zippyjet

Jetways Used For The Classic Props Back In The Day

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:12 pm

I know there was an archived thread relating to turboprops using jetways. But, I'm going back farther. Maybe it was my imagination but, when I was 10, my parents took us to DCA and took us on the observation deck in the classic 1941 terminal. I swore, I saw Eastern Electra's hooked up to the jetways via the rear doors like in BOS. Were there any instances of Connies, DC-7s, Viscounts, Convair 340, 440 and Martin prop liners tethered to jetways? Anyone remember if prop liners used any jetways at MIA back in the 60s?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

L1011

RE: Jetways Used For The Classic Props Back In The Day

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 am

I remember around 1967 when FRA had only one long jetway in the domestic terminal, I often saw it hooked up to the rear door of a LH Super Constellation. It parked parallel to the terminal, rather than nose in like most aircraft do today.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

charlienorth

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:30 am

Western used to put their Electras on the jetways at MSP,had a faded photo at one time.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

timz

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 am

One of Arend's books has a pic looking down on the TWA terminal at JFK with a 749 Constellation at a jetway. (Several 727s in the pic, so maybe around 1966?) Like he said, it wasn't pointed toward the terminal-- I forget whether the jets at the other jetways were.

Curmudgeon

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Convair prop liners had integral airstairs and top hinged doors that would have prevented using a Jetway. The doors would open, then the stairs unfold from the cabin. The stairs were not independent as they are on DC-9/737 installations.
Jets are for kids

zippyjet

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 1):
I remember around 1967 when FRA had only one long jetway in the domestic terminal, I often saw it hooked up to the rear door of a LH Super Constellation. It parked parallel to the terminal, rather than nose in like most aircraft do today.

As late as 1980 MIA concourse C (Eastern) had long jetways that went straight out and attached to the plane parallel to the terminal. And, in the original Airport (1969) "Lincoln International Airport" featured straight out T type jetways in the fictitious TGA/Trans Global terminal. The start and terminus for that ill fated Rome bound flight on their "Golden Odyssey!"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kenny Ganz

Look closely behind the tail of this Eastern DC-9 and you can spot the long T type Jetway, concourse C.

ANCFlyer

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:48 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 5):
"Golden Odyssey!"

no 

Argosy

yes 

I have never seen a propliner - be it Connie, DC7, or any other - attached to a jetway live and in color. Can't get close enough to a Convairliner anyway - door and integral airstair gets in the way.

I have several books on Eastern and TWA that show early pictures of their prop liners attached to jetways - but always to the rear door. Perhaps a problem clearing the prop/engines with the jetway to use the forward door?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

zippyjet

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 5):
"Golden Odyssey!

Oops middle age moment. I was thinking of another cool aviation site;

L1011

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 am

ANCFlyer:
On the DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, and Connie, boarding was done through the door behind the wing. I have never seen them board passengers through any other door.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B