Chi-town
Topic Author

Airtran Ramp Agents

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:50 am

Does anyone know how much Airtran ramp agents make? I tried looking on their website and couldn't find it. I wanted to compare it to United Ramp pay of $9.74/hr. Also, Does anyone know if you MUST attend the 2 week training in Atlanta?

Thanks

travatl

RE: Airtran Ramp Agents

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:11 am

Starts at $10/hour. ($10.35 for shifts that start after 2P). And yes, you must attend the training....

srbmod

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:12 am

Training is at ATL, as that is where their training center is (holdover from when ValuJet was HQ'd in Atlanta).

Quoting Travatl (Reply 1):
Starts at $10/hour. ($10.35 for shifts that start after 2P).

When did that change? I take it that it's a systemwide pay scale now, as I remember some outstations had higher starting pay than ATL (Like BOS and LGA for example)?

[Edited 2006-11-09 00:16:52]

OttoPylit

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:07 am

Starts at $10/hour. ($10.35 for shifts that start after 2P).

Airtran has always offered higher than average pay to retain people since the turn-over rate is so high. Its pretty much a revolving door.

Quoting Chi-town (Thread starter):
I wanted to compare it to United Ramp pay of $9.74/hr.

Let's see, I can get paid $10 hr and fly to about 50 grand cities in the US such as MLI and CAK, and work with minimum staffing and only get to work with 717's or 737's, or I can go to work for UA, get paid a mere 30 cents less, but be able to fly to more cities(domestic and international) than I can think of, including such exotic places like BKK, LHR, FRA, CDG, FCO, SYD, HNL, NRT, GIG, GRU, SCL, PVG, etc., get easy ID90 benefits on any airlines that do not fly to my cities, work with able staffing, and get to work airplanes from a 737 up through to a 747-400, while throwing in a few Airbuses to boot.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

malaysia

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:13 am

LAS has Airtran Ramp??? I thought Swissport handled FL ramp in LAS?

Does FL have a Union on the ramp?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

avconsultant

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 3):
Let's see, I can get paid $10 hr and fly to about 50 grand cities in the US such as MLI and CAK, and work with minimum staffing and only get to work with 717's or 737's, or I can go to work for UA, get paid a mere 30 cents less, but be able to fly to more cities(domestic and international) than I can think of, including such exotic places like BKK, LHR, FRA, CDG, FCO, SYD, HNL, NRT, GIG, GRU, SCL, PVG, etc., get easy ID90 benefits on any airlines that do not fly to my cities, work with able staffing, and get to work airplanes from a 737 up through to a 747-400, while throwing in a few Airbuses to boot.

Come on Otty. The ID90 and choice of cities maybe. As for which type of plane they work, they'd prefer working something smaller for more pay. Be sides, it appears the days of a career ramp employee are going away. Outside of a hub, airlines are smart by outsourcing these jobs to a ground handler who can be more efficient by working multiple airlines/air cargo carriers.

aa757first

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 4):

I'm fairly sure they don't. I know IAM has been really trying to unionize them, but I'm pretty sure they didn't succeed. I might be confusing them with CO though...

AAndrew

malaysia

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 am

Airtran has always offered higher than average pay to retain people since the turn-over rate is so high. Its pretty much a revolving door.

Jetblue went to 11.00 earlier this year? but I thought B6 was not having turnover problems. but the 11/Hr is a pretty nice feature for B6 ramp compared to 8.75 at WN still.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

73G

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 4):
LAS has Airtran Ramp??? I thought Swissport handled FL ramp in LAS?

FL Ramp in LAS is handled by Worldwide. The Swissport contract ended earlier this year sometime. And no, AirTran ramp and c/s are not unionized.

and get to work airplanes from a 737 up through to a 747-400, while throwing in a few Airbuses to boot.

Which is cool for about a week. After that, one bag bin looks just like the next. And most rampers would rather work a smaller aircraft with less bags.

Chi-town
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:17 pm

work with able staffing, and get to work airplanes from a 737 up through to a 747-400, while throwing in a few Airbuses to boot.

keep, in mind, i am a college student and I would be working at BMI for Airtran.

73G

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 9):
keep, in mind, i am a college student and I would be working at BMI for Airtran.

In that case, go for it. Because remember, in BMI, you wouldn't be working for United, you'd be working for whichever Express carrier runs c/s and ramp there. As far as AirTran is concerned at BMI, three daily ATL flights and one MCO flight four days a week. The work is easy, the pay is good, and our employees there are excellent. They are very sharp but also very friendly. BMI is a very nice little airport!

Chi-town
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:25 pm

73G, Do you work for Airtran?

callsigncitrus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 pm

gor for FL in BMI. BMI has a really nice pretty much brand new airport. At least when you work for airtran in bmi, you know your working for airtran and nobody else. Theres alot of people that work at these outstations that dont really techincally work for "united" or "Delta" and have zero flight benefits and make crap for money. Airserv in MLI for United express and is a good example. They have pretty much no flight benefits. If you take AirTran over United, you will have alot more job security in my opinon. (airtran as a whole is making money while United really isnt) plus in bmi you would be working crjs and erjs and those suck compared to a B717 or a B737. Trust me. cheers.

DeltaGuy

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 5):
As for which type of plane they work, they'd prefer working something smaller for more pay.

You've never worked a k-loader before then....doing 767/777's is a blast when you have one of those babies. Better than crawling in countless MD bins all day.

Weigh it out....you can work for a legacy carrier that is now doing better money wise, and have some awesome benefits and experience alot of neat things systemwide, not to mention future opportunities. United has a proud history, and despite it's downfalls in the past, is still a good airline. Where else can you fly a 747 for free?

Or you can work for a second tier airline that, as Otto mentioned, only flies to cities that'll subsidize them (hell, your $10/hr is probably financed through Wichita's subsidies). Have fun working your 717 and the occasional 737, and enjoy the dismal work environment- I have 2 friends that worked/work for FL and they hated every minute of it- a crappy company breeds crappy culture, and you'll be spoon fed it. Three months is tenure there. It's still ValuJet, just a different paintscheme. You'll be on the lowest of the LCC totem pole...worse than a WN employee (that's a joke, WN is a good place to work these days). Enjoy working for a bunch of scabs.

Unless you like getting your jodies off by looking at Elton John on the side of a 717, I say stick with UA.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Chi-town
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 13):
Have fun working your 717 and the occasional 737, and enjoy the dismal work environment- I have 2 friends that worked/work for FL and they hated every minute of it- a crappy company breeds crappy culture, and you'll be spoon fed it.

How so is the work dismal? Spoon fed what?

avconsultant

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:37 pm

have some awesome benefits and experience alot of neat things systemwide, not to mention future opportunities

Diminishing benefits with a future of wondering if you're going to be outsourced or your company will be acquired or vice versa. That's promising.

It's still ValuJet, just a different paintscheme. You'll be on the lowest of the LCC totem pole...worse than a WN employee (that's a joke, WN is a good place to work these days). Enjoy working for a bunch of scabs.

Call it whatever, B6, WN and FL are the industry leaders. Yes, Legacy experienced profits this year attributed unforcasted loads when gas was $3/gal. They will still have to face the fact of cutting capacity. DL is in a unique situation by abandoning their Int'l service Post 9/11, so they have something to shift the aircraft instead of parking them. AMR will have to figure out what to do along with UAL and NWA.

What will set FL aside their cost will drop 5%/year where no other carrier can make that claim. Would I want to work for them? Hmm probably not. Would I want to own their stock, sure. As for the scabs, signifies an old school term for angry blue collar types who do not accept reality.

atlaaron

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 pm

How hard is it to obtain a ramp agent position at FL? I always see they are hiring. Bet you get bottom of the barrel lodging for those two weeks in ATL.

F9Animal

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 18):
How hard is it to obtain a ramp agent position at FL? I always see they are hiring. Bet you get bottom of the barrel lodging for those two weeks in ATL.

Trust me, they get plenty of apps. The background checks seem to be the stopper for a majority of those that apply. Out of 10 applicants at an airline I worked at, only 2 passed everything.

Starts at $10/hour. ($10.35 for shifts that start after 2P). And yes, you must attend the training....

$0.35 per hour is not bad compared to UA's payscale. And how long does it take to get the first raise at UA? Pay is important, and 35 cents adds up. Also, I would be happy to work a 717 compared to a 747. Less bags, less back aches. Air Tran has more than just their airline you can fly. The pass agreements with other airlines are just as good. Local station agreements can equate to free air travel on other airlines. I would not be surprised if Air Tran has some smaller stations that gets freebies on UA and many other carriers. I got free tickets on just about every airline. I could even fly free on BA and Virgin.

Being a former UA employee myself, I have to say that UA's employee travel program was billshiet. I had to pay for travel when I worked for them. LAS to LAX was about $4.00-$6.00 each way in coach. If I got first class, it was double. I flew IAD to SFO on several occasions in First Class, and it cost me almost a whole paycheck (part time ya know!). I am not sure if they still charget the $0.003825 per mile on UA (something like that), but I can say that it sucks!

Quoting Chi-town (Thread starter):
Does anyone know how much Airtran ramp agents make? I tried looking on their website and couldn't find it. I wanted to compare it to United Ramp pay of $9.74/hr. Also, Does anyone know if you MUST attend the 2 week training in Atlanta?

Thanks

I would suggest applying. If you can sneak away for 2 weeks, then it would be worth your time. UA is a fine airline, but you have to look at the benefit side of it. Medical/Dental/Vision/401k/travel/perks.......... If I had to choose between the 2, I would certainly jump on Air Tran.
I Am A Different Animal!!

VonRichtofen

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 19):
$0.35 per hour is not bad compared to UA's payscale. And how long does it take to get the first raise at UA? Pay is important, and 35 cents adds up. Also, I would be happy to work a 717 compared to a 747. Less bags, less back aches. Air Tran has more than just their airline you can fly. The pass agreements with other airlines are just as good. Local station agreements can equate to free air travel on other airlines. I would not be surprised if Air Tran has some smaller stations that gets freebies on UA and many other carriers. I got free tickets on just about every airline. I could even fly free on BA and Virgin.

Being a former UA employee myself, I have to say that UA's employee travel program was billshiet. I had to pay for travel when I worked for them. LAS to LAX was about $4.00-$6.00 each way in coach. If I got first class, it was double. I flew IAD to SFO on several occasions in First Class, and it cost me almost a whole paycheck (part time ya know!). I am not sure if they still charget the $0.003825 per mile on UA (something like that), but I can say that it sucks!

You cannot compare working for a major over a LCC. Sure a 747 carries more bags, but widebodies are much easier on the body than bulk loaded narrowbodies. Using the controls on an FMC loader doesn't cause many back aches. Unlike humping 120 bags into flight after flight while constantly under the gun to work like you're in a sweatshop in order to maintain precious OTP. And sure they may start 35 cents higher per hour. But let's see who's making more after 3 years, plus benefits and stuff.

As for the flight passes, how can you say a major airlines employee travel sucks? Just because you have to pay $6.00? Give me a break!! I'd sooner pay and get to fly anywhere in the WORLD on ANY airline (Zed fares baby) for next to nothing then get free passes on some rinky dink domestic runs... please...

Kris
AC ramp YYC

atlaaron

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Trust me, they get plenty of apps. The background checks seem to be the stopper for a majority of those that apply. Out of 10 applicants at an airline I worked at, only 2 passed everything.

What is so tough about the background check? Do most people fail for have criminal stuff on their record or what?

theweave33

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:38 pm

For a college airline fan like me is the ramp job a great experience? The freezing temptures to the radiating heat off the tarmac, does the love of aircraft really make the job worth it or am I better off keeping my better paying restaurant job?

Since I'm not pursuing a career in aviation this is could be my only chance to work around aircraft so I wonder if I better take my opportunity now.

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Theweave33 (Reply 22):
For a college airline fan like me is the ramp job a great experience? The freezing temptures to the radiating heat off the tarmac, does the love of aircraft really make the job worth it or am I better off keeping my better paying restaurant job?

Since I'm not pursuing a career in aviation this is could be my only chance to work around aircraft so I wonder if I better take my opportunity now.

apply for the tsa at your airport
u get 13.50 an hour starting
u get benefits
u don have to work outside in the cold
u don lift as much
u still see planes all the time and on breaks u can go on the ramp and just chill

bond007

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:43 am

All this discussion on travel perks is OK, as long as you understand how often you're gonna use it. You can discuss free flights to Europe as much as you like, but if you're going to fly free from BOS-FLL once a year, and save $200, you might want to put other benefits higher on the list....like healthcare, 401(k), etc. etc.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

antoniemey

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting 73G (Reply 8):
And most rampers would rather work a smaller aircraft with less bags.

Bring on the CRJs flying a 45 minute hop with 20 PAX!

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 23):
u still see planes all the time and on breaks u can go on the ramp and just chill

I've yet to see a TSA security checkpoint agent with authorization to go outside of the terminal at any airport.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

airtran737

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 am

You need to realize that if you work anywhere other than ATL you will be cross trained and will work the ticket counter and ramp.

As for the Delta haters, they can blow it out their ass. I was a very happy AirTran employee, and leaving the company was one of the hardest choices that I have ever had to make. It all came down to a quality of life issue, and unfortunately I had to move on. AirTran is a good place to work. I enjoyed my four and a half years there, and would go back for a second helping. In fact when I get enough flight hours I have three guys who are going to help get me a class date in the 737. You'll have fun working for AirTran, and like others have said, you would be working for an express carrier in BMI and would make about $7.50-$8.25 to start out. Good luck with your decision .
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 26):

I've yet to see a TSA security checkpoint agent with authorization to go outside of the terminal at any airport.

do it all the time at jfk and lga

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:48 am

Do they get time and a half after they work 40 hours? Whats the top out pay for the agents and at how many years. Thanks!!!
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

F9Animal

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 20):
As for the flight passes, how can you say a major airlines employee travel sucks? Just because you have to pay $6.00? Give me a break!! I'd sooner pay and get to fly anywhere in the WORLD on ANY airline (Zed fares baby) for next to nothing then get free passes on some rinky dink domestic runs... please...

Yikes!!! Please tell me your not that rude to your passengers!!! Let me start by correcting you..... I never said that a major airlines employee travel sucks. When I worked for UA, I paid $6.00 from LAS to LAX one way. LAX to IAD was about $25.00-$75.00 one way, depending on class. Now, get the calculator warmed up...... Back then I was making $7.00 per hour, and had to pay XXX amount of $$$$'s to travel, that was a bit painful on the pocket.......

Now lets compare "the rinky dink" airline you are talking about, and say your making $0.35 per hour more, and got to fly for free? Garsh, I done think I done might save me self a bit of money there earl.........

And before you fire back, are you saying that Air Tran is a "rinky dink" airline? LOL!!! And who just got out of bankruptcy? Please.....

Oh yes, and I would like to add that I have the upmost respect for the majors, I just do not respect the way they have treated their employees lately.

Oh yes, Frontier for example is not only one of the funnest airline jobs I have ever had, and for that, I would never ever ever go back to a major. I love my "rinky dink" airlines, and I will close it with that.

You cannot compare working for a major over a LCC. Sure a 747 carries more bags, but widebodies are much easier on the body than bulk loaded narrowbodies. Using the controls on an FMC loader doesn't cause many back aches. Unlike humping 120 bags into flight after flight while constantly under the gun to work like you're in a sweatshop in order to maintain precious OTP. And sure they may start 35 cents higher per hour. But let's see who's making more after 3 years, plus benefits and stuff.

Yes I can compare working for a major over a LCC or a "rinky dink airline". Simple....... I have worked for a LCC, and worked for a major. I have worked for a "rinky dink airline", and got treated much better than I did with the majors I have worked for. MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Did I forget to say much?

At a major, your employee number 995855577775558885558888, starting at $0.35 cents per hour less than that LCC. The employee at the major has to worry about job security, benefits, pensions being wiped away, and just being happy.

And you are beyond correct about the FMC loader and back aches....... Except that you have to load them there bags into the containers that go onto that there FMC loader........... Oh yeah, and a 747 usually has about 400-500 bags? Talk about a back ache!!!!

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 21):
What is so tough about the background check? Do most people fail for have criminal stuff on their record or what?

Great question! Yes, many fail the federal 10 year background check. Many fail to provide the correct information, or stretch the truth just a bit. If they lie about an arrest, it is usually an automatic "send the file to the trash".

Also, many fail the drug and physical tests. Most airlines require a physical agility test. Lifting 70lbs over your head is no easy feat. If the one taking the test is not used to that kind of weight, then it may be very difficult to pass it.

[Edited 2006-11-09 17:59:45]

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:57 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 29):
Do they get time and a half after they work 40 hours? Whats the top out pay for the agents and at how many years. Thanks!!!

yes you do. how many years i am not sure but i think its aboout 40000. You can get promoted and make more as a supervisor or a lead. Its a new and growing agency and they are constantly trying to improve things.

airtran737

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 27):

I didnt say that. I don't know how it got quoted as my message.

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 am

ve yet to see a TSA security checkpoint agent with authorization to go outside of the terminal at any airport.

that was weird here lets try again

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:09 am

wow again same thing strange or maybe i am doing something wrong

F9Animal

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 31):
I didnt say that. I don't know how it got quoted as my message.

Weird! I got quoted on something I did not do either. Glitch in the system perhaps?

turpentyine

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 25):
've yet to see a TSA security checkpoint agent with authorization to go outside of the terminal at any airport.

do it all the time at lga and jfk

BR715-A1-30

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:45 am

When I worked for AirTran for a short time, they ripped me off with only $9.10/hr. No Union either. If they hadn't threw me into pub-lick, I probably would have turned in my badge soon anyway. The job I have now pays me a lot more, is union, and I don't have to worry about getting up out of bed at 3 AM... I can actually HAVE a social life and still get enough sleep to work in the day. I hate to say it, but I tried the airline industry, and it was not at all what I wanted. I literally dreaded going to work every day, and could not wait to go home. Training in itself was an extreme BORE! However, the flight was nice. The station I worked at was also short-staffed, and I can now see why. However, the sups were OK. Dave was alright, and Tom is cool. Thomas was a bit of a hard-ass. All-in-all, I'm glad I'm gone.
Puhdiddle

airtran737

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 37):
Dave was alright, and Tom is cool.

Thanks man, good to know I was liked at the Tran. I miss it.

[Edited 2006-11-09 23:37:03]

OttoPylit

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:22 am

As for which type of plane they work, they'd prefer working something smaller for more pay.

Av, but, but, but this is A.NET!!! Isn't it a requirement to be a fan of every aircraft type and want to work/fly every aircraft type in order to be a member? And I have to agree with DeltaGuy, until you've worked a k-loader on a widebody as compared to scurrying in the ovens that are narrowbody aircraft bins, you haven't lived. Its the ultimate strategy game. Figuring weight and balance and sliding ULD contatiners off and on the plane smoothly is quite challenging. My favorite is the 777 and the little joystick inside the fusalage as compared to a 767 or L-10 with the little handset.

Outside of a hub, airlines are smart by outsourcing these jobs to a ground handler who can be more efficient by working multiple airlines/air cargo carriers.

Don't forget that they also get paid less and have no company or corporate pride to do a job worth caring about. Who cares if bags are broken and busted, I work for comany X.

Quoting Callsigncitrus (Reply 12):
Theres alot of people that work at these outstations that dont really techincally work for "united" or "Delta" and have zero flight benefits and make crap for money

Anybody who works under the Delta name(Delta Connection, etc.) gets free, unlimited flight benefits on Delta. Not sure about anyone else, but thats a fact.

Quoting Callsigncitrus (Reply 12):
airtran as a whole is making money while United really isnt)

Really? What was that loss FL just made the past quarter. It was quite a large number and I believe started with a 4. And FL management blamed it on the Wendy's ads. Thats what you get when you staple free flights to the side of a fast food beverage cup.

You've never worked a k-loader before then....doing 767/777's is a blast when you have one of those babies. Better than crawling in countless MD bins all day.

Can't get any more true than that.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 16):
What will set FL aside their cost will drop 5%/year where no other carrier can make that claim

Airtran was touting having the lowest cost per carrier and STILL posted a consecutive loss again. They are gonna have to lower their costs down to airborne subway standards apparently to make a profit.

Also, I would be happy to work a 717 compared to a 747. Less bags, less back aches. Air Tran has more than just their airline you can fly. The pass agreements with other airlines are just as good. Local station agreements can equate to free air travel on other airlines

Have you ever worked a widebody? Your not stacking bags in a 747, your dropping them into a can. Not much of a back-ache there as you have plenty of space and people, thats from first hand experience. However, scurring around a 3 foot bin in a 717 stacking 80 lbs bags will put your back out like nobody's business. As for pass agreements, at UA you could process your own ID90's or ZED fares, whereas with FL, you would have to send it through their pass bureau and hope it gets seen, etc. And I've seen a list of their airline partner. Lots are charter type airlines that you've rarely heard of. At a major, you're pretty much guaranteed benefits on any other airline, even your STAR Alliance partners. Much better travel benefits. Hop on an airplane and off to Australia for a week of surfing in the sun, or go through the pass bureau at Airtran and hope for a dead-last standby priority on Sun Country to Laughlin, NV? Hmmm?

I see I did not even have to reply before. I just repeated everything the Red Baron just quoted.  Big grin

That...is....scary!!!! To have a fellow ramper who got some kind of deal with a prosecutor to stay out of San Quentin is a very scary thought. And this guy has a SIDA badge?

As for the Delta haters, they can blow it out their ass.

Now, thats not very nice. But then again, anything you ever say rarely is.

I was a very happy AirTran employee, and leaving the company was one of the hardest choices that I have ever had to make.

Really? Congratulations dude, I'm proud of ya. See, even Airtan supervisors don't stick around for long. Not a personal jab, just an observation.

It all came down to a quality of life issue, and unfortunately I had to move on.

See...told ya so.

In fact when I get enough flight hours I have three guys who are going to help get me a class date in the 737.

Why didn't you just go the cheaper route and go military? No college degree or something? Heck, military backgrounds lend lots of credibility and get you a lot more hours in complex aircraft that airlines LOVE to see. Take it from a military veteran, you wouldn't have been disappointed.

You'll have fun working for AirTran, and like others have said, you would be working for an express carrier in BMI and would make about $7.50-$8.25 to start out.

See, Airtran737 even says that by working for Airtran, you'll be working for an express carrier in BMI and making $7.50 to start out. I thought it was $10. No wonder FL turnover is so high.

Now lets compare "the rinky dink" airline you are talking about, and say your making $0.35 per hour more, and got to fly for free? Garsh, I done think I done might save me self a bit of money there earl.........

Which won't matter if you have no interest in travel. However, to be able to fly across the world on a instant whim if you choose is quite wonderful. And I think you are comparing majors to LCC's. F9 is a great LCC, and no one is saying LCC's suck, just Airtran.

The employee at the major has to worry about job security, benefits, pensions being wiped away, and just being happy.

Yea, the employee at the LCC doesn't have to worry about it because they are provided any of that anyway. Funny, isn't it?

When I worked for AirTran for a short time, they ripped me off with only $9.10/hr.

I hate to say it, but I tried the airline industry, and it was not at all what I wanted.

It was just Airtran. And to think, you thought I was a liar all that time. Ha!!! I'm not unionized either, but I actually get treated fairly by my management. Get companywide bonuses for performances, profit sharing, its nice.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 38):
I only knew of two Eastern "scabs" when I worked for AirTran @ ATL in 1999-2000.

I think he was referring to pilots. Many of Valujet's first pilot groups were full of Eastern scabs.

So, as we can see, even most Airtran lovers hated their jobs there. I think your options and choices are clear. If you love to travel and plan to abuse flight benefits AND work smaller airplanes(CRJ's as compared to 717's), then UA is the clear winner here. And they won't jerk you around with your schedule and allow you to focus on college.

Good luck man.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

atlaaron

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:23 pm

I already have a full-time career but would not mind doing a little part-time aviation work for some aviation exposure. I saw FL has a part-time ramp position open at PIT, what do you think?

crogalski

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 7):
Jetblue went to 11.00 earlier this year? but I thought B6 was not having turnover problems. but the 11/Hr is a pretty nice feature for B6 ramp compared to 8.75 at WN still.

i believe thats only in the JFK, because if I'm not mistaken, b6 is still $10/hr

and WN, starting is 8.75, and then I think they get a $1 or $2 raise after the first year..
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

avconsultant

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 40):
Av, but, but, but this is A.NET!!! Isn't it a requirement to be a fan of every aircraft type and want to work/fly every aircraft type in order to be a member?

LMAO. I forgot, you're correct. From a 16 y/o point of view, it's about the equipment not less work.

Airtran was touting having the lowest cost per carrier and STILL posted a consecutive loss again

Read their statement, the loss had to do with the Wendy's promo. Seriously, when that launched I thought had McDonald's Monopoly lasted this long I would have had a hell of a chance for some serious cash. FL screwed themselves royally on this one.

fxramper

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:11 pm

We pay our rampers at FX $12/hr.  yes   dollarsign 

Also included...

full medical
full dental
full vision
profit sharing
401(k)
tuition reimbursement
Purple Promise bonus
paid vacation
paid personal days
paid floating holidays
and paid sick leave

All p/t permanent employees enjoy the above privileges.

atlaaron

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 44):
We pay our rampers at FX $12/hr.

Hmmmm, be watching for an IM on a.net from me.  Big grin

VonRichtofen

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:08 pm

And before you fire back, are you saying that Air Tran is a "rinky dink" airline? LOL!!! And who just got out of bankruptcy? Please.....

AC has been out of Bankruptcy for 2 years and is profitable. When I say "rinky dink domestic runs" in regards to flight passes, I'm talking about route networks. AirTran's route network is nothing compared to AC or UA.

If you're not a traveler, then fine. But most people I know in their 20's work at airlines to travel. The opportunities to travel working for a major are far, far greater than any LCC. Plus, booking is much easier too, and I'd rather be with a world known airline that has partners all over the globe when flying standby.

Here's an example: A co-worker of mine has a friend who works for a LCC competitor of ours (WS). They don't have access to Zed fares or anything, but they do have some ID agreements with some airlines. Anyway, the WS employee managed to get to Thailand on ID passes, but on trying to return home she was bumped and bumped, and bumped because her priority was pretty much zero and the agents there had never heard of WS. So my co-worker had to fly to Thailand and bring her back on his AC passes using Zed fares. Another case: Zed fares can be used on any airline that flies between the two cities the ticket is for as long as the Zonal cost is the same. I was in Paris trying to get on a BA flight from CDG-LHR but was told the flight was already oversold, so I walked over to the AF counter and they gave me a stand-by boarding card. Go through security, find my gate and wait for the call. Sure enough, I'm called to the counter and not only did I get on, but they gave me Biz class too. And to think I paid maybe $40 for this flight.

LCC employees have no access to any of that. What few ID passes they can get they have to go through their pass office, send faxes, all this other crap. I'm not saying this is the case with you: But I don't think most LCC employees understand just how vast, and sweet the Zed fare system is, or how easy it is non-revving on other majors when you work for a major.

At a major, your employee number 995855577775558885558888, starting at $0.35 cents per hour less than that LCC. The employee at the major has to worry about job security, benefits, pensions being wiped away, and just being happy.

I'm sure exactly how it works in US. But wiping pensions is illegal in Canada, companies can borrow from pension funds, but they must pay it back with interest. If they don't, assets are seized to repay the pension, and/or massive fines are incurred and can even lead to jail time for whoever was responsible I think.

I'm not ripping on you personally, in fact I think F9 is the best LCC out there (don't get me started on the B6 kool-aid drinkers though). F9 is smart in that they can interline bags on other carriers. Hell I've even seen a few F9 tags going onto some AC flights.
It just seemed to me that you were ripping on majors for the one thing they do better than the LCC's and that's employee travel.

Kris

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:05 pm

An airline job is as good as you make it. If you have a good attitude, you'll enjoy your time with any airline. If you get caught up in all the drama, you'll be miserable. Pick an airline that best suits you. FL may not fly 777's to CDG, but it's a financially stable company. I personally wouldn't base my decision on what type of aircraft the airline flies since you get pass benefits on lots of different airlines regardless of which airline you work for.

ORDZW

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:14 am

You must remember that the hub and outstations are very different. The FL employees in BMI are some of the nicest I have ever seen - They enjoy their jobs and it shows. In BMI, Airtran has the only mainline flights serving the airport - 3 717s to ATL daily, and a 717 to MCO 4 times a week. If you work for United in BMI, you will be working for Air Wisconsin, working Mesa aircraft. You will not even have flight benefits on UA, and will have to drive at least 2 hours to ORD, STL, or IND to find a US Airways flight to use the benefits you do have!

If you are going to be in BMI (for college, I am assuming), you should definitely go with FL. Trust me, working for mainline is much better than working for a regional - I know, I've done both!

If you're interested, here are all of the airlines serving BMI:

FL - Mainline 717s - ATL and MCO (Airtran employees)
AA - American Eagle E145s - ORD (Trans States employees)
NW - Mesaba Saab 340s - DTW (Mesaba employees)
UA - Mesa CRJ-200s - ORD (Air Wisconsin employees)
DL - ASA CRJ-200s and Freedom E145s - ATL and MCO (ASA employees)

Hope this helps!
9E, AA, AQ, AX, BA, CO, CP, DH, DL, EV, F9, FL, HA, HP, KL, NK, NW, OH, OO, QX, RP, RW, S5, TW, UA, US, WN, YV, ZK, ZW

airtran737

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:25 am

See, Airtran737 even says that by working for Airtran, you'll be working for an express carrier in BMI and making $7.50 to start out. I thought it was $

The way I stated it was wrong. I meant that if he works for anyone other than AirTran in BMI he will be working for an express carrier.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 38):
only knew of two Eastern "scabs" when I worked for AirTran @ ATL in 1999-2000.

Just about every pilot who has been there since the beginning is an Eastern Scab

Why didn't you just go the cheaper route and go military?

Tore my ACL playing football in college thus voiding my military option.

See...told ya so.

Don't think for one minute that you had any bearing on my decision. I'm in ATL now, I'm going to have to stop by the next time I commute home.

antoniemey

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:52 am

I hate to say it, but I tried the airline industry, and it was not at all what I wanted. I literally dreaded going to work every day, and could not wait to go home.

The thing about working for an airline, any airline, is that it's an entirely different environment from any other workplace. You will either love the job or hate it, there is no middle ground. Those that love it won't always like the weather or the rate of pay, but they'll keep coming to work... those that hate it... well, they usually don't make it past their first month.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Chi-town
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will probably apply for the job in the summer so I can have 2 weeks off for training in ATL.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 14):
Spoon fed what?

Bullshit...

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 14):
Have fun working your 717 and the occasional 737, and enjoy the dismal work environment- I have 2 friends that worked/work for FL and they hated every minute of it- a crappy company breeds crappy culture, and you'll be spoon fed it.

I didn't HATE it. I just didn't like the environment. Normally I can learn something pretty quickly, but what got me in trouble at AirTran, save for the "scandal" was that, I was always forgetting something, and that was due in large part to my untreated ADHD. If I had been getting medicine for ADHD when I worked for FL, chances are, I'd still be there.

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 16):
Bet you get bottom of the barrel lodging for those two weeks in ATL.

Fairfield Inn... SUCKED!!!! Hell, for my current job, when I went to training, they put me in SUITES!!!

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 46):
The thing about working for an airline, any airline, is that it's an entirely different environment from any other workplace. You will either love the job or hate it, there is no middle ground. Those that love it won't always like the weather or the rate of pay, but they'll keep coming to work... those that hate it... well, they usually don't make it past their first month.

Here Here... Another main reason I left AirTran was my back was not going to take the physical abuse. We were understaffed, and most of the time I had help, but there were times when I was lifting by myself, and with my back disorder and spinal disorder, that is NOT a good thing. I started on Jun 28, 06 and I was hired the same day as another guy, so from what I know so far, I'm gone, Tom is gone, and Mike is gone. In a mere matter of months.. Yes, the turnover rate is VERY high. Some of the other guys were pretty cool that I worked with, such as Dan the Man. I do miss working around those large hunks of metal, but my back is thanking me for not sticking around.
Puhdiddle