zippyjet

Jetways Used For The Classic Props Back In The Day

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:12 pm

I know there was an archived thread relating to turboprops using jetways. But, I'm going back farther. Maybe it was my imagination but, when I was 10, my parents took us to DCA and took us on the observation deck in the classic 1941 terminal. I swore, I saw Eastern Electra's hooked up to the jetways via the rear doors like in BOS. Were there any instances of Connies, DC-7s, Viscounts, Convair 340, 440 and Martin prop liners tethered to jetways? Anyone remember if prop liners used any jetways at MIA back in the 60s?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

L1011

RE: Jetways Used For The Classic Props Back In The Day

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 am

I remember around 1967 when FRA had only one long jetway in the domestic terminal, I often saw it hooked up to the rear door of a LH Super Constellation. It parked parallel to the terminal, rather than nose in like most aircraft do today.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

charlienorth

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:30 am

Western used to put their Electras on the jetways at MSP,had a faded photo at one time.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

timz

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 am

One of Arend's books has a pic looking down on the TWA terminal at JFK with a 749 Constellation at a jetway. (Several 727s in the pic, so maybe around 1966?) Like he said, it wasn't pointed toward the terminal-- I forget whether the jets at the other jetways were.

Curmudgeon

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Convair prop liners had integral airstairs and top hinged doors that would have prevented using a Jetway. The doors would open, then the stairs unfold from the cabin. The stairs were not independent as they are on DC-9/737 installations.
Jets are for kids

zippyjet

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 1):
I remember around 1967 when FRA had only one long jetway in the domestic terminal, I often saw it hooked up to the rear door of a LH Super Constellation. It parked parallel to the terminal, rather than nose in like most aircraft do today.

As late as 1980 MIA concourse C (Eastern) had long jetways that went straight out and attached to the plane parallel to the terminal. And, in the original Airport (1969) "Lincoln International Airport" featured straight out T type jetways in the fictitious TGA/Trans Global terminal. The start and terminus for that ill fated Rome bound flight on their "Golden Odyssey!"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kenny Ganz

Look closely behind the tail of this Eastern DC-9 and you can spot the long T type Jetway, concourse C.

ANCFlyer

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:48 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 5):
"Golden Odyssey!"

no 

Argosy

yes 

I have never seen a propliner - be it Connie, DC7, or any other - attached to a jetway live and in color. Can't get close enough to a Convairliner anyway - door and integral airstair gets in the way.

I have several books on Eastern and TWA that show early pictures of their prop liners attached to jetways - but always to the rear door. Perhaps a problem clearing the prop/engines with the jetway to use the forward door?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

zippyjet

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 5):
"Golden Odyssey!

Oops middle age moment. I was thinking of another cool aviation site;

L1011

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 am

ANCFlyer:
On the DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, and Connie, boarding was done through the door behind the wing. I have never seen them board passengers through any other door.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos