danild

Delta Responds To US Airways!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 am

Delta just posted a response to Us Airways and it's not a NO!

Of course we will see how this develops! but here is what they have to say today

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10454

Delta Air Lines Responds to Reports of Merger with U.S. Airways
ATLANTA, Nov. 15, 2006 – Delta Air Lines’ CEO Gerald Grinstein issued the following statement today regarding U.S. Airways’ proposed merger with Delta:
“We received a letter from U.S. Airways this morning and will of course review it. Delta’s plan has always been to emerge from bankruptcy in the first half of 2007 as a strong, stand-alone carrier. Our plan is working and we are proud of the progress Delta people are making to achieve this objective.
The Bankruptcy Court has granted Delta the exclusive right to create the plan of reorganization until Feb. 15, 2007. We will continue to move aggressively towards that goal."
Delta Air Lines (Other OTC: DALRQ) offers customers service to more destinations than any global airline with Delta and Delta Connection carrier service to 290 destinations in 46 countries. With more than 50 new international routes added in the last year, Delta is America’s fastest growing international airline and is a leader across the Atlantic with flights to 28 trans-Atlantic destinations. To Latin America and the Caribbean, Delta offers more than 400 weekly flights to 49 destinations. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Including its SkyTeam and
Danild

N701AA

RE: Delta Responds To US Airways!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 am

He is basically saying nothing!

Indy

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:38 am

Does the bankruptcy court determine whether or not to grant a merger? Does DL even have a say in it?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

AirTranTUS

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:39 am

All the reasons DL gives for saying "No" are excellent. They also have more service in the Western United States. DL is also upgrading their IFE product and it will become far from what US has. I think US should finish it's current merger and set itself up for the coming years before it decides to join with another carrier.
I love ASO!

danild

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 3):
All the reasons DL gives for saying "No" are excellent. They also have more service in the Western United States. DL is also upgrading their IFE product and it will become far from what US has. I think US should finish it's current merger and set itself up for the coming years before it decides to join with another carrier.

Personally there is nothing I would dislike more than US+DL, Us airways can't even deal with their US+HP issues yet. I'm a travel agent and it's a nightmare with the current 2 reservation codes... there are 2 separate res lines and something as simple as calling to request support my take 3 or 4 transfers until you talk to the right person.

I hope the deal falls through...  Smile *But that's just me
Danild

AirTranTUS

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Danild (Reply 4):
Personally there is nothing I would dislike more than US+DL, Us airways can't even deal with their US+HP issues yet. I'm a travel agent and it's a nightmare with the current 2 reservation codes... there are 2 separate res lines and something as simple as calling to request support my take 3 or 4 transfers until you talk to the right person.

I hope the deal falls through... *But that's just me

checkmark 
I love ASO!

Garri767

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:52 am

i would hate this to go through, i mean, US+DL+HP.... thats THREE major carriers that go down to one. many markets could lose service and lots of competition (lower prices for flying!) would dissapear. and getting off topic, what happens if that company that forms out of the 3 goes bankrupt?! that would be devastating!

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

OOer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:56 am

If DL says no, US could always try a hostile takeover!

atlaaron

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):
US could always try a hostile takeover!

It is an unsolicited bid which is the same basically as a hostile takeover. The Yahoo article already calls it a hostile takeover.

gigneil

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 2):
Does DL even have a say in it?

No. In the end, they don't.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 3):
They also have more service in the Western United States.

Um, what? This is US Airways you're talking about, right? The one with two major Western hubs vs a minor DL one?

NS

OttoPylit

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 am

The response is basically corporate talk for, "We've recieved the letter, and we will give it it's due attention, but don't hold your breath for us to roll out the red carpet." Basically, they can't say, "F*** you!" in a press release, so they are gonna set it over off to the side, just in case Delta's reorganization plan starts to fall apart(unlikely). Personally, I would set it in its proper place, know better as the paper shredder.

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

Wouldn't they have to buy up 50.1% of the current stock to do so?

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

atlaaron

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 10):

No a hostile takeover just basically means you are making the bid without already having the company to be acquired's management buy in.

deltadawg

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

Does HP have enough cash reserves to do this?

I believe this would be a terrible idea. What is it that HP wants with DL? I think it's the international routes, anyone? There is way too much overlapping here to support this merger - ATL & CLT, BOS, LAX, LAS, etc.

Just a bad idea.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

rwsea

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 10):

Or the newly-organized Delta could add a "poison pill takeover defense" plan, which is becoming more common for companies who wish to avoid such takeovers.

B777ER

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:13 am

What was said above is true, in the end, DL managers do not have the final say, the creditors do. Money is what makes the world go round. If the creditors can come out making money on this, I would expect the deal to go through. Thats why Parker made it now instead of waiting until after DL exits bankruptcy.

I think it is a stupid merger. CLT and ATL are their two main hubs and in aviation, that is way to close. How in the hell would they make that work?

ChiGB1973

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 2):
Does the bankruptcy court determine whether or not to grant a merger? Does DL even have a say in it?

The bankruptcy court will hear arguments from creditors and DL, make a decision based on what [the court thinks] would be best for the creditors.

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

Essentially, they are. Seems they have Citigroup backing them with $7+ billion in financing. The creditors are going to be looking hard at this proposition.

DL will have their say in court. But, from what I read, I am thinking the creditors are going with the US deal.

M

B777ER

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 15):
The creditors are going to be looking hard at this proposition.

Or as another has said, Parker has put DL in play. I would not be surprised to see the UAL Corp. put forth a bid and then let the creditors choose which one is best.

Tango-Bravo

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting N701AA (Reply 1):
He is basically saying nothing!

Which is also known as airlinespeak.

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 6):
i would hate this to go through, i mean, US+DL+HP....

Aw c'mon, don't be such a spoilsport Wink just think, an airline fleet that would would include almost every current jetliner type in the "mainline" category: A319/320/321/330, B733/734/738/757/767/777 and MD-88. Did I miss any?

HPAEAA

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 am

I think you could kiss the 733/4's good by and possibly the MD80;s.... that would help reduce fleet types... Parker's always been about playing Boeing against Airbus... driving the price down...
Why do I fly???

ChiGB1973

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 12):

Since when do you need cash reserves for anything. Most people take out mortgages, car loans, personal loans. Citigroup has offered $7.2 billion in financing. It's not really about cash on hand. If US had $7.2 billion on hand, it would not be wise for them to spend every dime on this anyway. It would be financed either way.

Apparently US has enough credibility/credit with Citigroup to get use of this amount of money.

M

flydreamliner

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

This is a hostile takeover. Appealing directly to the creditors of a bankrupt corporation is as hostile as it can get.

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 9):
No. In the end, they don't.

They get a say, just not the deciding say. The creditors have to think management is incompetent to overrule them on something like this. DL has been doing too well lately I think for that to happen.

7.9 billion dollar financing secured from citigroup by US Airways. That's their primary source for money on this one.

Quoting B777ER (Reply 16):
I would not be surprised to see the UAL Corp. put forth a bid and then let the creditors choose which one is best.

Tilton has already been in talks, and was rebuffed by Grinstein. Whether UAL will join in the hostile bid, I don't know. The Reuters article on this cited an aviation consultant who said UA would be the best airline to match up with DL, and that US/DL was the wrong combination, but at perhaps the right time.

A combined UA/DL would be scary. Just scary.

SFO-ORD-ATL-JFK-IAD hubs.... 850 jets, 100k employees (though probably not for long).

If DL is going to get merged, I'd rather it be with UA.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

ssides

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 8):
It is an unsolicited bid which is the same basically as a hostile takeover. The Yahoo article already calls it a hostile takeover.

An unsolicited bid is not exactly the same as a hostile takeover. It only becomes hostile when the board officially declares its opposition to the takeover.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

b777a340fan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:43 am

I was startled when I heard this morning on the Today show. This deal, if it ever goes through (which I personally think it ultimately won't), will not happen until DL comes out of bankruptcy, which could be years in the making. Even THEN, the merger will need to be approved by a federal court, where US/HP will need to have great lawyers to convince a judge that the move won't impose unfair competition. So, bottom line, that probably won't happen until years from now.

Did anyone notice the tone of the statement? It sounded like DL was offended or something. It reminded me of 7th grade PE class where one guy didn't want to go to the other team to play.

MCOflyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:48 am

I hope this happens.This would mean that US could get a real deal on some 787 and 777 a/c. Plus theres a chance of a 739ER order at rockbottom prices. Wouldn't US have control on the options that Boeing holds from DL?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

william

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:50 am

I a big believer in Capitlism as the next person but if you think the Gov. is going to sit by and let this happen?..........heheheh......If you don't think the Delta is not going to call in favors from the state of Geogia or their friends in DC.........hehehehe.......You guys keep believing this.

F9Animal

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:55 am

And would Gerald Grinstein flinch in the slightest way if the pot was sweet for him?

BTW- Whatever happened to Bruce Lakefield from US? Did he get his check and run? Did he even go back and clean out his desk? I heard he got a fat bonus with even fatter bonuses to add to the bonuses he cashed on his extra bonus check that was followed by 23 other bonus checks, and a lump sum payout with benefits and tons of stock...

I don't care how much you love DL or US, if the money is right......................
I Am A Different Animal!!

ChiGB1973

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting William (Reply 24):
I a big believer in Capitlism as the next person but if you think the Gov. is going to sit by and let this happen?..........heheheh......If you don't think the Delta is not going to call in favors from the state of Geogia or their friends in DC.........hehehehe.......You guys keep believing this.

I concur. While I think the bankruptcy court will go for this, the DOJ is not going to let this kind of monopoly happen in the southeast.

I am a firm believer in capitalism too. When the prices of tickets skyrocket in the southeast, other airlines will follow the money. It's what happens in this industry. There are very few innovators, just followers. But, still, I do not think it will get to that point.

M

COERJ145

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

It would be interesting/funny if immediatly after DL rejects the deal if US proposes to NW.

HPRamper

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:05 am

I hope DL says no.

I can't think of a worse merger scenario than US and DL, at this point.

ChiGB1973

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 27):
It would be interesting/funny if immediatly after DL rejects the deal if US proposes to NW.

That one would get court and DOJ approval.

M

deltaflyertoo

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:09 am

Alright guys...

Help me out here...I see no logic to this. Basically I guess they would close/reduce PHL, CLT and SLC down...so that leaves what really big gain in this merger? I mean its pretty much DL intact and US loosing some stuff...

Second thought...there is NOTHING IN BETWEEN! You still have a massive US carrier that does nothing for the tornado belt. I don't know, I don't get any of this. A merger with NW or even AA and of course UAL would have been such a better compliment to USAirways route structure than Delta.

supa7E7

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:10 am

Think of the towns USDL would just OWN...

CAE
MCO
TPA
DCA
LGA
JFK somewhat
NE-Caribbean market
US-VCE
General Europe dominance

The carrier would own the SE United States, be the leader of the NE, and have a reasonable domestic (though not international) Western presence.

The DL Board is mostly irrelevant. If the creditors like US' proposal, it will happen. Not to say it will be a success.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

william

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 am

Yeah........Its such a great idea.....So was US/UA.......wonder why that great idea didn't happen?..........hmm.....or yeah the DOJ.......I am sure they will have no problem with two east coast power houses merging together.....Nah.

dank

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 20):
They get a say, just not the deciding say. The creditors have to think management is incompetent to overrule them on something like this. DL has been doing too well lately I think for that to happen.

Nope. The creditors just have to believe that managements interests and their own interests don't coincide. For example, DL may owe a creditor 5 million dollars. Even if things go well, that creditor might not see that 5 million for 5 or 6 years. US may be willing to give them 3 million today and additional shares in their own company. That may, then, be in the best interest in the creditor. But DL management might see that their own positions may be lost and their investments in their company be diluted and they may believe that in the long run the company will be healthy. Doesn't mean that the creditors think that DL management is incompetent, just that the merger is a better investment for them.

cheers.

ORDagent

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:45 am

All the industry analysts believe that more consolidation is necessary and we should be left with three network airlines. I really don't like the idea from a airline geek point of view but it will be necessary. I like an NW / DL merger as they already market each other in sky team and CO / DL could work due to fleet commonality. DL already has too many aircraft types as it is. My only concern is that DL and US have very different corporate cultures. Things are going to get really interesting here in the U.S. if this merger goes through. More would happen as well.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:55 am

One very appealing part of what Parker is offering to his prey is the opportunity to keep their name. DL instinctively resists a UA merger because the merged entity would without question be called United Airlines. (Reminds me of when Union Pacific Railroad bought Southern Pacific, Western Pacific, and Missouri Pacific. They kept the "Union" from Union Pacific and the "Pacific" from Southen Pacific, Western Pacific and Missouri Pacific, and called the thing "Union Pacific". However, in the event of a United purchase, you can't even say that they would take the second half of Delta's name, because Delta uses the now-unusual appellation "Air Lines" rather than "Airlines" (just as the Long Island Rail Road uses "Rail Road" rather than "Railroad").

It's infinitely more appealing to an acquired entity and its employees to continue to use the familiar name of their company; it makes the medicine a lot easier to swallow.

Most likely, hubs would be rationalized around PHX and LAX in the West (deemphasizing SLC), and around JFK and ATL in the East (and picking one of PHL, CLT and CVG as the primary "secondary" hub and deemphasizing the other two).

Delta has the best suite of online tools and airport self-service tools of anybody out there, so the DL IT folks can probably rest easy that the US stuff would be moved onto their system, albeit at a probably-higher cost-per-res than America West was paying, but with an instant upgrade in functionality and sophistication.

In my view, you'd have a lot of employee resistance, and a major culture clash. US's employees were hoping for and seeking a leader that they could trust, and seem to have found that in Parker, even if it meant an acquisition of their company. DL's employees are starting to feel good about their carrier and its plans again. The big concern that I have about their international focus is that the world is a very dangerous place, and we saw what happened to International travel post-9/11. I am concerned that the basket into which DL's eggs are being placed is not a safe one, even if it is one that inspires employee morale ("International" Airline, Yeah, Baby!) and causes a short-term boost in yield.

ultrapig

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:56 am

Under the Bankrutpcy Code management has an exclusive period to file a plan of reorganization. The plan must be confirmed if the different classes of creditors vote to accept it by 2/3 in number and 50% in amount of claim

If the reject it (or any one class rejects it and votes "No") the management or any other proponent of a plan can try to "cram it down" . Its a complicated process but it involves the proponenent proving that the plan is "fair and equitable"

The thing to look for here is that US Airways has made an offer-The various creditor groups will now measure the value they get from any proposed Delta management plan to what they would get under the US Air Plan. It sounds like the US Air Plan will offer creditors cash now and stock with a market value ont he effective date. Delta must offer a plan which the court can find feasible to pay its creditors at least as much or the Delta Creditors will vote "NO" and the Plan will likely not be confirmed. Its also possible that the Court will NOT extend the exclusive period and allow a group of Delta creditors to file a plan which provides for a US Airways sale.

Keep in mind that the Delta shareholders are toast-thjeir stock will almost certainly be cancelled. If there is a US Airways buy the money won't reach them and if there is a reorganized Delta standalone the plan will provide that the stock in the reorganized Delta will belong to the creditors.

I've simplified this of course but its a pretty good nutshell of what's gonna happen.

Also keep in mind that the "Bankruptcy Court" or Bankrutpcy Judge" don't have a dog in these fights-In Bankrutpcy most things are worked out and the Corut rubber stamps them if there is no objection. Its only when there is a motion filed or impass that the Court then applies the law and decides the case. Also remember that the "best interest of the creditors" is very important -yes I know there are employees but the law passed mostly by conservative makes the former a key issue.

GQfluffy

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 7):

I believe this would be a terrible idea. What is it that HP wants with DL? I think it's the international routes, anyone? There is way too much overlapping here to support this merger - ATL & CLT, BOS, LAX, LAS, etc.

And alienate tens of thousands of DL employees? Smart idea. Someone should kidnap Parker and get his heat-induced ego out of PHX for a while. I for one hopes DL finds a way to pull through all this crap Parker just set them in and make it on their own.
This isn't where I parked my car...

quickmover

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 31):
Think of the towns USDL would just OWN...

CAE
MCO
TPA
DCA
LGA
JFK somewhat
NE-Caribbean market
US-VCE
General Europe dominance

The carrier would own the SE United States, be the leader of the NE, and have a reasonable domestic (though not international) Western presence.

The DL Board is mostly irrelevant. If the creditors like US' proposal, it will happen. Not to say it will be a success.

How about all of those small to medium sized cities up and down the east coast? I'm thinking about the express stations like TRI, AVL, FLO, GSO type of cities. There are a ton of these that would turn into near monopolys.

If this goes through, Airtran needs to get some q400s ordered quick.

aero0729

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:48 am

I hate that US SCareways even started this. This should not be allowed! I hope this does not go trhough. Delta is a historical US Airline and it would eb devastated to see Atlanta filled with US air planes.

positiverate

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 35):
One very appealing part of what Parker is offering to his prey is the opportunity to keep their name.

No one cares about keeping their "name" if it means losing their job.

USPIT10L

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting Aero0729 (Reply 39):
I hate that US SCareways even started this. This should not be allowed! I hope this does not go trhough. Delta is a historical US Airline and it would eb devastated to see Atlanta filled with US air planes.

Delta would be the surviving name.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

ksupilot

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 am

We may be seeing this soon:

Big version: Width: 643 Height: 343 File size: 182kb

treebeard787

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 am

Agreed 100%!!!!
Allons-y!

Jerseyguy

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:13 am

If this merger were go thru what would happen to DLs plans for their domestic long haul product?
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

S12PPL

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Danild (Thread starter):
Delta just posted a response to Us Airways and it's not a NO!

Where is he saying "NO!"???
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

snn2003

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 am

Has anyone noticed the combined route map on USAirways website? The eastern coast is a mess...
Here!
One way, IAH-RTB please! No return ticket required.

upsmd11

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:23 am

From being on this site a while it's obvious that we have our hearts into our favorite airlines. While that may be great for this forum we all need to remember that an airline is a business owned by stockholders who expect a viable business and a respectful return on investment.

If an airline sells, goes bankrupt or something else it's going to be devastating but it's the people behind the scenes we should be pulling for. I'm sure the folks in Atlanta won't mind working for any airline as long as they have a job and money to feed their families with.

With the utmost of respect to the loyalists here let's remember the jobs, the people and the families who depend on a job and not our emotions.

Cheers,
John

S12PPL

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 19):
Since when do you need cash reserves for anything.

Agreed. People re-finance their house to take cash out for vacations, cars, etc. all the time.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Charger

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 am

I hope the deal falls through... *But that's just me

And me too!!

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 22):
Did anyone notice the tone of the statement? It sounded like DL was offended or something

I would be offended also. Of all the airlines why did it have to be US.