SInGAPORE_AIR

British Airways Unveils New Club World Website

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:50 am

Greetings,

Not to spoil the party, but clutching at straws and slightly hungover in Singapore, I just went to

http://www.newclubworld.com

And guess what I found?!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: British Airways Unveils New Club World Website

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:54 am

FWAERJ

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:58 am

I love the look of that cabin... looks even better than BA's F cabin.

Could we be seeing some cannabilization of First yields?
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

Richard28

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks for the links! looks interesting - very neat web site too.

A shame there is no direct aisle access however, and it looks difficult for cabin crew to serve meals/drinks to the middle/window seats - especially if the neighboring aisle seat is in bed mode?

A340600

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:34 am

Yes, it's a very, very impressive improvement, can't believe they've still got 6 abreast, you don't even notice! I was given this link in strict confidence but now it's out, we can shout about it Wink

Amazing work BA biggrin 
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Richard28

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 4):
can't believe they've still got 6 abreast

looks 8 abreast to me!

A340600

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 5):
looks 8 abreast to me!

I meant that, sorry, typo. Yeah, basically, same amount of seats but looks so much less, clever work BA.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

tcxdegsy

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 am

I think it looks fab!!!! Can't wait to try it out!
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

1stfl94

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:49 am

Looks like quite an effort to get into the centre and window seats though...

tcxdegsy

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 8):
Looks like quite an effort to get into the centre and window seats though...

No different from the existing layout - it just looks harder as the build of the seat appears higher in the new version, therefore blocking views to the middle seats.

It's just a shame there's stilll the 'step-over' issue

kaneporta1

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:59 am

Talking about a disappointment. Apart from a slightly wider bed, I don't think the changes are that great. Still far behind SQ, EK and even VS. And that 2-4-2 configuration...I feel sorry for the people having a middle/window seat and a weak bladder during an overnight flight...No chance of going anywhere.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

tcxdegsy

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 am

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 10):
Still far behind SQ, EK and even VS

Don't forget, this is not a First Class cabin. It's not really fair to compare VS with BA in this way, as VS is closer to First than Club.

Even though the step-over is a shame, I'm sure BA would have weighed up any negative feedback from the current Club seat and layout before going ahead with the same again.

The site does look good, and I'm sure it's only showing half the story - it's not just about nuts and bolts - it's about service and ambience too... that's what I'm looking forward to comparing

Richard28

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting TCXDegsy (Reply 11):
Don't forget, this is not a First Class cabin. It's not really fair to compare VS with BA in this way, as VS is closer to First than Club.

It is fair. VS Upper Class and BA New club World are both business class products, and compete directly with each other.

aerohottie

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:21 am

Not impressed at all.... Personally I thing BA should do away with the backwards facing seats and add about 20inches to the seat pitch to allow direct aisle access for all seats.

Not in the same league as VS, NZ, AC, CX... and definitely nothing compared to the new SQ seats.
What?

bastew

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 am

Talking about a disappointment. Apart from a slightly wider bed, I don't think the changes are that great. Still far behind SQ, EK and even VS. And that 2-4-2 configuration...I feel sorry for the people having a middle/window seat and a weak bladder during an overnight flight...No chance of going anywhere.

I had a very similar experience when flying emirates business class. I was in the middle of three seats and it was near impossible to get out. How can you compare emirates with BA? Their food trumps BA completely, but i'm sorry, the seat is very last generation. And the 'middle seat' issue exists as well.

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 13):
Personally I thing BA should do away with the backwards facing seats and add about 20inches to the seat pitch to allow direct aisle access for all seats.

BA are trying to make a very delicate balance with the new Club cabin. On the one hand they want to enhance the product. On the other, they want to be able to fit in as many seats as possible to make the cabin as profitable as possible.

In the customer surveys/research before the new cabin launch, BA's most regular passengers told them they want three things: A fully flat bed (which most airlines still don't offer in Business); a bed wider at shoulder level than the current one (which has now been achieved - the armrests lower to bed position along with the seat to gain a few extra inches). And better privacy than the current product (hence higher walls and new electric opaque divider).

Club World at BA isn't really about 'unrivalled luxury' with a few lashings of gold and diamonds on this that and the other. It is about offering a private club atmosphere within which passengers feel at home with the comfort of a flat bed and high standard food and wine.

It is also about CONSISTENCY. Not offering one type of Business Class seat/service on one aircraft/region and a different one on another. This is frequently the case on the likes of SQ, CX, EK etc. Depending on what aircraft type on which route you are on you don't know what type of seat you will have. I was lucky to be upgraded to SQ Business Class from Brisbane to Singapore. I was so excited. But the seat, what a let down!! Was like our old 'cradle seat' and this was only last year! Our passengers want to know what to expect when they get on a BA long-haul flight. We have only two types of seat/Business Class product: Club Europe for short haul and Club World for longhaul.

Our business passengers, the backbone of our profits, essentially spend their world in three places: Home, the office, and the air. 82% of Club World passengers are travelling on a business related trip, 77% have not paid for their own ticket, their company has.

[Edited 2006-11-13 02:16:54]

Vasu

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 am

I think it really looks nice... I'd really like to see how they layout looks... on the website I can see only one seat

ardian

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:31 am

Wow! Yes I'm impressed  Smile It looks absolutely much better than the old Club World. The colors are more sophisticated than the bright orange and darkblue. Now it looks very stylish and exquisite, better than the 'plastic' look from the old Club World. I love the minimalistic design and the wooden details on the bulkhead. It reminds me of a mix between the F-class from JAL and 2001: A space Odyssey  wink 

Markhkg

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:59 am

Is it safe to assume that the privacy screen (the frosted things) will be lowered during critical phases of flight (ie takeoff and landing) so that the cabin crew can check on the pax if needed?
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

roseflyer

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:31 am

Still far behind SQ, EK and even VS.

SQ and EK don't even have flat seats? How is this far behind them? This business class is fully flat. I wonder how they will do meal services. There looks to be cocoons with a lot of privacy, but it might be claustrophobic.

Quoting TCXDegsy (Reply 11):

BA Club World is priced to compete with VS Upper Class, so they compete. Yes Upper Class is almost at the comfort of first class, but that is not where it competes. People want the best bang for their buck!
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

JAL

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:32 am

Wow!!! Really impressive!
Work Hard But Play Harder

flyingdoc

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:45 am

I think it looks great, a real improvement over the current J class.

lehpron

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Are the plane's cabins supposed to look like a hotel room? That is a whole lot of floor space to waste of a few passengers, IMO. Looks worse than choices airlines had for A380, provided I interpreted the website correctly, which I doubt.  Wink
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

jaysit

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 18):
BA Club World is priced to compete with VS Upper Class, so they compete. Yes Upper Class is almost at the comfort of first class, but that is not where it competes. People want the best bang for their buck!

You don't quite understand.

Some passengers prefer Virgin's Upper Class, but just as many prefer BA to Virgin. Why? BA are consistent, the crew always classy and well-mannered and professional, and the overall product wonderfully subdued and relaxing. Virgin is wonderful, but in its focus on being uber glamorous, it often foregoes the spiffy professionalism that BA is renowned for.

Plus, I still prefer the meals on ClubWorld to VS's UpperClass. Where VS wins out is in the onboard bar, the airport lounges and the IFE (when it works as it should).
Atheism is Myth Understood.

aerohottie

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:01 pm

SQ and EK don't even have flat seats? How is this far behind them?

Do more research
What?

Aeroflot777

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:30 pm

The seat itself looks great! However having the middle seats with no aisle access is extremely uncomfortable. That should have been changed. It's a major inconvenience to the pax who can't get out if the aisle seats are in the "bed" position!

Aeroflot777

jimyvr

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm

The colour actually looks pretty nice.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

B707Stu

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Not sure how impressed I am with it will be like but I'm very impressed with the website!

panam330

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Absolutely stunning! Beautiful job to the designers, and I hope to try it out someday soon!

SapphireLHR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:23 pm

Notice the arm rests raise and lower with different configerations of the seat. The privacy panel is the cleverest thing which does not show in the site, when standing you can see right through (to enable crew to check seat belts etc) but when in the seat at passenger level iit is opaque, clever!!
Any one yet worked out how they have acheived 25% increase in the width on the seat/bed still retaining 8 abreast and without reducing the width of the isle???? The main surprise is still to come.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting SapphireLHR (Reply 28):
The main surprise is still to come.

I'm guessing the seat shell seems to be thin and the armrests recessing.

Furthermore, one notes that the ottoman's width does not cover the main seat (e.g.: the main seat / seat cushioning is wider). Hence one suspects that width at the legs is slightly narrower than at the body. This narrowness coupled with the positions of the NNCW seats could indicate a recipe for slightly more width than the existing NCW.

Am I right?

SapphireLHR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:35 pm

Unfortunately...No..

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting SapphireLHR (Reply 30):

Oh damn. Then do tell us and keep us out of misery of suspense! Big grin

edina

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 23):
SQ and EK don't even have flat seats? How is this far behind them?

Do more research

RoseFlyer is talking about the true horizontal flat seats, which BA, VS & NZ have not the inclined flat seats which you slide off the end.......
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

aerohottie

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Edina (Reply 32):
RoseFlyer is talking about the true horizontal flat seats, which BA, VS & NZ have not the inclined flat seats which you slide off the end.......

As was I... SQ have just announced a new seat which is also horizontal.
What?

BA0284

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting SapphireLHR (Reply 28):
Any one yet worked out how they have acheived 25% increase in the width on the seat/bed still retaining 8 abreast and without reducing the width of the isle???? The main surprise is still to come.

It looks like they've taken away the little seat boxes by the side of the seat (by the window) that people used to put their bags in, that took up quite a bit of space. There was also about a 6" gap between the edge of the seat and the boxes if i remember correctly. (well that's for upstairs, not sure on downstairs!!)

With the new blind thing, does that mean you only get 1 window per seat to look out of???

Looks pretty good though, would like to see the rest!!

BA0284  Smile

MYT332

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm

"The year is 1987 and BA launches the latest Club World. In a freak mishap, the designers base their design on the Buck Rogers tv show and produce something that isn't contemporary, returning the new look cabin, many years out of date."

Anybody else think that? No?
One Life, Live it.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:10 pm

New Business Class unveiled

British Airways today (November 13) unveils its next generation business class flat bed.

The new Club World bed is 25 per cent wider and offers more privacy, greater comfort, with more storage.

The £100 million overhaul of Club World is part of an investment programme in the airline's products and services that includes enhancements to its First Class cabin and the introduction of an on-demand in-flight entertainment system in every cabin across the longhaul fleet.

Advances in design, technology and materials have been harnessed to take British Airways' flat bed concept to the next level, complemented by a new cabin interior.

Key features include:

· Even more comfortable six feet long fully-flat bed that is 25 per cent wider.
· A new 'z' bed position that extends to six foot six inches and allows the body to assume a position similar to that in zero gravity, ideal for watching movies.
· Electronically operated privacy screens using an innovative opaque material, Lumisty.
· A laptop locker where customers can stow electronic items, a small bag and shoes.
· Standard 110v US style in-seat power socket that only needs a UK/USA adaptor.
· An enhanced in-flight entertainment system that allows customers to pause, stop, fast-forward or rewind up to 100 films and TV programmes, and play games on larger 10-inch digital screens.
· An onboard Club Kitchen where customers can enjoy hot and cold snacks in between meals.

Willie Walsh, British Airways chief executive said: "British Airways set the industry benchmark with the launch of the first flat bed for business customers in 2000. Our new Club World flat bed re-establishes our position as market leader.

"Our premium cabins are our most profitable segment and we are re-configuring our aircraft to increase Club World capacity by eight per cent, moving from 38 to 52 seats on some of our Boeing 747 aircraft.

"We are giving our customers what they want - not gimmicks and gadgets - but an environment that is comfortable, flexible and private, with service that anticipates their every need."

The new interior features new lighting and a softer colour palette of neutral warm greys, navy and blue to create a relaxing and stylish environment. Thicker pale taupe quilts, new linen and pillows fabrics in the traditional Osborne and Little damask design complete the understated look.

At the same time the airline will introduce improvements to its first class service including the introduction of a new 'Turndown Service' on flights departing after 7.30pm, a new Anya Hindmarch washbag, new sleeper suits and for the first time, all customers will receive slippers. New catering will be introduced from January 2007. The enhancements, introduced across the longhaul fleet will be available from November 14, 2006 and come ahead of a planned major overhaul of the First class cabin.

ends

November 13, 2006 114/GJ/06

Notes to editors:

· The roll-out of new Club World will take up to 18 months. The first aircraft will be in service at the end of November 2006.
· New Club World will be available across the airline's fleet of 57 Boeing 747s and 43 Boeing 777s.
· Premium represents 20 per cent of BA's capacity.
· Last year premium grew over eight per cent.
· British Airways flies more beds to more destinations than any other airline with 5,000 Club World beds to 72 destinations.
· The Club World flat beds are designed by the airline's in-house design team, together with international design consultants, Tangerine and manufactured by BEAerospace of Kilkeel, Northern Ireland. The cabin interior was created in conjunction with Winkreative, the design and advertising agency set up by Tyler Brule.

Source: British Airways plc

[Edited 2006-11-13 12:13:24]

Richard28

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 36):
· Even more comfortable six feet long fully-flat bed that is 25 per cent wider.

can't help but think there is some spin in this statement, as making it 25% wider should decrease the number of seats per row from 8 to 6 - but it is still 8 abreast on the 747.

So there is some manipulation of the measurements here.

The area by the legs could now be much narrower than the current design, or perhaps they are including the arm rests as the width of the bed (even though they dont seem to recline fully).

Seems quite unimpressive overall - especially after the new SQ business class launch last week.

It seems to lack a "wow" factor to me.

SapphireLHR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 31):
Oh damn. Then do tell us and keep us out of misery of suspense!

Sorry for delay in replying been off line for a while.
I have been reliably informed that the extra room in width has been gained by moving the Club Class back to where the World Traveller plus is now situated the aircraft fuselage here is wider than at its current position. A small bar and "Raid the larder" fridge will be situated at the door 2 entrance.
So now the config's will be First at the front, then world Traveller Plus and then Club and at the back World Traveller.

Richard28

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting SapphireLHR (Reply 38):
I have been reliably informed that the extra room in width has been gained by moving the Club Class back to where the World Traveller plus is now situated

The fuselage further back is slightly wider - but not 25% wider? Dont think this fully explains it.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:28 pm

Picture!

bastew

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 33):
Quoting Edina (Reply 32):

Perhaps a bit unfair to compare BA's new product with one that hasn't even launched yet (SQ). I think SQ's looks GREAT. But I think it will also have it's fair share of critics regarding the sleeping position in the bed.

Passengers will only be able to sleep in a 'diagonal' position: your head must stay to the right side of the seat and your legs are positioned to the left in an alcove (within the seat infront).

When in an upright position, the new SQ seat will only have a seat pitch of 50" compard to 70" on BA. (source: Nov edition of Business Traveller)

However, as a trade off passengers will gain the widest seat in Business class (when configured as an upright seat) and direct aisle access from ever seat.

And of course the world class service and IFE SQ is famous for.

Quoting BA0284 (Reply 34):
It looks like they've taken away the little seat boxes by the side of the seat (by the window) that people used to put their bags in, that took up quite a bit of space. There was also about a 6" gap between the edge of the seat and the boxes if i remember correctly. (well that's for upstairs, not sure on downstairs!!)

Thats right BA, the small boxes at floor level are only on the upper deck to compensate for the small overhead lockers up there.

I wonder how they will do meal services.

Well with the current (old??) CW cabin we were able to do an acrobatic act and go in front of or behind the aisle seat to serve the window or middle seat. The 'cabin service standards' for the new CW says we now must lower the privacy screen and serve accross the passenger sat in the aisle seat as it is pretty impossible to get around the seats even with our well developed acrobatics.  Wink

LGWspeedbird

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Just been reading all about the New Club World on the staff intranet it looks good the cabin will seem alot brighter.

The only thing that still annoyes me is that you still have to climb over people to get to the aisle  grumpy 

Other than that cant wait to have a go, I wonder when the LGW 777 fleet will get it (if ever?)

LGWspeedbird
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

GBOAC

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:16 pm

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 39):
The fuselage further back is slightly wider - but not 25% wider? Dont think this fully explains it.

The extra width is on the seat itself - thinner 'shell' and arm rests which go down with the seat providing much needed extra shoulder room. The product is an excellent evolution of the current seat, but not a revolution (like NCW was first time around). There is no 'manipulation of measurements' going on. It is still a 2-4-2 on the main deck of a 772/744.

Bloody good show BA  thumbsup 

markgov

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting GBOAC (Reply 43):

Looks like the armrests do drop down (quoted from :-http://bapress.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bapress.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?&p_faqid=7277&p_created=1163411565 )

The bed is now 25.25 inches wide (64cms), 5.25 inches wider than its 20 inch (51cm) predecessor. This has been achieved by simply enabling the arms to be lowered so that they become level with the side of the bed. For the first time, the seat also has a 'z' position which supports the knees and back. The bed will increase from six feet to six feet and six inches when in the 'z' setting.

And FINALLY...they've stopped people from being able to leave the overhead lights on when everyone else is trying to sleep. :-

Overhead lighting has been removed and customers will now benefit from shoulder height lighting for reading and working; a wash of light that floods the table when it is open and a light that illuminates the new drawer.

Looks like an improvement overall, I'll see for myself tomorrow.

scbriml

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:03 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 14):
Our business passengers, the backbone of our profits, essentially spend their world in three places: Home, the office, and the air. 82% of Club World passengers are travelling on a business related trip, 77% have not paid for their own ticket, their company has.

Glad to see you actually read the endless surveys I get asked to fill in! wink 

The new cabin does look a nice enhancement to the existing one.

However, I would echo one complaint that others have voiced - the old "step-over" in the middle of the night if you need a pee!

In addition, I don't see any great improvement in the "privacy" for the two poor saps who get stuck with the middle seats in the 4-across section. Or is that a double-bed? Wow!

I am looking forward to experiencing the new seats. Even more, the new cabin service. BA's CW food service is in need of distinct improvement.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

bastew

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 45):
Glad to see you actually read the endless surveys I get asked to fill in!

Hehe, well I don't read them personally, some poor computer in the subcontinent probably does that!

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 45):
In addition, I don't see any great improvement in the "privacy" for the two poor saps who get stuck with the middle seats in the 4-across section. Or is that a double-bed?

you are right, 'privacy' for the two people sat in the middle E & F seats has always been compromised. With the new seats there has been some improvement though. A simple 'pull down' divider between the two middle seats has been incorporated to at least bring a degree of privacy.

Luckily those seats seem to be snapped up by people travelling together.

BA787

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:05 am

Someone enlighten me, so does the clubworld website mean there will be a shower on the plane and that lovely room Big grin

lol Nice work BA

RayChuang

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 am

It will be very interesting to see when will we see the new Club World seats on BA's LHR-SFO route, one of the most profitable routes on BA's international system. I expect BA to try to get it on this route with updated 777-200ER's and 747-400's as soon as possible, given the huge amount of premium traffic between LHR and SFO.

787kq

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:22 am

Still far behind SQ, EK and even VS. And that 2-4-2 configuration...

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 23):
Do more research

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 33):

And the true flat EK business product???