From a passenger point of view and as a very frequent flier on many airlines, IMHO SIA leadership could resume (but not limited) to the following.

Attention to every little detail. In every class.
Consistency despite route, aircraft and time of flight in providing the same quality.

That is why I often choose flight SQ25 & 26 JFK-FRA-JKF over LH's many options. Truly a world of difference. Reliable in every class.

Now, if you want to check some other "SIA's firsts" just check out the new products to be introduced by the end of year.
we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:41 am

Need to clear some things up here...

From reading an article in the LA Times a few months back I hear SQ places all their money in their product vs. on their workforce. In fact of I hear SQ travels the most miles per employee compared to all other airlines. What does that say about how they work their people? I also hear that their headquarters is old and is at the top of a flight hangar. Guess they save a lot on overhead?

HQ is not where you say it is. A very modern complex sits in its own location somewhere outside the airport compound. And it is anything but old.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

b6sea

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting Ph0king (Reply 23):

If you believed everything the LA Times said you'd be living in a Marxist commune, but since you're even speaking about a capitalist matter such as private aviation, you'd probably be sent to a gulag somewhere in Kansas, where you would be forced to cut wheat with a scythe for 14 hours a day and then make hope that one day the Midtown Manhattan wall would come down, so that you would be free to go back to LA and read about how great Marxism is again.
Morale: The Seattle Times and P-I have the best aviation journalists out there... and are the only reputable paper when it comes to commercial aviation. Also, Singapore Airlines usually has a higher F/A per passenger ratio than most other airlines besides their asian peers. Their HQ is ultra-modern and hardly has a hangar in sight.... About the F/As, the only way they would work as hard as they do is if they were compensated in accordance with their expectations, which are astronomical. Needless to say, the F/As do pretty well for themselves, I've heard. Singapore (country) may have strict laws, but they have economic prosperity to boot.

Didn't mean to cut you down by the way.

YULWinterSkies

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 22):
Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 4):First airline to offer PTVs (?).
EK was the first to offer PTVs

I remember reading on this forum that it was UA when the 777 came!  scratchchin 
When I doubt... go running!

Shinkai
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 27):
So who would you consider an industry-leading airline, then?

i do not have anything against singapore or SIA being a leader neither do i have another "leader" in mind.. i just want to know WHY they are a leader

but well, judging by the number of people who speak up for the airline and reading what they have to say, i believe SIA is a leader and deservingly so, though i've only flown with SIA's A340-300 once (SIN-PERTH) and wasn't THAT convinced on that flight. but maybe times have changed between 2001 and now.

Smile

sorry about the typo, Singapore is in Asia!!

ph0king

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 29):
HQ is not where you say it is. A very modern complex sits in its own location somewhere outside the airport compound. And it is anything but old.

I hope you are not referring to that ultra modern tall building in the downtown area of Singpaore where there is a huge SQ logo on it. If you are, they are just renting it out to other companies. Their offices are not in there. I guess another one of their ways of contributing to that famous bottom line of theirs.

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:54 am

It depends how you define leader. As mentioned above, there are many aspects to the title. I don't believe SQ or any airlines are a 'leader'. Because at the end of the day, apart from being the first to do things (SQ might do some things first, but there are many others who have been 'firsts' as well) service and customer wise, it depends on the individual customers and their preferences.

ph0king

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting B6sea (Reply 30):
If you believed everything the LA Times said you'd be living in a Marxist commune, but since you're even speaking about a capitalist matter such as private aviation, you'd probably be sent to a gulag somewhere in Kansas, where you would be forced to cut wheat with a scythe for 14 hours a day and then make hope that one day the Midtown Manhattan wall would come down, so that you would be free to go back to LA and read about how great Marxism is again.
Morale: The Seattle Times and P-I have the best aviation journalists out there... and are the only reputable paper when it comes to commercial aviation. Also, Singapore Airlines usually has a higher F/A per passenger ratio than most other airlines besides their asian peers. Their HQ is ultra-modern and hardly has a hangar in sight.... About the F/As, the only way they would work as hard as they do is if they were compensated in accordance with their expectations, which are astronomical. Needless to say, the F/As do pretty well for themselves, I've heard. Singapore (country) may have strict laws, but they have economic prosperity to boot.

Didn't mean to cut you down by the way.

haha. I'll agree with you on the LA Times piece. Dont quite get the marxism thing though?? Kansas, the midtown manhattan wall(do they even have one in NY?), and LA dont quite connect. But I guess your telling me not to beleive the LA times.
As for the HQ, I know SQ has a building in downtown area of Singapore with a huge SQ logo on it. If you are referring to this as their ultra modern hq, this building is not their headquarters. I beleive they own it but are renting it out to someone else. As for the F/A's I agree that they have astronomical expectations. I hear they have to be a certain size. Thats tough for anybody. As for compensation, i guess thats up for speculation.

SQ772

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi Shinkai,

It all depends on what your definition of "leader" is. I guess I understand where you are coming from and what your definition of leadership is after noticing how you seem to pair "leader" with "follower" and "aircraft purchase" all the time.

My definition of being an industry leader isn't confined to simply 'follower' airlines emulating whatever aircraft SQ purchases. In fact, SQ has not been the launch customer for many aircraft types.

My definition of a leader is one who is ahead of the pack. The one that the industry looks up to, monitor closely for developments, respect etc. (not necessarily emulate, as each airline has their own strategies for growth).

Slightly off topic, but good to clarify nevertheless:

Based on your statement, I do believe you have not set foot in Singapore before (probably just transitted at Changi). I would encourage you to experience the real Singapore yourself, and make your judgement; rather than just basing your judgement on what you read or hear people say....

And just to correct your misconceptions, Singapore hangs criminals (drug traffickers, murderers), not just ordinary 'people'.

The last time I heard the word "Barbaric" used in a Singapore context was when my late grand parents described the horrific (and yes, often times barbaric) methods of torture the Japanese soldiers subjected the locals to during the Japanese occupation of Singapore. Banning chewing gum isn't too much of a torture compared that.  Wink
There's always a better way to fly...

ph0king

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:27 pm

FYI - The article from the LA Times I was referring to. Shinkai, hopefully this answers your questions.

Carrier Aims to Stay Above Rivals
Few airlines can match Singapore's service and profit. But it has to be inventive to keep ahead.
By Peter Pae, Times Staff Writer
March 25, 2006

SINGAPORE — On any given day, more than a dozen of Singapore Airlines Ltd.'s 747 and 777 jumbo jets depart here on flights to the U.S. packed with business and leisure travelers.

Few airlines can match the service in Singapore Airlines' first- and business-class cabins. Lobster thermidor, pan-seared pheasant, Chilean sea bass and other exotic meals are heated in steam ovens onboard, rather than in microwaves, and served on bone china with silverware. The airline flies one of the industry's youngest plane fleets, equipped with seats that turn into beds, and passengers can select from 50 movies in five languages, plus 200 music CDs and 30 Nintendo games.

Regular travelers are familiar with the "Singapore Girls," the airline's flight attendants, mostly women in their 20s who wear long sarongs and have a reputation for pampering passengers.

"They are almost like the airline of the 1950s and 1960s that viewed flying as an experience, not an endurance test," said Joe Brancatelli, a business travel consultant in New York.

Singapore Airlines' lofty image has enabled it to largely avoid competing on price and to draw long-distance travelers from other airlines as it flies to 34 countries.

"The main driver has been the reputation for good service," said Richard Aboulafia, aviation analyst with research firm Teal Group Corp.

Most rivals can't match Singapore Airlines' profit streak, either. Since launching in 1972, the airline has suffered only one unprofitable quarter. Buoyed by record passenger traffic, Singapore Airlines posted a $601-million profit on $6.17 billion in revenue for the nine months ended in December — while most airlines were in the red. The company is expected to report record earnings for its fiscal year ending in March despite a 48% rise in fuel costs.

But for all the airline's success, the pressure is on to find more inventive ways to stay ahead of the competition as other international carriers have begun to catch up, analysts said.

Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific Airlines is beefing up its in-flight service and last year wrested research firm SkyTrax's top airline award from Singapore Airlines for the first time. Meanwhile, rival Emirates has surpassed Singapore Airlines in some luxury amenities by introducing a private suite on first-class flights from New York to Dubai. And United Airlines, which emerged from three years of bankruptcy protection last month, plans to spend $165 million upgrading first- and business-class seats on international flights.

Airlines focus on "front-of-the-plane" passengers because they can generate 70% of a flight's profit even though they fill only about 30% of the airplane's space. A round-trip economy ticket from Los Angeles to Singapore, a route that can take as many as 20 hours, can be purchased two weeks in advance for about $1,000, while business class costs $5,000 and first class tops $10,000.

Another challenge for Singapore Airlines is that many of its planes are already near capacity. In January, 80% of its seats were occupied, compared with an industry average of 70%, and Singapore Airlines' busiest routes — between the U.S. and Singapore, including flights out of LAX — were 86% full.

"We're running out of planes and seats," said James Boyd, the airline's spokesman in the U.S.

Chief Executive Chew Choon Seng has three strategies to help the airline stay in front: add bigger planes, find new routes and create additional touches of luxury to keep filling those high-priced seats.

Singapore Airlines is awaiting some new long-range wide-body jets so it can add extra flights to existing routes. At the end of this year, Singapore will be the first airline to take delivery of the biggest airliner ever built: the double-decker, Airbus A380, which can hold nearly 500 passengers.

However, Chew's plan to secure some new international routes is running into headwinds.

Australian rival Qantas Airways fills three Boeing 747 jumbo jets daily on its LAX-to-Sydney flights. For more than a decade, Singapore Airlines has been trying to add an LAX-to-Sydney route. A Merrill Lynch research report estimates that one route could generate $270 million in additional revenue annually for Singapore Airlines.

But the Australian government rejected Singapore Airlines' request last month, leaving Qantas with a virtual monopoly of a route that generated nearly 20% of its profit last year. The only other airline allowed to fly from LAX to Sydney is United, which has one daily flight.

Singapore government officials reacted with uncharacteristic anger, accusing Australia of protectionism.

"Not being able to fly L.A. to Sydney is a problem for them," travel consultant Brancatelli said. "Where do they go now? There aren't too many places they can expand to."

Although Singapore Airlines recently added flights to Moscow and Abu Dhabi from Singapore, it faces stiff competition to open new routes to China and India.

The airline has always focused on international trips because of geographic constraints. Singapore, a tiny island about half the size of Los Angeles County with only 3 million residents, has little domestic air traffic. So the airline has marketed itself to well-to-do travelers willing to stop over in Singapore on their way to their final destination in Asia. Air India, for instance, offers direct flights from L.A. to New Delhi, but Singapore Airlines has higher passenger loads on its flights to India that make a stop in Singapore.

Although the company invests heavily on planes and training, it keeps other expenses at a minimum.

Its headquarters at the Singapore airport is on the top floor of a working airplane hangar next to its aircraft maintenance facility. The sparse offices have a few posters of Boeing airplanes pinned to the walls and furniture that seem to have been left over from the 1960s.

The airline said it preferred to invest its money into services that customers can see.

The company has a kitchen in Singapore that bakes its own bread and makes fresh chocolates before all flights. The airline also began providing live TV broadcasts of U.S. and British networks on its flights across the Pacific, the first of its kind.

And it recently spent $1 million to build the first pressurized flight simulator with an aircraft galley to mimic the conditions of preparing and serving meals at 35,000 feet.

"In the air, the taste buds get less sensitive, so you have to flavor the food a little more" to improve its taste, said Betty Wong, Singapore Airlines' vice president for in-flight services.

The airline gets plenty of flight attendant applications, but only about 10% of candidates survive the training program. New flight attendants must endure four months of classes, including wine appreciation courses so that when a passenger asks for a recommendation, the flight attendant can detail the difference between a Cabernet and a Merlot. The image of its flight attendants is so well-known that a Singapore Girl wax figure is on display at Madame Tussauds wax museum in London.

A Singapore Airlines executive said one difference between the airline and its rivals was that Singapore's flight attendants were trained to unwrap a blanket and place it on a passenger instead of just handing it out in a plastic case.

"It's not just about the food, the fleet or the schedule," Wong said. "It's also about soft touches and paying attention to little things."

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 pm

Quoting Ph0king (Reply 33):
I hope you are not referring to that ultra modern tall building in the downtown area of Singpaore where there is a huge SQ logo on it. If you are, they are just renting it out to other companies.

No I am not referring to this building. FYI, SIA has already sold it.

Quoting Ph0king (Reply 37):
Its headquarters at the Singapore airport is on the top floor of a working airplane hangar next to its aircraft maintenance facility. The sparse offices have a few posters of Boeing airplanes pinned to the walls and furniture that seem to have been left over from the 1960s.

Christ... I can just see the SQ executives keeling over at this very moment. Do you realise how much SQ emphasises on image? Has this writer even set foot in Singapore or to the SQ HQ to begin with?

jetdeltamsy

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Singapore offers the best service, CONSISTENTLY, of any airline out there.

People love good service. They are loyal to consistency.

Loyal customers equal repeat customers which equal profitable customers.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

ph0king

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 38):
No I am not referring to this building. FYI, SIA has already sold it.

Thanks for the info. I guess they used the money to beef up that old hanger???? Smile

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 38):
Christ... I can just see the SQ executives keeling over at this very moment. Do you realise how much SQ emphasises on image? Has this writer even set foot in Singapore or to the SQ HQ to begin with?

Image to the public yes. Image to its employees on the otherhand, i've heard otherwise. Story was written out of Singapore.

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Ph0king (Reply 40):
Image to the public yes. Image to its employees on the otherhand, i've heard otherwise. Story was written out of Singapore.

The reason I have an issue with this writer is because I used to work for the airline. And I know what he says in there is anything but true. If the story is indeed written out of Singapore, then his credibility needs to be questioned.

Yellowstone

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Perhaps the issue with the hangar thing is a misunderstanding of "headquarters." Note how the article reads "its headquarters at the Singapore airport is at the top floor..." Maybe the author is talking about their main airport office at SIN, rather than their corporate headquarters (which I would assume is in some office building somewhere). Just a guess.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

PhilSquares

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:38 pm

As a current SQ employee, I can assure you the "headquarters" are not in a hanger. The SQ bulding that was recently sold, was not where the SQ headquarters were located. There were some executive offices there and they will remain there, but the bulk of the space in the building was leased to other occupants. The SIA group made a decision to sell the property in order to concentrate on their "core" businesses.

it seems to me that no other airline really gives a da** about what Singapore Airlines does, isn't it? otherwise, do discuss and give some examples where SQ bought "so and so" model and then a while later many other airlines followed suit and bought "so and so model."

If the OP is really an ANA F/O then this statement really doesn't make sense. It's kind of like the statement of Singapore being in Europe! Perhaps he/she is just a "wannabe"?

SQ is generally regarded for several things. First, their ability to consistently make money. SQ has never had a loss for the year and they have been able to make money in the worst airline enviornment in history. Secondly, SQ is regarded for their ability to offer consistent service system wide. Is it 100% of the time? No, but it's generally much better than any other airline. Thirdly, SQ generally has staffing levels much higher than any other airline, which allows them to provide consistent service in all classes of service.

Will other airlines jump to "copy" their new product on the 773ER/380? My guess is they will. Time will tell.
Fly fast, live slow

ZKNBX

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 pm

is Singapore Airlines really an industry leader that other airlines should learn from? or is this a claim that Singapore Airlines "fans" made up?

Yes. Partly for the a/c they've bought in the past, but this doesn't make them an industry leader. Partly for a host of other reasons - including their engineering, marketing and financial management. And - perhaps most significantly - that they have provided an extraordinarily consistent level of customer and inflight service over the years. Other airlines have struggled to emulate that level of consistency - and that's why SQ have such a high level of repeat business.

baw716

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:55 pm

PhilSquares is one of the most respected users on this forum (IMHO). He is absolutely right on about SQ. If there is one carrier that is universally respected for what they do, how they do it and the fact that they are consistently rated as the best carrier in the world in passenger service, it is Singapore Airlines.

Are they perfect? No. However, the industry generally accepts that SQ is the carrier that is considered "the best" by its passengers, and watches their actions carefully to at least attempt compete with them effectively. They have just announced changes to their in flight product in First and Business that will force other long haul carriers to seriously look at what they are going to do next.

If this doesn't put them in the category of "industry leader", I don't know what does.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

timboflier215

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:28 pm

So where IS SQs hq and does anyone have any pics to show that it isn't, in fact, in a hanger?!

Consistently excellent service and being unafraid to do something new. That seems to be the general consensus on why SIA are considered among the world's premier carriers.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:30 pm

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 43):
If the OP is really an ANA F/O then this statement really doesn't make sense

Shinkai is the protagonist in popular japanese aviation drama "Good Luck!!" i admire his character, hence i use it for my username.

in real life, i am not from japan, much less an ANA f/o. sorry for the misunderstanding caused but thanks for your insightful comment.

by the way, this i'd really like to know.. where IS the SQ headquaters? right now, where is the CEO's office? in the airport itself or in a separate building away from the airport?

and as for the Singapore in Europe bit, i found this map earlier on which was quite confusing.

Pieinthesky

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:06 pm

I can't help thinking all this is just a poor attempt at a wind-up....

Ikarus2006

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:25 pm

SQ headquarter is nearby Changi (E-N/E tip of the Singapore Island). It is an interesting & browsing place with probably the most varied canteen I have ever experienced (suggestion: try Laksa  Wink ).

PhilSquares

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Reply 49):
SQ headquarter is nearby Changi (E-N/E tip of the Singapore Island). It is an interesting & browsing place with probably the most varied canteen I have ever experienced (suggestion: try Laksa ).

As Ikarus2006 pointed out, the headquarters buildings are out in Changi, to be specific it's Airline House, 25 Airline Road, Singapore 819829. The complex is a very non-assuming lowrise structure. You could drive right by it and never know what it was.
Fly fast, live slow