Shinkai
Topic Author

FedEx In The Movie "Castaway"

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 am

if you've watched the movie, i have a few questions regarding the movie:

1) to my knowledge, airlines usually do not like to associate themselves with accidents

(no airline would paint their livery on A380's inaugural flight/SQ repainted 9V-SPL from tropical megatop back to the original livery to dissociate itself with 9V-SPK --- this knowledge that i read off a.net and not my own conclusion)

so why did FedEx allow it?

2) what caused the A300 (or was it A310?) to crash? is it the bad weather? it seemed as if one of the doors just ripped open, causing the cabin to depressurize. in reality are there really such a possibility that doors rip open in mid air?

3) after the plane has crashed, the engine seem to be making a sound as if someone pushed the thrust to full and then idle, full and then idle simultaneously. what really caused this sound if this sound is what one really hears after a plane has crashed?
please relax, enjoy your flight... Good Luck!!

GOTbound

RE: FedEx In The Movie "Castaway"

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 am

IRRC a lot of packages are delivered in the end of the movie. That's why, even after a few years on the deserted island, the FedEx package still arrive to their destination.

EK

RichardPrice

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:21 am

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Despite the fact that the plot revolves around the tragic crash of a FedEx plane, the company correctly guessed that the movie would not damage its reputation. FedEx cooperated closely with the filmmakers to ensure that all FedEx materials seen in the movie were authentic. Chuck's "coming-home" scene was filmed on location at FedEx's home facilities in Memphis, Tennessee. According to an interview on the DVD release of the film, FedEx Corporation did not pay for product-placement rights. However, the extensive support that the company provided to the film can be considered a form of payment for the placement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_Away

fxramper

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Shinkai (Thread starter):
1) to my knowledge, airlines usually do not like to associate themselves with accidents

it wasn't for product placement, but for authenticity.

2) what caused the A300 (or was it A310?) to crash? is it the bad weather? it seemed as if one of the doors just ripped open, causing the cabin to depressurize. in reality are there really such a possibility that doors rip open in mid air?

when it shows Tom Hanks (Chuck Nolan) walking up to the ramp, it clearly shows a A300. The bird that crashed in the water was a MD11 though. You can tell when he's above water trying to escape engine #2 attached to the tail section.

t really caused this sound if this sound is what one really hears after a plane has crashed?

the high pitch was the engine and salt water being introduced to the system. it overloads and explodes and sends him flying in his raft.

it seemed as if one of the doors just ripped open, causing the cabin to depressurize.

I believe towards the end of the movie they say there was unlabeled DG in the a/c that exploded.

The most frequently asked question I get from people that find out I work for FX is, "did you see Cast Away?"  yes 

Second most asked question answer, "Yes, Wilson is fine."

gabo787

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 am

what caused the A300 (or was it A310?) to crash?

wasn't it a MD11??

fxramper

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:27 am

The movie has become required viewing for new hires.  bouncy 

bennett123

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 am

I assume that no real aircraft were involved.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 3):
I believe towards the end of the movie they say there was unlabeled DG in the a/c that exploded.

Correct and I believe that they made sure it wasn't plane or crew.

No open liquor is allowed on board either but they made an allowance here.

it clearly shows a A300. The bird that crashed in the water was a MD11 though.

You must consider the Hollywood factor. They wouldn't know the diff if it bit them. Also some scenes were filmed in an MD-11 sim and if I remember correctly in one scene you can see the APU online since that was powering the sim at the time. There's a few other funny facts that shows inconsistences with reality.

antoniemey

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 am

The big thing about that movie for Fed Ex is that the package that survived got delivered in the end. Technically, it actually got returned to the sender, but...

And I believe the movie was originally supposed to feature UPS, but they refused, fearing damage to their image.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:38 am

so are you saying that even if the weather was all fine and dandy, and even if that other pilot could contact Tahiti control(?), the plane would still have crashed anyways?

okay maybe there are no hard answers for this, but would anyone take a guess why would anyone want to put an unlabelled DG in the aircraft?

could it be that the FedEx was carrying the A levels exam papers and some student wanted to make sure it doesn't get to the markers in Cambridge? JUST A WILD GUESS!

anyway thanks for all the interesting answers! Castaway is surely a nice movie to rent off the DVD shop to watch on a saturday night!

[Edited 2006-11-11 16:55:54]

fxramper

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 9):
if that black pilot

was that statement necessary?  confused 

unlabelled DG in the aircraft?

shipping error...occassionaly we get unlabeled dry ice through our ramp...

rent off the DVD shop

it's worth buying...  yes 

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 10):
if that black pilot

was that statement necessary?

sorry i didn't know it was so sensitive here. but i changed it to something more politically correct!

CosmicCruiser

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:13 am

but would anyone take a guess why would anyone want to put an unlabelled DG in the aircraft?

Because SOME unscrupulous shippers don't want to pay for the extra HAZ fees and think if they don't tell no one will find out. EG. the DC-10 cargo fire that destroyed the jet after ldg in Stewart NY. Yes, it happens.

N766UA

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:15 am

what really caused this sound if this sound is what one really hears after a plane has crashed?

It's Hollywood, that's all. The airplane crashed, the fuel lines were severed, and engines cannot run while submerged in water... it wouldn't even be possible in real life. The idea of a man-eating MD-11 engine churning through the water makes for a great hollywood scene, though.
This Website Censors Me

fxramper

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 12):
extra HAZ fees

$40 surcharge to start...

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 11):
politically correct!

much appreciated!!!  yes 

I've got the day off, and am gonna watch the show, and check out some college football also!

Everone enjoy the day/night!

debonair

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:53 am

after the plane has crashed, the engine seem to be making a sound as if someone pushed the thrust to full and then idle, full and then idle simultaneously.

Nearly the same as in "LOST"; isn't it? The L1011 crash landed on the beach and the engine is getting into full thrust, but than exploded...

what caused the A300 (or was it A310?) to crash?

I always thought, that it was a DC-10...

wjcandee

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 13):
and engines cannot run while submerged in water... it wouldn't even be possible in real life.

"Submerged", yes. However, you obviously have never seen this video:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/planecrash

A little more than halfway through the video, after the guy has evacuated his aircraft in the bay, the startboard engine starts up again, and runs for a period of time.

The Danish rich-executive pilot, I hear, actually renamed the replacement aircraft. This one was OY-JET. The new one was OY-WET. Good sense of humor.

leigh pilgrim

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:15 am

The most frequently asked question I get from people that find out I work for FX is, "did you see Cast Away?"

Now that is a class answer, 10 out of 10!

dz09

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:34 am

Glad Wilson is OK.

teva

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:45 am

so why did FedEx allow it?

That's very simple: Fred Smith wanted to be in a movie....  rotfl 
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

CosmicCruiser

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 19):
That's very simple: Fred Smith wanted to be in a movie

I think I gave the answer earlier re: the stipulations..otherwise it wouldn't have been done.

twal1011727

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:47 am

but would anyone take a guess why would anyone want to put an unlabelled DG in the aircraft?

As stated, there are fees added to any D/G shipment.
Sometimes shippers try to send more than is allowed in one particular shipment.

Shippers unintentionally either mislabel or just don't know what is classified as D/G and how much is allowed.
On the extreme rare occasion, shippers intentionally mislabel or disregard the regs just to ship it.
This doesn't happen very much at all and with the liability factor, it could put the company out of business, God forbid, if an incident happens or fined if caught before it happens.

This is where cargo D/G acceptance agent training comes into play. If a misrepresented shipment is discovered...then the appropriate authorities are called in.

Tidbit....Some examples....Nicotine UN1654 class 6.1 Toxic substance (yes...the same stuff in cigarettes) for a pax A/C the limit is 5 litres. In a pure cargo A/C the limit is 60 litres. Another good one is Oxygen generaters UN3356 class 5.1 Oxidizers. Prior to Valuejet 592 a limited amount was allowed on pax A/C (totally forbidden now) but on cargo A/C 25 kg G is allowed under certain circumstances.(This is all per the 2006 IATA D/G/R 47th edition.)
Note....I love to use the Nicotine example whenever I can, people have no clue that its a Toxic substance in pure form.

KD

JFK998

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 12):
Because SOME unscrupulous shippers don't want to pay for the extra HAZ fees and think if they don't tell no one will find out. EG. the DC-10 cargo fire that destroyed the jet after ldg in Stewart NY. Yes, it happens.

Damn! you beat me to it!! Yeah thats usually the case with a lot of shippers in the JFK area as I work in there. I know other places all over the US do it also. Many other companies out sell DG rates to sell to customers that ship DG (i.e. perfumes, dry ice, etc.) by classifying the shipment as general cargo. Not only is that against the law, its quite dangerous as some airlines, or maybe even most abide on the shipment details stating the correct commodity as certain commodities require special packing equiptment, etc.

ShyFlyer

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:25 am

so are you saying that even if the weather was all fine and dandy, and even if that other pilot could contact Tahiti control(?), the plane would still have crashed anyways?

Had they been in contact with ATC, a rescue would have been more likely. Instead of spending years on the island, it would have only been a matter of days.
I lift things up and put them down.

N766UA

Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 16):
"Submerged", yes. However, you obviously have never seen this video:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/planecrash

Of course I have. The engines are totally out of the water, you can't even compare it to the scenario in the movie.... though it is damn funny.
This Website Censors Me

fspilot747

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:29 am

Whats a DG?

filler
filler

boeingfever777

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 am

when it shows Tom Hanks (Chuck Nolan) walking up to the ramp, it clearly shows a A300. The bird that crashed in the water was a MD11 though. You can tell when he's above water trying to escape engine #2 attached to the tail section

Drew... You *ucking rock! Nice movie mistake catch!  yes 

WTF are you btw... I'm firing up the bbq and wifey is pouring up the drinks man!

Game time is in t- 18min.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

walter747

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:51 am

DG

that would be?????
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

EMBQA

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 26):
Drew... You *ucking rock! Nice movie mistake catch!

No...not at all.. The screen shows him walking towards the Security Gate.... NOT the A300 parked close by. This question has come up a dozen or so times and the answer is always the same... the plane that he's on when it crashes.... MD11. All glass cockpit and three throttles. The #2 engine trying to 'eat' him... pretty lame that its still running after crashing into the ocean.

Not really. The line comes from at the end when he goes to see his girlfriend Kelly. She shows him a map and briefs him on where he was found, what island he was on and makes a comment like "they though it was miss labeled dangerous goods that caused the crash... or that is what they think"

Really not a clear statment....plus he's in the cargo area when the plane decompresses and there is no sign of anything like that. Watching the movie it was related to teh storm and massive decompression.

[Edited 2006-11-12 02:06:14]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 am

DG is an acronym for Dangerous Goods. Another term is HAZMAT or Hazardous Materials. These are substances and/or materials that are regulated by the Dept. of Transportation.

andrewuber

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:23 am

I really like that movie, and I think it was a great idea to feature FedEx in the film. It shows how they "take care of their own" for example (like when they fly Chuck Nolan home in a Gulfstream, among other things).

It also shows the public a behind the scenes look at how their packages get from point A to point B, and how doing something stupid can cause people to die (sending unlabeled DG for example).

WILSON!!! Remember Chuck telling Wilson about his dentist? Dr. James Spalding???  rofl 

[Edited 2006-11-12 02:24:16]
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

fe727

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:43 am

Well as a FX'er I guess I have to get in on this one. UPS as the first choice? Not a chance according to the folk lore. The script was written in mind of just FedEx, which at first they balked at. UPS wouldn't have the balls to agree to agree to a chance like this. (No pun intended Wilson!).

There all kinds of hollywood discrestions such as drinking wine in the "jump seat area. Yea right.

dispatcher

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:18 pm

My two cents, from what I understood at the time they were filming the movie, Hollywood was going to make the film using FedEx as plot driver with or without the cooperation of FedEx. The best that could be done was to cooperate to keep the company in as good a light as possible. Of course in the end FedEx did take some hits in the movie.. obviously the plane crashed and all but then again publicity is publicity.

LTU932

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 pm

it clearly shows a A300. The bird that crashed in the water was a MD11 though.

I thought it was an A310, like the one he was on when returning from CDG.

You can tell when he's above water trying to escape engine #2 attached to the tail section.

I never really noticed the number 2 engine catching up with him. I guess I'll have to look harder next time.

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 30):
Remember Chuck telling Wilson about his dentist? Dr. James Spalding???

That was priceless.  rotfl 

usair320

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Debonair (Reply 15):
always thought, that it was a DC-10

couldnt have been. didnt it have the glass f/d of a MD-11?

CosmicCruiser

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Fe727 (Reply 31):
There all kinds of hollywood discrestions such as drinking wine in the "jump seat area. Yea right.

Just curious, as a fedexer, what ya mean? There WERE a number of stipulations but they slid on that one.

JAAlbert

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 11):
sorry i didn't know it was so sensitive here.

It isn't being sensitive, it is being respectful

ikramerica

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 7):
You must consider the Hollywood factor. They wouldn't know the diff if it bit them.

This is just not true at all.

The people in charge of props, sets, costumes, special effects, etc. do painstaking research to make things as authentic as they possibly can. It's their freaking jobs, and for a feature film like Cast Away, they have "top men" on it. Top... Men...

But then it comes time to budget the damn thing, and many cost concerns crop up so that they must match footage of the exterior of one plane with the interior of another. Or they need to play loose with the timeline because the story demands something that didn't exist yet (like Austin Powers' JumboJet).

And since it's the AUDIENCE who is mostly stupid and doesn't know or pay attention (except for a small community of anal geeks who love to complain, but will also see the movie a second or 20th time just to check), it usually doesn't matter.

But if it were up to the filmmakers, continuity would never, ever be broken.

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 18):
Glad Wilson is OK.

One of my favorite family guy lines comes from this:

"Wilson! Wilson!!"
"My name's VOIT you asshole!"

Though I don't think they used asshole...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 32):
Hollywood was going to make the film using FedEx as plot driver with or without the cooperation of FedEx

just a quick question, if they did it WITHOUT the cooperation of FedEx, does FedEx have a case to sue the studio? (for say, damages in reputation and so on.)

LTU932

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 34):
couldnt have been. didnt it have the glass f/d of a MD-11?

I don't know when they shot the film, but it certainly could have been a DC-10. Remember that there is the Boeing MD-10 programme, through which DC-10s get a flightdeck à la MD-11. FedEx is I believe the only MD-10 conversion customer, hence why MD-10s are so rare.

N328KF

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 38):
just a quick question, if they did it WITHOUT the cooperation of FedEx, does FedEx have a case to sue the studio? (for say, damages in reputation and so on.)

In the U.S., you can get away with this if a company's name is culturally universally synomous with a product category.

For instance, Xerox would be hard-pressed to sue someone for making reference to a "Xerox machine" in a movie. FedEx has almost the same cachet.

I would say that the second criteria is if the brand name is not used in a gratuitous manner, and if said use is necessary to further the plot.

A good example would be the use of brand names (specifically Ikea) in Fight Club.

[Edited 2006-11-12 08:02:08]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

sjc4me

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:54 pm

Random thought: I bet this movie would look sweet on an HDTV.
Unable.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:07 pm

whatever it is, i'm delivering my goods through FedEx now! instead of a tarnished reputation because of the crash, i kinda feel like i am part of FedEx after watching the movie!

CosmicCruiser

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 40):
In the U.S., you can get away with this if a company's name is culturally universally synomous with a product category.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 40):
A good example would be the use of brand names (specifically Ikea) in Fight Club.

I would still bet that MOST any reference to a brand name is approved by that co. before hand.

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 42):
instead of a tarnished reputation because of the crash,

I don't see any negative publicity here at all. I've only seen the movie once but if I remember correctly at the end when Helen Hunt tells Hanks about the unlabled DG doesn't she even make reference to a container position? Either way they made sure it wasn't crew or jet.

fxramper

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 43):
Either way they made sure it wasn't crew or jet.

checkmark 

As stated above, the only reason the movie lets you believe the crew can't contact Tahiti control is, if they did, ATC woud know they were X amount of miles off course and would have found the accident site days, rather than years later.

I know its lame, but I'm watching the movie right now on the new 52" DLP!  airplane 

A bit of factual information, at FX, we currently have an employee named Chuck Nolan!  yes 

Longhornmaniac

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 26):
Game time is in t- 18min.

We're not talking about it...

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

dispatcher

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 38):
if they did it WITHOUT the cooperation of FedEx, does FedEx have a case to sue the studio?

From what I remember, and admittedly my memory is not so great, they looked into legal action and decided against it because of the negative publicity that a lawsuit would have generated. All said and done, at the time, I think the general concencus was that they really didn't want the movie to be about FedEx, but since Hollywood could have still made it look like FedEx without really being FedEx what would be the point. One thing they really didn't want was the movie to be about UPS! In the end even with some things us purple people didn't like, it turned out pretty good.

bucky707

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 42):
i'm delivering my goods through FedEx now! instead of a tarnished reputation because of the crash, i kinda feel like i am part of FedEx after watching the movie!

I agree. Further, watching the movie leaves me feeling like FedEx is made up of dedicated employees who will do anything to get my package to it's destination.

edelag

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:38 am

Going a bit out of subject here, but wasn't the flight MEM-KUL? I do remember Tom Hanks saying Malaysia. Although the trip to Malaysia from Memphis is about 8000nm, its most direct way is over Northern Alaska. So how did he end up in the Southern Pacific?
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

XXXX10

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Edelag (Reply 48):

Quoting Edelag (Reply 48):
read 0 times:

Going a bit out of subject here, but wasn't the flight MEM-KUL? I do remember Tom Hanks saying Malaysia. Although the trip to Malaysia from Memphis is about 8000nm, its most direct way is over Northern Alaska. So how did he end up in the Southern Pacific?

Same occurred to me, but he doesn't say that he was going directly to KL he could have been going via Australia.

On another point he draws a map in the sand and says something like "we left Memphis and flew for twelve hours" I am sure that to fly form MEM to where the crash was supposed to be would involve a tech stop probably in Hawaii