KL577
Topic Author

Aviation In Nigeria: Overview And Update

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 am

With the ICAO-team nearly on the ground for the audit of the Nigerian aviation sector, I though to give them some help (what else can you do on a Sunday in Kano  cheerful  ) and give an overview of Nigeria's complicated aviation sector. Below is a list (as accurate as possible) on the status of all airlines in Nigeria and some of their airports. Enjoy reading!

Airlines:
ADC Airlines - www.adcairlines.com
Was supposedly the first airline in Nigeria to pass the IATA Operational Safety Audit before the end of the year. Just completed an IPO through a major Nigerian bank, to finance expansion plans in West Africa and the purchase or lease of B737-300. Were/are looking for an international partner to use their traffic rights to Brussels. Operated B737-200 to Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Calabar and was the only airline to serve Yola and Sokoto. Started and suspended service to Libreville last year.

Aerocontractors - www.acn.aero
The preferred choice for many foreigners. Stronghold in the oil sector and operates a helicopter fleet for the offshore sector. Operates scheduled services with B737-300 and DHC-8 to Warri, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Benin City, Lagos, Abuja and Obudu (only airline). Operates international services to Malabo, Accra and Bamako. Is expected to start services to Sao Tome shortly.

Afrijet - www.afrijetairlines.com, www.afrijet.net, www.afrijet.com
Cargo operator is now gearing up for scheduled international flights. They have an MD-83 on the ground in Lagos and are expected to start services to Douala, Kinshasa and Luanda shortly. Is backed by a Nigerian bank and expects to operate a fleet of 30 aircraft in 10 years. Stories keep appearing about a supposed start to Madrid, Lyon and London with a leased A330.

Albarka Air - albarkaair.net (website not active)
Had their fleet of B727's grounded last year after the Sosoliso crash. Used to serve Lagos, Abuja and Maiduguri. According to a press report a while ago, the management is considering a new strategy.

Arik Air - www.arikair.com
The love-baby of the former Nigerian aviation minister. Starting up with new CRJ-900's and slightly older CRJ-200s while B737 are going to be used for cargo operations. Started service to Lagos, Abuja and Kano last week, Is expected to launch Enugu, Benin City, Port Harcourt, Calabar, Kaduna, Jos and Yola soon. Traffic rights have been secured to Port-of-Spain, Rio de Janeiro, Atlanta, Birmingham, Amsterdam, Paris and others.

Associated Aviation (no website)
Not sure if they still operate, used to serve Lagos and ???

Bellview Airlines - www.flybellviewair.com
Still major player. Operates B737-200, B737-300 and B767. Is getting A320 soon to replace B737-200. Flies Kano, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Lagos. Regional destinations are Dakar, Banjul, Conakry, Freetown, Monrovia, Abidjan, Accra, Douala and Libreville. Suspended services to Mumbai due to poor loads. Flies to London Heathrow and Johannesburg as Bellview Sierra Leone. Is supposed to start services to Newark from Lagos in December.

Capital Airlines (no website)
Operates EMB-120 to Lagos and Benin City. Is affiliated with Ocean Air of Brazil (and hence Synergy/Avianca). They claim getting a F-100 from Brazil to operate more flights/new destinations.

Chanchangi Airlines - www.chanchangiair.com
Flies B727 and B737 to Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kaduna (only airline). Started and suspended services to Kano and Accra this year.

Fresh Air (no website)
Flies a B737-200 to Lagos, Abuja, Calabar and Maiduguri (only operator).

IRS Airlines - www.irs-airlines.com
Used to fly F100, but plane has been parked with maintenance issues in Lagos for a year now. Operates F28 to Kano, Lagos, Abuja. It frequently hires a plane from Spaceworld or Fresh Air. Holds traffic rights to serve Beirut, but seems to have no intention of using them.

Kabo Air - www.kaboair.com
Main business is the Umrah and Hajj. Used to be a major player in the domestic market. Operates two B747-200 on a semi-scheduled service to Jeddah. Holds traffic rights for Nairobi, Ndjamena, Niamey, Rome and Frankfurt, but seems to have no intention of using them.

Nicon Airways, formerly EAS Airlines - www.niconairways.com
Nicon holding took over EAS. They operate B737 to Abuja, Lagos and are the only airline to serve Jos. They intend to grow such that "Queen Elizabeth can see Nicon, the pride of the nation, land in London".

Overland Airways - www.overland.aero
Operates ATR-42 and Beechcraft from Abuja to Calabar, Ilorin (only airline), Ibadan (only airline). Briefly operated to Bauchi and announced service to Katsina a year ago.

Sosoliso - www.sosolisoairline.com
Mentions the public on its website that last years' crash was a natural disaster. Operates MD-80 equipment to Lagos, Enugu, Owerri (only operator), Port Harcourt and Abuja. Is supposed to be a partner in setting up a new national airline in Liberia.

Spaceworld Airlines (no website)
Operates a B737 between Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.

Transky (no website)
Airline with a B737-200 that never came of the ground.

Virgin Nigeria - www.virginnigeria.com
The other preferred choice for foreigners. Expansion seems to have stalled before it properly began. Operates B737, A320 and A340 to Port Harcourt, Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Dakar, Douala, Accra, Gatwick and Johannesburg. Services to Douala, Dakar and Kano have seen reductions. Service to Dubai was started and suspended this year.

Miscellaneous
An American group of businessmen is looking for funds to start up a company called West Coast Airlines Inc., with the aim of starting direct flights between the US and Abuja/Lagos

New on foreign airlines:
Qatar Airways and China Southern will start service to Lagos in January. Air France is increasing flights to Port Harcourt (is picking up former VS passengers?), which are now temporarily routed to Lagos. KLM will bring the A330 to Kano and Abuja in February. Royal Air Maroc is supposed to start service to Casablanca soon. Ocean air intends to start services somewhere next year.

Airports
Lagos has indeed improved a lot (international) terminal-wise, its runways though are still giving major problems due to the poor drainage. The construction of the domestic terminal is taking forever. No delivery date is yet known.

Port Harcourt airport was closed suddenly in August, and nothing has happened since, according to the papers. Renovation of the run and taxiways has yet to start and the airport is not likely to reopen before next year. Air France diverts its flights to Lagos, Lufthansa to Abuja, while many domestic operators temporarily serve nearby Owerri. Rumours were that Air France tried to secure landing rights at Owerri, to be served with their A319 Dedicate.

Abuja's airport international terminal is fairly good, but does not always get basic maintenance.

Kano's international airport is sub-standard and the domestic terminal is a barn.

Of all Nigerian airports the following do not have scheduled service:
Minna, Katsina, Zaria, Makurdi, Akure, Bauchi.

Plans were presented recently to upgrade Katsina's airport, such that it can be used for Hajj flights to and from Jeddah.

Under construction are the following airports:

Gombe (Gombe State)
Airport is largely finished, but will it ever see scheduled service?

Birnin Kebbi (Kebbi State)
Airport is largely finished, same story as Gombe airport.

Akwa Ibom Cargo Airport - www.akianigeria.com/akwaibom/home/info
Airport to house maintenance facilities and to facilitate agricultural cargo exports.

Ogun State Cargo Airport - www.ogsgcargoairport.com (website not active)
Same set up as Akwa Ibom, though very close to Lagos.

Frequently the Nigerian press mentions intentions, sometimes the start and later abandoning of construction of new passenger airports in the following places: Jalingo (Taraba State), Gusau (Zamfara State) and an airport somewhere in Osun State.

So what did I forget?
 tired 

Alibo5NGN

RE: Aviation In Nigeria: Overview And Update

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:24 am

Excellent work KL577. You covered everything. As bad as things may appear, aviation in Nigeria is experiencing a major leap forward. More has been done in the last 3 years than the previous 15 years when Babangida and later Abacha did everythiing possible to let the economy and the aviation sector deteriorate. It is easy to break a leg. Mending it is another story.

Quoting KL577 (Thread starter):
So what did I forget?

I am trying to get Delta State (my home state), to build a General Aviation/Cargo/Passenger airport at Asaba the State capital. Delta is one of the few States with a good road network and is central. Asaba would be an excellent hub/maintenance base/warehousing base for such entities as the UN and Asian manufacturers and would create jobs. Asaba lies between Benin City and Enugu, relatively safe and stable and is next door to Onitsha home to the largest market and indigeneous import businesses in Nigeria.

My hope is that the Government will build the runways, control tower, lighting and communications while various cargo and passenger terminals will be built by the private sector via build, operate and transfer (BOT).

My upload of a photo of the new domestic terminal at Lagos was rejected this morning because of a tiny speck (2 pixels) in the sky over the terminal. I had informed the screener that this was the first photo of the terminal on any database. I guess that advice was ignored. I have another photo which does not cover the entire building as the rejected photo did. I will attempt to upload that one next week.

Finally, IMHO it would be nice if AsoRock and KL577 would provide their first names to make communicating with them easier.

Ken.  bigthumbsup 
It takes knowledge to make a career. It takes wisdom to live a life.

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 am

I wrote a whole bunch of things here but unfortunately clicked on a link by accident, then hit "back" only to see my typing erased...20-minutes of typing gone, oufff!

Here it is again (well almost!):

The new Lagos domestic terminal looks awfully small to me, considering the likely growth in the coming few years...

Here's are my comments re the airlines:

ADC Airlines: Had their AOC revoked and is unlikely to ever recover again. Poor investors (and mourning families).

Arik Air: Is using their 737-300s in passenger congif on Abuja and Kano routes (you can verify this on airwise.com or amadeus.com flight schedules).

Virgin Nigeria: Will be adding 2 x 737-800s soon with a crew base in Johannesburg, probably to lure more pilots to join them.

Overland Airways: I guess they are trying to focus on their Ibadan / Ilorin / Calabar routes until they are profitable before developing Akure/Bauchi/Katsina, etc. In a nutshell their growth has been slower than anticipated.

Re Abuja Airport have u used the new domestic terminal? It is supposed to be comfortable and modern. Whatever happened to ACSA's bid to run Abuja Airport on concession basis? This appears to have frozen...

[Edited 2006-11-06 20:49:39]
If there is a will, there is a way

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Reply 5):
Hi Hani. How was I to know that you are EurostarVA? Go ahead use the image.

Check my last e-mail  Smile

Here the nice photo again of the New Domestic Terminal @ Lagos Airport:
(credit: Ken Iwelumu)

Big version: Width: 889 Height: 374 File size: 125kb

I guess it's no CDG or Incheon but still this small, private terminal is taking Nigeria places through international-standard design (but I still think it's too small to handle traffic next year, let alone future growth projections...).

na

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:57 am

Thanks for posting this comprehensive overview. Regarding Kabo Air: are you sure they still operate 2 747s to jeddah? As much as I heard was that they were wfu early this year (they apparently couldn´t serve this year´s Hadj) after Nigeria banned 30+ year old aircraft.

Alibo5NGN

Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 6):
(but I still think it's too small to handle traffic next year, let alone future growth projections...).

The new domestic terminal looks small from a frontal perspective, but it is actually huge inside. It has ample room for shops, restaurants, multistory car park and other services we take for granted in Western and Asian terminals. As for the few air bridges, the air tugs will be kept busy moving aircraft back and forth.

thomasphoto60

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:13 am

[

Bellview Airlines - www.flybellviewair.com
Is supposed to start services to Newark from Lagos in December.

Arik Air - www.arikair.com
Traffic rights have been secured to Port-of-Spain, Rio de Janeiro, Atlanta,

Well we have EWR, ATL....? but no IAH!?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

montenegro

What Is That F100 @ Lagos Domestic Terminal?

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:02 am

I was reading and looking of what you have said, and than I noticed a F100 on the photo of the new Terminal, which plane is that?

Thanks.

Savo

md90fan

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Montenegro (Reply 10):
I was reading and looking of what you have said, and than I noticed a F100 on the photo of the new Terminal, which plane is that?

It belongs to IRS Airlines.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

miamix707

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 am

is that Allied Air cargo 727 flying? Seems to be rarely photographed.

AsoRock

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 12):

This 727 appears to have been parked in that spot for ages.

Perhaps KL577 or EurostarVA can give us an update on this carrier? Last I checked this airline flew scheduled cargo services from Lagos to Dubai.

Cheers,

Sami

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:46 pm

Just on a related note... Nigeria's corruption ranking has improved tremendously and has just been revised to 18th most corrupt country in the world. Still more needs to be done obviously. However the rampage against corrupt politicians seems to have paid off, for now.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/07112006/news/news6.html

This must be good for business, as Nigeria's perception in the international community is finally taking a turn for the better.

KL577
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 7):
Thanks for posting this comprehensive overview. Regarding Kabo Air: are you sure they still operate 2 747s to jeddah? As much as I heard was that they were wfu early this year (they apparently couldn´t serve this year´s Hadj) after Nigeria banned 30+ year old aircraft.

They still fly, they climb out of Kano painstakingly slow then to pass my house very low with the most incredible noise. Their flights to Jeddah are on Wednesday and Sunday nights, at the same time as KLM leaves for Amsterdam, that's usually complete chaos! Their flight attendants look in fact 'pretty' professional (unlike their planes). And last year in Yola I came across a group of Chinese engineers who appeared to be working for Kabo.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 11):
Quoting Montenegro (Reply 10):

It belongs to IRS Airlines.

Indeed the F100 which has been parked for a year now. I flew it twice, was well maintained (at that time) with a Scottish pilot (I guessed from his accent). They boost themselves of having the only aircraft in Nigeria with inflight entertainment, and indeed the F100 has video screens displaying not so interesting information.

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 13):
Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 12):

This 727 appears to have been parked in that spot for ages.

Perhaps KL577 or EurostarVA can give us an update on this carrier? Last I checked this airline flew scheduled cargo services from Lagos to Dubai.

Cheers,

Sami

In fact I don't know anything about this operator.

Alibo5NGN

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 9):
Well we have EWR, ATL....? but no IAH!?

Continental Airlines had planned a IAH-EWR-LOS service last year. They may still do this in the near future, but for now they are busy making sure that Virgin Nigeria does not fly into JFK and exacting revenge on the Nigerian Government for the hard time they got when they first applied for the LOS route. Ironically Houston has one of the largest concentration of Nigerians after New York/New Jersey, Los Angeles, Chicago, Maryland and Atlanta.  flamed 

AsoRock

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Reply 1):
Asaba would be an excellent hub/maintenance base/warehousing base for such entities as the UN and Asian manufacturers and would create jobs.

It all sounds great but all depends on the state and federal economies and whether the current economic growth can be sustained beyond next year's elections, to ensure private investments in such an airport can actually turn a profit.

I'm not so sure about the maintenance proposition since Akwa Ibom is already building a new airport with an MRO facility to be run by the private sector. Another is now being run by Arik Air in Lagos.

Perhaps your recommendations to the government can be refined through hiring a consultant like KPMG to prepare a more detailed feasiblity study.

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 17):
Perhaps your recommendations to the government can be refined through hiring a consultant like KPMG to prepare a more detailed feasiblity study.

Do you have any idea how much such a study would cost? :O

na

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting KL577 (Reply 15):
They still fly, they climb out of Kano painstakingly slow then to pass my house very low with the most incredible noise.

Can you tell what registrations these two 747s have?
In 2001 they got 5 or 6 747-200 from Virgin and BA.
I guess 5N-PDP (long time ago, in 1974, it started its life as VH-EBH for Qantas) is among them, it was reported flying in January this year. The other must be 5N-NNN (built 1975), also reported flying for Kabo back in January.

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 pm

Wouldn't that be in breach of the 23-years age limit on Nigerian airliners?
Oops I forgot, the operators "dash" their way around...  Smile

na

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 20):
Oops I forgot, the operators "dash" their way around...  

Nigeria lifts bans, sets new ones, lifts them again, who knows. Look at their politics regarding importing cars, changes every year, and if you don´t fulfil the rules, there is indeed always someone to bribe, Abasanjo can say what he wants on CNN, its sadly still true. In Nigeria you can "buy" anything. With money and connections you can even send someone you don´t like to life imprisonment.

KL577
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 19):

Can you tell what registrations these two 747s have?

I'll have to check that when they come over (or when I am at the airport). I got the figure of 2 B747 from a newspaper article last month, where they mentioned that one was undergoing maintenance in Singapore (anybody seen it in SIN????), but their website states:

"Click here to make enquiries about our charter flights
(We operate with four 747 aircrafts fully owned by the company) "

So maybe there are even four airworthy? I will try to find out.

Quoting NA (Reply 21):
Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 20):
Oops I forgot, the operators "dash" their way around...

Nigeria lifts bans, sets new ones, lifts them again, who knows. Look at their politics regarding importing cars, changes every year, and if you don´t fulfil the rules, there is indeed always someone to bribe, Abasanjo can say what he wants on CNN, its sadly still true. In Nigeria you can "buy" anything. With money and connections you can even send someone you don´t like to life imprisonment.

Yes, and Kabo Air is a special type of operator due to the religious nature of their operations. Somebody told me they don't pay fees for their operations at KAN, but don't know if this is really true.

AF022

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:26 am

Does anyone know what is going on with Bellview?

Do they still operate to London via Freetown? There is nothing on Amadeus, and perhaps BMed is taking all their traffic on this route.

Since they dropped Bombay, where are they using the B767s?

EurostarVA

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 23):
Do they still operate to London via Freetown? There is nothing on Amadeus, and perhaps BMed is taking all their traffic on this route.

They have been banned in the EEU due to latter's blacklisting of all Sierra Leonian operators (citing inability of Sierra Leone to audit their airlines).

AF022

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 24):
They have been banned in the EEU due to latter's blacklisting of all Sierra Leonian operators (citing inability of Sierra Leone to audit their airlines).

What is left for Bellview - only intra-African? Maybe they would have more success with an all-narrowbody fleet as intercontinental is getting too competitive.

KL577
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 25):
What is left for Bellview - only intra-African? Maybe they would have more success with an all-narrowbody fleet as intercontinental is getting too competitive.

We discussed Bellview's future in another thread recently.
RE: Bellview (B3) Starts Johannesburg Flights (by Alibo5NGN Nov 5 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Anyway, it seems they only fly LOS-FNA and FNA-DLA-JNB with their B767.

Nicon Airways, formerly EAS Airlines - www.niconairways.com
Nicon holding took over EAS. They operate B737 to Abuja, Lagos and are the only airline to serve Jos. They intend to grow such that "Queen Elizabeth can see Nicon, the pride of the nation, land in London".

Nicon has completely revamped their website. Not onty do they display an A380 in Nicon Airways colors (Taking up the cancellations from Fedex?  Silly), you can now book online flights from Bangkok to Pnomh Penh! That's an impressive expansion for a Nigerian Airline.

miamix707

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:01 pm

that Nicon Airways paintschem is hot though

Not the best angle but here's a shot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Fabry

Maybe it's old news, but I've never seen it before

About the Allied Cargo, 727 for some reason I've been able to find pics of the other two, but that one there which was the first one, I can't find a pic for it. I saw it when it got painted at MIA last year.

Leezyjet

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:40 am

Here is a link to my pics that I took whilst I was in LOS earlier in the year. Some of you may have seen them before, as I made a thread a few months back. Most of the pics are of the Nigeria Airways fleet being dismantled, but there are a few other pics amongst them.

Anyway, here they are again for those that want a look :-

www.fl400.com/Nigeria

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

AMSSFO

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 am

IRS Airlines - www.irs-airlines.com
Used to fly F100, but plane has been parked with maintenance issues in Lagos for a year now. Operates F28 to Kano, Lagos, Abuja. It frequently hires a plane from Spaceworld or Fresh Air. Holds traffic rights to serve Beirut, but seems to have no intention of using them.

A second Fokker 100 is being readied at JNB. It's also a former US F100, that has been stored for a long time at JNB. It was recently seen in full IRS c/s.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Zak Economides
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ton Jochems

Wasn't IRS grounded last March? When did they restart operations?

PRM

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:47 am

The Allied Cargo 727 occassionally subs for the DHL 727 on the LOS-ACC-ABJ sectors, and I've seen it several times in Accra. Likewise the Associated Cargo 727 operates occassionally for DHL.

SA006

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 29):
A second Fokker 100 is being readied at JNB. It's also a former US F100, that has been stored for a long time at JNB. It was recently seen in full IRS c/s.

Yeh saw her at JNB recently. Was right up next to her. She still doesn't look worthy to go yet , could still be a month or two , perhaps longer. Shes been stored around the Aeronexus area at JNB for about 1 and a half years now.

-SA006
Proudly South African

AsoRock

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:24 pm

Is IRS Airlines even flying right now? I hear their services to the North of Nigeria were very reliable at some point (KAN and KAD?)

KL577
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 32):
Is IRS Airlines even flying right now? I hear their services to the North of Nigeria were very reliable at some point (KAN and KAD?)

They were serving KAN last week.

Arik air in the meantime does not have started service to KAN yet, flights to Kano and Enugu have been removed from their website as well.

AF022

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting KL577 (Reply 33):
Arik air in the meantime does not have started service to KAN yet, flights to Kano and Enugu have been removed from their website as well.

I'm out of the loop a little, but has ARIK started at all? If so, where are they flying and are the loads ok?

KL577
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 34):
I'm out of the loop a little, but has ARIK started at all? If so, where are they flying and are the loads ok?

According to the papers they now fly between Lagos and Abuja, but I have yet to come accross somebody who has actually flown them.

AsoRock

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting KL577 (Reply 35):
According to the papers they now fly between Lagos and Abuja, but I have yet to come accross somebody who has actually flown them.

I believe they also started Calabar and Benin, with Enugu and Kano coming online starting November 13th.

bennett123

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Leezyjet

The pictures were great, I remember the thread that you refer to.

Is there any further reports of the old Nigeria Airways fleet.

David

AsoRock

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:54 pm

Virgin Nigeria - www.virginnigeria.com
The other preferred choice for foreigners. Expansion seems to have stalled before it properly began. Operates B737, A320 and A340 to Port Harcourt, Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Dakar, Douala, Accra, Gatwick and Johannesburg. Services to Douala, Dakar and Kano have seen reductions. Service to Dubai was started and suspended this year.

The 6th Boeing 737-300 to be delivered, 5N-VNF, has been idle on the tarmac in Budapest since months ago, with the airline unable to take delivery due to extreme shortage of flight crew. In fact, VK finalized plans to launch new services from Lagos to Yola and Maiduguri, both of which receive limited services from other airlines, but these plans are on hold until they can take delivery of -VNF. Likewise, VK is now interviewing for ground staff in Calabar (booming tourism haven) and Enugu, priot to launching services to these airports, but the problem of flight crew remains.

There are strong indications the airline is about to add a new batch of 733 First Officers during November or December, with some existing FOs billed for upgrading.

If the latest domestic expansion plans are carried out in the next 2 months, Virgin Nigeria would be offering flights from its Lagos hub to: Abuja, Owerri, Enugu, Calabar, Kano, Maiduguri and Yola.

I have no info on the airline's latest expansion plans in West Africa, but I guess their plans are hampered by the same problem (lackf of flight crew)

KL577
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting AsoRock (Reply 38):
If the latest domestic expansion plans are carried out in the next 2 months, Virgin Nigeria would be offering flights from its Lagos hub to: Abuja, Owerri, Enugu, Calabar, Kano, Maiduguri and Yola.

That's very good news!

EurostarVA

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:31 pm

Virgin Nigeria is trying to source younger, eager expatriate first officers from Canada and elsewhere. They've reduced entry requirements to 500 hours for right seat (737-300).
Some CANJET pilots are on the way to join VK, so I heard!

KL577
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:19 am

Afrijet - www.afrijetairlines.com, www.afrijet.net, www.afrijet.com
Cargo operator is now gearing up for scheduled international flights. They have an MD-83 on the ground in Lagos and are expected to start services to Douala, Kinshasa and Luanda shortly. Is backed by a Nigerian bank and expects to operate a fleet of 30 aircraft in 10 years. Stories keep appearing about a supposed start to Madrid, Lyon and London with a leased A330.

Afrijet has updated its website as well:

"Two international destinations in Europe namely, Lyon (France) and Madrid (Spain) have been approved for Afrijet Airlines by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Afrijet intends to commence operation to London through these two European destinations starting in December 2006, using B757-200 and B767. Flight logistics are at an advanced stage for this operation.

This is in addition to several Continental, Regional and Domestic routes covering over ten (10) destinations in West and Central African regions to be operated through the use of MD83, A310 and B737-800 series, the latest of its kind in Boeing inventory."

So Afrijet will operate 737NG, A310, MD83, B757 and B767 ?!? That is a VERY diverse fleet for a start-up!

viasa

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:52 am

They have an MD-83 on the ground in Lagos and are expected to start services to Douala, Kinshasa and Luanda shortly.

Never seen a photo of this aircraft. What's the registration and MSN of this aircraft?

All flights would now be served by the MD-83: http://www.afrijetairlines.com/schedule.htm

KL577
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:19 am

Quoting Viasa (Reply 42):
Never seen a photo of this aircraft. What's the registration and MSN of this aircraft?

A (small) picture of the MD-83 is on their website:

http://www.afrijetairlines.com/information.htm

It was delivered to Lagos a few weeks ago. Don't know the registration.

VC-10

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 37):
Is there any further reports of the old Nigeria Airways fleet.

When I was out there at the end of last month, there was a 310 & a DC10 parked in what can be best described as a field out near the cargo terminal. They shared the field with the Hydro 747.

KL577
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting KL577 (Reply 38):
Afrijet intends to commence operation to London through these two European destinations starting in December 2006, using B757-200 and B767.

It seems Air Italy provides a B757 to Afrijet to start European Operations. According to their website the B757 will fly LOS-LYS-LGW three times a week. LOS-LYS will be operated with Afrijet code, 6F, while LYS-LGW will be operated by Air Italy with iata code I9.

Is this for real?

EurostarVA

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:12 pm

Nigeria Update!

Abound rumours that ARIK AIR has bought 2 x 737-800s and 2 x A330-300s.
The 737s will be delivered fresh (!?) from Boeing plant in January, while the A330s will be delivered mid-2007. Arik's two 737-300s have been returned to the US following an inspection of their engines which revealed severe rusting...

In other news, the following airlines have been grounded by NCAA for safety reasons ranging from defective tires to operation of a single aircraft:
_ (Excuse my humor twist!)

Sosoliso Airlines (SOS!)
Spaceworld (Soon Proposing Another Crash Event)
Fresh Air (Freight Expecting Spoilage and Havoc) they ran out of Aerosol!
IRS (Improbability of Rescue or Survival!)
Nicon Airways (Nigerian Con Air)

Routes:

Chanchangi resumed Owerri-Abuja
Arik started Lagos-Calabar and Abuja-Calabar

Fleets:

AERO expecting its latest baby: A B737-400 , a first in Nigeria.

Airports:
Port Harcourt (PHC) might reopen in December, only this time the contractor (Julius Berger Nigeria) will use a newly-paved road to access a spanking-new project: PHC's second runway!
The NAF Airbase has reopened in PHC but so far only the President, State Governor, and Shell are using it.

Akwa Ibom Airport construction is progressing apace. In fact phase 1 might really open next year after all (at least the runway, ramp, and temporary buildings). The main terminal might open late next year. The question: Will the airport attact customers? And I mean passenger airlines, cargo carriers, and maintenance customers? Only time will tell if this luxury escapade will pay off!

[Edited 2006-11-20 13:15:57]

na

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:45 am

What about Kabo Air and its old 747s?

viasa

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 43):
In other news, the following airlines have been grounded by NCAA for safety reasons ranging from defective tires to operation of a single aircraft:
_ (Excuse my humor twist!)

Sosoliso Airlines (SOS!)
Spaceworld (Soon Proposing Another Crash Event)
Fresh Air (Freight Expecting Spoilage and Havoc) they ran out of Aerosol!
IRS (Improbability of Rescue or Survival!)
Nicon Airways (Nigerian Con Air)

Very interessting. But I'm little bit surprised about IRS. The is nothing at www.ministryofaviationng.org - where have you this information from?

ENU

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:09 am

More rumours about Arik Air.
Can anyone confirm that they signed an agreement with MAS to buy two B747-400's (for their flights to the US presumably)?

Thanks,
ENU

EurostarVA

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:36 am

I have big doubts about Arik Air. They barely started with CRJ-900s, better learn to walk before running! Moreover their American flights will not take off before Nigeria gets CAT1 status...

Has anyone flown Arik Air's local flights yet? Would be great to see a trip report.

miamix707

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:58 am

737-300s have been returned to the US following an inspection of their engines which revealed severe rusting...

I know one of those was painted in Miami, but it wasn't there this weekend. I wonder where it could be getting fixed?

AERO expecting its latest baby: A B737-400 , a first in Nigeria.

That baby has been painted in Miami for a few weeks already and looks ready for delivery. Waiting for some payment by the company maybe?

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 47):
Moreover their American flights will not take off before Nigeria gets CAT1 status...

The chances of that happening anytime soon don't look too good..

EurostarVA

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 48):
The chances of that happening anytime soon don't look too good..

ICAO just concluded its assessment. Hopefully something good will come out in the next few months. Reasons include NCAA autonomy (passed into law days ago), much stricter safety oversight, and the immediate release of a budget to fix all airports from A to Z and I mean runways to ATC facilities and new weather forcasting technologies.