SFOFlyer
Topic Author

Air New Zealand Switch Terminals At SFO?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:00 am

I noticed that for the past week or so, NZ has been arriving and departing from the non-United International Terminal at SFO. I thought United wanted to keep all of the International Star Alliance members in the same Terminal. If they had a space problem, then they should have just booted BR to the other side. (although I am not sure of all of the politics involved...)

I don't think that NH, OZ, LH, and SQ have moved but I have been flying so much UA domestic, I have not noticed.

If it is the case, then it seems opposite of what they just did at Narita, by consolidating all of the Star Alliance into one Terminal.
UA 1K Million Mile Flyer

xpfg

RE: Air New Zealand Switch Terminals At SFO?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:23 am

Actually,
They have been deplaning at the A gates and then towing later in the day to the G gates for NZ. I see it almost everyday.  Smile

SFOFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:03 am

Interesting... Guess I always saw the arrivals and one day saw a late arrival and thought it was a departure...

Do you know why they don't deplane out of the G gates?
UA 1K Million Mile Flyer

legacyins

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting SFOFlyer (Reply 2):
Do you know why they don't deplane out of the G gates?

I arrived on an International flight into the "G" Terminal last month and noticed construction going on around G94.

The way the International Terminal is set up, it does not matter whether you arrive at the "A" Gates or "G" Gates, everyone exits toward the center of the building. Therefore, the connections to the UA flights are just the same no matter what side you park the aircraft.

SFOFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Legacyins (Reply 3):
The way the International Terminal is set up, it does not matter whether you arrive at the "A" Gates or "G" Gates, everyone exits toward the center of the building.

True. I forgot that all International flights from both the A Gates and the G Gates go to the center area. I do SFO-FRA or SFO-LHR about once every other month and never bothered to look at how to connect onward because SFO is my home.

If you transfer from UA domestic to UA international and take the bus service, I am assuming that it will drop you off inside of security, so you don't have to go back thru. Does anyone know if that is true?

BTW - I think the Roast Beef and "double" Cheese sandwich is the best down at the Deli by G96. Usually get one to eat on all of my flights when I fly out of there.
UA 1K Million Mile Flyer

xpfg

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting SFOFlyer (Reply 4):
If you transfer from UA domestic to UA international and take the bus service, I am assuming that it will drop you off inside of security, so you don't have to go back thru. Does anyone know if that is true?

This is indeed true. The bus continues on to US Air after the international terminal.

One thing to note, however, is that the G and A gates do NOT connect in terms of connections...only exit! If you wish to go from A to G or vice versa, you must re-enter screening.

briguy1974

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:45 am

NZ arrival at A gates due to space restrictions only. G96 I believe is down and this leaves no extra open gates for the NZ plane that sits for around 9 hours. The funny thing is that just a month ago Cathay Pacific flight was offloading at G than towed to A side for late night departure.

I am looking forward to the day that the old US gates in terminal 1 are torn down, making room for last three gates to be installed on the A side.

Anyone have any info on this?

xpfg

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting Briguy1974 (Reply 6):
Anyone have any info on this?

The gates from US Air are in the phase of being torn down as we speak. The word from airport officials (that I have heard thus far) is Virgin America would use those A gates, or some, rather than the popular thought of the old international being brought back into use. The big question is...when (and IF) will Virgin America start?

The completion of the A gates isn't supposed to take much more than 6 months from now....pending weather and removal of the old US Air terminal of course.  Wink

roseflyer

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:54 am

I would hope that NZ can always have departures from the United Side. It makes a difference because United has probably the best Red Carpet Club in the country in the international terminal. I flew NZ SFO-AKL and was one of the very few people in the lounge. It was so spacious and nice at that time of day when United doesn't have 100s of business class, red carpet club and Star Gold customers headed on the many international flights.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

flygirlnz

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting Xpfg (Reply 1):
deplaning

Is this a US thing? I have only heard "deplaning" being used there.

If so, do you board a plane or "plane" a plane.

Seems an odd term to me.

xpfg

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Quoting Flygirlnz (Reply 9):
If so, do you board a plane or "plane" a plane.

Board a plane.  Smile Don't know if it's a US thing...I've heard it amongst many other places in the past.

flygirlnz

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting Xpfg (Reply 10):
I've heard it amongst many other places in the past

Oh ok. In NZ we deboard the aircraft. The word deplane is odd as no-one detrains or deships.

Oh well, thought I would have a bit of a laugh here.

It would be interesting to hear from others and wonder where this term originates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos