xpfg

Virgin America Sends Second Plane To SFO

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:50 am

The second aircraft to SFO for Virgin America has just arrived. Last one was N625VA, this one is N624VA...another name unveiling maybe? It comes pretty much around the same exact time of the week as the last one did, so I wonder if something will happen on Wed./Thur. yet again?

This is getting interesting... Smile

walter747

RE: Virgin America Sends Second Plane To SFO

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 am

when is the DOT actually going to approve them?
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

JetBlueAUS

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 1):
when is the DOT actually going to approve them?

This question is just as repetitive as, "When is NW going to retire their DC-9's?"  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

ghost77

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 am

Sadly to see they're blocking MR Branson on this venture! As we speak N621VA and N623VA, 2 NEW A320s will be leased to TAM soon as PR-MHE and PR-MHF respectively.

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

FutureFO

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Way toooo much capacity in the US skies. I think this and Skybus should be blocked.
I Don't know where I am anymore

COEWR

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 4):
Way toooo much capacity in the US skies. I think this and Skybus should be blocked.

Since this is a free market economy, a carrier can NOT be blocked due to "too much competition". The government has no right to tell investors they can not start a business. It is up to the investors to invest their capital wisely and make their product stand out from the other products being offered. Remember, competition and survival of the fittest is the best option for consumers because it brings on competition, better prices, and better products among other things.

-C

chrisnh

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Quoting COEWR (Reply 5):
Since this is a free market economy, a carrier can NOT be blocked due to "too much competition".

Well, this is a topic for another thread, really, but the Wright Ammendment is essentially that: a mechanism to 'block' flights at DAL because there is 'too much competition' over at DFW. The Ammendment is being phased out (albeit gradually), but it was clearly an attempt by AA to wield political power to minimize nearby competition...just as Virgin America is being held hostage by 'political power.'

I do agree that there might be too much metal flying around, but these legacy carriers show their true colors when they have to use our government as their bully pulpit. In the end, it all comes down to votes: the legacy carriers represent tons of voter constituents in the states they operate in while Virgin America doesn't.

Chris in NH

jacobin777

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Where is the plane parked at? Maybe if I have some time today, I'll take a drive to SFO and take a few photos.. Smile
"Up the Irons!"

hiflyer

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 3):
N621VA and N623VA, 2 NEW A320s will be leased to TAM soon as PR-MHE and PR-MHF respectively.

If that is the case then even VA does not expect startup in the near term...name a couple aircraft to keep public relations alive but startup looks to be farther away.

xpfg

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 7):
Where is the plane parked at? Maybe if I have some time today, I'll take a drive to SFO and take a few photos..

Hey, Jacob. It's at Signature, but it's really not in a good spot, especially for light. If you have airside access, it's another story. Looks beautiful from the correct angle.  Smile

jacobin777

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Xpfg (Reply 9):
Hey, Jacob. It's at Signature, but it's really not in a good spot, especially for light. If you have airside access, it's another story. Looks beautiful from the correct angle.  Smile

Thanks Xpfg... Smile

Sux...I don't have access to airside, looks like I'm s.o.l.... hissyfit 
"Up the Irons!"

LAXintl

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Decision on Virgin America's application is likely due in a short period of time.

DOT had set early August deadline for submissions of comments by 3rd parties, with VX given two add'l weeks for rebuttal submissions.

A 90 day time frame to make its final rulling on the carriers fitness is about the average which the DOT has taken the last decade for carrier certification.

This could see the decision as early as mid/late November. As a worst case I'd expect a ruling by New Years timeframe.

[Edited 2006-11-07 16:21:57]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Motorhussy

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Sadly to see they're blocking MR Branson on this venture!

Not Branson they're blocking, but an idea of Sir Richard's which is being funded by American investors. This is an American airline based on the successful Virgin LCC model backed by the equity in the global Virgin brand.

The US majors are doing their best to make it appear like a foreign airline when it is not; a deliberate tactic to slow its entry to market. Qantas used a similar strategy in Australia with Virgin Blue, now the second largest domestic carrier in Oz.

Bring on the Virgin (Pacific?) flights between the two continents' hubs! BNE-SFO direct.

MH
come visit the south pacific

VgnAtl747

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 12):
Not Branson they're blocking, but an idea of Sir Richard's which is being funded by American investors. This is an American airline based on the successful Virgin LCC model backed by the equity in the global Virgin brand.

The US majors are doing their best to make it appear like a foreign airline when it is not; a deliberate tactic to slow its entry to market. Qantas used a similar strategy in Australia with Virgin Blue, now the second largest domestic carrier in Oz.

Exactly! I'm so fed up of people saying this is a foreign airline. The model may be Branson's, but he only holds a minority stake (in line with US laws).
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

ChiGB1973

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:37 am

2 NEW A320s will be leased to TAM soon as PR-MHE and PR-MHF respectively

Maybe they should just change it to a leasing company? Less competition?

M

baw716

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:57 am

I'm a little surprised to hear that two of Virgin's A320s are being leased out to TAM. I would think that the airline would want its fleet around if the DOT grants their certificate.

We'll know after today what happens in our government (if there is a change in control in Congress...likely in the House of Representatives, less likely in the Senate), but I would imagine that Virgin will have trouble getting anything approved before the new year.

Even then, if they are leasing their aircraft out to other carriers, maybe it isas I have said before: Virgin is waiting until things settle down a bit in the industry before they start operations. It is still a bad time to start new; there is a lot of capacity in the US right now. However, it isn't the capacity that is the problem. It is the fact that there are too many airlines that have cost structures that will make profitability problematic that is driving the current mess in the US airline industry.

If Virgin starts in 2007, they will have a tough go. Then again, if they don't start in 2007, will they ever start?

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

ASMVPGOLD

Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:13 am

SFO seems like an odd place to park aircraft for a few weeks. I thought the ramp space there was rather limited.
721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,741/2/3/4,752/3,762/3/4,772,DC9/30/50/80/90,DC10,MD11,L1011,F100,319,320,332,CRJ,ERJ,DH8/2/4

jacobin777

Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:15 am

Bring on the Virgin (Pacific?) flights between the two continents' hubs! BNE-SFO direct.

Quoting VgnAtl747 (Reply 13):
Exactly! I'm so fed up of people saying this is a foreign airline. The model may be Branson's, but he only holds a minority stake (in line with US laws).

If you guys ran UA/AA/CO, etc...what would you do? Stall as much as possible or say.."come on in and take some of our profits..we want the competition"?...If you guys were the CEO of such a company, no disrespect, but I would petition the various board of directors to have you fired...

These other carriers are trying to protect their turf in anywhich way possible...
"Up the Irons!"

Crosscountry

Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 am

Land of the free?
The major carriers in the US are affraid of competition, particularly competition which will force them to improve their domestic product.
American, Continental et al have no business in preventing a new carrier starting up.
Typical US protectionist economics at work.
It shouldn't matter a jot whether US markets are already crowded.
A true free market ecomony would welcome the competition and the benefits it would bring for passengers.
VX is US owned, Branson has a minor stake.
Why the hold up?

viasa

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:13 am

2 NEW A320s will be leased to TAM soon as PR-MHE and PR-MHF respectively.

It would be N621VA and N623VA.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 2):
This question is just as repetitive as, "When is NW going to retire their DC-9's?"

With about the same answer. "Not in our lifetime."  Wink
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ghost77

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:34 am

Yeap I'm totally aware of this, and of course, its just SRB idea behind and American investors, but its REALLY SAD to see VA start-up blocked by either DOT or other american carriers... shame on them!

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

DC10extender

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 7):
Where is the plane parked at? Maybe if I have some time today, I'll take a drive to SFO and take a few photos

Great, we would love to see some photos of the plane.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

jacobin777

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 23):
Great, we would love to see some photos of the plane.

Unfortunately, its not going to happen... Sad

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 10):
Quoting Xpfg (Reply 9):

Thanks Xpfg... Smile

Sux...I don't have access to airside, looks like I'm s.o.l....  hissyfit 
"Up the Irons!"

as739x

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:20 am

ASMVPGOLD: I think it more marketing ploy. Let the locals see that new airline is in fact real. Come see the planes sitting at the airport kind of thing. There is still some room over in the area. But thats the reason its at Signature FBO, not plot 41 where UA will say they need the room to park their planes.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Charliejag1

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:41 am

MR Branson

That's Sir Richard Branson to you.